Just my introduction into this interesting website.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just my introduction into this interesting website.

Hello everyone ( atheists and theists alike ) I am just here to announce my presence on this forum. I have read some of the threads already and I'm very impressed with the quality of the responses. I hope to contribute to the various discussion around the board and to just have a good time here with friends and "opponents". I am a Christian apostate who has left the faith and am now on my way to hell because God loves me. Cheers.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Prozac!  Would you

Welcome Prozac!  Would you mind sharing why you chose to leave your faith?  Many of us have done the same and it is always interesting to hear the stories from others. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'll try to be fairly brief

I'll try to be fairly brief as my de-conversion story is fairly hum-drum and probably similar to many others on this forum. I was raised in a Protestant fundamentalist household ( ie, Methodist, Baptist ) and was raised to be receptive to their theology. Like most young people brought up in a religious home I eventually "received Christ as my Savior" at age 15.

All was well ( more or less ) until I entered my early forties and began to examine some of the atheist / skeptic websites. The first to destabilize my faith was the Biblical Errancy web-site that was put up by C. Dennis McKinsey. As inerrancy was one of the bedrocks of my Christian faith this discovery was something of a shock. Also when I read the pathetic responses from Christian apologists ( Tektonics.org ) I could see that they were simply grasping for straws.

At any rate the gradual destruction of my faith was centered around my having reluctantly discovered that my religious mentors had lied to me about Biblical inerrancy. If they were wrong about this foundational belief, what else could they be mistaken about ?

As a side note the many stories of outright butchery that Christians would defend as acceptable ( Hosea 13:16 ) began to strike me as repugnant. These Christians were no different than Muslims ( whom most Christians despise ) in the way that the most brutal behavior imaginable was made totally acceptable simply by rationalizing as "God's will."

At any rate I have abandoned my faith. That faith, which was once a valuable possession, turned out to be nothing but useless, and as such I simply threw it away.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum!  I

Welcome to the forum!  I have to say thanks in advance for the nightmares I'm going to get from your avatar.  I think clowns are scary enough in their own right but that shit just takes the cake.  Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Prozac, Nice to meet

Hey Prozac, Nice to meet you. To meet you nice. That avatar is scary shit.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thank you to everyone who

Thank you to everyone who has stopped by and said "hello". I'm happy to be here.

( Yes my avatar is hard to ignore but sooner or later I'll get bored and change it. )

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.  Your

Welcome to the forum.  Your avatar reminds me of a fellow that works at a local restaurant. 

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums. 

Welcome to the forums. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Welcome to the

Nero wrote:
Welcome to the forum.  Your avatar reminds me of a fellow that works at a local restaurant. 

And you still ate there?  My dear Nero, you are crazy!!  Sticking out tongue

If god takes life he's an indian giver