New theist here...

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
New theist here...

Hi everyone, I'm a theist (or rather deist). I don't currently believe in any religion, though I am starting to reconcile myself with the Bible. I've been reading these forums for a while, and I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for being someone who is starting to believe the Bible, but whatever. I'd like to point out that you guys are much more educated than Christians, I like these forums because it's a great way to explore and further understand your beliefs. It's truly a researched belief that you guys have here, it's not blind faith like a lot of people, and I want to say that while I don't agree with what you believe, I admire the fact that yours is a very strong belief, not one taken from thin air. So yeah, that's pretty much it, I don't really have anything else to say.

Sexo Grammaticus
Rational VIP!
Sexo Grammaticus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Calm down. Let's get back on track.

As much as I'd like to change gears and just start arguing with the guy who said he hated Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, I'll continue on with the main subject here.

1. As a few people have already tried to point out, those of us who say they "hate" the Jehovah of the Old Testament are referring to someone they believe to be a fictional character. Edison, you opened by saying that you also believe that no particular religion's scripture is literally true, so this distinction should be clear to you. I think everyone on here would sign off on the statement "If it turned out that there was a God, it would certainly be nothing like the God of the Old Testament, so what I say about that character has no bearing on what I would think of the God who turned out to exist."

2. You say it's hard to figure out what God wants you to do. I can see how that would be hard, but here's what I can offer: If you believe that God is all-wise and good, then you can figure out what it wants you to do by using logic, reason, and science to the best of your ability, the same as you would if you didn't believe in God. If you don't believe that God is all-wise and good, then why should you care what it wants you to do, since not believing this is the same as admitting that God could be wrong?

3. Since you have described yourself as basically an agnostic deist, I'm confused as to why you are concerned with reconciling yourself to Christianity and the Christian Bible. You seem hesitant to close yourself off from different ways of looking at things (which is admirable), so why assume that if there is a God, it must be the Christian one, and leave out Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.? It's not like your only two options are strict atheism and literalist Christianity.

4. In case you care, I was raised with no religion, and am an atheist because no-one ever gave me a good reason why I should stop being one. Since a lot of people on here are ex-theists, maybe hearing it framed this way will put a new spin on things for you. I never even really thought of myself as an "atheist" growing up--I was just a person, and only realized I was an "atheist" when it became apparent that there were people who did believe in God and got in my face about it all the time. If someone who was never given any religious instruction never got confronted by religious people, then he or she would never start thinking of themself as an "atheist," would they? What was it you heard first, and how credible do you think the people who told you that were?

------------------------------------

Sexo Grammaticus is Lord High Editor of The 1585

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  yeah, Sexo

yeah, Sexo Grammaticus ,  a jesus/buddha ! Atheist wisdom is the holy ....

Fuck doubt, we are god ....

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sexo Grammaticus wrote: As

Sexo Grammaticus wrote:
As much as I'd like to change gears and just start arguing with the guy who said he hated Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, I'll continue on with the main subject here. 1. As a few people have already tried to point out, those of us who say they "hate" the Jehovah of the Old Testament are referring to someone they believe to be a fictional character. Edison, you opened by saying that you also believe that no particular religion's scripture is literally true, so this distinction should be clear to you. I think everyone on here would sign off on the statement "If it turned out that there was a God, it would certainly be nothing like the God of the Old Testament, so what I say about that character has no bearing on what I would think of the God who turned out to exist." 2. You say it's hard to figure out what God wants you to do. I can see how that would be hard, but here's what I can offer: If you believe that God is all-wise and good, then you can figure out what it wants you to do by using logic, reason, and science to the best of your ability, the same as you would if you didn't believe in God. If you don't believe that God is all-wise and good, then why should you care what it wants you to do, since not believing this is the same as admitting that God could be wrong? 3. Since you have described yourself as basically an agnostic deist, I'm confused as to why you are concerned with reconciling yourself to Christianity and the Christian Bible. You seem hesitant to close yourself off from different ways of looking at things (which is admirable), so why assume that if there is a God, it must be the Christian one, and leave out Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.? It's not like your only two options are strict atheism and literalist Christianity. 4. In case you care, I was raised with no religion, and am an atheist because no-one ever gave me a good reason why I should stop being one. Since a lot of people on here are ex-theists, maybe hearing it framed this way will put a new spin on things for you. I never even really thought of myself as an "atheist" growing up--I was just a person, and only realized I was an "atheist" when it became apparent that there were people who did believe in God and got in my face about it all the time. If someone who was never given any religious instruction never got confronted by religious people, then he or she would never start thinking of themself as an "atheist," would they? What was it you heard first, and how credible do you think the people who told you that were?

