Any Stephen King fans?

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any Stephen King fans?

One of the books I requested and received for Christmas was:

From "Carrie" to "Cell", the Terrifying Truth Behind the Horror Master's Fiction

The Science of Stephen King: From Carrie to Cell, The Terrifying Truth Behind the Horror Masters Fiction.

Stephen King is certainly one of my all time favourite authors when I'm reading purely for fun, so I thought this book might be amusing.  I was kind of expecting a "LOL people might really be able to move things with their minds, here's the evidence LOL" kind of a book, but it wasn't like that at all.

Basically, each chapter takes a central theme of a Stephen King story (like aliens in The Tommyknockers, telekinesis in Carrie, and plague in The Stand) and gives a history of earlier stories that used the same themes, which is great if you are looking for suggestions of other things to read.  Then it gives a brief history of scientific thinking on the various topics, like Carl Sagan's estimates using the Drake equation, and outbreaks of bird flu during the war that killed millions of people.  It also dabbles in various philosophers' ideas about the mind etc in the case of the Carrie story.

The way the bits about the history of scientific thinking reminded me a lot of the way the history of physics/cosmology was presented in Stephen Hawkings' Brief History of Time.

So, basically, I'm all for the popularisation of sciences, as long as the popularisation doesn't depend on the 'dumbing down' of the sciences, which eventually turn into theistic catchphrases like "DNA is God's language".  The way to not do this is simply to not overstate things, just to get people interested enough to investigate things themselves. 

That all being the case, I'd recommend this for a nice light read on the history of various scientific fields, and anybody who enjoyed Stephen King's books and is looking for other books with similar themes.

I think they also have done other books with titles like "The science of superheroes", which I haven't read, but would probably be pretty similar.

RagenGaijin
RagenGaijin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never liked any King books

I never liked any King books or movies.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I enjoyed the movie

I enjoyed the movie adaptations to his books.

However, I attempted to read 4 of his books and could not complete a single one.  That is an all time low for me.  There was only one other author that I could not finish a book of.  Piers Anthony.  Gaugh.  But still there is only one of Piers' books that I tried to read that I refused to finish(I've only read a couple of his books though.)

And this is coming from a person that can read technical manuals from cover to cover.  Not for enjoyment mind you, but at least they hold some interest to me.

However, my wife loves Stephen King.  And you can't really argue against the huge success he's had as an author.  So I admit I must be an oddball.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
My senior English thesis

My senior English thesis was on 'The Stand'. I got a B. When I asked why, my teacher informed me that such books were not considered 'classics' and my assignment had been to research a 'classic'. I have often considered confronting her now concerning the legitimacy of my claim that it was/is and probably will be a 'classic'.

I was told by my cousin that the following year books had to be approved beforehand. She tried to get 'It' approved to no avail and blamed me for fucking up the system. lol. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love the many worlds

I love the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, and it's something fiction writers have begun to embrace - which is great. Stephen King's latest writings, and really a lot of the old ones, actually tie together in certain little ways. I'd be curious to know if that book addresses The Dark Tower series and its parallel worlds theme.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Didn't really care for Cell.

Didn't really care for Cell.

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote: I

inspectormustard wrote:
I love the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, and it's something fiction writers have begun to embrace - which is great. Stephen King's latest writings, and really a lot of the old ones, actually tie together in certain little ways. I'd be curious to know if that book addresses The Dark Tower series and its parallel worlds theme.

Yep.  You'll find things like that mentioned in Chapters 5 "Up the Dimensions with Stephen King" (Dark Tower and Insommnia) 6 "Traveling in time with Stephen King" (The Langoliers) and in particular chapter 7 "Parallel Worlds" (The Mist, From a Buick 8, The Dark Tower and The Talisman)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: My

darth_josh wrote:

My senior English thesis was on 'The Stand'. I got a B. When I asked why, my teacher informed me that such books were not considered 'classics' and my assignment had been to research a 'classic'. I have often considered confronting her now concerning the legitimacy of my claim that it was/is and probably will be a 'classic'.

I was told by my cousin that the following year books had to be approved beforehand. She tried to get 'It' approved to no avail and blamed me for fucking up the system. lol. 

Dude, it took me a week to read all 1,015 pages of that shit when I was sixteen. I listened to the DeLeo brothers (Stone Temple Pilots) side project, "Talk Show" the entire time, and it lined up somehow. What the hell makes something a classic?