hello...again.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
hello...again.

It seems as though my profile was deleted or is MIA. Why is that? Anyhow, perhaps I should restate my introduction:  Risking self-refutation, I am a postmodern theist, and I am critical towards neo-atheism. I am a philosophy student who is both a theistic apologetic but, yet, too, a critic of [G]od.  My favorite discussions and/or debates are those concerning the resurrection of Jesus, the rationality of theistic belief, metaethics and the problem of evil.

In the future,  I hope to be...nay, I know that my arguments and presence will be a thorn in the back of the so-called 'freethinker'.  Smiling

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, again. RRS has been having some problems with the server lately, so that is most likely why your account was deleted. 

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/11597

If god takes life he's an indian giver

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back. Coming back

Welcome back.

Coming back to the original discussion, I find you rely on many undefined and idiosyncratic terms ("postmodern theist," "neo-atheism," the bracketed proper nouns) to discuss -- though I don't intend to debate these things in your introductory thread; just FYI.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hello PJ,   Last time I

Hello PJ,

Last time I was here, the mods slapped a 'theist' label on me.  I'd like to be free of such blatant labeling; I feel like a Jew wearing the star of David in Nazi Europe.

Smiling

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Hello PJ,

Mykey wrote:

Hello PJ,

Last time I was here, the mods slapped a 'theist' label on me.  I'd like to be free of such blatant labeling; I feel like a Jew wearing the star of David in Nazi Europe.

Smiling

Now, now, be a good theist.  Work will set you free.  We're going to shave your head to handle a lice problem.

Here's a bar of soap.  Now just step into this large room where you and your fellow theists will take a little shower.  Then all of your belongings will be returned to you.  Promise.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Defining 'postmodern' is

Defining 'postmodern' is not something that I dare to try.  As for neo-atheism, the word 'neo' means 'new' and hence i am saying 'new atheism'. New atheism is the brand of (nonsense) atheism propagated by Dawkins and the like.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Defining

Mykey wrote:

Defining 'postmodern' is not something that I dare to try.  As for neo-atheism, the word 'neo' means 'new' and hence i am saying 'new atheism'. New atheism is the brand of (nonsense) atheism propagated by Dawkins and the like.

ooooooh, we are going to have so much fun with this one.

Those are fighting words, theist!

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Mykey wrote:

If you insist...

So, you either subscribe to something you don't understand or can't explain?

Atheism is a negative position primarily, so Dawkins, being an evolutionary biologist, is in a position to take on positive theistic claims about special creation, etc. You can address the logic and substance of any positive claim, and if all claims for deities fail, the rational position is at least tentative atheism. People have been shooting holes in theistic arguments for centuries, though often in competing religions or as a rhetorical challenge to one's own faith, but few had the privilege to voice actual apostasy against their own religion, so we have no way to assess a true history of disbelief. What is it you think is new about "new" atheism?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Defining 'postmodern' is not something that I dare to try.

Undoubtably, given that it is a patently ridiculous philosophical school that has contributed no substance, rhyme nor reason with any propositional coherency whatsoever, unlike the strong arm of analytical philosophy

Quote:

As for neo-atheism, the word 'neo' means 'new

I think we were all fully aware of that and the comment merely pertained to the vapid and useless nature of the term

Quote:

New atheism is the brand of (nonsense) atheism propagated by Dawkins and the like.

You are trying to make a distinction without providing sufficient reason as to why the atheism of Dawkins or anyone else is categorically different from any other atheist. Unless your gripe is wholly political, I suggest you don't go down this road, lest you entertain a special pleading fallacy.

PS the tag is SOP (standard operating procedure) on the forums due to the propensity for foul play if the tag is removed (ie some people will be theists pretending to be atheists etc.). You explicitly stated you were a theist and hence recieved the tag. Although, you did state you were a "postmodernist theist" and whilst this makes absolutely no sense beyond the syntax, it nonetheless gave the moderators sufficient reason to tag you. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Hello PJ,

Mykey wrote:

Hello PJ,

Last time I was here, the mods slapped a 'theist' label on me. I'd like to be free of such blatant labeling; I feel like a Jew wearing the star of David in Nazi Europe.

Smiling

I'm sorry you feel that way.  If you really feel as if you don't deserve the tag, feel free to PM a mod explaining why.  