Perhaps I should look to myself for the answers to life.  It usually seems to work when I do.

I was raised as a Christian, and I have been homeschooled all my life.  While I consider it unfortunate that I was raised as a Christian, I am very glad that I was homeschooled (read - not brainwashed!), seeing as how bad the public school system is doing.  I have moved away from that as a result of personal experience, but am seeking answers to it.

I don't like to assume that Christianity is the way, but it seems to hold more truth in it than other religions do.  If I find that it is too hard to reconcile my mind with the evident problems (such as the existence of evil), I will move on.

If you have no belief about God, then you are indeed an atheist, for as the atheists around here like to say, atheism is a disbelief in God, (i.e. no opinion, similar to my position on whether the president of China can cook a good omlet).

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: I was

Edison Trent wrote:
I was raised as a Christian, and I have been homeschooled all my life.

This is the problem. You are trying to find reason through means of your upbringing, grasping at straws the entire way. Your 'fall from grace' will be harder the longer you grasp at straws.

Here are some mental gymnastics for you, answer each question in order without examing them before hand. None of this has anything to do with scripture.

Is God a personal God? Does he answer prayer? If the answer is yes, then answer the following.

Does he love everything?

What has he done for you?

What has he done for others you know?

What about the 10,000,000 people who die from starvation a year (give or take a few million)?

If the answer was no to the first question, if God does not interact with us then how can you claim that the Bible was written/inspired by God?

How was Jesus the 'son of God' (or whatever you want to call him) if God does not interact with man?

How can any of the stories in the Bible be true if God does not interact with man?

If your answer to these questions was something along the lines of "God no longer interacts with us" then why is he worth worshipping? If he doesn't interact with us anymore then, surely, he's a bit of a git.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent

Edison Trent wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Perhaps I should denote the distinction that I am a strong Atheist in the sense that I know god doesn't exist as well as I know Thor does not exist.

So you know everything then. You can see the entire universe, and know that God isn't hiding somewhere or in some other dimension. Right....

Pile wrote:

This is that same kind of "two-dimensional thinking" that prompts theists to claim that "atheists hate god".

Thomathy wrote:

Don't you think it's a bit stupid to suggest to another Atheist that he hates god?

I think you two just lost out...see the following quotes.

Gauche wrote:

So in the unlikely event that this occurs ill be telling your god to suck the shit out of my asshole and hope he dont choke on it.

Big Willem wrote:

But for arguments sake, lets say it would convince me. Then I would be fucked. If the god of the bible was real, I would still not like or love him.

DrTerwilliker wrote:

I would probably end up believing, but I'd still think God was a total sadist and completely off his gord, so I hope I'd have the courage to rebel against him.

Teknison wrote:

If we accepted the bible to be 100% truth, I would surely hate god.

Well, well, well. Atheists don't hate God do they? (Quotes taken from this thread)

It never ceases to amaze me how many times theists use that fallacy, "Since you havent been in every nook and crany of the universe, you dont know that a god doesnt exist"

Right, and by that logic Thor must exist because you havent been everywhere in the universe. How do know my purple snarfwidget doesnt exist, after all, you havent been everywhere in the universe.

Why is it theist insist on mistaking a speculative sentance for hate. We cannot hate fiction, we do hate the fact that people buy such fiction as fact. Just like you would recoil if a 60 year old man litterally believed that the tooth fairy was real.

NOW, get this through your head:

"IF" for arguments sake ONLY..........One were to believe that such a being existed we would hate it. Why? Because of the "omni" atributes of being "all loving" and "all powerfull" compaired to the reality of the brutality of humanity combind with the brutality of nature. What kind of parent would put their kid diliberatly in such an invironment and then blame the child for something it created?

The point in asking these hard questions is to demonstrate the absurdity of the logic. If you are asking us to assume your position(which we dont) we're simply saying "If".

I hate your god like I hate Bigfoot and Loc Ness Monster and Ouiji Boards. I do hate the fact that people buy these things as fact when they are nothing but useless fiction people like believing.

