The repugnant claim of "End Times"

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The repugnant claim of "End Times"

To the fans of this fiction you really make me as sick as any Muslim zealot, be you Christian or otherwise.

How the hell you can justify that moraly repugnant story is frightening and sickening.

Here is what you are justifying. There are 6,000,000,000 6 BILLION people on this planet. According to the immoral "Left Behind" pricks the genocide, and then eternal torture thereafter of all non true believers is required for a select few to get past the velvet ropes.

You've got to be kidding me. Keep in mind I see this as a sick fairy tale and dont buy one bit of it.

You are trying to get me to suck up to a god who needs a bloody Jerry Springer bloodbath so that a select few can kiss his ass in an afterlife? So all those outside your lable,the majority of human population will be victims of mass genocide only to have their souls tortured forever because god wants you to kiss his ass?

You call all this bloody drama moral? You think genocide and torture is moral? Have you read what happens to those outside your club in your holy book?

How any person can justify such barbaric fiction is intelectually dishonest and morally repugnant. And if, for argument's sake only(mind you I dont buy one bit of this sick crap) if such a being did exist it would not have my praise.

You worship a petty tyrant who throws a fit when people dont kiss his ass. Allah/God are not compassionat characters as discribed in the respective final days as written in each book.

Rational people dont seek to threaten people into loving them or threaten them with torture if they dont follow them. But according to "end times" that is exactly what will happen to most of the 6 billion people of this planet, if one were to assume the theist position.

You worship a genocidal inmature jelouse petty dictator. Once you see that it is only fiction then you'll realize that we are not your enemy and no human would have to be your enemy if it were not for your belief in this repugnant superstition.

I defy any Christian or Muslim especially to justify such bloodshed and violence for such a repugnant character.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
They believe in it Brian

They believe in it Brian because it makes them feel like they are more important than they are.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Groups of theists have

Groups of theists have searched the scriptures for signs of the End Time and the Second Coming.  I don't think they do it because it makes them feel like they are more important than they are. I belive they are actually searching for truth not recognition. Although I don't agree with there findings I believe with any true quest for knowledge you will always have researchers who miss the mark (or in this case the Paul, referencing the First Letter of Saint Paul to the Thessalonians - just a little theist humor ).  These End Times believers make up only a subset of the evangelicals in the United States.  I will be suprised if you get alot of responces because the  majority of Christians see the rapture not as an event whereby the faithful are removed from the world before a time of suffering. 

I tend to just ignore anyone who claims Rapture knowledge pertaining to how or when.I preferred to listen to the subsets that believe God to be an alien. It is much more entertaining.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Groups of

Mjolnin wrote:

Groups of theists have searched the scriptures for signs of the End Time and the Second Coming. I don't think they do it because it makes them feel like they are more important than they are. I belive they are actually searching for truth not recognition. Although I don't agree with there findings I believe with any true quest for knowledge you will always have researchers who miss the mark (or in this case the Paul, referencing the First Letter of Saint Paul to the Thessalonians - just a little theist humor ). These End Times believers make up only a subset of the evangelicals in the United States. I will be suprised if you get alot of responces because the majority of Christians see the rapture not as an event whereby the faithful are removed from the world before a time of suffering.

I tend to just ignore anyone who claims Rapture knowledge pertaining to how or when.I preferred to listen to the subsets that believe God to be an alien. It is much more entertaining.

Quote:
I belive they are actually searching for truth not recognition

What a horrible "truth" in any case if we are to assume that argument. It is repugnant to think that something so easly preventable by an all powerfull being will have to happen so a select few can hang out with him past the velvet ropes.

Have you read revelation? Or are you, like them going to cherry pick the bible, ignore the things that are ugly and cop out to metaphore by claiming "they missed the mark".

Funny how when you point out nasty stories in any holy book the believer(incert label here) always claims that the words dont say what they mean and the other guy got it wrong.

So, somehow you know the truth better than they do.

I dont believe in any god, much less your god. So, since they got it wrong and you got it right, do tell, what happens so someone who dies without believing in the Christian god? 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Mjolnin

Brian37 wrote:
Mjolnin wrote:

Quote:
I belive they are actually searching for truth not recognition

What a horrible "truth" in any case if we are to assume that argument. It is repugnant to think that something so easly preventable by an all powerfull being will have to happen so a select few can hang out with him past the velvet ropes.

Have you read revelation? Or are you, like them going to cherry pick the bible, ignore the things that are ugly and cop out to metaphore by claiming "they missed the mark".

Funny how when you point out nasty stories in any holy book the believer(incert label here) always claims that the words dont say what they mean and the other guy got it wrong.

So, somehow you know the truth better than they do.

I dont believe in any god, much less your god. So, since they got it wrong and you got it right, do tell, what happens so someone who dies without believing in the Christian god? 

