New kid >_>

RAWRimmacheetah
RAWRimmacheetah's picture
User is offlineOffline
New kid >_>

Hola

I'm more recently deconverted, about a month ago if I recall properly. I was raised in a pretty conservative Christian home. The standard family with our shelves full of Dr. Dobson "Abuse is a-ok with the Lord!" books, solid church attendance, etc.

I 'accepted' Jesus as my savior at around age 3, although obviously I wasn't even close to the age where I could make that kind of a decision. I was thouroughly indoctrinated, believing that evolution was foolish, Noah's Ark is actually up there in Mount Ararat frozen in a glacier, the basic stuff. The only thing that really bothers me is all the wasted time. Any public school science class was wasted on me, I'm only within the past two months actually understanding Natural Selection. I still wish I could go back and take advantage of the educational oppertunities I had to actually learn something.

I've rededicated my life to Jesus more times than I can count, asking the obvious questions in my pre teen age like "If God knows everything, why did he create us knowing that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit?" (I was told to add this to the ever growing list of things to ask God when I get to Heaven) and moving on to the more philisophical stuff from 15ish and on. My older sister is probably the first (and only) person to introduce logical thought to me, and probably the reason I'm now a free thinking atheist (although she, beyond my comprehension, still adheres to the Christian faith)

My mother is more or less an illogical Fundementalist. Just to give an example of what I'm facing when debating with her, last night she brought up Noah's Ark. According to her, (she readily spouts whatever the Religious Right puts forth as truth without even looking at the opposing argument) the fossil record supports the flood story. She had no source on hand and told me she'd send it via email. I, instead of attacking that claim, confronted her on the illogicality of the story. Earlier we had discussed evolution and she had of course denied macro evolution. I confronted her with something along the lines of "There is no possible way that even one of every animal could ever fit in a boat with the measurements given in the bible. The only way that would work is if the species in the ark evolved into new ones." She of course still holds that as impossible and unprovable so I had presumably destroyed the ark story's validity. Her response: "God can do anything"

Oh how I hate this argument. If I call her on it and ask why he didn't just fucking turn everyone but Noah and his family into salt or something, she'd simply employ the argument that humans can't understand why God does what he does (basically another version of "ask him when you get to Heaven" )

I've been enjoying the (free) Rational Response Squad radio shows for about a week now (thanks to the FLAM player). I'm unfortunately not the best in the world when it comes to debating people face to face. With my mom, it's increasingly difficult to debate her due to her very concrete irrational beliefs. I'm here to observe, gather knowledge, etc. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions because I'm still new to the world of rational thought. I hope to gather enough knowledge to challenge my mom and other theists effectively. Unfortunately, my sister is either way out my league philisophically or just plain insane. I simply can't match her in debate because I never really understand where she's coming from.

Anyway, if anyone has the patience to read all that and all the following, I have a few question and requests:

Any and all Bible verses (w/chapter and verse) that are just plain repulsive and ridiculous that you can provide for me would be ver appreciated.

Also, concrete evidence for macro evolution would be very appreciated.

Now, something that bothers me is embryonic stem cell research. All I ever hear about it is it's remarkable "potential" but it seems that all the progress is being made in adult stem cell research. Have I been duped or is there still no notable progress in the field of embryonic stem cell research?

Any help with those things would be great. I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors, I'm not the best at typing and I am currently very tired.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum. this

welcome to the forum. this link should answer your question about evolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

you must be very intelligent to be able to break out of such strong indoctrination, felicitation.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   I feel ya, nice Karma,

I feel ya, nice Karma, glad yer here.

I'm an atheist, and an Alan Watts fan,  .... I AM GOD .... exactly like you. I like plugging cool Alan ....

Some evil bible , http://www.evilbible.com/ 

Lucky you, Check out RRS fully, the rrs authors etc.  

Hola ! 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
You've only been an atheist

You've only been an atheist for a month? Did you go directly from Christianity to atheism, or did you, like most have a period where you were a diest(gave up on christianity but not a god concept)?

Anyhow, if you are not used to debating be warned that some theists are well seasoned at the art of basterdizing science. Just remember after all the elaborate BS they still cannot back up magical claims with anything other than "God did it".

Genisis treats the sun and moon as two seperate sources of light. The bible treats all the points of light in the night sky, besides the moon, as stars when we know that some are planets and others intire galaxies which the bible never mentions.

Absurdities such as "POOF" an adult female coming from human bone instantainously. Snakes turning into wood. Disimbodied ghost knocks up a 9-14 girl. And human flesh surviving rigior mortis after 3 days.

You mentioned Noah, thats another absurdity you could write an entire book on. But, once again, other than "God did it" the bible never mentions thinks like black widdows, dart frogs, cobras, scorpians.