Certainly we hate individuals and we do hate the global tribalism that theism causes in dividing humanity. But we do not hate all religious people. Get it out of your head that we hate your God. We cannot hate fiction, but IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF assuming your position for argument's sake ONLY....IF IF IF IF, we would still hate this being because of it's arbitrary incompetance when it has the power to "clue us in" and be consistant on protecting us.

Nature explains life tons better than myth. Bad things happen, not because we want bad things to happen, but because they do. If we want to minimize the harm of bad events such as crime, desease, famine, war and disaster, prayer is about as usefull as crossing your fingers or praying to Thor and as usefull as a rabbit's foot, it is a useless placebo at best.

We get angry because people are stuck in superstition when they could actually take their heads out of their asses and stop depending on a fictional nipple in the sky. We think humanity can do better than that and is squandering it on inmature tribalism. We think humanity can do better by studying NOT PRAYING.

Our anger is justified but that doesnt mean we hate YOU personally and it doesnt mean we hate all religious people. It just means we think you got it wrong and we're being blunt about the claims you make.

For the same reason you reject Scientology and Hinduism, we reject your theism as well. If you dont believe that David Copperfield can litterally saw a woman in half, what makes you think that "POOF" the entire earth's trillions of goolgles of atoms magically in a nannosecond, formed the earth? All you have is "God did it". That is a claim, not an answer, and a pathetic claim to boot.

If you believe that you might as well believe that Harry Potter can really fly around on a broomstick. 

Get over yourself, we dont know you personally, you could be the nicest person. But on the issue of deities, you are dead wrong and we are not going to sugar coat it. I would hope you are mature enough to seperate YOU the person from the claims you make, they are two different issues.

So for the last time, WE CANT HATE FICTION, but if we were to buy that position our ansewer would be YES, we would not worship such a inept tyrant IF IF IF IF, one were to assume your claim.

Since we dont buy that they only thing we actually hate in reality is the use of logic the theist uses to justify clinging to such absurdities, both scientifically and moraly.

You'd be justified in hating the claim if someone litterally believed it as fact, "I can fart a Lamborginni out of my butt". What if someone litterally believed that? 

If someone is trying to tell you you have a booger on your nose, do you shout, "YOU HATE ME"

Or do you look in the mirror?

Having a booger(using bad logic) on your nose, does not make you a bad person, we are just trying to get you to think about the claims you make. We treat all theistic claims the same, and yours is no more special than any other.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: If

LosingStreak06 wrote:
If the Qur'an is true, the same thing applies. If Buddhism is true, then it follows that there should be suffering in the world...

I think you see where I'm going with this.

The Qur'an cannot be true.  It says that the Bible is the Word of God, and that Jesus is not God's son (that Allah/God has no son).  The Bible says Jesus is God's son.

So either the Qur'an is false, or Allah is not the true God (or both). 

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Right, and

Brian37 wrote:
Right, and by that logic Thor must exist because you havent been everywhere in the universe. How do know my purple snarfwidget doesnt exist, after all, you havent been everywhere in the universe.

The Bible says God is the only true God.  So Thor, as a real god kind of Thor, cannot exist if God exists.  Same for any eternal Buddha, whatever Scientology teaches, Hindu gods, etc.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pile wrote: Edison Trent

Pile wrote:
Edison Trent wrote:

Pile wrote:

What belief? The only thing I believe is that I'm thoroughly sick of people calling atheism a "belief".

Here, let's give you a summary of the two types of people to help you out.

A. Those who believe there is a god (or gods)

B. Those who believe there is no god

I'm guessing you are B. You can believe something without knowing it 100%, you don't have to worry about me using the "there are no atheists" fallacy.

I understand you theists are not as familiar with science and logic, and for some reason you seem to think in BLACK & WHITE, but that's not the way reality works.... Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean GODIDIT! And there aren't only two types of "believers". That's BS.

A = Theist

B = Strong Atheist

Most here are C (weak agnostic atheists)

Now ask how many here are "strong atheists" and you'll find that almost nobody is.

You are confusing generic atheism with a very specific, narrow, atypical type of atheism, which is almost as presumptuous as theism.

There is a distinction.

I'm going to say this again... open your brain and recognize this:

ATHEISM IS A LACK OF BELIEF

It is NOT A BELIEF.

And the "There are no atheists" fallacy is tired, boring, and not relevant.

