Iruka's Art Journal

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka's Art Journal

I've been keeping an "everything" notebook. In it are my traffic school notes (yeah, I got my first ticket...joy to the world), appointment dates, sketches and Sub-Zero's Kombos and Finishing Moves for Mortal Kombat 3...eclectic, if nothing else. Smiling

It's been a rather long time since I did any "real" art. Whatever that is. I just decided to draw. The pressure to please others or produce "real" art has been keeping me from doing any. So, lately I've just been drawing in the ratty notebook with a mechanical pencil, not knowing for sure what would happen. Sometimes I used some kind of model; sometimes I didn't. It just happened and I don't make any promises about more to come or finishing anything unfinished. So there.

So, here are links. You may have to zoom in on some or all of them.

1. Hawk-headed Microraptor: I drew this from memory. I borrowed some feather patterns from the hawk-headed parrot.

2. The Dragon Thief: I started out by drawing an eye. I didn't know what would happen. I just went with it. There are some perspective (and other) problems, but I even thought of a partial story while drawing.

3. Cheetah and Thompson's Gazelle: These are the two fastest land animals. Co-evolution has made them both very fast. The cheetah is faster, but the gazelle can turn more quickly. The cheetah ended up looking more like a leopard because I made the nose too skinny. The cheetah's nose is very broad for intaking large amounts of air. Later I drew another picture to study the nose and fur pattern beneath the spots.

4. Cheetah Head Study: This is unfinished. I drew it to better understand the head structure of a cheetah. The fur patterns helped me to get the nose and other head structures right. I was only interested in structure and may never "finish" this even to sketch level. And I don't care. Smiling

5."After Khazad-Dum" and "Mother T. Rex and Chicks": This is a two-fer. You may have to zoom in to see. I sat down with no model for these and ended up drawing my own conception of Frodo Baggins and a T. rex and young. The T. rex's snout is a little too short, making it look more like a Carnotaurus, but whatever. If I ever want to do it "right" I'll study bones and a model. Or not.

6. "Blue and Gold Deinonychus" and "Whirling Dervish": Another two-fer. Thinking about feathered theropods, I wondered what Deinonychus would look like decorated in the plumage of a blue and gold macaw. I have no idea where the whirling dervish came from. Honest. I didn't use any models for these.

7. "Stickle-backed Sand Dragon": As far as I know, there is no such thing as a stickle-backed sand dragon, but I can tell you its habitat, defensive measures and hunting methods. Smiling

Here's my favorite: "Velociraptor mongoliensis vs. Protoceratops andrewsi : A Famous Fossil in the Making":

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's wicked Iruka!! And by

That's wicked Iruka!! And by wicked I mean cool!! Wish I could draw like that! I only do little cartoons.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are really good

Those are really good drawings. I bealive that the best one is that cheetah face.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
That's wicked Iruka!! And by wicked I mean cool!! Wish I could draw like that! I only do little cartoons.

Thanks, Jacob. Smiling  Cartoons are cool, though.  I may end up drawing one sometime when I sit down and don't know what I'm going to draw. Smiling

:D 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:
Those are really good drawings. I bealive that the best one is that cheetah face.

I'm going to assume you mean the pseudo-finished sketch on the same page as the Thompson's gazelle.  I may do another to work on the cheetah's bone structure.  The breadth of the nose is more like a leopard. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn, that's impressive. 

Damn, that's impressive. 

I wish I could draw like that! 

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Good stuff.  I have always

Good stuff.  I have always been a terrible artist.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is great work Iruka. I

That is great work Iruka. I am not much of an artist, though I have been told that the way scare people is a true art form.

I sure wish I could draw instead....

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
LMAO!  I just realized

ROTFLMAO!  I just realized something.  The "hawk-headed Microraptor" has two right feet.