Please remenber that the search is not horrible. The conclusion sometime is.

As far as I got it right and everyone else got it wrong.... I did not dodge a nasty story, I just commented that you point only goes out to a few among many.

What happens to someone who dies without believing in a Christian God? This question is loaded...do you really want to know what you don't believe? You have read alot into a responce and payed very little attention to what was actually written. 

We only find what we are looking for and there are as much nasty shit as good stuff. If all you are looking for is shit, then don't be surprised that is all you find, or are you just cherry picking the nasty stuff.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
What makes me sick is that

What makes me sick is that people are proftiting off of the ultimate in fearmongering.  The Authors you speak of are bad enough.  It doesn't get taken to the Nth degree until you start talking about people like John Hagee.  This guy has profited more than anyone off of this BS, and his books are supposedly non-fiction!  Not to even mention that he wants to help the end-time prophecies along, so we can get to the rapture sooner.  He doesn't even make an effort to hide that.  People like him need to be dealt with severely!

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be fair, life seems much

To be fair, life seems much more exciting when one focuses on the fact that it could end at any given moment.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: To be

LosingStreak06 wrote:
To be fair, life seems much more exciting when one focuses on the fact that it could end at any given moment.

I would say exactly the oposite of the view that christians hold about this life.  I know what I thought when I used to be one.  I knew I would get a second chance if I screwed up.  I thought about all the horrible things that happen in this world, and convinced myself that this life isn't the important one.  It doesn't teach that in the bible, but it was way too convenient escape mechanism for me to be alone in that way of thinking.  Now I am much better at focusing on good things in life.  I also know that this life is all I have, and that life can end at anytime, so I better make good on the time I have left.  As far as the  'end times' promoting that kind of thinking, I don't see that being a very common viewpoint.  And as far as calling the end times a fact, uh....no.  Looking up the word fact in the dictionary may be helpfull to you!

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think LosingStreak was

I think LosingStreak was talking about the fact that any one of us can have a heart attack or brain aneurysm and fall over dead at any moment. 

He's labeled a theist but he's not really a theist.  I would call him "Not really atheist or theist but kinda...weird".  He's like a wandering heretic with strange ideas that don't really fit in with any group.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote: I would say

TonyZXT wrote:

I would say exactly the oposite of the view that christians hold about this life. I know what I thought when I used to be one. I knew I would get a second chance if I screwed up. I thought about all the horrible things that happen in this world, and convinced myself that this life isn't the important one. It doesn't teach that in the bible, but it was way too convenient escape mechanism for me to be alone in that way of thinking.

This is a good point. However, I would present you with an anecdote about a video game that my friend foisted upon me, and forced me to play. It was a game in the "survival horror" genre. The concept of the game is to avoid dying (sort of like real life). However, unlike most standard video games, dying in this particular genre of games is ridiculously easy. When playing the game, one becomes invested in it, despite the fact that, if one dies in the game, not only does it have no effect on you life outside of the game, you can start the game over if you want. What makes the game exciting is the anticipation of your imminent doom. This particular game made use of poor fixed-camera angles to allow monsters and such to jump out of nowhere and scare the crap out of you. Without such an element, I imagine the game would have been much less entertaining than it was.

Quote:
I also know that this life is all I have, and that life can end at anytime, so I better make good on the time I have left.

Funny, as that is pretty much what I was trying to say, although for those who believe in an "afterlife" the initial clause wouldn't apply. But I already (hopefully) demonstrated why that doesn't matter.

Quote:
As far as the 'end times' promoting that kind of thinking, I don't see that being a very common viewpoint.

Perhaps you are playing the wrong games. 

Quote:
And as far as calling the end times a fact, uh....no. Looking up the word fact in the dictionary may be helpfull to you!

As far as that goes, you'll need to brush up on your reading comprehension before you go around telling people what they did or did not call a fact. 

Watcher wrote:

I think LosingStreak was talking about the fact that any one of us can have a heart attack or brain aneurysm and fall over dead at any moment.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a global catastrophe, as it follows more closely to the Armageddon-theme we have going on in this topic, but you got the gist of it. 

Quote:
He's labeled a theist but he's not really a theist.

I'm not really anything. "Theist" is what I choose to call myself.

Quote:
I would call him "Not really atheist or theist but kinda...weird".

I don't think they make badges for that. 

Quote:
He's like a wandering heretic with strange ideas that don't really fit in with any group.

Concise and accurate.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote: “Now I am

TonyZXT wrote: “Now I am much better at focusing on good things in life.  I also know that this life is all I have, and that life can end at anytime, so I better make good on the time I have left.”  

Oh my GOD I totally agree??? I always thought that was a Christian view??? if not it should be.