The first thing you need to realize is that things aren't BLACK/WHITE. There are shades of grey everywhere. You are not equipped to debate with 99% of the people here until you realize that. And when you suggest all stances on supernatural issues can fit neatly into one of two distinct boxes, you are still thinking in one dimension, in black and white. You're not in the real world. You're not thinking in real-world terms yet.

There is another option that atheists dont think about. You can be a "strong atheist" as far as claims of say....Thor and Isis. I am "strong" on all current and past claims of deities. But I am a weak(agnostic) atheist on whatever the future might bring as far as evidence.

I even lean toward strong on future possibilities based on the fact that their is no working, definable and falsifiable "deity" so far. I would say that that does not boad well for the future of deity claims, even if I cant 100% approach zero probibility of such.

I think it is a safe bet to scrap the whole idea of "gods" and "deities" and "supernatural". If you can throw out the idea of Thor I dont think throwing out the idea of the Chritian god would be a stretch anymore than it is for Christians to throw out claims of Allah. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent

Edison Trent wrote:

Quote:

And let me ask you this: Why do you think God wants you to do something special, yet he apparently doesn't want someone who dies as a result of violence in Darfur to do something special? What is the more reasonable explanation? That there's a God, or that you were just lucky enough to be born into a developed society that allows you the luxury of thinking about such things?

Perhaps he wants them in heaven, perhaps it's their time to go home. After giving it some thought, I really don't know, my mere mortal mind cannot understand it.

So why are you pontificating about things you JUST ADMITED you know nothing about? Sounds to me you simply like what you believe so you make up shit to justify it.

And once again, what you fail to see is that you use the same reason that we do to reject the claims of other religions. YOU would rightfully reject a Muslim's claim that Allah picks the sex of the baby that comes from a clot of blood. You would rightfully say that it is a naked assertion without merit and absurd since we know that the XY cromisomes do that and a baby comes from a sperm and egg, not a clot of blood.

If you can accept that the writers made up the claim that Allah picked the sex of the baby and come from a clot of blood, then it should be obvious to you why we are rejecting this claim here as well. Just as you would rightfully reject claims of multiple armed deities out of the Hindu religion.

Could it be, just like Muslims and Hindus, you merely like the idea of a super hero in the sky? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: Brian37

nedbrek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

The Bible says God is the only true God. So Thor, as a real god kind of Thor, cannot exist if God exists. Same for any eternal Buddha, whatever Scientology teaches, Hindu gods, etc.

Try to follow the pattern here and you will see you sound like Charly Brown's teacher......Whaaah whaah whaaah whaaah....

1. The Bible says the Bible is true, so the Christian god is the one true god because the Bible says so.

2. The Quran says that the Quran is true, so the Islamic god is the one true god because the Quran says so.

3. The OT says that the OT is true so the  Hebrew god is the one true god because the OT says so.

Now.....Listen to Charly Brown's Teacher.

WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH JESUS

WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH ALLAH

WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH YAHWEY

WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH WHAAH VISHNU 

It's self serving cercular reasoning. You do it, they do it and it is all white noise simbolizing nothing.

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: 2. The

Brian37 wrote:

2. The Quran says that the Quran is true, so the Islamic god is the one true god because the Quran says so.

The Quran also says the Bible is true, but goes on to say that either the Quran is false (because it contradicts the Bible) or Allah is not the real God (because it says God has no son, while the Bible says it is Jesus).

Are there evangelistic Hindus?  (A slight variation on my earlier question)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

nedbrek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

The Quran also says the Bible is true, but goes on to say that either the Quran is false (because it contradicts the Bible) or Allah is not the real God (because it says God has no son, while the Bible says it is Jesus).

Are there evangelistic Hindus? (A slight variation on my earlier question)

I have to give you Kudos I've never heard that bullshit before. 

Please sell me what you are smoking, must be some good shit. 

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I have to

Brian37 wrote:

Sura 32:23 attests to the veracity of the Old Testament.

Sura 19:88-89 says that the notion of God having a son is an abominable assertion.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: If you

Edison Trent wrote:

If you have no belief about God, then you are indeed an atheist, for as the atheists around here like to say, atheism is a disbelief in God, (i.e. no opinion, similar to my position on whether the president of China can cook a good omlet).

This is not quite right. You are describing a position of agnosticism, literally, "without knowledge." Atheism means "without belief."

