God and gaming

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
God and gaming


This is from the GameFAQs poll of the day.

 

 

Have your religious beliefs ever conflicted with your gaming?

 

Yes, I avoid games that deal with any religious themes Yes, I avoid games that seem to go against my religion Kind of, I've been disturbed by a few games Not really, I know it's only a game Not at all, in fact, I've never even noticed TOTAL VOTES
1.58%
16
2.28%
23
7.82%
79
29.6%
299
58.71%
593
    1010

 

 

That was copied about 5 minutes after the poll became active.

 

 

I can't believe some people will avoid a game with religious themes. 




 

 


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
    umm oh yeah the more

    umm oh yeah the more religious zelots view it as blasphemous against god, even if it's pretend.


Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
Posts: 333
Joined: 2007-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Are there any games where

Are there any games where the goal is to kill as many gods as you can.  There's more then 500 known gods (don't know if the trinity is counted as one or three) created by the superstitious over the millenia, that would be an awesome game.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:

Bulldog wrote:
Are there any games where the goal is to kill as many gods as you can. There's more then 500 known gods (don't know if the trinity is counted as one or three) created by the superstitious over the millenia, that would be an awesome game.
You kill gods in the "God of War" (Playstation 2) and "God of War 2" (Playstation 2).

[Edit: Added God of War 2 and system] 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe that with

I can't believe that with the colorful imagery that is in the myth called the Bible Christian game designers make such crappy games.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: I can't

jcgadfly wrote:
I can't believe that with the colorful imagery that is in the myth called the Bible Christian game designers make such crappy games.
  "Good" game designing requires thinking and creatings compelling semi-coherent stories...

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: This

Cpt_pineapple wrote:


This is from the GameFAQs poll of the day.

 

 

Have your religious beliefs ever conflicted with your gaming?

 

Yes, I avoid games that deal with any religious themesYes, I avoid games that seem to go against my religionKind of, I've been disturbed by a few gamesNot really, I know it's only a gameNot at all, in fact, I've never even noticedTOTAL VOTES
1.58%16
2.28%23
7.82%79
29.6%299
58.71%593
  1010

 

 

That was copied about 5 minutes after the poll became active.

 

 

I can't believe some people will avoid a game with religious themes.




 

 

I'm surprised you're surprised.  People boycotted the Harry Potter books for promoting witchcraft.  And there was that whole hullabaloo about The Da Vinci code.  It doesn't matter if it's fiction or not; they still manage to get offended. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
As an avid gamer, I refuse

As an avid gamer, I refuse to play "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". Mostly because I don't want to financially support anyone involved in the Left Behind IP.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
I, at first, thought the

I, at first, thought the notion of God and Gods were simply a gaming invention, or something that was used in popular myth. I had no idea people took it seriously.

Anyone that avidly avoids games with God/s in it is a very sad person. In fact, it's very hard to find a game that isn't a WW2 game that doesn't have any mention of any gods at all.

MMO's, RTS, FPS, Action, RPG, Action RPG, etc. The majority of these games has mentions of a god or gods.


CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
Posts: 72
Joined: 2007-02-02
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: As an

stillmatic wrote:

As an avid gamer, I refuse to play "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". Mostly because I don't want to financially support anyone involved in the Left Behind IP.

 

Yeah me too...also I avoided it because I heard a lot of bad reviews for it. 

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Final results:   Have your

Final results:

 

Have your religious beliefs ever conflicted with your gaming?

Yes, I avoid games that deal with any religious themes Yes, I avoid games that seem to go against my religion Kind of, I've been disturbed by a few games Not really, I know it's only a game Not at all, in fact, I've never even noticed TOTAL VOTES
1.02%   1026
2.23%   2249
7.54%   7619
29.75%   30073
59.47%   60106
    101073

 


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I have quit playing games

I have quit playing games because of religious conviction.  Mostly games like Grand Theft Auto.

 

I'd challenge any of you who believe there is no such thing as a good Christian video game download the .nes rom called "Spiritual Warfare."  It plays like the original Zelda.  Very fun game, I still like to play it to this day. 


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
 Personally the only thing

 Personally the only thing that stops me playing a game is because it SUCKS, but I have never stopped playing a game because of religious reasons....however I have never played certain games because of religious reasons, as one already mentioned that left behind game, i will never touch.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: As an

stillmatic wrote:

As an avid gamer, I refuse to play "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". Mostly because I don't want to financially support anyone involved in the Left Behind IP.

