What Happens When Thoughts Stop/Cease? {Moved to General Conversations}

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
What Happens When Thoughts Stop/Cease? {Moved to General Conversations}

All Atheists Are Thinkers. Logic and thought are king. It rules the day.

What happens when thoughts stop/cease?

I'm interested in the scientific view.

Please enlighten me with your science!

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: What

zennotes wrote:

When our thoughts stop/cease then we don't think anymore. With no thoughts we can't think. I'm not a scientist but my guess is that they will agree that when the brain no longer produces thoughts, then we can't think.

For example, if a person is killed in a car accident and his brain dies, it no longer produces thoughts. Only a functional brain can produce thoughts. Just like if the heart stops it can no longer pump blood.

There is no trustworthy evidence that human thoughts can continue without a brain. This may not be the scientific answer you're looking for. But it's the logical answer.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You convert to Christianity?

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzel wrote: You

MattShizzel wrote:

Who? Me? Not in this lifetime.

If I ever convert to a religion it will be the one that has reincarnation. Because that way when I die, I might come back as Jesus. And then let the fun begin!!! Yeeee Haaaa!!!

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: All Theists

zennotes wrote:
All Theists Are Thinkers.

Since when?

R/

Lenny

www.kaosium.org 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: All

zennotes wrote:

All Atheists Are Thinkers. All Theists Are Thinkers.

Please enlighten!

This most likely means that you are dead. You will probably buried.

What will death be like? No one can say, because none of us have ever been dead, but I can give you my opinion in the form of two questions.

What year were you born?

What is your clearest memory from ten years before that?

That's what death is like.

Hope you got what you wanted! 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've written an essay that

I've written an essay that deals directly with your question.  Please take a minute and give it a read.

You can find it HERE.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: What

Archeopteryx wrote:
What will death be like? No one can say, because none of us have ever been dead,...

Actually this is something I've thought of before.

What does "being dead" mean?

Does it mean you are not alive?

If so then we have all been dead.  I wasn't alive in 1616.  So I was dead back then.

Do you have to live first before you are dead?  Why?  Not-existing is not-existing.  What does it matter if you existed in the past or never existed?  Or haven't existed yet?

It's odd how humans think of death.  Death is basically saying a person is "no longer alive" to most people.  However someone that has never been born is still in the exact same state of existence.  I hereby name a person that has never existed.  Hooalaw Fringhaven.  He never existed.  He never will exist.  He will never live.  He is forever dead.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote:All

zennotes wrote:

All Atheists Are Thinkers. All Theists Are Thinkers.

Please enlighten! 

Does a thought think? Please enlighten!

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Do you have

Watcher wrote:
Do you have to live first before you are dead?

The answer is yes. You have to have lived to be dead.

The only exception is if you're a born again zombie. And then you'd be born, then dead, then you come back to life and then become born again except that you're really still dead. It's all very confusing and a real headache for the census bureau.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a differnce between

There is a differnce between non existance and being dead, you didn't exists per se in 1616, however to be dead you have to be born. Anything before your birth you were non existance, after you are born, then you can die.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:There is

latincanuck wrote:
There is a differnce between non existance and being dead, you didn't exists per se in 1616, however to be dead you have to be born. Anything before your birth you were non existance, after you are born, then you can die.

Ok, cool.  So non-existance is only considered "death" if you had prior existance.

I can work with that.

However, what is the difference to the individual in discussion?

Also, yeah you can "die" if you exist.  That's an action.  Death however is a state of being.

I don't fear death at all.  I fear that I might die painfully.  But I don't fear being dead.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
That's a circular argument.

Thought is the object.

Thinker is the subject. 

The object cannot subjectivise itself. For that to happen, consciousness is necessary.

Thoughts do not possess consciousness. Check it out for yourself.

Work with your own thoughts for a while. 

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Thinking / Thoughts

Its interesting that so many Atheists believe that reason is king. That it is all. And when you pose a question such as what happens when thoughts stop, people start talking about death and the afterlife experience.

This is all nonsense.

Again. What happens when thoughts cease/stop, but you are not dead. You are still alive. What then.

Science is great for the things it does well. But there are some things science cannot do and will never be able to do. Namely peer into the human heart. (No, not the red lump beating in your chest, but the source of your being.)

Science can only see as far as the end of its nose.

Where do thoughts come from?

Where do they go to?

What happens when thoughts stop, but your still alive. You are not dead.

Then what?

Most people cannot conceive of this because they cannot stop their thoughts. Their thoughts intrude into their head. Like a train passing through a station.

Everyone experiences thoughts but no one questions them.

Why can you not switch off your thoughts.

The thoughts run through your head continuously as a stream runs. You cannot turn it on or turn it off.

The best you can do is point thought in a direction or focus it on a subject.

If they are your thoughts, why can you not control them.

Switch them off. Or just change the subject.

Why?

We are a slave to our thoughts, but we never question them.

We merely serve them. They are our masters.

When we are upset, and we want certain thoughts to stop, we can't turn them off.

Why?

What do your scientists say about this?

Enlighten me, please!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
zennotes wrote: All

zennotes wrote:

All Atheists Are Thinkers. Logic and thought are king. It rules the day.

Please enlighten me with your science!

The same thing that happened before you were concieved by your parents. Nothing is what you were before you were born and nothing is what you will be after you die. 

Other than living on in the memories of the people who knew you when you were alive, you will be dead, and that is it. We know enough about biological life to know when the brain dies so does conciousness.