The bible simply claims that "Noah" called the animals and "Poof" they blindly followed. Hippos kill more humans than alligators, but the bible never talks about dangerous animals, just that two of every kind and that "God did it".

Here is the fact, it is FICTION and you are lucky to escape it's grip. It is hocus pokus and as Jefferson writely wrote in a letter to John Adams April 11th 1823 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
You've only been an atheist

You've only been an atheist for a month? Did you go directly from Christianity to atheism, or did you, like most have a period where you were a diest(gave up on christianity but not a god concept)?

Anyhow, if you are not used to debating be warned that some theists are well seasoned at the art of basterdizing science. Just remember after all the elaborate BS they still cannot back up magical claims with anything other than "God did it".

Genisis treats the sun and moon as two seperate sources of light. The bible treats all the points of light in the night sky, besides the moon, as stars when we know that some are planets and others intire galaxies which the bible never mentions.

Absurdities such as "POOF" an adult female coming from human bone instantainously. Snakes turning into wood. Disimbodied ghost knocks up a 9-14 girl. And human flesh surviving rigior mortis after 3 days.

You mentioned Noah, thats another absurdity you could write an entire book on. But, once again, other than "God did it" the bible never mentions things like black widdows, dart frogs, cobras, scorpians.

The bible simply claims that "Noah" called the animals and "Poof" they blindly followed. Hippos kill more humans than alligators, but the bible never talks about dangerous animals, just that two of every kind and that "God did it".

Here is the fact, it is FICTION and you are lucky to escape it's grip. It is hocus pokus and as Jefferson writely wrote in a letter to John Adams April 11th 1823

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad to have you on board.

Glad to have you on board. There are plently of people here who can point out the answers to your questions, spend some more time on the forums and you can probally find them. If you need anything specific feel free to ask. I'll point out the specific people who can help if you don't find out what you need on your own.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty much stuck in

I'm pretty much stuck in the same boat you are, RAW.

Read, "Noah's Flood: The New Scientific Discoveries About the Event that Changed History"

That will point out how impossible Noah's Flood is.  For one, you need 10 times as much water on Earth than there is.

But if there was, the water vapor would hold so much heat we would be vaporized like we would be on Venus.

But you don't have to worry about that because the atmospheric pressure would be so great that we would be crushed flat.

Eh, the madness never ends.  The bible is flat out obvious fiction.  And dangerous fiction at that.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, "microevolution"

By the way, "microevolution" and "macroevolution" are not scientific term. They were invented by creationists to confuse the issue.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RAWRimmacheetah

RAWRimmacheetah wrote:

Hola

Hello, sorry to hear about your family problems.

RAWRimmacheetah wrote:
Now, something that bothers me is embryonic stem cell research. All I ever hear about it is it's remarkable "potential" but it seems that all the progress is being made in adult stem cell research. Have I been duped or is there still no notable progress in the field of embryonic stem cell research?

I oppose embryonic stem cell research (ESR) for Biblical reasons (note my theist "badge" Smiling

There are rational reasons for opposing ESR. We must ask ourselves "what is human life", "does human life have value", and "where does that value come from".

Scientifically, a fetilized egg (embryo) is a new, unique human life.

The question of value is largely a legal one. America is currently confused about the value of human life. We want to assert the value of life, but we also want to be able to kill inconvenient people, or kill people in order to benefit ourselves.

This is an interesting problem, I'd be interested in what others have to say.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: I oppose

nedbrek wrote:

I oppose embryonic stem cell research (ESR) for Biblical reasons (note my theist "badge" Smiling

There are rational reasons for opposing ESR. We must ask ourselves "what is human life", "does human life have value", and "where does that value come from".

Scientifically, a fetilized egg (embryo) is a new, unique human life.

The question of value is largely a legal one. America is currently confused about the value of human life. We want to assert the value of life, but we also want to be able to kill inconvenient people, or kill people in order to benefit ourselves.

This is an interesting problem, I'd be interested in what others have to say.

If I'm not mistaken, the research on embryonic stem cells is performed on eggs fertilized in fertility clinics that would not be implanted in a woman for purposes of procreation. These eggs would be simply thrown out if not used for science.

http://www.broadenedhorizons.org/id53.htm

If my story is straight, then it highlights another example of theist hypocrisy-- they love to rant and rave about the evils of stem cell research, but have you ever heard of a theist protesting fertility clinics?

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: If I'm

Roisin Dubh wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the research on embryonic stem cells is performed on eggs fertilized in fertility clinics that would not be implanted in a woman for purposes of procreation. These eggs would be simply thrown out if not used for science.

Sure, that doesn't make them not human life.  It certainly shows we have no value for human life...

