Tony Blair Feared Sounding Like a "Nutter" About His Faith

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline

Why didn't former British Prime Minister talk openly about his religious faith? "We don't do God" said his press secretary when asked about Blair's faith.

It's just the opposite here unfortunetly. Politicians shy away from talk about secularism. If only the people and the press were as critical and cynical about mixing religous belief and politics here in the U.S.

PM Tony Blair feared being labled a "nutter" Laughing

BLAIR ON RELIGION *I DIDN'T WANT TO BE LABELED A NUTTER*

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
He did not talk about it for

He did not talk about it for the same reason all american politicans DO talk about it, he wanted to be elected.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Dawkins Rottweiler
Dawkins Rottweiler's picture
User is offlineOffline

If the shoe fits...

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blair was a nutter and he

Blair was a nutter and he was a religious nutter. Religious nuts aren't popular with the electorate here.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
Blair was a nutter and he was a religious nutter. Religious nuts aren't popular with the electorate here.

Must be all of those religious civil wars you folks had.  Let's see.  There was Mary I, Charles I/Cromwell, James II/his children, and George I/the Old Pretender.  Yeah, I can see why you'd be shy of religion.  lol

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well that at least explains

Well that at least explains why Tony Blair followed George Bush into Iraq...

George Bush: "Hey Tony, I talked to God and he wants us to invade Iraq!"

Tony Blair: "OK!"

Blair is a complete nutter.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: Well that at

geirj wrote:

Well that at least explains why Tony Blair followed George Bush into Iraq...

George Bush: "Hey Tony, I talked to God and he wants us to invade Iraq!"

Tony Blair: "OK!"

Blair is a complete nutter.

Exactly! He just didn't talk openly about it like Bush did. Unfortunetly, our electorate is made up of a lot of nutters. That's why these right-wing Christians keep getting elected.  

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I saw an article a few

I saw an article a few months ago while he was still in power that said he'd converted to Catholicism (his wife was Catholic). Gordon Brown is better (still religious) but infinitely less nutty. I don't think he's going to last as long though, a lot's gone against him since he came to power. Next government will be fucking wankjob Tories (equivalent of Republicans) for sure. Labour are just the lesser of two wankjobs so I'd rather have them.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
So why did we go through

So why did we go through all the trouble of the American Revolution just so we could wind up with a government just like Great Britain's? The lesser of two wankjobs, indeed.

I hope that if a Democrat is elected here next year, he/she will find some testicular/ovarian fortitude and start making some proper decisions. The Democrats have been criticized (and rightly so) for being afraid to piss anyone off - while the Republicans parade around the world pissing everyone off. Doing the right thing will inevitably piss some people off. But at least it's still doing the right thing.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Tories fuck everyone over

Tories fuck everyone over with their ridiculous free market ideology. At least when Labour fuck everyone over they pretend that they're being nice.