Why do people insist on fictional hocus pokus to explain life? You know that Thor didnt magically make lighting, so why would death require a magical explination either?

Clinging to the mythological concept of an afterlife is a biological missfire of evolution. Dawkins discribes this well in "The God Delusion". It is like a moth mistaking artificial lightbulbs for moonlight.

Our genes evolved to drive us to continue, our history of scientific ignorance allowed humans to make bad guesses as to what happens after death, as well as bad guesses as to the earth being flat, as it was also a bad guess that humans once thought the heart did the thinking and not the brain. 

What happens when you throw a virgin in a volcano? Well, the people in ancient times who actually did that thought that they were pleasing an angrey mountain god, but in reality they were merely commiting murder.

My brain will die and decompose  and I will cease to exist. I dont have a problem facing reality and I dont need hocus pokus myth to explain it. No Superman vs Kriptonite explination about bearded men in white robes vs men in red leotards with pitchforks needed to explain death. YOU DIE and that is it and you will have the same conciousness then as you did before you were concieved, NONE!

Stop crying about people pointing out reality to you. It is not our fault ignorant people wrote fictional myth and falsely believe it as fact. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
zennotes wrote: Its

zennotes wrote:

Its interesting that so many Atheists believe that reason is king. That it is all. And when you pose a question such as what happens when thoughts stop, people start talking about death and the afterlife experience.

This is all nonsense.

Again. What happens when thoughts cease/stop, but you are not dead. You are still alive. What then.

Science is great for the things it does well. But there are some things science cannot do and will never be able to do. Namely peer into the human heart. (No, not the red lump beating in your chest, but the source of your being.)

Science can only see as far as the end of its nose.

Where do thoughts come from?

Where do they go to?

What happens when thoughts stop, but your still alive. You are not dead.

Then what?

Most people cannot conceive of this because they cannot stop their thoughts. Their thoughts intrude into their head. Like a train passing through a station.

Everyone experiences thoughts but no one questions them.

Why can you not switch off your thoughts.

The thoughts run through your head continuously as a stream runs. You cannot turn it on or turn it off.

The best you can do is point thought in a direction or focus it on a subject.

If they are your thoughts, why can you not control them.

Switch them off. Or just change the subject.

Why?

We are a slave to our thoughts, but we never question them.

We merely serve them. They are our masters.

When we are upset, and we want certain thoughts to stop, we can't turn them off.

Why?

What do your scientists say about this?

Enlighten me, please!

Science does not have the answer to alot of things. But scientific method is far better than stupid claims of multiple armed deities, 72 virgins or zombie gods surviving rigor mortis after three days.

"you dont have the answer so by default my god exists" BULLSHIT.........been there, done that, old hat.

"you dont have the all answers so by default Allah exists"

"you dont have all the answers so by default Yahwey exists" 

"You dont have all the answers so by default my purple snarfwidget exists"

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

You are merely upset that atheists are calling religion on its ancient hocus pokus claims that are nothing but pure fantacy. Isis is the same as Marduke is the same as Mythras, Dionisus, Allah and Jesus. Mythical beings people litterally believed in as fact without a lick of evidence. It is all fiction, I am sorry if you cant face that. We cant help you out of that delusion if you dont want help.

If you want to live your life believing that human flesh is capable of surviviving brain death, celular death, lack of bloodflow to the brain and body and then "ABRACDABRA, HOCUS POKUS" magically rose from the dead, you might as well believe that I can actually fart a full sized Lamborginni out of my ass.   

Cut the crap. If you are alive but your thought function has ceased, neurologists can scan the brain to tell you that only the base kneejerk functions are at play. Much like stepping on a spider and their legs twitch.

You would be a vegitiable and you wouldnt feel a thing because you could not know. Why you insist on a magical answer for mundain reality of nature is nausiating and insulting science.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: That's a

zennotes wrote:

Thought is the object.

Thinker is the subject.

The object cannot subjectivise itself. For that to happen, consciousness is necessary.

Here's what I'm thinking. When your brain stops thinking you can't have anymore thoughts.

For example, a man has a heart attack and dies. He's not lying there on the floor thinking, "Oh my. This is awkward." That's because his heart has stopped, so it no longer supplies the brain with the blood it needs to function. Therefore the brain also stops working.

One of the main functions of the brain is to create thoughts. Only a brain can produce thoughts. If the brain which produces thoughts no longer works, then thoughts come to a complete halt. There's no credible evidence that thinking or consciousness continues after the brain stops working.

zennotes wrote:
Thoughts do not possess consciousness. Check it out for yourself.

Work with your own thoughts for a while.

While I check it out, why not tell us what you've learned?

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
As with all who believe

As with all who believe that logic is king. They have no experience beyond thought. Thought is their master.

To ask the question again what happens when thought stops.

Answer this for me?

You appear unable. It is beyond your realm.

You speculate about death and the afterlife, but these are  extrapolations. These are not your experience.

You start to talk about heart attacks and brain dead, and all the other ideas and thoughts you have about the subject.

But you have no experience of it.

If a man wants to know the flavour of the seven seas, he must walk to the ocean, dip his finger in the water and place the sea water on his tongue. At that moment he will know the taste of all the oceans of the world. 

This is done by experience, not speculation.

Above is mere idle speculation about brain dead, and all the rest of it. 