Atheism, as Sam Harris eloquently pointed out at the AAI convention, is really only relevant in juxtaposition to people who do hold strong beliefs. If everyone behaved rationally and simply pointed to their agnosticism when it comes to the Chinese premier's cooking, no one would feel motivated to talk about whether or not people hold certain beliefs about it, since holding a belief without knowledge is clearly moronic. However, we live in a world where billions of people hold very strong beliefs on no knowledge whatsoever. They are called theists. So it becomes necessary for people who choose to remain rational to also emphasize that they lack belief. Thus the term atheist.

So atheism really isn't the same as "no opinion." Atheists are putting forward a very strong opinion - that there should be no conclusions drawn until some facts present themselves. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

nedbrek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Sura 32:23 attests to the veracity of the Old Testament.

Sura 19:88-89 says that the notion of God having a son is an abominable assertion.

Again, says you.

First, if I baught this like of bullshit, it would boulster Jews, not Christians. "OT"

Your second quote also shows that you arlready presume that the God of Jesus exists, so OF COURSE it would prop up your presuposition. AGAIN, SELF SERVING AND CIRCULAR.

"The bible says Jeusus is the divine son of God. The Koran says he isnt" How convienant for Christians.

And once again,"The bible says" SELF SERVING AND CIRCULAR! 

Both the Christians and Muslim books stem from the OT, so if we are going to give credit to the original then you should be Jewish. The Jews came before Christians.

You are merely being arbitrary about what you have already built up in your brain as true. Go try to convince a Muslim or Jew of the exact same bullshit you are trying to sell me here. Maybe then you will see the absurdity of it. 

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Testament follows

The New Testament follows from the Old.  The Old promises a savior.  If Jesus was not the savior, there is none.  Daniel sets the start of the timeframe (~30 CE), and the records of lineage (son of David prophecy) were destroyed in 70 CE.  There were many messianic claims in this timeframe, but only belief in Jesus has survived.

The Quran cannot claim the support of the OT without attesting to the NT.  It tries to pick and choose pieces, but that doesn't work.

All I'm saying is that the Quaran is not consistant.  That is independent of any truth claim of Christianity. 

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

nedbrek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

So any book which makes contradictory statements cannot be completely true, so presumably cannot be the 'Word of God". Similarly, if there are any contradictions in the Bible, which many people have pointed to, it also cannot be the "Word of God".

Of course there will be differences in what the various 'Holy Books' claim, so that they cannot all be completely true, and there is no evidence that any of them are true, even if some statements in them may be true.

Quote:
Are there evangelistic Hindus? (A slight variation on my earlier question)

And what would be the point of that question? Different religions, and countless sects within each religion, do vary in the degree to which they encourage things like evangelism, but most widespread religions will have some exhortation to their followers to 'spread the word', because that is typically how they spread.

In fact, a religion which is successful and does not have a strong evangelical element must have something else going for it, so that may be a point in its favour.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: The New

nedbrek wrote:

The New Testament follows from the Old. The Old promises a savior. If Jesus was not the savior, there is none. Daniel sets the start of the timeframe (~30 CE), and the records of lineage (son of David prophecy) were destroyed in 70 CE. There were many messianic claims in this timeframe, but only belief in Jesus has survived.

The Quran cannot claim the support of the OT without attesting to the NT. It tries to pick and choose pieces, but that doesn't work.

All I'm saying is that the Quaran is not consistant. That is independent of any truth claim of Christianity.

Neither is the Bible consistent.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent

Edison Trent wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

Perhaps I should denote the distinction that I am a strong Atheist in the sense that I know god doesn't exist as well as I know Thor does not exist.

So you know everything then. You can see the entire universe, and know that God isn't hiding somewhere or in some other dimension. Right....

A 'God' who so hid himself so thoroughly would seem to be completely inconsistent with the God of virtually any religion - isn't He supposed to be manifest everywhere we look? If he is busy answering prayers and watching over us, then we shouldn't have to look beyond earth to find evidence.

IOW, if it is impossible to find some evidence for a God interacting with the world we inhabit here, then his existence in some far corner of the Universe or another dimension is irrelevant to us.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote:

nedbrek wrote:

The New Testament follows from the Old. The Old promises a savior. If Jesus was not the savior, there is none. Daniel sets the start of the timeframe (~30 CE), and the records of lineage (son of David prophecy) were destroyed in 70 CE. There were many messianic claims in this timeframe, but only belief in Jesus has survived.