I wonder...does that make him a good dancer or a bad dancer?  Bad dancers have two left feet, right?  So wouldn't the opposite be true of a creature with two right feet? Smiling

When I go to draw some complex animals like dromaeosaurs, I pencil in a rough skeletal structure first.  My guess is that originally the leg that is up was meant to be on the other side of the body and I just forgot.  Now I have to re-do something.

Or not. 

Maybe this can be a test of conquering perfectionistic tendencies.  Must...not...correct...faulty...anatomy... 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: That is great

BGH wrote:

That is great work Iruka. I am not much of an artist, though I have been told that the way scare people is a true art form.

I sure wish I could draw instead....

Now, now. Smiling  Your humor is a true art form, so you are very artistic in at least two areas that I know of.  Perhaps jce could elaborate and tell us of a third? Sticking out tongue

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I wonder...does that make him a good dancer or a bad dancer? Bad dancers have two left feet, right? So wouldn't the opposite be true of a creature with two right feet? Smiling

I think it would make him a terrible dancer, unless of course his dancing partner had two left feet.

Hehe...now what would that look like?  Would they have to be conjoined twins or something? Smiling  Hehehe.

I should probably fix the poor guy's feet.  First he's extinct for about 85 million years (have to look that up...it was in the mid or lower Cretaceous I think), then some crazy woman with a mechanical pencil gives him two right feet.  I'd sue on behalf of dromaeosaurs everywhere.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote:

heyeverybody wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I wonder...does that make him a good dancer or a bad dancer? Bad dancers have two left feet, right? So wouldn't the opposite be true of a creature with two right feet? Smiling

I think it would make him a terrible dancer, unless of course his dancing partner had two left feet.

Hehe...now what would that look like? Would they have to be conjoined twins or something? Smiling Hehehe.

I should probably fix the poor guy's feet. First he's extinct for about 85 million years (have to look that up...it was in the mid or lower Cretaceous I think), then some crazy woman with a mechanical pencil gives him two right feet. I'd sue on behalf of dromaeosaurs everywhere.

Another thing to sue over if small, feathered dromaeosaurs could hire lawyers. They lived in the lower Cretaceous (early Cretaceous), so I was off by, oh, 40 million years or so.

D'OH! I should at least put a decent left foot on the fellow. Reading the description, his humerus is way too short. Maybe next time, poor fellow. Smiling

Well, he is different in that his crest is on his neck like a hawk-headed parrot or harpy eagle. Maybe he's a retarded, deformed species of microraptor. Eye-wink

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very nice work indeed.

Very nice work indeed. Smiling

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome artwork!  You

Awesome artwork!  You should come up with an idea for a story-line, maybe something along the lines of a dinosaur planet or middle earth fantasy.  You might draw (no pun intended) the interest of a comics publisher, or just sell your art.  But do what art you want and don't worry what others want.  First and foremost enjoy what you do.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome stuff.  I love the

Awesome stuff.  I love the fossil in the making one.  Its a truely awesome fossil and I like the feel of the picture, knowing how it ends up 65M years after, the idea of those last few moments before the pounce and stuggle between predator and prey is cut short by a geological event.

...man now I feel lazy for not having done any 3D work in a while.  Maybe I should crank up the ol' render box again. 

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, let me try posting

OK, let me try posting these again.  If you haven't noticed--and I'm sure you have--the server has been eating posts. I threw some money at it, hoping it will respond to the bribe.  Hmm...I've never tried that in my little shop in the back room.  (I tinker with computers.)  Maybe I should.  Sticking out tongue

Anyway, I encourage you to also throw a little money at the server here: http://tinyurl.com/3x6jr6 <-- FOR THE RRS SERVER 

I have two new entries in my Art Journal: "Forbidden Love" and "Microraptor zhaoianus vs. Xianglong zhaoi."  Try saying that last one five times fast. Laughing out loud

When I start these journal sketches, I usually have no idea what I'm going to draw, so some of it ends up off the page. Smiling  I didn't use models for these, although I did look at a life restoration of Xianglong zhaoi so I could get his head and dimensions right (or close to right).  The restoration was in a completely different position than the lizard I drew.