TonyZXT wrote: What makes me sick is that people are profiting off of the ultimate in fear mongering. 

Again I completely agree.In today’s society a Fear monger may also goes by the name of Marketing. Scaring people into making a sudden purchase with the threat of price hikes, Y2K… Buying anything you might need because something could happen.

My point is that Religion does not have a monopoly on fear mongering. If you do anything that prepares you for what might happen then you have effectively fallen prey to the Fear monger. I believe in being prepared be it Heaven, Hell or a snowstorm, where I draw the line is if becomes an obsession. The obsession is what cause one to loose focus on good things in life. Feeding on a obsession driven by fear makes me truly sick but what really hurt is that they profit so easily. 

Brian 37 asked me earlier “what happens so someone who dies without believing in the Christian god?”

Feeding on obsession driven by fear fits my answer to his question completely. You don’t go to Hell for being miss led. You go to Hell for miss leading. 

LosingStreak06 wrote:  To be fair, life seems much more exciting when one focuses on the fact that it could end at any given moment.

Alfred Hitchcock said, "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it,"

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:TonyZXT

Mjolnin wrote:

TonyZXT wrote: “Now I am much better at focusing on good things in life. I also know that this life is all I have, and that life can end at anytime, so I better make good on the time I have left.”

Oh my GOD I totally agree??? I always thought that was a Christian view??? if not it should be.

TonyZXT wrote: What makes me sick is that people are profiting off of the ultimate in fear mongering.

Again I completely agree.In today’s society a Fear monger may also goes by the name of Marketing. Scaring people into making a sudden purchase with the threat of price hikes, Y2K… Buying anything you might need because something could happen.

My point is that Religion does not have a monopoly on fear mongering. If you do anything that prepares you for what might happen then you have effectively fallen prey to the Fear monger. I believe in being prepared be it Heaven, Hell or a snowstorm, where I draw the line is if becomes an obsession. The obsession is what cause one to loose focus on good things in life. Feeding on a obsession driven by fear makes me truly sick but what really hurt is that they profit so easily.

Brian 37 asked me earlier “what happens so someone who dies without believing in the Christian god?”

Feeding on obsession driven by fear fits my answer to his question completely. You don’t go to Hell for being miss led. You go to Hell for miss leading.

LosingStreak06 wrote: To be fair, life seems much more exciting when one focuses on the fact that it could end at any given moment.

Alfred Hitchcock said, "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it,"

Quote:

Wow, I do have to give you kudos for a dodge I have never seen before.

Still doesnt adress my original post based on math. MOST people will not make it to heaven out the 6 billion people on this planet? Are you saying that most people misslead others? Most of the 6 billion inhabitants are evil?

If most people will will merely be misslead insted of missleading will God have most of the 6 billion people as friends? If so, what would God need with all those friends? I can count my friends on one hand.

You are diliberatly trying to avoid the nasty passages in Revelation by attempting to distract me with a "loophole" you have created in your mind so that you can willfilly ignore the nasty parts of the bible.

Now, once again, what will happen to me if I die without believing in Jesus? According to you.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  Wow, I do

Brian37 wrote:

Thanks, I would love to take credit for it but it isn't mine.

Brian37 wrote:

Still doesnt adress my original post based on math. MOST people will not make it to heaven out the 6 billion people on this planet? Are you saying that most people misslead others? Most of the 6 billion inhabitants are evil?

I can not defend your question because I do not follow the belief.The Rapture beliefs only date back to 1909, my beliefs date back a bit farther.But since you are hung-up on numbers, I will try to explain my beliefs.

The problem isn’t that God rejected them; the problem is that they have rejected God. Because we've missed the rapture, we are lost forever.That assumption is totally wrong! The only way you can find yourself eternally lost is by receiving the Mark of the Beast on your right hand or forehead.

Brian37 wrote:

If most people will will merely be misslead insted of missleading will God have most of the 6 billion people as friends? If so, what would God need with all those friends? I can count my friends on one hand.

I can't answer this qiestion. You will have to ask God why he wants so many friends.

Brian37 wrote:

You are diliberatly trying to avoid the nasty passages in Revelation by attempting to distract me with a "loophole" you have created in your mind so that you can willfilly ignore the nasty parts of the bible.

I admit that there are parts of the Bible that I find disturbing, this isn't one of them because it is not mine or a universal belief among Christians. Hopefully some of this is answered in my responses above.

Brian37 wrote:

Now, once again, what will happen to me if I die without believing in Jesus? According to you.

I can only answer in the objective sence, but here it goes...

“SIN” is what keeps a soul out of Heaven, sin in the objective sense, refers to the act itself not the state of a soul. The statement would, indeed, be false had I said that "Subjectively, it is a sin not to believe as I do," since that implies that one has committed a sin and I can judge the state of his soul.