The Quran cannot claim the support of the OT without attesting to the NT. It tries to pick and choose pieces, but that doesn't work.

All I'm saying is that the Quaran is not consistant. That is independent of any truth claim of Christianity.

Quote:
If Jesus was not the savior, there is none.

How self serving egotistical. The Jews think their "savior hasnt come at all yet" What makes them wrong and you right?

I think both of you are wrong. There never was a Superman in the sky promising Jews or Christians or Muslims anything. It is nothing but tribalistic writings by people who wanted a fictional hero to save the "Chosen people"

Jews do it, you do it, and so do Muslims "Imam".

Both Jews and Muslims think that their man in the cape has yet to swoop down and save them. You claim your Superman already has and will again. I say you are all full of shit.

Did it ever occure to you that all these religions are merely a rehash of older mixes of polythiesm? Could it be that the Hebrews stole their ideas and motifs from a variety of older cultures which got morphed into Christianity and Islam?

No, you'd have me litterally believe that POOF! Googles of atoms in a nanosecond formed the earth, "Because the bible says so". Because, "God did it".

Again, no different to me than a Jew claiming the same thing. No ifferent than a Muslim claiming the same thing. None of you want to face the fact that all of it is made up fiction.

Now I''ll repeat the pattern again for the ADD aflicted.

"God did it"

"Yahwey did it"

"Allah did it"

SO WHAT? Claims are not facts, they are just claims and certainly dont prop up hocus pokus, not yours nor their hocus pokus.

nedbrek
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: How self

Brian37 wrote:

How self serving egotistical. The Jews think their "savior hasnt come at all yet" What makes them wrong and you right?

The messiah must fulfill many prophecies. One of those is being a descendent of David. Without the genealogical records, that cannot be proven. I'm not trying to be mean.

Brian37 wrote:
I think both of you are wrong.

It doesn't matter what we think. Only what is true will matter.

Brian37 wrote:
Did it ever occure to you that all these religions are merely a rehash of older mixes of polythiesm? Could it be that the Hebrews stole their ideas and motifs from a variety of older cultures which got morphed into Christianity and Islam?

Sure. And it could be these other traditions are corruptions of the truth. Or God used and filtered the correct aspect of these ideas into the Bible as accurate descriptions of Himself. If we are speculating, we can speculate anything...

Brian37 wrote:
No, you'd have me litterally believe that POOF! Googles of atoms in a nanosecond formed the earth, "Because the bible says so". Because, "God did it".

Do you believe that more than 90% of the universe is made up of something we have no experience of? That an electron has only a speed or a position (not both) at the same time? These are modern scientific ideas. We accept them because they seem right according to what we know.

Brian37 wrote:
Again, no different to me than a Jew claiming the same thing. No ifferent than a Muslim claiming the same thing. None of you want to face the fact that all of it is made up fiction.

I wasn't claiming the truth of Christianity. I was giving rational reasons that Islam is false, and that Jews need Christ.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
nedbrek wrote: The New

nedbrek wrote:

The New Testament follows from the Old.

They were edited to agree with each other. Serious theologians everywhere agree on this. And they still contradict each other on several points.

nedbrek wrote:

The Old promises a savior.

There will be a saviour called Oogabooga.

Oogabooga has arrived and saved the souls of all people.

See what I did? I just made a prophecy and fulfilled it! Wow! All hail Oogabooga and his prophet Tilberian! 

nedbrek wrote:

If Jesus was not the savior, there is none.

Why not?

nedbrek wrote:

Daniel sets the start of the timeframe (~30 CE), and the records of lineage (son of David prophecy) were destroyed in 70 CE.

Why have you included this total non sequiter? Basically you have just informed us that we don't know anything about the lineage of David. So?

nedbrek wrote:

There were many messianic claims in this timeframe, but only belief in Jesus has survived.

But Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and many other religions are older and have also survived. Does that make them more credible?

nedbrek wrote:

You mean people aren't allowed to pick and choose which bits of their holy books to believe? Am I to assume that you would then kill your son in cold blood if he disobeyed you, as commanded in Leviticus?

nedbrek wrote:

As others have pointed out, the Bible is hugely inconsistent. You'll have to do a lot better than that to claim Islam is any less valid than Christianity. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

nedbrek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

The messiah must fulfill many prophecies. One of those is being a descendent of David. Without the genealogical records, that cannot be proven. I'm not trying to be mean.