Sorry!  Smiling

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mykey wrote:

Defining 'postmodern' is not something that I dare to try. As for neo-atheism, the word 'neo' means 'new' and hence i am saying 'new atheism'. New atheism is the brand of (nonsense) atheism propagated by Dawkins and the like.

If you're going to use a phrase such as 'postmodern' it would behoove you to be able to define such a word.  

While I don't even agree with a term such as 'neo-atheism' if you're going to use it then please explain why you feel it's 'nonsense'. 

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  So, you either subscribe

So, you either subscribe to something you don't understand or can't explain?

The latter.  It's not uncommon for philosophers to sway from the burden of defining postmodernism because it is complex, arcane and debated.

Atheism is a negative position primarily,

Ahh, yes, the old ~B:G vs B:~G  difference.  I certainly agree there is a difference but whether it is atheism rather than just non-theism is debatable.

so Dawkins, being an evolutionary biologist, is in a position to take on positive theistic claims about special creation, etc.

This is not clear.

You can address the logic and substance of any positive claim, and if all claims for deities fail, the rational position is at least tentative atheism.

address the 'substance'? 

People have been shooting holes in theistic arguments for centuries,

likewise for atheology. 

What is it you think is new about "new" atheism?

Is the term 'new atheism' new to you? What I think of new atheism is this: it is an arrogant outlook that does not appreciate the arguments in its disfavor.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Is the term

Mykey wrote:

Is the term 'new atheism' new to you? What I think of new atheism is this: it is an arrogant outlook that does not appreciate the arguments in its disfavor.

This so-called new atheism is "arrogant"?

How ironic.

Please take a stand and tell me why I should believe in a god.  What is the reason?

Atheism states that there is no legitimate reason to believe in a god, much less base your opinion on earthly matters on what someone may "think" the god agrees or disagrees with.

Atheism is arrogant in this manner?

What would you call someone who not only professes to say they "know" a god exists, but that they have knowledge of how such a being wants us to conduct our day to day actions, but ON TOP OF THAT, such a being gives a fucking shit about you as an individual, will intercede on your behalf, and will take care of you for such minor things as how your daily events will transpire?

Arrogance?

Theism has cornered the market on that little item.

I love how theists like to blame atheists of the shortcomings of theists like it's some deadly point in favor of theism.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Undoubtably, given that

Undoubtably, given that it is a patently ridiculous philosophical school that has contributed no substance, rhyme nor reason with any propositional coherency whatsoever, unlike the strong arm of analytical philosophy

un·doubted·ly.  And, opinions vary.

I think we were all fully aware of that and the comment merely pertained to the vapid and useless nature of the term

Oh.  My apologies are offered to you and the other people in this forum. 

You are trying to make a distinction without providing sufficient reason as to why the atheism of Dawkins or anyone else is categorically different from any other atheist.

It is not all that different in terms of the belief logic involved with atheism, but in terms of demeanor of the atheist and their perception of theism. 

I hope this is clear enough for you.

Although, you did state you were a "postmodernist theist" and whilst this makes absolutely no sense beyond the syntax, it nonetheless gave the moderators sufficient reason to tag you. 

Perhaps, but that does not address my request not to be tagged.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I'm not quoting from your

I'm not quoting from your reply because you've managed to say absolutely nothing. Get back to me when you can formulate an idea.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
<-------  There's an

<-------  There's an agnostic Diest badge, that may be more apporiate.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

<-------  There's an agnostic Diest badge, that may be more apporiate.

We need a 'gibbering postmodernist' badge. Smiling 

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  It is not all

Quote:

It is not all that different in terms of the belief logic involved with atheism, but in terms of demeanor of the atheist and their perception of theism.

Ah, I see. Your complaint pertains to their overt hostility towards theism in general? So, presumably, when you mean Dawkins and his ilk you refer also to Harris?

To some extent, I agree. The principal reason I disliked the God Delusion was because so much time was wasted talking about irrelevant topics. An entire section seemed to pertain to Dawkin's irritance over not recieving the Templeton Prize (a dubious honor I would not wish to recieve). The whole book should have been devoted to the existence of God, not two chapters. The bulk of it, whilst some was interesting, seemed wholly irrelevant. The result was that each topic, which deserved and has been written into whole books in their own merit (such as the evolutionary advantage of religion) was overly simplified and overly summarized, to the extent that there was not a great deal of content in each. 