Roisin Dubh wrote:
If my story is straight, then it highlights another example of theist hypocrisy-- they love to rant and rave about the evils of stem cell research, but have you ever heard of a theist protesting fertility clinics?

A lot of people don't understand human development.  A lot have not thought everything through.  Some are certainly hypocrites.

I have the same moral problems with a fertility clinic making more embryos than they plan to implant.  I also have a problem with people implanting more embryos than they plan to give birth to (reduction anyone?).

Of course, doing the moral thing will increase costs (in a procedure already very costly).  But economics does not change the morality of the situation. 

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: Sure, that

nedbrek wrote:

Sure, that doesn't make them not human life. It certainly shows we have no value for human life...

Then, you need to talk to your god about this, because approximately 60?% of fertilized eggs will fail to implant, and naturally abort themselves. Also, using your logic, if I cut off a small piece of my skin, that in and of itself is human life.

Quote:
A lot of people don't understand human development. A lot have not thought everything through. Some are certainly hypocrites.

Most are hypocrites. The amount of factual knowledge that the majority of theists base their beliefs on would fit in a thimble.

Quote:
I have the same moral problems with a fertility clinic making more embryos than they plan to implant.

They have to, as part of the process.

Quote:
I also have a problem with people implanting more embryos than they plan to give birth to (reduction anyone?).

I don't follow you here. Why would someone implant an embryo if they didn't want to have a child?

Quote:
Of course, doing the moral thing will increase costs (in a procedure already very costly). But economics does not change the morality of the situation.

Then, again I raise the question-- where is the outrage at the the murderous practices of fertility clinics? Where is the drive to pass legislation outlawing fertility treatments?

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: Then,

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Then, you need to talk to your god about this, because approximately 60?% of fertilized eggs will fail to implant, and naturally abort themselves. Also, using your logic, if I cut off a small piece of my skin, that in and of itself is human life.

People die all the time.  That doesn't mean they aren't people.  Or that we should could whomever we like.  Your skin cells are not unique individuals.  They are your "adult" cells (an embryo has adult cells after about nine days, before that we are capable of asexual reproduction - twinning).

Roisin Dubh wrote:
Most are hypocrites. The amount of factual knowledge that the majority of theists base their beliefs on would fit in a thimble.

What is conversion factor between "Libraries of Congress" and "thimbles"? Smiling

Quote:
I have the same moral problems with a fertility clinic making more embryos than they plan to implant.

Roisin Dubh wrote:
They have to, as part of the process.

Not necessarily.  They could create them one at a time, and implant one at a time.

Quote:
I also have a problem with people implanting more embryos than they plan to give birth to (reduction anyone?).

Roisin Dubh wrote:
I don't follow you here. Why would someone implant an embryo if they didn't want to have a child?

But people will implant five embryos.  Then "reduce" (kill) one or more at a later time. 

Quote:
Of course, doing the moral thing will increase costs (in a procedure already very costly). But economics does not change the morality of the situation.

Roisin Dubh wrote:
Then, again I raise the question-- where is the outrage at the the murderous practices of fertility clinics? Where is the drive to pass legislation outlawing fertility treatments?

I don't know if you are going to see people picketing in the streets any time soon.  We can't even get 50% of the people to agree abortion is wrong... 

RAWRimmacheetah
User is offlineOffline
Personally, if embryonic

Personally, if embryonic stem cell research does what it's said to be able to do, I'm okay with embryos (Which have no neurons and therefore no conscience, pain, memories, etc.) being used to save the millions and potential billions from the ailments it can be utilized for.

It's in the same boat as animal research for me. It can ride my moral gray area, but the medical benefits far outweigh the problems I may heve with any gruesome images I'm sent in those pointless chain letter emails.

Another problem is, since those embryos have no neurons, they're no more than potential human life. No different than an egg cell or sperm cell.

Potential human life will never hold more value in my mind than existing human life.

Also, no one answered my question.  Really, I fucking know there's a moral debate.  Now take it somewhere else, I've honestly heard it before.  I just want to know if there is any observable progress that would justify spending taxpayer money on embryonic stem cell research as opposed to focusing on adult stem cell research (which has seen progress)

"Shut the fuck up" - Penn Jillette

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: People die

nedbrek wrote:

People die all the time. That doesn't mean they aren't people. Or that we should could whomever we like.

OK, let me back up here a second. What is your definition of life?

Quote:
What is conversion factor between "Libraries of Congress" and "thimbles"? Smiling

Nothing in the LIbraries of Congress contains any factual evidence of any deity.

Quote:
Not necessarily. They could create them one at a time, and implant one at a time.

My memory is foggy on this, but I thought there was a (non-financial) reason for creating numerous embryos at once. I'll do some investigating.

Quote:
But people will implant five embryos. Then "reduce" (kill) one or more at a later time.