Brian37 wrote:
I think both of you are wrong.

It doesn't matter what we think. Only what is true will matter.

Brian37 wrote:

Sure. And it could be these other traditions are corruptions of the truth. Or God used and filtered the correct aspect of these ideas into the Bible as accurate descriptions of Himself. If we are speculating, we can speculate anything...

Brian37 wrote:

Do you believe that more than 90% of the universe is made up of something we have no experience of? That an electron has only a speed or a position (not both) at the same time? These are modern scientific ideas. We accept them because they seem right according to what we know.

Brian37 wrote:

I wasn't claiming the truth of Christianity. I was giving rational reasons that Islam is false, and that Jews need Christ.

Now you are flat out lying. Why would you claim that Jews need Jesus if YOU didnt believe that Christianity was the one true religion? 

Once again, you claim Jews need Jesus because you quote the bible CIRCULAR REASONING!

"The bible says" blah blah blah.....so what.

You dont see that a dead man on a stick is just as silly as a man in a Leotard with an "S" on his chest flying around NY City. Sorry, cant help you out of that delusion if you dont want help. 

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: This is

Tilberian wrote:

This is not quite right. You are describing a position of agnosticism, literally, "without knowledge." Atheism means "without belief."

Atheism, as Sam Harris eloquently pointed out at the AAI convention, is really only relevant in juxtaposition to people who do hold strong beliefs. If everyone behaved rationally and simply pointed to their agnosticism when it comes to the Chinese premier's cooking, no one would feel motivated to talk about whether or not people hold certain beliefs about it, since holding a belief without knowledge is clearly moronic. However, we live in a world where billions of people hold very strong beliefs on no knowledge whatsoever. They are called theists. So it becomes necessary for people who choose to remain rational to also emphasize that they lack belief. Thus the term atheist.

So atheism really isn't the same as "no opinion." Atheists are putting forward a very strong opinion - that there should be no conclusions drawn until some facts present themselves.

I'm not talking about "opinion."  I'm talking about belief.  I have no belief about how well the president of China can cook an omlet.  You apparently have no belief about God.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: I'm

Edison Trent wrote:

I'm not talking about "opinion." I'm talking about belief. I have no belief about how well the president of China can cook an omlet. You apparently have no belief about God.

I suppose this is technically true, but I'm sure you'll agree that there are a great number of things about which we have no belief because we simply haven't bothered to consider the question because it is irrelevant. If it mattered to me in the slightest whether the Chinese premier can cook an omlette, I'm sure I'd make some effort to find out. God beliefs, on the other hand, are around us all the time, permeating nearly every aspect of society. Atheists (in general) don't lack belief in god because it seems irrelevant and they haven't really thought it through or bothered to inquire. They have (usually) actually looked at the question and decided that there are not sufficient grounds to hold a rational belief.

I think this makes a pretty big difference in the kind of nonbelief we are talking about. The Chinese omlette kind is based on ignorance, negligence and disinterest. The atheist kind is based on a principled holding to the tenets of reason in the face of constant pressure to believe.

To add a new wrinkle, I'm another kind of atheist, called a strong atheist, whose unbelief is definitely not of the Chinese omlette kind. I actually hold a positive belief that there is no god. I feel I know this, to the extent that it is possible to know anything. I am as certain of this fact as I am of any other fact that I know through non-empirical means. I would bet my life (actually, I've already bet my eternal soul, right?) on the proposition that there is no god.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: To add a

Tilberian wrote:

To add a new wrinkle, I'm another kind of atheist, called a strong atheist, whose unbelief is definitely not of the Chinese omlette kind. I actually hold a positive belief that there is no god. I feel I know this, to the extent that it is possible to know anything. I am as certain of this fact as I am of any other fact that I know through non-empirical means. I would bet my life (actually, I've already bet my eternal soul, right?) on the proposition that there is no god.

I see what you're saying about strong atheists and weak atheists.  I am rather confused though.  Why don't weak atheists just say they don't believe in a God?  Obviously they can't prove it, but you don't have to have proved something in order to believe it.  Thus is the theists position.  You can't prove or disprove a God, but you can believe either one without being fatally flawed.  Here's how I see beliefs should be broken down...