To some degree, I sympathize with Dawkins being that we live in a time where marked religious fundamentalism is on the rise. However, Harris, a trained philosopher, spells out the case much more clearly, and in my opinion, much better, than Dawkins did.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Please take a stand and

Please take a stand and tell me why I should believe in a god.  What is the reason?

I don't see this as relevant, sir.  I am not trying to defend the merits of theism in this particular thread.

Atheism states that there is no legitimate reason to believe in a god, much less base your opinion on earthly matters on what someone may "think" the god agrees or disagrees with.

Bravo. There is no disagreement here.

I could of sworn that I was speaking of new atheism. Yes, yes, I was; and, hence I'm a little confused on why or even how you could drop the qualifer.

Arrogance?

Maybe.  It certainly is not my position.

I love how theists like to blame atheists of the shortcomings of theists like it's some deadly point in favor of theism

Unless this thread involves sharing information about the things we love, what is the relevance of your abovementioned sentence?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:   This is

Quote:

This is not clear.

That is not a charge that any postmodernist can ever lay on anyone else. The Pot is indeed a handsome shade of black.

His point was perfectly clear. Certain religions make direct empirical claims pertaining to certain empirical phenomenon, that can be investigated, hence falsified or confirmed, by a proper scientific methodology. And they do make such specific claims, particularly about natural history (ie Biblical creation), that have been explicity falsified by this, and so their authority can be repudiated. As an evolutionary biologist, Dawkins is aware of much of the Origin claims made by certain religions, and knows how to demonstrate them false.  

-Me

Books about atheism

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I'm not

magilum wrote:
I'm not quoting from your reply because you've managed to say absolutely nothing. Get back to me when you can formulate an idea.

Oh, okay.  I'll keep you in mind.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Hello,   I did not

Hello,

I did not intend to 'charge' anything, this is a bit too much of an aggressive word for my intent.  Rather, I wished to note that his writings were unclear and hence leave him to assume why I did not respond to it. 

Thanks for clarifying his post.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Please

Mykey wrote:

I don't see this as relevant, sir.  I am not trying to defend the merits of theism in this particular thread.

I could of sworn that I was speaking of new atheism. Yes, yes, I was; and, hence I'm a little confused on why or even how you could drop the qualifer.

Arrogance?

I love how theists like to blame atheists of the shortcomings of theists like it's some deadly point in favor of theism

Unless this thread involves sharing information about the things we love, what is the relevance of your abovementioned sentence?

Then why are you saying it is arrogant to be a non-theist?  Clarify what the heck you are saying.  Ok, you insist I say new atheist instead of just plain atheist?  Explain the difference so I can understand what the hell you are saying.

Or stay vague and dance around the topic.

Just say, "I don't see this as relevant".  Great way to engage the debate, never put your foot down on what you think.

You should be a politician.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I did not say it was

I did not say it was arrogant to be a non-theist, Watcher. But, you're welcome to quote me on such matters.

Perhaps this is a good time to tell you, Watcher, that I am not looking to engage in any debate with you at the moment.  I already have an upcoming formal debate in a few weeks in regards to a relevant issue. Perhaps, when I am done with my formal debate, you and I or, too, Mr. Analytical Philosophy   can butt heads in a formal debate.

I believe that I already defined new atheism, Watcher. I might also add, that you will notice that my own commentary is difficult to assess for my stands on certain issues.  I take much from Foucault and try to flee from identity.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote:   Please

Mykey wrote:

Arrogance?

Use the quote function

How To Use The Quote Function | Rational Responders

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: I did not say

Mykey wrote:

I did not say it was arrogant to be a non-theist, Watcher. But, you're welcome to quote me on such matters.

Perhaps this is a good time to tell you, Watcher, that I am not looking to engage in any debate with you at the moment.  I already have an upcoming formal debate in a few weeks in regards to a relevant issue. Perhaps, when I am done with my formal debate, you and I or, too, Mr. Analytical Philosophy   can butt heads in a formal debate.

I believe that I already defined new atheism, Watcher. I might also add, that you will notice that my own commentary is difficult to assess for my stands on certain issues.  I take much from Foucault and try to flee from identity.