Well, most clinics won't implant more than 2 at a time, but I see where you're coming from now.

Quote:
I don't know if you are going to see people picketing in the streets any time soon.

Then, you're agreeing with me that the majority of theists(ok, let's limit this to christians) are hypocrites?

Quote:
We can't even get 50% of the people to agree abortion is wrong...

I'll never see it as wrong(provided it happens in the very early stages). Too many people on the planet, too many of the ones already here don't even have the basic necessities.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
RAWRimmacheetah

RAWRimmacheetah wrote:

Also, no one answered my question. Really, I fucking know there's a moral debate. Now take it somewhere else, I've honestly heard it before. I just want to know if there is any observable progress that would justify spending taxpayer money on embryonic stem cell research as opposed to focusing on adult stem cell research (which has seen progress)

No.  As far as we know it is just potential...  However, you can't knock stem cells for not having solved some great medical dilema when researchers haven't really had the availability of these cells and funding to adequately reasearch that potential.

The fact that adult stem cells are currently used for aprox. 40 medical needs should make that potential crystal clear. 

RAWRimmacheetah
User is offlineOffline
Alright, makes sense. 

Alright, makes sense.  Thanks for clearing that up, I feel kind of silly for not making that connection before.

"Shut the fuck up" - Penn Jillette

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: Quote: I

nedbrek wrote:

Quote:

Roisin Dubh wrote:

But people will implant five embryos. Then "reduce" (kill) one or more at a later time.

The number, technically, is not 5 it is 2-4.  Multifetal pregnancy reduction isn't limited to in vitro fertilization.  Sure, fertility treatments have increased the occurance of multiple pregnancies but let's not forget that 'god' has allowed multiple pregnancies to occur the old fashioned way as well.

Couples turning to in vitro have usually struggled with fertility issues.  Reduction can only be done in a short window and carries a huge risk of losing the whole pregnancy.  I doubt many people would struggle this hard to have a kid just to risk throwing it all away.  More often women carring multiples deliver multiples.  Reduction isn't just done on a whim... doctors perform reduction when/if it is in the best interests of the mother's health and the survival of the remaining, viable, fetuses. 

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: Roisin Dubh

nedbrek wrote:
Roisin Dubh wrote:

Sure, that doesn't make them not human life. It certainly shows we have no value for human life...

No it doesn't - it shows that the value we place on the developing child increases from a relatively low level up to the normal value we place on a fellow human as the foetus/embryo/unborn child aquires more of the attributes of a human person, such as the ability to feel and think.

These days we usually treat a newborn child as deserving full human status, altho that has not always been so. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you. Here is a

Nice to meet you. Here is a very good site with many videos http://godisimaginary.com/

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welome to the forum.  You

Welome to the forum.  You will find plenty of support for your metamorphosis.

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
(sorry for the delay)

(sorry for the delay)

BobSpence1 wrote:
No it doesn't - it shows that the value we place on the developing child increases from a relatively low level up to the normal value we place on a fellow human as the foetus/embryo/unborn child aquires more of the attributes of a human person, such as the ability to feel and think.

Is a person's value dependent on what that person can do?

BobSpence1 wrote:
These days we usually treat a newborn child as deserving full human status, altho that has not always been so.

Would you say people who practiced "exposure" (leaving a newborn to die) were wrong?

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: OK, let

Roisin Dubh wrote:

OK, let me back up here a second. What is your definition of life?

Life in general? I'm not sure I can give something concise (excluding fire, do viruses count, other weird replicating patterns). Human life is the product of sex cells from human parents (current humans). Current humans would be the population of all countries. (Sort of a grandfather clause).

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Then, you're agreeing with me that the majority of theists(ok, let's limit this to christians) are hypocrites?

Yes. I'm certain I've been a hypocrite at times too. It's a common human problem.  If I am currently hypocritical, I would appreciate someone notifying me... 

Roisin Dubh wrote:
I'll never see it as wrong(provided it happens in the very early stages). Too many people on the planet, too many of the ones already here don't even have the basic necessities.

Could you agree that it is human life? And these cases are the death penalty applied rather arbitrarily? (Citizen's arrest, conviction, and execution)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was also brought up

I was also brought up fundamentlist, in a fundamentalist school, so I never even got the opportunity to learn anything about evolution.  I've taken it upon myself to learn.

You're a lucky dog because evolution is fascinating and much more "magical" than anything Christianity has to offer.  Smiling  

I would love to have more money for books, but in the meantime, I watch documentaries, peruse the Internets™ and read what books I can.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Making of the Fittest by Sean Carroll.

Also, watch the documentary based on Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker: http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,241,The-Blind-Watchmaker--Video,Richard-Dawkins 

I don't think that last link works, but I'm too sick to find you a working one...sorry...off to bed or something 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.