Microraptor zhaoianus and Xianglong zhaoi were found in the rich, lower Cretaceous fossil bed in Lionang Province, China.  Microraptor zhaoianus was a four-winged dinosaur in the dromaeosaur group (related to Velociraptor, Utahraptor, Deinonychus, etc.).  Xianglong zhaoi was a gliding lizard. 

Interestingly, this adaptation has evolved many times in small lizards and lizard-like reptiles throughout history.  The first known example was a lizard-like reptile in the late Permian (before dinosaurs): Coelurosauravus.

If you’re interested in convergent evolution, I highly recommend Sean Carrol’s Making of the Fittest, which tells the story of DNA.  It explains why convergent evolution is so common and even shows how the entire history of life on Earth can be read in DNA. 

"Forbidden Love"

"Microraptor zhaoianus vs. Xianglong zhaoi "

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, I'm obsessed

Apparently, I'm obsessed with feathered dinosaurs. *shrug*

Have another Microraptor.

If anyone knows where I could find the dimensions of bones, of feather/skin impressions, etc., let me know. It would help. I also want to study up on vegetation found in Lionang Province.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heeeeeeer kitty kitty! Is

Heeeeeeer kitty kitty!

Is this a fictional creature or a representation from an actual fossil? 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Heeeeeeer

wavefreak wrote:

Heeeeeeer kitty kitty!

Is this a fictional creature or a representation from an actual fossil?

Well, I suppose that depends on how close I came.  I don't want to copy someone else's attempt at restoration, so my Microraptors may not be quite right. I'd like bone dimensions, feather lengths, etc. to help.  I'd also like to know what kind of vegetation thrived during the time of Microraptor.

But to answer your question, yes, Microraptor zhaoianus is based on extremely well-preserved fossils--complete with feather impressions--from Lionang Province in China.  Microraptors were chicken-sized, four-winged dinosaurs from the early Cretaceous, in the same group (dromaeosauridae) as Velociraptor mongoliensis and Utahraptor. Velociraptor also had feathers. It's presumed all dromaeosaurs had them.  There's a good chance most theropod dinos were feathered.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool. I'll bet you could do

Cool. I'll bet you could do killer fantasy dragons and creatures. Mine always look weird. Like factory rejects or something.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
Cool. I'll bet you could do killer fantasy dragons and creatures. Mine always look weird. Like factory rejects or something.

This will require side-scrolling most likely, but here's an ink drawing I did several years ago. Dragonses, my precious. And yeah, I've made up a lot of weird-looking critters. I gained this talent by drawing in the notes of my social studies classes way back in high school.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I've started a new,

Well, I've started a new, ratty notebook. My art was starting to get too “serious” which scared me, so I decided to do something light-hearted.  It still shows an interest in paleontology.  I wish there was a good museum around here...

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow!  I lucked out and

Wow!  I lucked out and guessed what page this thread would be on (it was on page 9).  I need to search for a search function.  If this forum doesn't have one, it really, really needs one. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few more sketches with you.  These are just quickies I've done in my ratty "everything" notebook.  A couple of days ago, I broke down and bought a bunch of art supplies.  I'm almost afraid to draw anything on that pristine white "professional" paper.  Every time I show my simple sketches, someone mentions selling them and I get scared.  I've developed a complex, I think.  Oh well.  I'm just drawing to please myself at this point.  Whatever. Smiling

Here's a closeup of a Capuchin monkey:

_____

A mallard duckling:

_____

A blue-footed booby:

_____

And a quick restoration of Struthiomimus (ostrich mimic):

Waiting for Oblivion
User is offlineOffline
I like the disappointing

I like the disappointing truth about megalodon, it's hilarious.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks.   I sent that one

Thanks. Smiling  I sent that one around, but the only person who "got" it was my brother. Smiling Maybe I should send it in to a paleontology magazine or something. Smiling

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the first

This is the first colored-pencil piece I've worked on in close to twenty years.  It's not finished yet.  I pretty much pulled it out of my ass without thinking too much.  I needed to "just do it":

Parasaurolophus Feeding on an Unfinished Cycad:

-Snip-

I finished it.  See post below.