You have no experience of this. It is out side your realm of and therefore open to speculation. Your science cannot help you. Your Atheism cannot help you. You are stuck in a raft of your own thoughts. Having no point on which to hold.

Your science has  deserted you. All you can do is "THINK ABOUT IT".

To post the question once again, what happens to you when thoughts stop, but you are not dead?

Many years ago, I used to get  Jehovah's Witnesses at our door selling their version of religion.

I would ask the same question. They would shake their heads and give up saying you were dead if there was no thought.

So you Atheists are stuck in the same boat as the Jehovah's.

You have no answer to a fundamental question of life.

Who is the thinker of your thoughts?

Why can you not stop your thoughts?

Why can you not control your thoughts?

Common wise guys. You have your science. Give me your answer.

I bet you will not be able to provide a suitable answer. Why?

Because it is beyond reason. Reason is the king of thought.

Reason is the master of thought. 

You are stuck.

Like a leaf in a stream, you are carried by the power of your thoughts. And you cannot control them.

OK Science guys.

Here's an experiment. Hang on to one single thought.

I guarantee you will not be able to. The thought stream is too powerful for you to control. It is stonger than you.

No No many will retort. These are my thoughts. If that is the case...

How come you cannot control them?

And what is worse, you will deny it. 

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 said something

Brian37 said something like:

The same thing happened before you were conceived by your parents....

Was that your experience?

What was your experience at the time?

Did you have thought?

Did you have the abscence of thought?

I'm not interested in your speculation. Only in your direct experience.

You think it is not possible to live without thought. Hogwash.

You think that you will die if thoughts stop. This is because of your limited experience.

And therefore you limit others by your limited experience.

Isn't this what science is supposed to overcome? The limited view of the few?

Because you have not experienced "No-Thought" you decry it and exclude it as a possilbe human experience.

Rubbish.

Many experience the state of "No-Thought". Most are not even aware of it.

Do cats think? If so in what language?

Do dogs think? If so in what language?

Do monkeys think? If so in what language?

You experince a thought-free state everyday, but are not aware of it. Science cannot help you here. Zen can.

Everynight you drop into a thought-free, when you drop into deep sleep.

You have been doing it for years, but have not been aware of it.

When you go to sleep tonight, watch your thought-stream. Watch it carefully. If you are very observant, you will notice thoughts taper off before sleep.

But watch very carefully of you will miss it. This is the doorway to a world where science cannot take you.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: As with

zennotes wrote:

As with all who believe that logic is king. They have no experience beyond thought. Thought is their master.

To ask the question again what happens when thought stops.

Answer this for me?

You appear unable. It is beyond your realm.

You speculate about death and the afterlife, but these are  extrapolations. These are not your experience.

You start to talk about heart attacks and brain dead, and all the other ideas and thoughts you have about the subject.

But you have no experience of it.

If a man wants to know the flavour of the seven seas, he must walk to the ocean, dip his finger in the water and place the sea water on his tongue. At that moment he will know the taste of all the oceans of the world. 

This is done by experience, not speculation.

Above is mere idle speculation about brain dead, and all the rest of it. 

You have no experience of this. It is out side your realm of and therefore open to speculation. Your science cannot help you. Your Atheism cannot help you. You are stuck in a raft of your own thoughts. Having no point on which to hold.

Your science has  deserted you. All you can do is "THINK ABOUT IT".

To post the question once again, what happens to you when thoughts stop, but you are not dead?

Many years ago, I used to get  Jehovah's Witnesses at our door selling their version of religion.

I would ask the same question. They would shake their heads and give up saying you were dead if there was no thought.

So you Atheists are stuck in the same boat as the Jehovah's.

You have no answer to a fundamental question of life.

Who is the thinker of your thoughts?

Why can you not stop your thoughts?

Why can you not control your thoughts?

Common wise guys. You have your science. Give me your answer.

I bet you will not be able to provide a suitable answer. Why?

Because it is beyond reason. Reason is the king of thought.

Reason is the master of thought. 

You are stuck.

Like a leaf in a stream, you are carried by the power of your thoughts. And you cannot control them.

OK Science guys.

Here's an experiment. Hang on to one single thought.

I guarantee you will not be able to. The thought stream is too powerful for you to control. It is stonger than you.

No No many will retort. These are my thoughts. If that is the case...

How come you cannot control them?

And what is worse, you will deny it. 

No offense but you are sounding like a college student sitting around with his buddies smoking weed.

Without the physical firing of synapses in your brain what is "you" is no longer.

You will not survive your own death.  In any way.

And if you know otherwise, exactly where did you "dip your finger" to attain this information?

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: No offense

Watcher wrote:
No offense but you are sounding like a college student sitting around with his buddies smoking weed.

LMAO!!!

Hey man. Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be dead? Seriously man. Think about it. Or what it feels like to not be born yet? Wow. I bet it's really, really, really weird man. ( cough, cough )

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Experience of death is

Experience of death is unnecessary to the formation of a conclusion. All available evidence points to the conclusion that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain. If you eliminate the functionality of one portion of the brain, you eliminate one aspect of consciousness. If you eliminate the functionality of two portions of the brain, you eliminate two aspects of consciousness. There is a pattern. If you eliminate the functionality of all portions of the brain, you eliminate all aspects of consciousness—in other words, consciousness ceases. You need not experience 3-1-1-1=0 to conclude that the answer is correct and the same principle applies here.