There are  three conditions which must be met to constitute, subjectively, a sin that can keep you from Heaven:

1) the matter has to be serious and grave

2) there must be sufficient reflection

3) there must be full consent of the will

You can not be tricked into or accedently sin. So... if all the criteria is met then yes I believe you are toast. Misleading your self counts. But if the criteria isn't met then the answer is no, and hopefully I will see you in the after life, I just won't be as surprised.

Believing in God is a big part of the Christian faith but it does not guarantee you a trip heaven. The devil believes in God and he won’t make it. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: "You can not

Mjolnin wrote:

"You can not be tricked into or accidentally sin."

Wow, that just shoots the whole "Fall of Man" story in the foot. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Mjolnin

jcgadfly wrote:

Mjolnin wrote:

Read the story and apply the rules 1)     the matter itself is serious or grave;2)      there must be sufficient reflection; 3)      there must be full consent of the will.

Both new it was wrong before they did it.

Sorry but it still fits

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: jcgadfly

Mjolnin wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Mjolnin wrote:

Read the story and apply the rules 1) the matter itself is serious or grave;2) there must be sufficient reflection; 3) there must be full consent of the will.

Both new it was wrong before they did it.

Sorry but it still fits

So they knew good and evil before they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: So they

jcgadfly wrote:

So they knew good and evil before they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? 

1) the matter itself is serious or grave- They were specifically forbidden

2) there must be sufficient reflection - They both commented that it was forbidden and discussed it.

3) there must be full consent of the will - They ate it on thier own. It was not forced down thier throats.

They knew they were doing wrong.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Brian37

Mjolnin wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Thanks, I would love to take credit for it but it isn't mine.

Brian37 wrote:

I can not defend your question because I do not follow the belief.The Rapture beliefs only date back to 1909, my beliefs date back a bit farther.But since you are hung-up on numbers, I will try to explain my beliefs.

The problem isn’t that God rejected them; the problem is that they have rejected God. Because we've missed the rapture, we are lost forever.That assumption is totally wrong! The only way you can find yourself eternally lost is by receiving the Mark of the Beast on your right hand or forehead.

Brian37 wrote:

I can't answer this qiestion. You will have to ask God why he wants so many friends.

Brian37 wrote:

I admit that there are parts of the Bible that I find disturbing, this isn't one of them because it is not mine or a universal belief among Christians. Hopefully some of this is answered in my responses above.

Brian37 wrote:

I can only answer in the objective sence, but here it goes...

“SIN” is what keeps a soul out of Heaven, sin in the objective sense, refers to the act itself not the state of a soul. The statement would, indeed, be false had I said that "Subjectively, it is a sin not to believe as I do," since that implies that one has committed a sin and I can judge the state of his soul.

There are three conditions which must be met to constitute, subjectively, a sin that can keep you from Heaven:

You can not be tricked into or accedently sin. So... if all the criteria is met then yes I believe you are toast. Misleading your self counts. But if the criteria isn't met then the answer is no, and hopefully I will see you in the after life, I just won't be as surprised.

Believing in God is a big part of the Christian faith but it does not guarantee you a trip heaven. The devil believes in God and he won’t make it.

I have had sufficiant reflection and willfully reject any sky daddy claim. So according to you, because God gave you personally insight to his mind where all others got it wrong, this "sin" or transgrestion will lead to eternal torture?

Humn, funny how secular common law doesnt allow you to beat the shit out of your spouse if they chose to leave you. But I'll get an eternal ass kicking beyond emagination for simply saying, "I dont believe in you, and wouldnt want to follow you even if you were real."

Your daddy in the sky treats his children like abused spouses.

You do have a choice:

1. Love me and obey me

or

2. I will beat your ass forever

How is that a choice? Do explain. So if a robber came up to you and said:

"You have a choice. Give me your wallet and I'll let you live. Or, keep it and I'll blow your brains out".

You call that a choice? I call that emotional blackmale by a bully.

Love is freely given and if one does not chose to give someone else love that other person has no right to threaten them emotionally or physically if they chose to leave the relationship.

So why would I worship a fictional being who threatens me with hell if I chose not to follow him?

Quote:
There are  three conditions which must be met to constitute, subjectively, a sin that can keep you from Heaven:

The matter is serious and grave. Our planet has a serious problem with people who have voices in their heads telling them they are divinely intitled by a fictional being in the sky to tell others how to live their lives. 

2. I have seriously and sufficiently relfected on your work of fiction and that is why I call it such, fiction.

3. I am forced by reason and logic to reject such absurdities such as ghosts knocking up girls and zombie gods surviving rigor mortis after three days, just like I am forced by reason to reject Peter Pan and Thor making lighting, just like you reject claims of 72 virgins and multiple armed deities. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:     I

Brian37 wrote:

I have had sufficiant reflection and willfully reject any sky daddy claim. So according to you, because God gave you personally insight to his mind where all others got it wrong, this "sin" or transgrestion will lead to eternal torture?