Dance away.  What a fucktard.

"I believe", "I never said that", etc., etc.

Perhaps this is a good time to tell you, MyKey, that it is obvious you like making statements and not backing them up.  Actually you run from backing them up, or try to confuse what you originally meant with your statements.

Is this how you continue to hold onto beliefs in your head?  By avoiding specific points?

Good luck on your "formal debate".

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Mykey

Watcher wrote:
Mykey wrote:

"I believe", "I never said that", etc., etc.

Perhaps this is a good time to tell you, MyKey, that it is obvious you like making statements and not backing them up.  Actually you run from backing them up, or try to confuse what you originally meant with your statements.

Is this how you continue to hold onto beliefs in your head?  By avoiding specific points?

He'll be arguing the latent proto-feministic implications of the Wendy's logo and their application to interpreting Mesoamerican technology.

Amirite? 

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Dance away. 

Quote:

Is this the compassionate RRSer civilty that I hear so  much about? 

Quote:
Perhaps this is a good time to tell you, MyKey, that it is obvious you like making statements and not backing them up. 

Kind of like this one?  I made no statements in this thread that I need to 'back up'. 

Quote:
Actually you run from backing them up, or try to confuse what you originally meant with your statements.

I disagree, Watcher. You seem to just have a hard time interpreting my posts and somehow I am culpable for the avalanche of your inadequacies. 

Quote:

Maybe.

Quote:

if the quotations were a sign of doubt, i'd be more than willing to show you the formal debate.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: Quote: Dance

Mykey wrote:

Quote:

Is this the compassionate RRSer civilty that I hear so  much about? [...]

And what are your posts if not the fulfillment of the vacuous obscurantism that would define your philosophy, if it had any definition at all.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I take much from

Quote:

I take much from Foucault and try to flee from identity.

LOL. I was wondering which of the Francophony twits that you adhered to. Come to think of it now, have the French ever produced a philosopher since

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Descartes ideas are worth consideration, I reject more or less all of them. Nonetheless at least he put forth genuine, propositionally coherent ideas. None of the postmodernist vapid nonsense-spewers, by definition, have the capacity to express propositionally coherent ideas. If they did, they wouldn't be called postmodernists.

Foucault had some capacity to express at least more than correct syntax, unlike Irigaray, Derrida, Lyotard or Guattari. That does not excuse the vapidity of Continental philosophy in general.

A Formal debate? Due respect, how? Formal debates entail by definition that propositions be coherently defined such that they may be acted upon as resolutions. No man has ever had a propositionally coherent way to express any of the vacuous writings of postmodernists. I've had formal debates about real philosophical issues, such as Token-Type Identity and Anomolous Monism, or Bundle-theory Ontology versus Bare-order substance, or Wittgenstein's logical atomism. These formal debates entail real, and propositionally coherent, hence sane ideas. I cannot say the same for the syntactically correct nonsense that congregates under the label of Continental philosophy.

And your deliberately vague and vacuous answers and refusal to speak in a propositionally coherent fashion merely affirm what I am saying about the vacuous emptiness of postmodernism and its thorough lack of contributing real ideas to philosophical discourse. That being the case, what proposition can you bring that can possibly be acted upon in the manner of formal debate? 

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: In the future,  I

Quote:

In the future,  I hope to be...nay, I know that my arguments and presence will be a thorn in the back of the so-called 'freethinker'

Your arguments? Surely an argument entails a set of coherent propositions to be acted upon in an If-Then-Therefore sequence. Will they pertain, I wonder, to the Transgressive Nature of Quantum Hermeneutics, or perhaps the post-classical feminist nature of the Navier-Stokes equation? Or perhaps how mathematical Chaos Theory proves that reality does not exist?

If you have better titles of propositionally meaningless juxtapositions, please inform me. I, merely satarizing postmodernism, could not possibly come up with as perfect gibberish as a bona fide one. 

There is a reason that Quine openly protested against Derrida's reception of his honorary degree, you know.

Guess what is was?

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    Mykey,

Mykey,

understanding each other (and so ourselves) is essential progress. What do you mean by God ?

A God definition please .... seriously friend .... I'm slow .... but I care .... hey my god is rocking cool, tell me about yours .... btw I'm an "old school" atheist ...  