 

Never heard of it.

 What is it?


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: I have

heyeverybody wrote:

I have quit playing games because of religious conviction. Mostly games like Grand Theft Auto.

 

I'd challenge any of you who believe there is no such thing as a good Christian video game download the .nes rom called "Spiritual Warfare." It plays like the original Zelda. Very fun game, I still like to play it to this day.

  Hey unlicensed game cartridge sweet.  Guess that means it will never be on virtual console. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Where's that video of the

Where's that video of the guy reviewing those lame Bible games that stole the Super Mario Bros. 2 engine and the Zelda engine?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: I have

heyeverybody wrote:

I have quit playing games because of religious conviction. Mostly games like Grand Theft Auto.


I feel sorry for you.  When I was a Christian, I thought god wanted me to give up all music that wasn't Christian. The secular music I had was all very tame.  I even got rid of Christopher Cross.

I was always so afraid of doing something to piss off Yahweh.  What a miserable way to live. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Where's that video of the guy reviewing those lame Bible games that stole the Super Mario Bros. 2 engine and the Zelda engine?

This?

 


Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-27
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: In fact,

CrimsonEdge wrote:
In fact, it's very hard to find a game that isn't a WW2 game that doesn't have any mention of any gods at all.

  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Gran Turismo
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Minesweeper

Just to name a few.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Where's that video of the guy reviewing those lame Bible games that stole the Super Mario Bros. 2 engine and the Zelda engine?

This?

Yeah, that one! Smiling I about died laughing the first time I saw it. It even mentions "Spiritual Warfare," heyeverybody's game.

So, heyeverybody. I'm wondering something. As far as video games go, do you think violence for God is okay, but random violence (AKA Grand Theft Auto) isn't? Say there was a Wisdom Tree rip-off of Grand Theft Auto and the only thing that changed was the reason for the violence. Would you be okay with that?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Anyone else find it ironic

Anyone else find it ironic that the Christian game company Wisdom Tree stole the code to make their games and then released them without permission, even going so far as to create a special cartridge built to bypass anti-piracy measures on the SNES.

 

"Thou shall not steal... unless it helps spread the word of God to the godless gaming community, then it's cool" 

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5484
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: I have

heyeverybody wrote:

I have quit playing games because of religious conviction.  Mostly games like Grand Theft Auto.

 

I'd challenge any of you who believe there is no such thing as a good Christian video game download the .nes rom called "Spiritual Warfare."  It plays like the original Zelda.  Very fun game, I still like to play it to this day. 

 

Well, I guess the secret is out. Time to let you guys know what I do for a living. Heyeverybody is right, you play heathen games like GTA and you become corrupted. I played it all the time as a kid. Now I lead a life of bashing people over the head taking their cars and seeing how many cops I can get to chase me until I have to spray paint my car and the cops magically cannot recognize me.

Stay away from the heathen games or you shall lead a life of depravity.

Seriously, how insecure in yourself do you have to be that you don't play a video game because you think it is immoral? Or God might not like it? Do you also avoid movies that have immoral scenes that god wouldn't like? What a miserable life that would be.

heyeverybody, have you ever actually played any of the GTA games? Or did you just choose GTA because it gets all the press? Because of the games in my gaming collection, GTA is probably one of the least heathen.

Postal 2, now there is a great heathen game, you get to kill a bunch of religious fundys in graphic and humiliating ways. Very relaxing.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
Posts: 1484
Joined: 2007-03-18
User is offlineOffline
I like games where you play

I like games where you play as God. They're the best! Like AoE, RCT (especially RCT3), The Sims (2). It fulfills the latent megalomaniac in me, without me having to actually hurt anybody.

I also like Football (Soccer) games and almost everything on Wii.


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I like games where you play as God. They're the best! Like AoE, RCT (especially RCT3), The Sims (2). It fulfills the latent megalomaniac in me, without me having to actually hurt anybody.

I also like Football (Soccer) games and almost everything on Wii.

 

I prefered Black and White, where I could crush my followers with rocks, trees and cows or burn them to death for not accepting my eternal love. I felt very Christ like.

