Who here is an organ donor?

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who here is an organ donor?

Hi there guys&dolls,

Im curious as to how many of you are organ donors?

Personally I have always made it known to family that after death "have at it !" and use any bit of me you like....

My wife on the other hand had a harder time of the decision , but recently decided it was the best thing..

so share with us, why you ARE a donor , or , why you aren't .....

cheers

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a donor, because since

I am a donor, because since I won`t be needing them anymore i figure someone else can have them.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Yes I am a donor

Yes I am a donor myself, I have it not only on my license (which in canada means squat because your family can overide your wishes) I also have it in my will (as well that anyone attempting to stop it from happening is automatically excluded from the will) and as well a living will (I cover myself well just incase one of my children one decides for whatever reason that they don't want my organs donated). I am a firm believer in donating organs, i am dead i have no use for them and if someone else can use them, go right ahead.

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck, sounds like

latincanuck, sounds like you have it covered well, really well,, excellent ..

I would think that organ donation would be more prevalent amongst NON-believersthat theists ?

Any theists care to comment?

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm am! It was a pretty

I am! It was a pretty simple decision for me; I mean, my body is essentially just meat once I'm dead, and I don't see why I should have any qualms about someone using otherwise useless matter to save people's lives. So many people die waiting for organs, which is really tragic, so I would never begrudge someone mine once I'm not using them any more. I've never really understood why some people decide not to be organ donors. Out of curiosity, why did your wife have reservations initially?

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am and the it shouldn't be

I am and the it shouldn't be a choice, either. Once you are dead it doens't matter. If your religion requires your organs to be kept intact after you are gone then you're part of a huge minority.

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think i almost agree with

I think i almost agree with you crimson , it shouldnt be a choice , or ... if anything , it should be an OPT-OUT option , not the current opt-in situation.

My wife was initially not keen on it because of silly superstitions she is busy casting off ....

the idea that saying yes on the form , may then result in an earllier death .... pffft...

she is generally not a superstitious person , but some things are hard (for her) to shake off i guess.

she was raised in a religious family also , so that may have something to do with it.

Brayton.l
Brayton.l's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

But of course!

Take what you want, leave the rest for the carrion!

It's a much better proposition than being gutted, filled with noxious chemicals and buried in the ground.

When you've taken what you need, dig a hole, put me in it, and plant a tree on me, let me become what I came from. Now, hows that for a carbon footprint!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nope. Insulin dependant

Nope. Insulin dependant diabetic so I can't.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes i am an organ donor.

Yes i am an organ donor.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've watched Monty Python's

I've watched Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.  I know better than to sign an organ donor card.

(Ok, I really am an organ donor.) 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've watched Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.  I know better than to sign an organ donor card.

Me too , I organised to die the way that guy in the movie chose to die....

Smiling  I amlooking forward to it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I am an organ donor

Yeah, I am an organ donor but it really pisses me off. My organs are quite valuable, I really think my wife should be compensated for them. If I figure out a way to sell them before I die or arrange for them to be sold, that is what I will do. Think I could put them on ebay? Maybe I could say my heart has an imprint of Jesus.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am. when they are done,

I am. when they are done, they can just roll me up in an old carpet and put me out with the garbage for all I care.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote: I am. when

mr804 wrote:
I am. when they are done, they can just roll me up in an old carpet and put me out with the garbage for all I care.

Can I have you stuffed and put out in the yard on Halloween to scare the kids?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Organ donor here! They can

Organ donor here! They can take whatever they need, then bury the rest for the trees! ( http://www.naturalburial.coop/ )

-Triften

P.S. An interesting video on the funeral industry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PKO5WyPpg .

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am.  However, I have

I am.  However, I have been pretty thorough in ruining the ones that anyone would want.  For instance, there are cabbages that would make a better heart than mine and plastic bags that are better than my lungs.

Now, on an unacceptable level, I cannot believe that I am the one who gets to say this.  "I am always willing to be an organ donor to a pretty woman."  Time to go self-flagulate.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Nope.

MattShizzle wrote:
Can't you donate your organs to science at least?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a donor. Just seems like

I'm a donor. Just seems like a no-brainer - kind of like not believing in God.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: MattShizzle

Magus wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

That's what I've done.   My Living Will basically donates my entire body to science.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote: MattShizzle

Magus wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

I would, but I hear they charge an arm and a leg to take your body to the lab (no, I don't mean they literally take an arm and a leg from you, stupid! :p  )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: I'm a donor.

geirj wrote:
I'm a donor. Just seems like a no-brainer - kind of like not believing in God.