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

I take much from Foucault and try to flee from identity.

LOL. I was wondering which of the Francophony twits that you adhered to. Come to think of it now, have the French ever produced a philosopher since

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Descartes ideas are worth consideration, I reject more or less all of them. Nonetheless at least he put forth genuine, propositionally coherent ideas. None of the postmodernist vapid nonsense-spewers, by definition, have the capacity to express propositionally coherent ideas. If they did, they wouldn't be called postmodernists.

Foucault had some capacity to express at least more than correct syntax, unlike Irigaray, Derrida, Lyotard or Guattari. That does not excuse the vapidity of Continental philosophy in general.

A Formal debate? Due respect, how? Formal debates entail by definition that propositions be coherently defined such that they may be acted upon as resolutions. No man has ever had a propositionally coherent way to express any of the vacuous writings of postmodernists. I've had formal debates about real philosophical issues, such as Token-Type Identity and Anomolous Monism, or Bundle-theory Ontology versus Bare-order substance, or Wittgenstein's logical atomism. These formal debates entail real, and propositionally coherent, hence sane ideas. I cannot say the same for the syntactically correct nonsense that congregates under the label of Continental philosophy.

And your deliberately vague and vacuous answers and refusal to speak in a propositionally coherent fashion merely affirm what I am saying about the vacuous emptiness of postmodernism and its thorough lack of contributing real ideas to philosophical discourse. That being the case, what proposition can you bring that can possibly be acted upon in the manner of formal debate? 

I never heard such contempt for the father of modern philosophy.

Your preference for Mr. Fancy Pants words may impress non-philosophers, but for those of us who are educated in the game, it is highly suspect that you're trying to either intimidate your referent or mask the intellectual vacuity of your posts. 

So, here's me validating you:  I notice your grasp on certain philosophical locutions. I may not be impressed, but I do notice.  Bravo.  Smiling

As for the debate, usually I stick with the rationality of theistic belief. The resolution would look something like: Theistic belief can be (is?) rational.

I promise that I'd spank you in front of all your buddies here at RRS.  But, my real interest would be tackling either Kelly, Sapient or Rook in the debate. Heck, they can even work together against me.

Make yourself useful by doing me  a favor and let them know, eh?

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Your

Quote:
Your arguments? Surely an argument entails a set of coherent propositions to be acted upon in an If-Then-Therefore sequence.

Arguments need not to be structured with material implications or indictive statements. But, I'm sure you already knew that. That's what impresses me about you, your attention to detail. Wink

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

I never heard such contempt for the father of modern philosophy.

I have never heard such a ridiculous label. Foucault? The father of modern philosophy? Don't be ridiculous. The fathers of modern philosophy were Locke, Kant and Hume, the logicians after them, and the analytical giants after them: Wittgenstein, Nozick, Searle, Quine and their ilk. The idea that the post-structuralist movement deserves anything more than relegation to the trash bin of philosophy of slightly amusing, but ultimately ridiculous. This is not contempt for the man (Foucault) per se. None of the post-structuralists deserve any merit, being that none of them managed to produce a set of useful, coherent ideas that add to analytical or empirical knowledge, the way that Analytical philosophy does. It is merely my observation that they seem wholly to relish in syntactically correct nonsensical obscurantism and unlike a proper philosophical methodology, they lack the capacity to structure a coherent set of propositions into a defined argument that can be clearly acted upon. And here we are referring to one of the least obscurantist, least confusing of a slew of them since the first book of very syntactically correct but completely meaningless tome (Phenomenology of Spirit) was published by Hegel. 

Quote:

Your preference for Mr. Fancy Pants words may impress non-philosophers, but for those of us who are educated in the game, it is highly suspect that you're trying to either intimidate your referent or mask the intellectual vacuity of your posts.

The projection occuring in this post is utterly stunning. You accusing anyone else of vacuous posting is highly suspect given that you openly admit that you cannot even express your propositions coherently.

Quote:

The resolution would look something like: Theistic belief can be (is?) rational.

Given that you haven't even defined the label of "postmodernist theist" in a proper fashion yet, I strongly doubt that you could express this very ambiguous resolution into a defined argument, being that you haven't even defined what you mean by "theism", seeing as from what I can discern, you reject classical theism.