 

For anyone who plays B&W, build the children housing (Cretches) next to your alters for easing sacrifices... innocent blood gives more mana Laughing out loud

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2038
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
    Personally I play all

    Personally I play all types (i have been playing since pong, and I was only knee high to a grasshoppers then and my old man had to hold me up so i could play), right now I am playing CoD 4, finished assassin's creed recently, was playing forza 2 but I am waiting for GTA IV (yeah baby yeah) and a few other games in the new year, Kingdom of Fire and those types. As for games without the mention of god, there are tons of games.


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
get an emulator and download

get an emulator and download it, it is a really good game, regardless if they "stole" the zelda idea, did you not play halo because they stole the fps idea?


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: get an

heyeverybody wrote:
get an emulator and download it, it is a really good game, regardless if they "stole" the zelda idea, did you not play halo because they stole the fps idea?

No. no. You misunderstood me. Wisdom Tree actually STOLE the code. They took mario brother's cartridges and zelda cartridges, backwards engineered the programming and then simply changed the pixels into religions themes. Then, when they tried to release them on the NES and SNES, Nintendo refused the liscence the stolen product and they instead created special cartridges that plugged into the bottom of legit cartridges to buypass anti-pirating measures installed in the NES and SNES systems.

I'm not talking about stealing an idea or a general gameplay style, they literally stole property (the code) belonging to another company and used it illegally.

It would be like if someone took a popular song and then changed the lyrics to something Christian and tried to release it without permission of the original artists.

In conclusion, Wisdom Tree broke a commandment to bring you that game. Sleep tight.

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I'm not weak minded.  I

I'm not weak minded.  I just don't care to play a game that glorifies picking up hookers, and all the unneeded cussing.  Have any of you seen the mini-game in GTA where you have sex with your girlfriend?  The only game I've played like that is God of War.  I usually decide to quit playing GTA games after a few hours, but God of War is a game I didn't put down.  I play Halo and listen to secular music, so it has nothing to do with the fact that the games aren't "Christian."  So my experience is nothing like yours in the least. 


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
stillmatic wrote:

As an avid gamer, I refuse to play "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". Mostly because I don't want to financially support anyone involved in the Left Behind IP.

 

Never heard of it.

 What is it?

It follows the Left Behind IP. So all true Christians are raptured into heaven, some of those left behind realize what happened and join the forces of "good" and fight against the proxy forces of Satan (the United Nations).

It's a RTS style game and it got terrible reviews.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
I don't play GTA, because

I don't play GTA, because of the non-stop cussing, sexual themes, etc.  I have played it before, heck I grew up on 8-bit NES, so if you grew up on GTA don't bring that weak stuff to me.  I think its funny how you all think Christians are just fundies with weak minds.  Some of you sound like you were fundies with weak minds when you were in the church.  I don't play GTA games by choice.  I'd much rather play NCAA Football or Halo 3. 


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Good thing Christians are

Good thing Christians are no longer under the LAW!  (sarcasm intended)

stolen code or not, they did make an original game, and it was fun.  Spiritual Warfare actually had a lot more elements from other games than Zelda.  and where Bible Adventures was just fun because it was stupid, Spiritual Warfare was actually a challenging game to beat.   


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: Good

heyeverybody wrote:

Good thing Christians are no longer under the LAW!  (sarcasm intended)

stolen code or not, they did make an original game, and it was fun.  Spiritual Warfare actually had a lot more elements from other games than Zelda.  and where Bible Adventures was just fun because it was stupid, Spiritual Warfare was actually a challenging game to beat.   

 

The bottom line is that the game, within itself, is a sin, by biblical standards. The creators of the game will burn in hell for breaking a commandment and with you now knowing that the game is the product of the breaking of a commandment, you should probably go repent for playing it.

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote:

[Mod Edit: Double Post]


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Would have. I had no idea

Would have.

I had no idea about copyrights back in the day.  And I'm still not convinced about the stolen code, I believe you made that up.  Maybe they just didn't want to fork out the money to make an officially licensed game, beats me.

If it makes you feel better, I am thinking about the ethical side of it now.  But you obviously don't understand Christianity.  The law brought about judgement, but Christ brought peace.  So breaking a commandment will not send a Christian to hell. 


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Go look it up, it's kind of

Go look it up, it's kind of been an ongoing joke in the gaming community about the Christian game company that steals to make money.

Also, about the whole Jesus' death wiping out the rules of the OT:

“Thou Shall Not Ignore the Old Testament!”  