You can reject the sky daddy, so according to me you are judged on your beliefs and not mine.

Are you purposely trying to miss the mark? Or do you just not want to listen?

Brian37 wrote:

Humn, funny how secular common law doesnt allow you to beat the shit out of your spouse if they chose to leave you. But I'll get an eternal ass kicking beyond emagination for simply saying, "I dont believe in you, and wouldnt want to follow you even if you were real."

Your daddy in the sky treats his children like abused spouses.

You do have a choice:

1. Love me and obey me

or

2. I will beat your ass forever

How is that a choice? Do explain. So if a robber came up to you and said:

"You have a choice. Give me your wallet and I'll let you live. Or, keep it and I'll blow your brains out".

You call that a choice? I call that emotional blackmale by a bully.

Love is freely given and if one does not chose to give someone else love that other person has no right to threaten them emotionally or physically if they chose to leave the relationship.

So why would I worship a fictional being who threatens me with hell if I chose not to follow him?

For someone who doesn’t believe, you sure are wound up about eternal damnation.

Funny just like secular law you can’t do everything you want. Yet you complain as though the sky daddy is the only limitation you have or the only thing that will punish you. Guess what…you break the law –you go to jail. You break it bad and you are punished for the rest of your existence while you are alive. Break it even worse and you life becomes forfeit.

Piss off sky daddy about anything and all you have to do is say I’m sorry and mean it. 

Ya your right, secular law is much easier on a person. (That is sarcasm) 

So if your father came up to you and said: love me and do good to our family and you will inherit more than you can imagine. By you logic you would say: Hell no! That’s no choice; I can do what I want because I have a true free will! I have stared looking for the “Give me your money or I will blow your brains out” passage in the Bible, just in case I have missed it. I do want to know. What is it that you think is expected that is so terrible?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Mjolnin wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

1) the matter itself is serious or grave- They were specifically forbidden

2) there must be sufficient reflection - They both commented that it was forbidden and discussed it.

3) there must be full consent of the will - They ate it on thier own. It was not forced down thier throats.

They knew they were doing wrong.

But not until after the fact - Your bible says as much.

They didn't have any concept of obedience v. disobedience, good v. evil or death.

The command and the threat meant nothing. It would be like me walking up to you and saying "snarfblatt zigglefritz nugwomp".

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: For someone who

Quote:
For someone who doesn’t believe, you sure are wound up about eternal damnation.

It is you that dont get it. I cannot get "wound up" over fiction anymore than I can get "wound up" over Lex Luthor.

But if some moron truely believed that Lex Luthor was a real entity and believed that legistlation based on "Superman" was the only way a citizen should live, you'd get wound up too.

Maybe if Christians would keep their fiction out of our laws, I wouldnt get wound up. Just like you'd be right if you said, "Maybe if Muslims wouldnt use government to indoctrinate their citizens, we wouldnt have so many fundy Muslim zealots.

I am wound up because our nation's leaders both left and right refuse to abide by the Constitution and the "establishment clause" want to base common law on a liberal Jesus or conservitive jesus and place all other non-Christians, not just atheists, but all outside their label at the back of the political bus and insist on public funding of their Christian religion, BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT.

There is a name for goverments who prop up religion, those goverments are called THEOCRACIES and something all the founders railed against.

If you want a goverment run on religion, go live in Iran. 

So when you make claims about your deity you better back it up. You dont have to deconvert and I would never presume to force you. But I am damned sure tired of the intelectual cowardice of theists who demand government favortism because they cant handle debate or competition.

It is NOT your fictional sky daddy I fear anymore than you fear Thor. I fear that those who claim to know what Jesus wants want to subject me to Christian law insted of Constitutional common law. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: But not

jcgadfly wrote:

They didn't have any concept of obedience v. disobedience, good v. evil or death.

The command and the threat meant nothing. It would be like me walking up to you and saying "snarfblatt zigglefritz nugwomp".

My son's pet lab knows it is in trouble if it jumps on the couch. The dog has no concept of good vs. evil and if she wakes up when I yell "snarfblatt zigglefritz nugwomp" if it is in a harsh tone her tail will go between her legs, do it with a smile and her tail will rag. Even our early ape ancestors were smarter than that.

God created Adam and Eve, not really dumb and even really dumber.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mjolnin wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

My son's pet lab knows it is in trouble if it jumps on the couch. The dog has no concept of good vs. evil and if she wakes up when I yell "snarfblatt zigglefritz nugwomp" if it is in a harsh tone her tail will go between her legs, do it with a smile and her tail will rag. Even our early ape ancestors were smarter than that.