Quote:

I promise that I'd spank you in front of all your buddies here at RRS.

The mantra I employ on virtually a daily basis is: Do you know that or are you guessing? Your assumption merely vindacates my observation that you are projecting arrogance. Out of slight amusement I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you still have some worthwhile point to make that your prior posts have indicated you are incapable of doing.

-Me

Books about atheism

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The father of

Quote:
The father of modern philosophy? Don't be ridiculous. The fathers of modern philosophy were Locke, Kant and Hume, the logicians after them, and the analytical giants after them: Wittgenstein, Nozick, Searle, Quine and their ilk.

Do a Google search on the 'father of modern philosophy' and see what you find, eh?

Quote:
 The idea that the post-structuralist movement deserves anything more than relegation to the trash bin of philosophy of slightly amusing, but ultimately ridiculous. This is not contempt for the man (Foucault) per se.

A note: Foucault never identified himself as a post-structuralist. 

Quote:
None of the post-structuralists deserve any merit, being that none of them managed to produce a set of useful, coherent ideas that add to analytical or empirical knowledge, the way that Analytical philosophy does.

Oh, okay.  Well, thanks for setting the record straight.

Quote:
The projection occuring in this post is utterly stunning. You accusing anyone else of vacuous posting is highly suspect given that you openly admit that you cannot even express your propositions coherently.

"[C]annot" is a modal operator referring to impossibilty. Do me a favor: quote me on this alleged claim of mine, hm?

Quote:
Given that you haven't even defined the label of "postmodernist theist" in a proper fashion yet,

It is not necessary that I do. My own beliefs or positions need not to be interactive in a debate regarding the resolution. There is what I believe and what I argue--a difference, no?

Quote:
The mantra I employ on virtually a daily basis is: Do you know that or are you guessing? Your assumption merely vindacates my observation that you are projecting arrogance.

Confidence. And, I don't know it or guess it, but I believe it.

Quote:
 Out of slight amusement I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you still have some worthwhile point to make that your prior posts have indicated you are incapable of doing.

Youre very gracious. 

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Do a Google search on the 'father of modern philosophy' and see what you find, eh?

Yes...I found what I already knew. Rene Descartes.

Ah. I think we had a misunderstanding here. I have no contempt for Descartes. I said I reject his ideas (rationalism, dualism etc), but I merely used him as an example of someone who, despite that I reject his ideas, I can still act upon and understand them . My irritance was that I thought that you said that Foucault was the founder of modern philosophy. Ie, part of my previous post stoppe-midstentence:

LOL. I was wondering which of the Francophony twits that you adhered to. Come to think of it now, have the French ever produced a philosopher with worthy ideas since Descartes.

-Me

Books about atheism

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
    Quote: Yes...I found

Quote:
Yes...I found what I already knew. Rene Descartes.

Of course you did.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote:   Although,

Mykey wrote:

Although, you did state you were a "postmodernist theist" and whilst this makes absolutely no sense beyond the syntax, it nonetheless gave the moderators sufficient reason to tag you.

I addressed your request not to be tagged and you completely ignored it.   

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Mykey

pariahjane wrote:
Mykey wrote:

Good day,

Your advice seemed like a bit of a redundancy.  I publicly stated to the mods here, including you, that I did not want the label. What difference would a private request have on such matters?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote:I addressed

Mykey wrote:

Good day,

Your advice seemed like a bit of a redundancy.  I publicly stated to the mods here, including you, that I did not want the label. What difference would a private request have on such matters?

Would you prefer a "postmodern theist" tag?

What is the difference again?

Oh wait, you don't answer questions, you just slide away from really saying anything.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: pariahjane

Mykey wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
Mykey wrote:

Good day,

Your advice seemed like a bit of a redundancy. I publicly stated to the mods here, including you, that I did not want the label. What difference would a private request have on such matters?

That's way things are done around here.  Give us a good reason to remove it.   'Just because I don't want it' isn't a good reason.  

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I love this, a guy

I love this, a guy comes in say's his is a POSTMODERN THEIST, whatever the hell that means, a label, but then gets pissy because he has the theists label, WHAT?!?!? make up your mind, don't come in stating a label of theisism, and then get pissy because you get labeled a theists.....something you blantantly stated already.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Mykey

Watcher wrote:
Mykey wrote:

Good day,

Would you prefer a "postmodern theist" tag?