New Testament Verses Which Demand Following the Old Testament:

    I hear so many Christians now a days claim that the Old Testament is defunct for Jesus was the “lamb” to clear away its rules and regulations.  This is just another bullshit scapegoat that Christians use to ignore the atrocities and bizarre laws commanded by their god.  Their preachers spoon feed them that the Old Testament is no longer binding so that they can excuse the majority of evil that the bible promotes.  I am so tired of Christians manipulating the scriptures so that they can assign a kinder nature to their God, that I have assembled a BRIEF list of verses which clearly show that the Old Testament is not to be ignored.  Its laws should indeed be adhered to, for the New Testament demands it!  After this section I shall list where the Bible contradicts itself concerning other laws.

1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.  Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”  (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)  Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself.  None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever.  "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid."  (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets.  He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament.  "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets.  I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.  Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place."  (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."  (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law.  Mark.7:9-13  "Whoever curses father or mother shall die"  (Mark 7:10 NAB)

5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating.  He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.”  (Matthew 15:4-7)

6) Jesus has a punishment even worse than his father concerning adultery: God said the act of adultery was punishable by death. Jesus says looking with lust is the same thing and you should gouge your eye out, better a part, than the whole.  The punishment under Jesus is an eternity in Hell.  (Matthew 5:27)

7) Peter says that all slaves should “be subject to [their] masters with all fear,” to the bad and cruel as well as the “good and gentle.”  This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18

Cool “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

9) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

 

As found on www.evilbible.com

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

CrimsonEdge wrote:
In fact, it's very hard to find a game that isn't a WW2 game that doesn't have any mention of any gods at all.

  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Gran Turismo
  • GoldenEye 007
  • Minesweeper

Just to name a few.

The fact that you had to mention Minesweeper sums up my point nicely.

While we're at it...

  • Poker
  • Mahjong
  • Hearts
  • Spades
  • Ridge Racer
  • Motorstorm
  • Command and Conquer
  • Sports games (some of the time)
I'm looking through my games list at the moment and can't find many/any games that don't have a mention of a god or gods in them. 


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
adraedon, you should really

adraedon,

you should really do your own research.  did you know that one event in that list is used twice?  why dont you go read Romans, Galatians, or Hebrews?   

Romans 4: 13It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. 

  i didnt say Christians shouldnt keep the commandments, although i could debate you on the sabbath, but you said they are going to hell, and i told you Christians arent bound by the law.  

 


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:

adraedon,

you should really do your own research. did you know that one event in that list is used twice? why dont you go read Romans, Galatians, or Hebrews?

Romans 4: 13It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

i didnt say Christians shouldnt keep the commandments, although i could debate you on the sabbath, but you said they are going to hell, and i told you Christians arent bound by the law.

 

Maybe you should use that as a selling point for Christianity. "You can do whatever you please! Kill, rape, steal - you still get to make heaven your home! Nothing God or Jesus said matters anymore - Paul is all you need!

Me, I'll stick to being moral and better than the God of the Bible. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
Posts: 259
Joined: 2007-08-05
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: Good

heyeverybody wrote:

Good thing Christians are no longer under the LAW!  (sarcasm intended)

stolen code or not, they did make an original game, and it was fun.  Spiritual Warfare actually had a lot more elements from other games than Zelda.  and where Bible Adventures was just fun because it was stupid, Spiritual Warfare was actually a challenging game to beat.   

It can't be an original game if they stole the code.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Angry Video Game Nerd Bible

Angry Video Game Nerd Bible games review (For Christmas)

 

 


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: I

heyeverybody wrote:

I don't play GTA, because of the non-stop cussing, sexual themes, etc. I have played it before, heck I grew up on 8-bit NES, so if you grew up on GTA don't bring that weak stuff to me. I think its funny how you all think Christians are just fundies with weak minds. Some of you sound like you were fundies with weak minds when you were in the church. I don't play GTA games by choice. I'd much rather play NCAA Football or Halo 3.

What the fuck is wrong with cussing?  It doesn't fucking hurt anyone: fuckity, fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck. (Apologies to Cartman.)

See, no one got sick, hurt or died. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:

adraedon,

you should really do your own research. did you know that one event in that list is used twice? why dont you go read Romans, Galatians, or Hebrews?

Romans 4: 13It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

i didnt say Christians shouldnt keep the commandments, although i could debate you on the sabbath, but you said they are going to hell, and i told you Christians arent bound by the law.

 

 

Wait wait wait... I quoted JESUS and you quoted a guy who's job it was to kill Christians. Then, he falls off his horse and cracks his head on a rock and magically converted to Christianity.