1. Theist - you believe there is a God

2. Weak Atheist - you believe there isn't a God

3. Strong atheist - you know there isn't a God

What is it about this atheists don't get? 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: I see

Edison Trent wrote:

I see what you're saying about strong atheists and weak atheists. I am rather confused though. Why don't weak atheists just say they don't believe in a God? Obviously they can't prove it, but you don't have to have proved something in order to believe it. Thus is the theists position. You can't prove or disprove a God, but you can believe either one without being fatally flawed. Here's how I see beliefs should be broken down...

1. Theist - you believe there is a God

2. Weak Atheist - you believe there isn't a God

3. Strong atheist - you know there isn't a God

What is it about this atheists don't get?

Weak atheists do feel you have to have proved something in order to believe in it. They feel that their senses are revealing Reality and their reason is revealing Truth. Therefore the theist's argument that you must admit the possibility of god because you cannot know everything is persuasive to them. So they treat the question of god as an open question. However, they can still point to the fact that no evidence for god has ever been produced and rightly note that believing in things for which there is no evidence violates parsimony and exposes the believer to accusations of inconsistency. After all, do believers believe in all the other things for which there is no evidence? Of course not.

As a strong atheist, I feel that the question is closed and that people who insist it is open are doing violence to the proper use of the word "know." There is a limit to what information we have and can process, this is obvious and provable in a million ways. Therefore, there is no such thing as "knowing" in the sense in which it is normally used, ie being in possession of the Truth. We don't even know if there is such a thing as Truth; personally, I think it's an urban myth. Knowledge is really a probability threshold. If it is sufficiently probable that a particular proposition will not fail, we hold it as true, and say we know the facts springing from that proposition. This is how people actually arrive at "knowledge," and it is quite sufficiently rigorous for our use in all aspects of life - except religion. For some reason, when it comes to god, we are always referred back to that son-of-sasquatch known as the Truth. We aren't allowed to say we know god isn't there unless we can somehow transcend the veils of perception that cover us all and come up with a proof that is better than proof. Well, I say bullshit. I'm taking back the word know and insisting that people apply it the same way to god as they apply it to everything else in their lives. They know damn well that there aren't unicorns and fairies, and they know there isn't a god, too. I know there isn't a god the same way I know the sun will come up tomorrow. Do I Really Know that? Of course not. But, then again, I really do. I know it firmly enough that I would never consider any course of action that would assume that the sun wasn't coming up. I would bet my life on the proposition.

That's the difference between weak and strong atheists. We have different standards of truth.  

- Dr. Joy Brown

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: Weak

Tilberian wrote:

Weak atheists do feel you have to have proved something in order to believe in it. They feel that their senses are revealing Reality and their reason is revealing Truth. Therefore the theist's argument that you must admit the possibility of god because you cannot know everything is persuasive to them. So they treat the question of god as an open question. However, they can still point to the fact that no evidence for god has ever been produced and rightly note that believing in things for which there is no evidence violates parsimony and exposes the believer to accusations of inconsistency. After all, do believers believe in all the other things for which there is no evidence? Of course not.

As a strong atheist, I feel that the question is closed and that people who insist it is open are doing violence to the proper use of the word "know." There is a limit to what information we have and can process, this is obvious and provable in a million ways. Therefore, there is no such thing as "knowing" in the sense in which it is normally used, ie being in possession of the Truth. We don't even know if there is such a thing as Truth; personally, I think it's an urban myth. Knowledge is really a probability threshold. If it is sufficiently probable that a particular proposition will not fail, we hold it as true, and say we know the facts springing from that proposition. This is how people actually arrive at "knowledge," and it is quite sufficiently rigorous for our use in all aspects of life - except religion. For some reason, when it comes to god, we are always referred back to that son-of-sasquatch known as the Truth. We aren't allowed to say we know god isn't there unless we can somehow transcend the veils of perception that cover us all and come up with a proof that is better than proof. Well, I say bullshit. I'm taking back the word know and insisting that people apply it the same way to god as they apply it to everything else in their lives. They know damn well that there aren't unicorns and fairies, and they know there isn't a god, too. I know there isn't a god the same way I know the sun will come up tomorrow. Do I Really Know that? Of course not. But, then again, I really do. I know it firmly enough that I would never consider any course of action that would assume that the sun wasn't coming up. I would bet my life on the proposition.

That's the difference between weak and strong atheists. We have different standards of truth.

Cool.  I get it now, thanks for the explanation.