What is the difference again?

Oh wait, you don't answer questions, you just slide away from really saying anything.

I'd like to have no tag. I prefer this because I dislike nomenclatures. This is because nomenclatures  solidify this thing called "i" with impregnated assumptions and meanings.  

Happy New Year, Watcher.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I have to ask, are

I have to ask, are you or are you not a theist? If not are your agnoistic? if not are you atheist? if not are you non believer or something else? because so far you haven't been clear, you don't want to have assumptions about you, but you already stated your a theists....postmodern, but still a theist.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:     I

latincanuck wrote:
    I love this, a guy comes in say's his is a POSTMODERN THEIST, whatever the hell that means, a label, but then gets pissy because he has the theists label, WHAT?!?!? make up your mind, don't come in stating a label of theisism, and then get pissy because you get labeled a theists.....something you blantantly stated already.

You may have noted that I did say that I was risking self-refutation by saying such things. the reason I said it was that I tend to occassionally abside by--albeit under protest--to the practice of nomenclatures because its intertwined within our language and culture.

I hope this helps.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    nope, sounds like a

nope, sounds like a bunch of nothing, because either you believe in a higher power or you don't, either you believe in god or you don't. You can throw in all the philosophy in the world, it still boils down to, either you do.....or your don't. The defaut set up of this forum from what i can tell is atheistic, hence if you are an atheist no label required as it is the premises of this website (in simplistic terms), so either you are an atheist/non believer, or your a theists, agonistic or other, still it means your not an atheist/non believer and as such who is someont suppose to know what side of the belief you are on?

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline

pariahjane wrote:
Mykey wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
Mykey wrote:

Good day,

Your advice seemed like a bit of a redundancy. I publicly stated to the mods here, including you, that I did not want the label. What difference would a private request have on such matters?

That's way things are done around here.  Give us a good reason to remove it.   'Just because I don't want it' isn't a good reason.  

I just offered a reason why that extends further than 'i don't want it'. But, still, perhaps you may not find my reason any good.  Similarly, I am not too fond of your subtle argumentum ad antiquitatem--ain't life a bitch.

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:    

latincanuck wrote:
    nope, sounds like a bunch of nothing, because either you believe in a higher power or you don't, either you believe in god or you don't.

Granted. However, the words 'god' and 'belief' are a bit convoluted and complicate epistemic-cum-metaphysic matters. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mykey wrote: That's way

Mykey wrote:

That's way things are done around here. Give us a good reason to remove it. 'Just because I don't want it' isn't a good reason.

I just offered a reason why that extends further than 'i don't want it'. But, still, perhaps you may not find my reason any good. Similarly, I am not too fond of your subtle argumentum ad antiquitatem--ain't life a bitch.

Your offered your reason after my post - how was I supposed to know what it was when I posted my response?

There are certain threads on this forum that are for non-believers only.  The tag is the easiest way to implement this and you seem to be on the believing side.  Also, the reason theists are tagged is because it is easier since there are less of you on the forum.  Think of it as a technicality.

You don't like the idea of being labeled and I understand that.  

Whether you're fond of it or not - life can be a bitch sometimes.  Get over it. 

Mykey
Theist
User is offlineOffline

pariahjane wrote:
Mykey wrote:

That's way things are done around here. Give us a good reason to remove it. 'Just because I don't want it' isn't a good reason.

I just offered a reason why that extends further than 'i don't want it'. But, still, perhaps you may not find my reason any good. Similarly, I am not too fond of your subtle argumentum ad antiquitatem--ain't life a bitch.

Your offered your reason after my post - how was I supposed to know what it was when I posted my response?

There are certain threads on this forum that are for non-believers only.  The tag is the easiest way to implement this and you seem to be on the believing side.  Also, the reason theists are tagged is because it is easier since there are less of you on the forum.  Think of it as a technicality.

You don't like the idea of being labeled and I understand that.  

Whether you're fond of it or not - life can be a bitch sometimes.  Get over it. 

"Less of you"--Hmm.

i tried to grant that my post came afterwards with the word 'just'.

Thanks for your great response. It's exactly what I thought it was going to be. But, hey, at least you're cute. Eye-wink