 

I quoted your Messiah, you quoted a guy who's main reason for conversion was severe head trauma .

 

...yeah, that's what I thought. 

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:

I don't play GTA, because of the non-stop cussing, sexual themes, etc. I have played it before, heck I grew up on 8-bit NES, so if you grew up on GTA don't bring that weak stuff to me. I think its funny how you all think Christians are just fundies with weak minds. Some of you sound like you were fundies with weak minds when you were in the church. I don't play GTA games by choice. I'd much rather play NCAA Football or Halo 3.

What the fuck is wrong with cussing?  It doesn't fucking hurt anyone: fuckity, fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck. (Apologies to Cartman.)

See, no one got sick, hurt or died. Smiling 

 I'm so glad I have you to make decisions for me.  Life will be so much easier now.


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Adraedan

Adraedan wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:

adraedon,

you should really do your own research. did you know that one event in that list is used twice? why dont you go read Romans, Galatians, or Hebrews?

Romans 4: 13It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

i didnt say Christians shouldnt keep the commandments, although i could debate you on the sabbath, but you said they are going to hell, and i told you Christians arent bound by the law.

 

 

Wait wait wait... I quoted JESUS and you quoted a guy who's job it was to kill Christians. Then, he falls off his horse and cracks his head on a rock and magically converted to Christianity.

 

I quoted your Messiah, you quoted a guy who's main reason for conversion was severe head trauma .

 

...yeah, that's what I thought. 

I quoted a guy who claimed to know Jesus. 

You quoted a guy who took Jesus out of context.  At least you could read what you posted and realized you used the same story twice to make the same point, which was out of context.

 And we do not know who wrote Hebrews, but you should really read it if you want to claim to have an understanding of Christian theology.  Or you could just stick to your cut-and-paste Theology if you want.


Adraedan
Adraedan's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Dude, there's no mention of

Dude, there's no mention of Paul having even met Jesus before his crucifixion (and even those verses are sketchy), and he didn't convert until long after Jesus had been crucified (if you believe the Myth of course, it's just a retelling of an older story told a hundred times.) It even says in the bible that Paul fell off his horse and then converted. A good chunk of the the new testament was written by a guy probably suffering from chronic brain hemoraging.

 

Yes, some of the quotes I used overlap, but that's due to them being stories from different versions of the bible with slightly different wordings or verse locations, since Christians can rearrange the bible at will and still claim it's divine inspiration. As for understanding Christian theology, you're looking at the byproduct 14 years of Christian schooling. 

 

You see, there's this mythical lie called "Christian theology" and then there "What Christians actually are". The bible is basically a small handfull of generally decent philosophical ideas within this overwhelming pile of racist, homophobic, hateful shit.

 

Hitler had a few okay ideas about political policy, does that mean we should ignore the rest of the shit the Nazi's did? No.

 

Same with Christians... except Christians killed more people than the Nazi's and have caused more pain and suffering and generally have even less good parts... Jesus didn't invent the Volkswagon. 

Have no pity for those mired in the prophet delusion, content to be servile for a lifetime; tis better to be king for a day


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Adraedan wrote: It even

Adraedan wrote:
It even says in the bible that Paul fell off his horse and then converted. A good chunk of the the new testament was written by a guy probably suffering from chronic brain hemoraging.
 

Where did you get the horse and rock, Christian school?  And why did Saul's companions corroborate with him? 

Quote:
Yes, some of the quotes I used overlap, but that's due to them being stories from different versions of the bible with slightly different wordings or verse locations, since Christians can rearrange the bible at will and still claim it's divine inspiration.

So you can take it out of context?  I'm just going to go through your source's points.

1.  It doesn't say we should adopt the law.  It says we are to live to a higher standard than the Pharisees and teachers of the law.  So you're right that a Christian should not sin, but Jesus never makes the claim that Christians will go to hell for sinning.

2. It also says "The law and prophets were preached until John.  But now the good news of the Kingdom of God is being preached."  Once again, Christians should not sin, but they are not condemned by the law.  There are parts of the law that have passed such as animal sacrifices, which would be a mockery to Christ.  

3. see #1, Jesus came to fulfill the law.  I believe he did.

3b. That's right.  It is important to understand the sacrifices in the Old Testament, but they are only a type of Christ.  To continue to sacrifice animals would be like nailing Jesus back to the cross.