The question, "What happens to you when thoughts stop, but you are not dead?", is nonsensical. You're including the body as part of the "you." This is nonsensical because "you" entails personhood but if the emergent property of consciousness is eliminated there is no longer any personhood and thus no longer a "you" of which you could speak. The body's mode of operation gives rise to "you" but is not in itself "you." The body I inhabited might be alive but "I" wouldn't be because "I" am the thoughts that arise from my body but no thoughts (and hence no "I&quotEye-wink arise any longer. A better question would be, "What happens to your consciousness when it ceases to emerge from the body but your body is still alive?" The answer would be nothing because a nonexistent consciousness cannot experience anything.

"Who is the thinker of your thoughts?" Thoughts are not thought into existence, otherwise you need to posit the existence of an infinite regress for every single thought within an infinite regress of thoughts. A "who" cannot be responsible, it's nonsensical. A more appropriate question would be, "What causes the thoughts to emerge?" The answer would be the electrochemical processes within my brain and the external stimuli that act upon it.

"Why can you not stop your thoughts?" I don't think you thought this question through very well. One could commit suicide and stop one's thoughts. I think I know what you meant to ask though. The answer would be that matter is over mind rather than mind being over matter. The electrochemical processes within my brain and the external stimuli that act upon it cause the thoughts to continue. People tend to think their consciousness has control over their body but this is wrong. The body has control over their consciousness. "You" are a passive observer with no control over anything, not even yourself.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: You think

zennotes wrote:

It's possible to be catatonic or to be a human vegetable, yes, but the brain is still functioning, and many would call that thinking.

Quote:

You think that you will die if thoughts stop. This is because of your limited experience.

I have to agree with you. You're not thinking and you're still alive, after all. Hard to argue with that.

Quote:

Yeah. That's why you sound kinda crazy right now.

Quote:

Because you have not experienced "No-Thought" you decry it and exclude it as a possilbe human experience.

I do not deny that it's possible to be a vegetable. A tree is alive, and yet we would be hesitant to say that it thinks. It definitely has lots of mechanisms for detecting certain things, but does it think?

Honestly, though, we're not too unrelated, we and our tree friends (happy tree friends?). Our mechanisms are just vastly more numerous and complicated, with mechanisms to deal with mechanisms that deal with other mechanisms and on and on, and many of them are located inside a lump of damp, curvaceous undulations. A lump that experts in the medical field, I hear, like to call "the brain".

Quote:

Rubbish.

Poppycock! 

Quote:

Then how does anyone know they experienced it? 

Quote:

Their own, and in their own way.

Quote:

Their own, and in their own way. Are you of the impression that they don't think? Wow... scary....

Quote:

They think like monkeys, and in monkey language.

You've obviously never seen the incredible research on bonobos. Not only can apes communicate original sentences in sign language, but bonobos have taken it a step further by using written language.

What?! Teh munkiez can writes?

You bet. It's a little pathetic if you think that humans are the only animals on the planet capable of any kind of thought.

Quote:

You experince a thought-free state everyday, but are not aware of it. Science cannot help you here. Zen can.

I experience a thought-free state every day?

Quote:

Actually, your brain is still doing all kinds of shit. You haven't stopped thinking, you've only gone into autopilot.

Quote:

I always wondered how I managed to time warp from 11:00pm to 7:00am every day. I can stop searching my bed for that elusive flux capacitor now.

Quote:

When you go to sleep tonight, watch your thought-stream. Watch it carefully. If you are very observant, you will notice thoughts taper off before sleep.

And for some people they never come back. =(

Quote:

But watch very carefully of you will miss it. This is the doorway to a world where science cannot take you.

A world of snug jackets and basket-weaving. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: And if you

Watcher wrote:

And if you know otherwise, exactly where did you "dip your finger" to attain this information?

ZING!!!! 

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
What happens when you stop

What happens when you stop thinking but are still alive?

Apparently you post nonsense on RRS forums.

Seriously, though, I like Visual Paradox's response.  The OP was largely nonsensical and does sound like the type of garbage that stoners talk about when they think they are being deep.  

Now I've experimented with Zen myself and have discovered that there are other types of conscious experiences that feel different than the kind of conscious experiences we would call "normal."  But this is simply another type of thinking, not the lack of it.  One can learn to quiet the mind and to train yourself to become focused and less distracted by concerns around you, but this is not the lack of thought.  

If I am able to meditate and reach a point of consciousness where I'm not "hearing" a constant background of jumbled ideas, memories, and other processes in the mind I have not stopped thinking.  Rather, I have practiced a skill to think a specific way.  Whether this skill is good or useful is up for debate, but what is not debatable is whether this is the lack of thought or not; It is not the lack of thought.

Thanks for playing.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
zennotes wrote: Brian37

zennotes wrote:

Brian37 said something like:

The same thing happened before you were conceived by your parents....

Was that your experience?

What was your experience at the time?

Did you have thought?

Did you have the abscence of thought?

I'm not interested in your speculation. Only in your direct experience.

And therefore you limit others by your limited experience.

Rubbish.

Ok, since you have never experanced being a purple snarfwidget, you cant prove one doesnt exist. Science cant disprove a purple snarfwidget so therefore one must exist merely because I uttered it.

YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON! Go find a cadaver from a morgue and slice its brain up and stick it under a microscope and look at it. If you cannot understand the horrible use of logic you are postulating you need mental help, SERIOUSLY!

Do us a favor and never put yourself in a postion of teaching any biology course whatsoever. Never become a doctor. PLEASE!