Waiting for Oblivion
User is offlineOffline
This one is really amazing,

This one is really amazing, great drawing with beautiful colors. Although I would have made it green, since, if I remember correctly, the are lived in forests.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:

This one is really amazing, great drawing with beautiful colors. Although I would have made it green, since, if I remember correctly, the are lived in forests.

Thanks.  I'm still working on the cycad he's getting ready to eat.  The last full color drawing I did was before the Internets™.  This time, I was able to find lots of cycads, ferns and Parasaurolophus bones and restorations online.  Much easier.

Now I'll give you my justification for the coloration. Eye-wink

1. Paleontologists believe hadrosaurs moved in herds.  An animal that large moving in herds would not necessarily need to blend in to its environment.  In fact, for the adults, blending in might be a rather futile evolutionary adaptation.  Zebras are a case in point.  Scientists are still quibbling over exactly what purpose the stripes serve.

2. Even a brightly-colored animal can disappear if the pattern breaks up the animal's outline.  Parrots are brightly colored and it's still difficult to see them when they hold still.  A lot of parrots are green, but most have really bright reds, yellows, blues, etc.  Some of the bigger parrots are solid red or solid white.  Even a gaudy creature like my Arizona Mt. kingsnake (red, black, and white) can hide if he holds still because the pattern breaks up the outline of his body.  One of his biggest enemies is the bird of prey, which can see in color.

3.  Dinosaurs probably saw in color because their closest relatives, birds and crocodilians, also see in color.  It stands to reason color would be important to them.  Birds are the closest relatives of dinosaurs and many of them are very brightly colored, even though they're on the menu of all kinds of predators.  In the springtime, many birds of temperate regions forgo their plain look and adopt gaudy spring colors.  This may put them more at risk, but there is an evolutionary benefit.  It's quite sexy being able to say, "Hey, look at me.  I'm so fit, I can afford to wear this gaudy outfit."  The most brightly colored bird wins. 

Male Parasaurolophus had a long horn.  Currently, scientists believe this was a resonance chamber for calling.  I think it was also ornate and colorful, as well...at least during breeding season.  The male that can "afford" the gaudiest outfit is the most likely to reproduce in many species of birds.  The same could have held true for dinos.

That's my "rationale" response. Eye-wink

Again: thanks for the feedback.  I think I'll continue my artwork comeback.  When I'm in the moment, it is very relaxing despite perceived outside pressures.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
BTW, the last reason I chose

BTW, the last reason I chose those colors was purely artistic.  If there's going to be greenery, something red or reddish-brown will show up better. Eye-wink

Anyone want to learn how to pronounce "Parasaurolophus"?  What's that you say?  You don't give the smelliest dingleberry on a dead baboon's red ass?  Say no more.  Smiling I shall teach you.

Keep in mind this phrase (which I heartily endorse): "Parrots for all of us."

Here's mine...although he has more in common with a Velociraptor than a hadrosaur:

Now say it again: "Parrots for all of us."  Organize a march.  Make signs.  Hell, you might get more accomplished than I have during the past five years or so of intermittent war protesting.

Now, just think "Pear-uh-saur" instead of "Parrots for."  You should have it: "Pear-uh-saur-AWL-uh-fuhs.

On that dorky note, I leave this brilliant post.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Utahraptor

Here's a restoration of Utahraptor I did a couple of days ago:

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parasaurolophus,

Parasaurolophus, Quetzalcoatlus and T. rex.  Can you spot the T. rex? Smiling