3c. Which is why you have to interpret scripture with scripture.  It's referencing false teachers.  Peter actually said to "listen to Paul."

4. Jesus isn't criticizing the Pharisees for not killing their disobedient children, he is criticizing them for being legalistic.  The Pharisees asked "Why don't your disciples wash their hands before they eat?"  Jesus responds, "You claim to love God, yet you disrespect your parents."

5. see #4, And Jesus is not criticizing them for not killing their children.  He is criticizing them because they were using a loophole in the law to keep from helping their elderly parents financially.

6. Jesus was revealing something that had been hidden from the prophets.  Progressive revelation had gone on throughout the history of the Jews.  You have to realize Jesus came on the scene in a time of spiritual immaturity.  The Pharisees were the standard and, as noted above, they were insolent in their observance of the law.

7. He is saying, "Christians who are slaves, do good just as Christ did not sin even in the face of persecution."  He is telling slaves that their good lives will be commended by God in heaven.  He is not condoning slavery.

This is why you need to do the homework yourself, because wherever you got this from is completely unfounded. 

 

Quote:
Hitler had a few okay ideas about political policy, does that mean we should ignore the rest of the shit the Nazi's did? No.

Stalin was an atheist. . .

 

Quote:
Same with Christians... except Christians killed more people than the Nazi's and have caused more pain and suffering and generally have even less good parts... Jesus didn't invent the Volkswagon.

The classical example is the crusades.  Study Catholic history.  1.) The Holy Roman empire was a political entity, completely immoral at many times.  (all the while there were Christians who called for reform)  2.) The Muslims attacked first.  It was a war.  3.) The "Christians" were less brutal than their enemies (still doesn't make it right).

 Oh yeh, I've owned a Volkswagen. . . Terrible cars.  Seriously, I would never recommend Volkswagen to any of you.  Buy a Honda. 


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: Iruka

heyeverybody wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:

I don't play GTA, because of the non-stop cussing, sexual themes, etc. I have played it before, heck I grew up on 8-bit NES, so if you grew up on GTA don't bring that weak stuff to me. I think its funny how you all think Christians are just fundies with weak minds. Some of you sound like you were fundies with weak minds when you were in the church. I don't play GTA games by choice. I'd much rather play NCAA Football or Halo 3.

What the fuck is wrong with cussing? It doesn't fucking hurt anyone: fuckity, fuckity, fuck, fuck, fuck. (Apologies to Cartman.)

See, no one got sick, hurt or died. Smiling

I'm so glad I have you to make decisions for me. Life will be so much easier now.

I could argue I hurt fewer people than you did by buying (I presume you bought it when it was a funny-shaped cartridge) an unauthorized Nintendo rip-off of The Legend of Zelda.

Why don't you just admit you like the game and you don't care it was stolen.  Then you wouldn't sound like a hypocrite.  Instead you have to start attacking everyone else for doing things you wouldn't do because you're so much better than us because you're a Christian. 

Can't you see why acting like that makes the rest of us want to fucking explode?  You won't play Grand Theft Auto because of the cussing, but a stolen video game is just fine because it glorifies God. 

Sigh.  I'm diabetic.  It's times like this I wish I could go grab a drink. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Adraedan wrote: Dude,

Adraedan wrote:

Dude, there's no mention of Paul having even met Jesus before his crucifixion (and even those verses are sketchy), and he didn't convert until long after Jesus had been crucified (if you believe the Myth of course, it's just a retelling of an older story told a hundred times.) It even says in the bible that Paul fell off his horse and then converted. A good chunk of the the new testament was written by a guy probably suffering from chronic brain hemoraging.

 

Yes, some of the quotes I used overlap, but that's due to them being stories from different versions of the bible with slightly different wordings or verse locations, since Christians can rearrange the bible at will and still claim it's divine inspiration. As for understanding Christian theology, you're looking at the byproduct 14 years of Christian schooling.

 

You see, there's this mythical lie called "Christian theology" and then there "What Christians actually are". The bible is basically a small handfull of generally decent philosophical ideas within this overwhelming pile of racist, homophobic, hateful shit.

 

Hitler had a few okay ideas about political policy, does that mean we should ignore the rest of the shit the Nazi's did? No.

 

Same with Christians... except Christians killed more people than the Nazi's and have caused more pain and suffering and generally have even less good parts... Jesus didn't invent the Volkswagon.