And you'll be minus that brain regardless of whether they harvest it or not.  I have special instructions for my brain, hoping it will end up in the hands of those researching certain neurological ailments I'm stuck with. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Magus

MattShizzle wrote:

Magus wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:

I would, but I hear they charge an arm and a leg to take your body to the lab (no, I don't mean they literally take an arm and a leg from you, stupid! Sticking out tongue )

Really?  That means my fundamentalist mother would have to pay for it.  Darn.  Smiling  You'd think that they'd pay your family for a body, though.  I bet in this society not too many people will their bodies to science.

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure most of my

I'm pretty sure most of my parts are past their "use by" date. But yea, I am a donor. The idea of going to a body farm gives me the willes though. (Irrational remnant).

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont know about leaving

I dont know about leaving it to science , I think i could leave MY body to science fiction!

lol

not ONE response froma theist ?

whats up with that ?

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
Yep I've made it quite

Yep I've made it quite clear to my family and friends that scientists and doctors can do whatever they want with my body. Abuse it, kick it around, cut it up, give parts to other people, whatever.

We use to have a system in Western Australia whereby when you renewed your drivers licence you could tick a box indicating that you wish to donate your organs and a special symbol would be present on the license if so.

However a few years ago they removed this option and now you have to fill out a whole heap of paperwork and there is no symbol whatsoever put on your license. So instead of making it really really easy to become an organ donor, they've gone and made it really hard.

The DL idea was fanastic, get into an accident, paramedics come, look at your licence and go 'Off to the slicer and dicer for this guy!'

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Do they have to be my

Do they have to be my organs?  Or just organs in general?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's derailing the thread a

It's derailing the thread a little, but the bit about being tree food inspired me.  I'm thinking seriously of becoming a reef.

I don't feel like finding the link now, but you can google it if you want.  I'm sure it's pretty easy to find.  There's a company that will grind you up and put you into a cement thing that looks sort of like a coral reef.  Then they dump you into the ocean, and fish live in your carcass for decades, maybe longer.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anything of me left over

Anything of me left over the wife is going to get made into a diamond !

Smiling

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It's

Hambydammit wrote:

It's derailing the thread a little, but the bit about being tree food inspired me. I'm thinking seriously of becoming a reef.

I don't feel like finding the link now, but you can google it if you want. I'm sure it's pretty easy to find. There's a company that will grind you up and put you into a cement thing that looks sort of like a coral reef. Then they dump you into the ocean, and fish live in your carcass for decades, maybe longer.

I am an organ donor.  Whatever I decide to do before I die (if I get the chance to decide), I want it to be productive.  The reef thing is a great idea, but I've also considered a sky burial.  Don't know how feasible that is in our culture, though.  I just don't want my death to be some kind of production, you know?  You can spend thousands of dollars getting me cleaned up at the taxidermist, or just let the hell hounds ravage me.  In my mind, the choice is clear.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um... I feel dense now. 

Um... I feel dense now.  What's a sky burial?

Books about atheism

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Um... I

Hambydammit wrote:

Um... I feel dense now.  What's a sky burial?

Either he means getting his ashes dumped out of an airplane, shot into space, or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see. I disagree with the

I see.

I disagree with the waste of airplane fuel, so I wouldn't do that version.  Obviously, I would disagree with the waste of rocket fuel, so space is pretty much out of the question, too.  It seems a lot of trouble to get hacked into pieces and put on a mountain.

I think I'll stick with the reef idea for now.

Books about atheism

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I see.

I disagree with the waste of airplane fuel, so I wouldn't do that version. Obviously, I would disagree with the waste of rocket fuel, so space is pretty much out of the question, too. It seems a lot of trouble to get hacked into pieces and put on a mountain.

I think I'll stick with the reef idea for now.

What about the fuel needed for cremation? (IIRC, your ashes get mixed in with the concrete for the reef thing.)

-Triften 

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am an organ donor. Like

I am an organ donor. Like others in this thread said, my organs will be of no use to me once I'm done with them, so why not give them to someone who needs them?

Hambydammit wrote:

It's derailing the thread a little, but the bit about being tree food inspired me.  I'm thinking seriously of becoming a reef.

I don't feel like finding the link now, but you can google it if you want.  I'm sure it's pretty easy to find.  There's a company that will grind you up and put you into a cement thing that looks sort of like a coral reef.  Then they dump you into the ocean, and fish live in your carcass for decades, maybe longer.

There's a bunch of companies that'll do that. Some are in the funeral industry, others are in the "finance" industry. Still others will skip the grinding part and go straight to the cement part, but most of those would stop at your ankles. Not that I have any firsthand knowledge of this sort of thing.

How do I know about this, you ask? Why....Hey, look over there! *points stage left*

*exits stage right*

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.