Zen is nothing but new age crap.  

Quote:
I'm not interested in your speculation. Only in your direct experiance

And logic 101 would tell any moron, maybe with the exception of you, that experiances can be misspercived, which makes OBJECTIVE observation more important and requires universal falsifiable tests to insure quality.

Some people think their experiances using voodoo dolls is real . Others make claims about being abducted by litte green men in space saucers, I am quite sure that those people too, believe that their "experiances" are real. Other people sacraficed goats because they believed their experiance, by doing that, would gain them favor from a magical being.

"I have this feeling when". Yea, I am getting a severe case of indegestion with your bullshit logic. 

Quote:
This is the doorway to a world where science cannot take you.

Science does adress this, it is called DELUSION! Just like claims of past lives, and claims of phrophacy. Mere delusions people like believing because it makes them feel good. I am sure crack cocain can make people temporarly feel good, but it most certainly is not good for you.

I used to think there was a boogieman in my closet untill I stared into the darkness and allowed my irises to open up. Then I realized that what I thought was real was merely the shaddow.

Your "Zen" is a bullshit concept. You like it because it makes you feel good, but that is a missfire in your brain and is merely something you falsely believe is real. You are allowing yourself to believe a false impression. Zen is just as credible as prayer and is merely a placebo you like but dont realize is a placebo.

You dont get a pass because you are not a Muslim or Christian.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
You all assume that if

You all assume that if thoughts stop life stops. Why?

Therefore life can only be confirmed if thoughts exist.

Do fly's think?

Do worms think? 

Why is it not possible to live in a state where thoughts have stopped? 

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Why do you suggest that

Why do you suggest that death is necessary for thoughts to stop/cease?

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Why do you keep talking

Why do you keep talking about death?

It is possible to be alive without thoughts.

You do it every day but are not aware of it.

And every night, when you fall to sleep, both deep sleep and dreaming sleep. Thoughts cease.

Have you died each night?

Are you dead and somehow resurrected in the morning?

There are techniques that allow you to experience the cessation of thought, but they take much practice (and no science). 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote:Why do you

zennotes wrote:

It is possible to be alive without thoughts.

You do it every day but are not aware of it.

And every night, when you fall to sleep, both deep sleep and dreaming sleep. Thoughts cease.

Have you died each night?

Are you dead and somehow resurrected in the morning?

There are techniques that allow you to experience the cessation of thought, but they take much practice (and no science). 

Yeah, yeah, yeah buddists and such do that mind trick where they stop having thoughts.  So what?

If you can have life without thoughts then somehow...you...will still exist after death?  Pbhhtt.

And flys do "think" in a way.  They have neurons firing just like we do.  Just not near as many.

You don't die from not thinking.  You die from the neurons stop firing.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a college student.

I'm not a college student. Dont smoke or use drugs of any type.

They physical synapses will continue to fire, but will not give rise to thought.

You don't have to die to experience the state of no-thought.

You don't need drugs.

You don't machines.

You don't need NLP

You DO need effort.

Thought is only necessary when thinking is required.

And much of the time, thinking is not required. But most people do not understand this. They confuse awareness with thought.

They believe awareness is thought. This is not so.

Awareness is necessary for thought, but thought is not necessary for awareness.

The two are quite seperate.

Find out for yourself. Do this as an experiment.

If you drive, a car, a motorbike, a bicycle, roller skates, etc.

When you stop at a red light:

Look at the red light.

Focus your attention on the red light.

Hold your attention on the red light, to the exclusion of everything else.

As your attention holds on the light, it will waver.

A thought will break through and drag your attention away from the red light to the contents of the thought (whatever that may be)

For a short while you will be carried along with the thought.

After a short while, your attention will snap back to the red light or if you carried off on a long thought stream, the car behind will honk for you to move.

Don't give up.

Do this again.

This time hold your resolve, and your attention on the red light.

You will find that the thoughts will push or break through.

You will not be able to stop them.

Even though you may wish to hold your attention on the red light, you will not be able to.

Try it for yourself and see.

Now this begs the question:

If you want to stop thoughts but can't...

Are they your thoughts?

I know I can almost hear the responses:

Of course they are your thoughts, etc, etc, etc, etc,

If they are your thoughts, why can you not pause them?

Why can you not stop them?

Why can you not change the subject when you are upset?

Look at this>

How many times have you been upset over something and the thoughts ran through your head like a raging torrent?

How many times have you wished you could stop them, at that time, but were unable to?

You just had to sit there/stand there as a helpless victim as the thoughts took hold of you.

I used to do this with the Jehovah's that called at my house:

Me: Is that your right hand?

J: Yes.

Me: Then raise it.

J: Yeah I have.

Me: Lower it.

J: Yeah I have.

Me: Move it to the left and right.

J: Yeah.

Me: Now stop your hand moving.

J: Okay.

Me: Now your thoughts. Stop them.

J: Urgh...

Atheists: Urgh...

Atheists: You have to be brain dead, synapses have to fire, etc, etc, etc,

500 years ago, common scientific knowledge stated the world was flat, and anybody who went against the prevailing view was deemed mad.

Are you now suggesting that life without thought is not possible?

Let me clarify, that thinking is still possible when you need to think about things such as maths, etc, etc, etc,

But most of the time thought is extraneous and unnecessary.

Much of the time it interferes with what you are doing.

It is invasive, much like those banner ads that break through your browsing.