God is a claim, not a fact, so Adam and Eve are claims as well and not fact. You like believing these stories but have absolutly no evidence for them exept a self serving circular work of fiction with outright absurdities backed up with the inaququate response "God did it".

So what? You want me to believe that POOF human flesh came magically from dirt? You want me to believe that magically without a sperm and an egg that a female POOF came from a man's rib? This is what you want me to buy as fact merely on the claim, "God did it".

Sorry, I like my fact with a little more meat on it and a foundation not rooted in myth backed up by naked assertions. Call me picky, but your evidence is flimsy and nothing but a wishfull utopia someone sold you.

You want me to buy a book that treats the sun and moon as seperate sources of light? You want me to believe a book that treats all the points of light in the sky as "stars"?You want me to buy a book that claims snakes POOF turn into wood. You are reading an ancient version of Harry Potter and dont even realize it. I feel sorry for you.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:My son's pet

Mjolnin wrote:

Before your dog or a human will submit to an authority figure it first must learn punishment.  If you buy a puppy and he starts jumping up on your couch and takes a crap on it, it won't give a bit of attention to you yelling, "No, no!" at it. 

You have to condition it.

Since Adam and Eve had never been corrected or punished for disobeying god they had no concept of what the consequences of their actions were.

They went from being immortal to mortal over their very first mistake.  That's a death sentence.

Ok, the next time I buy a puppy I'll wait until the first time it takes a piddle on the floor.  Then I'll blow it's brains out.

Imposing a death sentence for the first offense in any creature's life is rather idiotic wouldn't you agree?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Mjolnin

Watcher wrote:
Mjolnin wrote:

Before your dog or a human will submit to an authority figure it first must learn punishment. If you buy a puppy and he starts jumping up on your couch and takes a crap on it, it won't give a bit of attention to you yelling, "No, no!" at it.

You have to condition it.

Since Adam and Eve had never been corrected or punished for disobeying god they had no concept of what the consequences of their actions were.

They went from being immortal to mortal over their very first mistake. That's a death sentence.

Ok, the next time I buy a puppy I'll wait until the first time it takes a piddle on the floor. Then I'll blow it's brains out.

Imposing a death sentence for the first offense in any creature's life is rather idiotic wouldn't you agree?

Right and how could they know if they didnt know? And how inhumane is it to punish the ignorant by swatting a fly with a sledghammer.

This is the same as sticking someone in the electric chair for jaywalking. Not to mention supposidly according to that fairy tale humanity is paying for something Adam and Eve fucked up.

So nice of God to punish us for something he started blames his creation for something he could have prevented, but didnt. 

"It wasnt me even though I am the boss, it was my workers" Yep, that was the excuse of the Enron executives too.

Our point in all this blasphemy is to show you the absurdity in the logic of the claim, nothing more. So dont cry about us hating you when we dont even know you personaly. We simply dont buy the logic of that book, sceintifically or moraly. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Watcher wrote: Before

Watcher wrote:

Before your dog or a human will submit to an authority figure it first must learn punishment.

I cringe to think that the only way you think it is possible to learn is through punishment. I didn’t have to beat a puppy into submission before it would start to learn. The dog responds to love and caring not just to torture. For your sake I hope no one from the SPCA has seen your post.

Sooo.. from your beliefs the same two people who discussed the fact that they were not supposed to eat the fruit did not have the intelligence of a dog??? These same people knew the God of the story well enough to recognize his foot steps and hid out of shame not fear. These were the same people God gave dominion over all other animals. And my logic is flawed? Sounds more to me like an appeal of “ it wasn’t my fault! Blame it on God. 

God is a claim, not a fact, so Adam and Eve are claims as well and not fact. You like believing these stories but have absolutely no evidence for them except a self-serving circular work of fiction with outright absurdities backed up with the inaugurate response "God did it". 

I take this response as meaning you had no intentions of ever listening to any response from anyone labeled a Theist. So I really am confused as to your original intentions. Your initial post asked for a response and you got it, but your intent was not to listen. I guess freethinking is not synonymous open mind.

You have also claimed intellectual cowardice of theists who demand government favoritism because they can’t handle debate or competition and Christians should keep their fiction out of our laws to keep you from get wound up.

Okay, let’s see what James Madison, The Father of Our Constitution' had to say about laws of our government: “We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments”. Yup, sounds pretty atheist to me.

If you want a government not run with any religions background, go live in ________  you will have to fill in the place, I can’t really think of one.  

Brian57 response to casting Adam and Eve out of Eden: how inhumane is it to punish the ignorant by swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. This is the same as sticking someone in the electric chair for jaywalking. Not to mention supposedly according to that fairy tale humanity is paying for something Adam and Eve fucked up. 