Psst...he changed the subject on you because he felt guilty about the stolen video game.  Remember: fundy Christians are never wrong and if they are, they change the subject.  A good subject is bible semantics. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I could argue I hurt fewer people than you did by buying (I presume you bought it when it was a funny-shaped cartridge) an unauthorized Nintendo rip-off of The Legend of Zelda.

My dad bought it, and he probably had no idea the game was unlicensed.  He tried playing Halo 3 this thanksgiving, and it didn't go well for him. 

Quote:
Why don't you just admit you like the game and you don't care it was stolen.  Then you wouldn't sound like a hypocrite.

I loved the game, and I am going to research all of this stuff in a minute. 

Quote:
Instead you have to start attacking everyone else for doing things you wouldn't do because you're so much better than us because you're a Christian.

When did I do that? 

Quote:
Can't you see why acting like that makes the rest of us want to fucking explode?  You won't play Grand Theft Auto because of the cussing, but a stolen video game is just fine because it glorifies God.

Good time for me to do some research.

http://thewarpzone.classicgaming.gamespy.com/colordreamsshrine1/wisdomtree.html

Quote:
The majority of Wisdom Tree’s releases were made using the Crystal Mines game engine [http://www.gamespot.com/nes/puzzle/crystalmines/index.html]. Exodus and Joshua were Crystal Mines games with tweaked graphics. The engine was modified again for Spiritual Warfare and yet a third time for Bible Buffet.

Quote:
Spiritual Warfare was probably Wisdom tree’s best game. Warfare is a Legend of Zelda clone, and quite a good one at that.

http://thewarpzone.classicgaming.gamespy.com/colordreamsshrine1/colordreams.html

Quote:
As for obtaining an official license to produce carts from Nintendo, Color Dreams decided against it. In a prior interview, Dan Lawton recollects the reasoning behind this decision.

Quote:
The major problem with engineering games without an official Nintendo development kit was Nintendo’s lock out chip. This chip made it impossible for an unlicensed Nintendo game to boot, unless the chip was bypassed by one way or another. Jim Meuer and Dan Lawton spent quite some time figuring out the inner-workings of the Nintendo and they eventually developed a way for the cartridges to legally bypass Nintendo’s lock out chip.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System#Unlicensed_games

Quote:
Atari Games created a line of NES products under the name Tengen, and took a different approach. Afraid of damaging NES units and being liable for it by using the voltage spike technique, the company obtained a description of the lockout chip from the United States Patent and Trademark Office by falsely claiming that it was required to defend against present infringement claims in a legal case. Tengen then used these documents to design its Rabbit chip, which duplicated the function of the 10NES. Nintendo sued Tengen forcopyright infringement, which Tengen lost. Tengen’s antitrust claims against Nintendo were never finally decided.[32]

Following the introduction of the Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo began to face real competition in the industry, and in the early 1990s was forced to reevaluate its stance towards its developers, many of whom had begun to defect to other systems. When the console was reissued as the NES 2, the 10NES chip was omitted from the console, marking the end of Nintendo’s most notorious hold over its third-party developers.

 

None of you researched your positions on this did you?  You were just happy to hear that a company who produced Christian themed games stole code from Nintendo.  I'm not even sure if I believe the guy's claim about Noah's Ark 3D, even though they didn't steal the code, because he clearly stated that Id gave it to Wisdom Tree.  IMO, Id would have been smart to just port the game themselves.  This sounds way to familiar, someone tells you Jesus never lived and you get all giddy about it.  

So to answer your question: No, I don't feel bad about playing Spiritual Warfare at all.  They stole no code and broke no laws.  Thank you all for educating me.  I am an avid gamer to this day, and I really enjoyed reading about this. . . and not just because my findings made you look silly.   


heyeverybody
Theist
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-10-23
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
Psst...he changed the subject on you because he felt guilty about the stolen video game.  Remember: fundy Christians are never wrong and if they are, they change the subject.  A good subject is bible semantics. Smiling

 Thanks for getting me back on subject.  And actually, all I have done is respond to all of you.  

 As a part of my research, I found this, http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/index.php , any serious gamer should check it out.  You're welcome!  Mac users, I am sorry I think it's still in BETA for us.  Just another reason to get Leopard so we can dual boot! 


Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
Posts: 1955
Joined: 2006-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Religion turns people into

Religion turns people into such buzzkills.  Jesus.