When you need to think, think. But the rest of the time, you can just get on with your life with "Quiet Awareness", without that radio playing inside your head, that you cannot turn off.

But I'm sure all the Atheists and Scientists among you will have much to say on the subject.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Why do you keep repeating

Why do you keep repeating yourself?

And most people didn't think the earth was flat 500 years ago.  Aristotle proved that the earth was round in the 4th century BC.  No seafarers thought the earth was flat hundreds of years ago.  They could see distant ships appear to sink as they sailed away over the horizon.

I agree you can learn to meditate where you don't have conscious thoughts.

SO WHAT?

How does that prove that I'm going to survive my death?

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
This argument is a petty

This argument is a petty quibbling about thought's definition. You define thought as neocortex-mediated while others defined it as the entirety of consciousness-inducing brain function. Further, nobody claimed life without neocortex-mediated thought is impossible—please activate your neocortex and read the responses you received. That neocortex-mediated thought isn't responsible for the entirety of consciousness proves the neocortex doesn't act alone but doesn't establish the reality of an afterlife. That must be established by proving the continuity of consciousness after brain death.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Did you learn this tosh in

Did you learn this tosh in high school.

So when you miss the nail and hit your finger you rationalise the process?

Oh this is just the movement of electrical messages along nerve pathways.

When you bang your leg against a metal object, you say:

Oh this is just chemical messangers passing through my blood and through my brains.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Do you go: Arrrrrrgh sh**t. I hit my nail

Or

Arrrrrrgh damnnnnnn, I banged my leg.

The difference is one is the objective scientific view you hold so dear. Which is fine when you are observing something.

But most of the time your experiencing stuff from the subjective but take the objective stance.

As though you could (What a joke)

Next time you bang your finger with a hammer, just go, oh its only electrical messengers moving along nerve pathways.

Go on kid yourself.

Like the rest of humanity, you'll go "Oh S***t". It hurts.

Why do you keep talking about ceasing the functionality of the brain. Who and when was that suggested?

What are you gonna do, force a metal poker into your head?

You can experience the state of no-thought, without the use of drugs, machines, or anything external to you.

All you have to do is focus on your thoughts, and stay with them till they wane, which they will given enough sustained effort.

This does not require you to resort to any outside devices.

All you need is bare attention to what is happening to you at this moment.

Just stay with your present thought.

But I know from experience...

You will not be able to stay with your present thought, it will be pushed aside by another thought, frequently with no association to the current thought or activity.

Why have you never noticed this?

I could tell you why, but its better if you find out for yourself.

One thing I have noticed on this forum is how quickly you posit scientific evidence, measurements, book learning, etc.

But few people trust their empirical experience.

They don't trust it, well apart from their thoughts.

And we all know that thoughts can lead you astray. And often do.

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zen, read my previous

Zen, read my previous response. I have little patience with willful ignorance and stupidity.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
You don't have conscious

You don't have conscious thought?

Those are the only thoughts you can be conscious of. You can't be conscious of unconscious content. It is Un-Conscious.

It's not possible to be aware of unconscious thought.

Un-Conscious excludes the possibility of thought or of any other awareness.

Why do people keep talking about death and the afterlife.

Read all my posts, I have never not once talked about death, the afterlife, re-incarnation, rebirth, or any such matter.

The only subject I have discussed is thought and the cessation of thought.

Many took this to mean death.

It is possible to experience life with no-thought.

This does not mean the end of life or the end of the body or the end of consciousness.

I have not mentioned any of these things. All were contributed by others.

Its nice to note how many go running for their science books to disprove it.

At the present time it is outside the realm of science. Maybe science will catch up one day.

Science has not investigated the realm of No-Thought.

Why, well few scientists have experienced it. Or even thought of it.

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I said

When I said consciousness-inducing I was referring to awareness and subconsciousness. Reread my post.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
By sub-conscious you mean

By sub-conscious you mean below consciousness?

Sub meaning below. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Are you an atheist,

Are you an atheist, zennotes? If you don't answer, I'll assume not.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
I did not define thought as

I did not define thought as anything. I left the door open for others

What is your definition of thought?

Furthermore how many kinds of thought are there?

Don't dip into your science books. Rely on your experience.

As a human being you will have many experience with thought.

But perhaps you have never looked at it, questioned it, tested it.

Is thought your master?

Or can you turn your thoughts off when they bother you?

We all know the situation where you get a tune in your head and you can't stop that damn tune.

No who is the master of the house?

The tune or the perceiver?

Base this on your experience, not on what you read in some book.

Use this as part of your life experience.

Who is the master in your head?

The tune or the listener?

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, I was referring to a

No, I was referring to a beef and bean burrito Undecided

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Quitter. That was such a

Quitter. That was such a cop out.

When a tune you hear runs through your head, again and again and again, its part of your thought experience, why can't not turn it off. 

They are your thoughts aren't they.

Go on give me some scientific cr*p about X Y and Z.

But once again X Y and Z are not part of your experience. 

The tune stuck repeating itself in your head is.

Now, tell me, why can you not turn that tune off.

They are your thoughts, aren't they?

Come on, give me another cop out!!!

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
I'm starting to believe

I'm starting to believe zennotes is related to I AM GOD AS YOU...

Tongue out

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
Visual_Paradox wrote: When

Visual_Paradox wrote:
When I said consciousness-inducing I was referring to awareness and subconsciousness. Reread my post.