Have you really analyzed their punishment? The electric chair after the sledgehammer is what you call reality. Is your life full of so much suffering that this is the metaphor used to illustrate it?

I would like to believe that both you and the watcher have never stuck a fork into a light socket. This is something that should have been learned without torture or punishment. God grounded them to mortality not an eternity of torture. Have you ever wondered what happened when they died??? Or have you even read further and found out they were humble to God and accepted the fate of their actions?

And yes Brian57 we also pay the price for our families fuckups.  What you ate and how you lived was based on your parent life styles, not what you wanted.

Our point in all this blasphemy is to show you the absurdity in the logic of the claim, nothing more. So dont cry about us hating you when we dont even know you personaly. We simply dont buy the logic of that book, sceintifically or moraly.   

Brian my friend, I think the only thing correct in you closing statement is that you don’t know me. Throughout this post you have consistently attempted to put me into a theist box comprised of your own prejudices. I do agree that you will not try to follow the logic of any book with a theist tag. As far as scientifically part… I find it amusing that the post that started with your questioning the immorality of an small sect of Christians has led us to the initial fall of man from grace, The belief that man can equal God through Knowledge. If this thought is followed through to completion it does not destroy God but just separate you from him if used in arrogance.

The majority of early scientific knowledge we claim came from Church Organized Universities, for your health sake I hope you don’t carry this same prejudice to the many Hospital that are also Christian based. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Watcher

Mjolnin wrote:

Watcher wrote:

Before your dog or a human will submit to an authority figure it first must learn punishment.

I cringe to think that the only way you think it is possible to learn is through punishment. I didn’t have to beat a puppy into submission before it would start to learn. The dog responds to love and caring not just to torture. For your sake I hope no one from the SPCA has seen your post.

Sooo.. from your beliefs the same two people who discussed the fact that they were not supposed to eat the fruit did not have the intelligence of a dog??? These same people knew the God of the story well enough to recognize his foot steps and hid out of shame not fear. These were the same people God gave dominion over all other animals. And my logic is flawed? Sounds more to me like an appeal of “ it wasn’t my fault! Blame it on God.

God is a claim, not a fact, so Adam and Eve are claims as well and not fact. You like believing these stories but have absolutely no evidence for them except a self-serving circular work of fiction with outright absurdities backed up with the inaugurate response "God did it".

I take this response as meaning you had no intentions of ever listening to any response from anyone labeled a Theist. So I really am confused as to your original intentions. Your initial post asked for a response and you got it, but your intent was not to listen. I guess freethinking is not synonymous open mind.

You have also claimed intellectual cowardice of theists who demand government favoritism because they can’t handle debate or competition and Christians should keep their fiction out of our laws to keep you from get wound up.

Okay, let’s see what James Madison, The Father of Our Constitution' had to say about laws of our government: “We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments”. Yup, sounds pretty atheist to me.

If you want a government not run with any religions background, go live in ________ you will have to fill in the place, I can’t really think of one.

Brian57 response to casting Adam and Eve out of Eden: how inhumane is it to punish the ignorant by swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. This is the same as sticking someone in the electric chair for jaywalking. Not to mention supposedly according to that fairy tale humanity is paying for something Adam and Eve fucked up.

Have you really analyzed their punishment? The electric chair after the sledgehammer is what you call reality. Is your life full of so much suffering that this is the metaphor used to illustrate it?

I would like to believe that both you and the watcher have never stuck a fork into a light socket. This is something that should have been learned without torture or punishment. God grounded them to mortality not an eternity of torture. Have you ever wondered what happened when they died??? Or have you even read further and found out they were humble to God and accepted the fate of their actions?

And yes Brian57 we also pay the price for our families fuckups. What you ate and how you lived was based on your parent life styles, not what you wanted.

Brian my friend, I think the only thing correct in you closing statement is that you don’t know me. Throughout this post you have consistently attempted to put me into a theist box comprised of your own prejudices. I do agree that you will not try to follow the logic of any book with a theist tag. As far as scientifically part… I find it amusing that the post that started with your questioning the immorality of an small sect of Christians has led us to the initial fall of man from grace, The belief that man can equal God through Knowledge. If this thought is followed through to completion it does not destroy God but just separate you from him if used in arrogance.

The majority of early scientific knowledge we claim came from Church Organized Universities, for your health sake I hope you don’t carry this same prejudice to the many Hospital that are also Christian based.

Ok, you trained your dog. God provided Adam and Eve no such training. Or did god's ghost writers consider that not worth mentioning?

There are Christian based hospitals? Do they have doctors or does Benny Hinn go through a few times a month?

Oh, you mean hospitals that churches invested in so they can use that evil man-discovered science and still call themselves religious and say god healed them.