If its sub-conscious, its below consciousness.

ie You are not conscious of it and therefore of the experience or the thought

It is below the threshold of consciousness.

It is not consciously experienced.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
HC Grindon wrote: I'm

HC Grindon wrote:

Tongue out

Forget about God or anything external. Forget about life afterdeath. Forget about the afterlife. Forget about any of that stuff. Just deal with the here and now. Just deal with your experience. Or is that too much?

What is your experience?

I only ask the questions?

Why can you not answer?

Why the cop out about god or any other entities.

Read all my posts and give me your answers based on your own experience, not what you have read in books, seen in film or video, or been told by others.

Now thats a simple request. Go for it.

Or does fear rear its ugly head?

Visual_Paradox
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
The subconscious is the

The subconscious is the brain processing information without you being consciously aware of it—the other portions of the brain don't tell the neocortex they're processing information. Those sections of the brain send the information to other sections and it eventually bubbles up into conscious awareness. For example, the subconscious portions of your brain use visual information to determine depth, width, height, distance, color, shape, and texture. Those sections of the brain send information to other sections which cross-reference with memories to determine if the shape is familiar—if it's a friend's face, for example. The information eventually bubbles up into your conscious awareness.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even though I know this

Even though I know this probably won't make a dent in the impenetrable wall of science dodgery and presupposed conclusions, I will go on. I'm in a relatively good mood. Why not. 

Quote:

They physical synapses will continue to fire, but will not give rise to thought.

The root of your problem, zen, is that you are assuming that your definition of "thinking" is the one and only correct definition.

Quote:

Because if all thinking has truly stopped, and I do mean ALL thinking, then death is most likely what you are experiencing.

Quote:

Thought is only necessary when thinking is required.

That was pretty much a purposeless statement. Let me try one of my own:

Communication is only needed, when one needs to communicate.

Yeah. Obviously.

Quote:

And much of the time, thinking is not required. But most people do not understand this. They confuse awareness with thought.

Actually, I think anyone who makes the argument that "sleep is a state where no thinking is taking place" is the one who has that problem.

Quote:

Awareness is necessary for thought, but thought is not necessary for awareness.

Again you're assuming that the definition of thought you are using is the only definition and is the correct definition in all situations.

Quote:

If you drive, a car, a motorbike, a bicycle, roller skates, etc.

When you stop at a red light...

blah... blah.. blah... 

...even though you may wish to hold your attention on the red light, you will not be able to.

Try it for yourself and see.

I don't need to do this experiment to know that the brain does this. No shocking revelations going on here.

Also, it seems harmful to your "state of no-thought" proposition to argue that your brain is unable to prevent new thoughts from intruding. Not sure why you would want to do that.

Quote:

Now this begs the question:

If you want to stop thoughts but can't...

Are they your thoughts?

Yes. The evolutionary purpose of your brain is to make associations, to assess, to run simulations, to predict. That is the point of its existence, in our skulls and in the skulls of all brain-using animals. Obviously, all animals will use them a little differently sense all animals are concerned with different things (and some are more evolved than others). No matter how much you try to make your brain stop doing things, you will not succeed.

Quote:

I know I can almost hear the responses:

Of course they are your thoughts, etc, etc, etc, etc,

If they are your thoughts, why can you not pause them?

I can't stop my heart from beating either, does that mean that my pulse is not my own?

Same silly concept, different organ.

Quote:

Why can you not stop them?

Why can't you stop your heart from beating?

Your stomach from digesting?

Quote:

Why can you not change the subject when you are upset?

Some people can do this better than others. For the ones who can't, it's probably because whatever is upsetting them is seen as a serious and pressing issue. I guarantee you that if you take someone who can't get their mind off a relative that just died, and then put them in a car that is rolling violently at a high speed toward a cliff where it will probably soar over the edge, fall, explode, and kill whoever is inside, they will probably stop thinking about their dead relative so much. At least for as long as all that is going on. It's because something even more upsetting is overriding the thing that was upsetting and doing the overriding before. 

Quote:

How many times have you been upset over something and the thoughts ran through your head like a raging torrent?

How many times have you wished you could stop them, at that time, but were unable to?

Also, a lot of the time when people obsess over a certain thing when they are upset, they do want to stop thinking about it for emotional reasons, but for other reasons (let's say you just caught your spouse in an affair) they don't want to stop thinking about it (because they want a resolution [or revenge in some cases]). It can be a psychological dilemma.

Also that other thing I said about the brain just doing that because it is its evolutionary purpose.

Quote:

You just had to sit there/stand there as a helpless victim as the thoughts took hold of you.

I can stop thinking about something whenever I want. I just can't always control whether or not it will come back soon. The brain makes (figuratively speaking) a million associations a minute. 

Quote:

Me: Now stop your hand moving.

J: Okay.

Me: Now your thoughts. Stop them.

J: Urgh...

You're confusing a software phenomenon with a hardware phenomenon. 

Quote:

Atheists: Urgh...

Urgh... am I really replying to this hocus pocus...

Quote:

500 years ago, common scientific knowledge stated the world was flat, and anybody who went against the prevailing view was deemed mad.

Most often they were probably deemed more heretical than mad. 

Quote:

Are you now suggesting that life without thought is not possible?

It depends on your definition of thought.

Quote:

Let me clarify, that thinking is still possible when you need to think about things such as maths, etc, etc, etc,

Yes. Thinking is needed when you need to think. Yes.

Quote:

But most of the time thought is extraneous and unnecessary.

For theists, probably. And this still probably depends on what you mean by "thinking".

Quote:

Much of the time it interferes with what you are doing.

Truer for some than for others.

Quote:

It is invasive, much like those banner ads that break through your browsing.

Truer for some than for others.

Quote:

When you need to think, think. But the rest of the time, you can just get on with your life with "Quiet Awareness", without that radio playing inside your head, that you cannot turn off.

Maybe it's not a question of whether or not I need to think. Maybe it's a question of whether or not I want to think.

In today's world, I don't need to exercise either, but I still do because I know that it is beneficial to me.

Thinking is beneficial. Therefore, I will do it. 

Quote:

But I'm sure all the Atheists and Scientists among you will have much to say on the subject.

Just be glad our resident brain expert probably doesn't find this thread worth his time. 

Quote:

Did you learn this tosh in high school.

Irrelevant.

Quote:

So when you miss the nail and hit your finger you rationalise the process?

I think you are confusing general thought with conscious deliberation.

Quote:

Oh this is just the movement of electrical messages along nerve pathways.

That is how the brain tends to work. Unless you've done some incredible experiment that provides empericial evidence that refutes years and years of brain research.  Emphasis on emperical.

Quote:

When you bang your leg against a metal object, you say:Oh this is just chemical messangers passing through my blood and through my brains.Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......Do you go: Arrrrrrgh sh**t. I hit my nailOrArrrrrrgh damnnnnnn, I banged my leg.

Again, I think you are confusing general thought with conscious deliberation.

Actually, it might be that you're confusing the entire nervous system with conscious deliberation. Yikes. 

Quote:

The difference is one is the objective scientific view you hold so dear. Which is fine when you are observing something.

But most of the time your experiencing stuff from the subjective but take the objective stance.

Actually, you are just making bad analogies.

Quote:

Next time you bang your finger with a hammer, just go, oh its only electrical messengers moving along nerve pathways.

It's true, whether or not I say it. How do you think you were able to communicate to your fingers to type all of this bullshit? You didn't have to say "Okay, index finger, now you push the Y, and now I want you, Mr. Ring Finger, to push the O."

You were able to do it because you have motor control, which is a different area of the brain than "Do I want Fruit Loops or Cheerios for breakfast today?" which is a different area of the brain than "Ack! I broke my metatarsel!" which is a different area of the brain than "I'm hungry" which is a different area of your brain than what makes your heart beat, what makes your lungs breath without you having to constantly tell them to, what makes your eyes blink to keep your eyes moist and free of debris without you having to consantly assess your own eye-moisture-status.

Basically your entire proposition is based on ignorance and an unnecessary mistrut toward science. (I'd wager you only mistrust it because it doesn't agree with your presupposed conclusion).

Quote:

Go on kid yourselfLike the rest of humanity, you'll go "Oh S***t". It hurts.

Go on. Persist in your arguments that are still not working. 

Quote:

Why do you keep talking about ceasing the functionality of the brain. Who and when was that suggested?

You suggested it without realizing it the time you made silly generalizations because you didn't understand how brains work.

Quote:

All you have to do is focus on your thoughts, and stay with them till they wane, which they will given enough sustained effort.

This does not require you to resort to any outside devices.

All you need is bare attention to what is happening to you at this moment.

You can't do that without thinking about it, you know. At best, you could probably call this a deliberate and concentrated distraction.

Quote:

You will not be able to stay with your present thought, it will be pushed aside by another thought, frequently with no association to the current thought or activity.

No association that you're aware of anyway. We often can't understand dreams either, but those are just free-floating images and associations. 

Quote:

I could tell you why, but its better if you find out for yourself.

I agree. Because your answer would probably be hocus pocus silliness. 

Quote:

One thing I have noticed on this forum is how quickly you posit scientific evidence, measurements, book learning, etc. But few people trust their empirical experience. They don't trust it, well apart from their thoughts. And we all know that thoughts can lead you astray. And often do. 

To quote the great Daniel Dennett:

"Just because you possess consciousness doesn't make you an expert on consciousness."

You are preaching truthiness, sir.

HC Grindon
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote:

zennotes wrote:

HC Grindon wrote:

Tongue out

Forget about God or anything external. Forget about life afterdeath. Forget about the afterlife. Forget about any of that stuff. Just deal with the here and now. Just deal with your experience. Or is that too much?

What is your experience?

I only ask the questions?

Why can you not answer?

Why the cop out about god or any other entities.

Read all my posts and give me your answers based on your own experience, not what you have read in books, seen in film or video, or been told by others.

Now thats a simple request. Go for it.

Or does fear rear its ugly head?

Only those who have experienced I AM GOD AS YOU shall fathom my kinship speculation within the here and now.

[edit]

Oh, forgot the gratuitous...ellipses... 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Reminds me more of

Reminds me more of Venkatrajan.

How does matter see matter ? Only now you are getting it dear .

That guy's a sex offender.

HC Grindon
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Reminds me

magilum wrote:

Reminds me more of Venkatrajan.

How does matter see matter ? Only now you are getting it dear .

That guy's a sex offender.

Maybe they're triplets... 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Zennotes sounds like a

Zennotes sounds like a brainwashed cult victim.

Phaugh.  Worthless talking to this guy.

I might as well spend my time arguing with Ray Comfort.

BTW I think I AM GOD AS YOU would be offended at the comparison, HC.  Sticking out tongue