On your Madison quote, when he said,

"In no instance have... the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people"

and

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect. "

and

"The number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the state. "

was he lying? 

— George Carlin

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: I cringe

Mjolnin wrote:

Beat?  Torture?  Where the hell did those words come from?  I never used those words.  Let's stop and unravel your flawed thinking for a moment.  In order for you to teach any animal that something should not be done(such as pissing or crapping the living room floor) you have to show that creature negative feedback.  How do you teach a dog this is wrong?

?

You withhold kisses and petting?  Let me know how that works out for you.  It wouldn't work on me and I think I am more intelligent than a dog.  If nothing bad happens to me for something I do, then I will do whatever the hell I feel like doing.

And as far as your statement that you hope no one from the SPCA sees my post, fucking email it to them.  Give them a link to it.  Tell them my name is Ryan Simmons, I am seriously scared.

If you think torture and beating is so horrible and beneath you then how do you reconcile the idea that your almighty and omnibenevolent god will torture everyone who doesn't accept him for an eternity?  You're better than the god you believe in?  I agree with you.  You are better than that god.  That petty, egotistical despot of a god that will deliver eternal torture to any human that dares to oppose him.

Mjolnin wrote:

Name one bit of beneficial "scientific knowledge" that humanity has acquired that has come from the church.

Well? 

Don't work on the sabbath?  Don't eat pork?  Cancer will be cured in no time with these religious nuggets of wisdom.

Modern medicine is not based on religion.

MODERN MEDICINE IS NOT BASED ON RELIGION.

If you disagree tell me EXACTLY what in modern medicine does come from religion.

Prayer?

You can throw St. Mary's in front of the name of a modern scientifically based hospital with today's medical treatment, that does not mean that hospital is based on religion.

Is the computer you are typing on based on religion?  What verse led to the breakthrough of the transistor?

Today all the good things that have made our lives better is based on science.  Science that had to fight religion to exist.  Name one single solitary thing that religion has given us that has made our lives better.

Name one thing.

Love?  People loved each other before christianity.  Do you think the native americans were killing their family members for fun before Europeans brought them religion?

Hating fags?  Thanks god!

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Beat? 

Watcher wrote:

Beat?  Torture?  Where the hell did those words come from?  I never used those words.  Let's stop and unravel your flawed thinking for a moment. 

My flawed thinking??

I was comparing the ability for an animal to learn to the ability of Adam and Eve to comprehend. These words came from this thread of how God treats man - the dog was a metaphor for man.

Watcher wrote:

If nothing bad happens to me for something I do, then I will do whatever the hell I feel like doing.

So you agree in reinforcing learning through suffering. I thought that was what God believed in. Or at least that is what I am constantly told. What kinda theist are you??

Watcher wrote:

If you think torture and beating is so horrible and beneath you then how do you reconcile the idea that your almighty and omnibenevolent god will torture everyone who doesn't accept him for an eternity? 

If you read my earlier posts you will understand how absurd this statement is to me.

Watcher wrote:

Name one bit of beneficial "scientific knowledge" that humanity has acquired that has come from the church.

Well? 

The medieval universities in Western Europe were born under the aegis of the Roman Catholic Church. Many historians state that universities and cathedral schools were a continuation of the interest in learning promoted by monasteries.

That is the point. Were we be without schools for advanced learning. The advancement of science came through the Universities-the Universities were built and promoted by the Monasteries- the Monastaries are religious based organizations.

The Hospitals and much of there research is funded by these Religious organizations and there Universities. (not all research)

Is this a bit more clear?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
End Timers unfortunately

End Timers unfortunately have created something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is that the meme of rapture affects its hosts in such a way that it makes them destructive. They no longer care about this world and some even seek to make it worse to try and bring about the rapture. In some African countries it is especially destructive since the leaders of some countries are end-timers.

If the meme spreads further we're in a lot of shit, they could actually destroy the world and of course they won't find Jesus waiting for them.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Ok, you

jcgadfly wrote:

Ok, you trained your dog. God provided Adam and Eve no such training. Or did god's ghost writers consider that not worth mentioning?

They knew him well enough to recognize his foot steps and voice. He trained them well enough that they knew they were not supposed to eat the fruit. Are we to assume they were created with this knowledge? Or can we make a logical assumption? Or is logical assumptions unaccepted within religious boudries?

jcgadfly wrote:

There are Christian based hospitals? Do they have doctors or does Benny Hinn go through a few times a month?

Oh, you mean hospitals that churches invested in so they can use that evil man-discovered science and still call themselves religious and say god healed them.

Ya thats the ones. But I don't think I have ever seen Benny Hinn. I really don't understand why science is considered evil in these threads, I have never mentioned it. I have heard this called a strawman tactict. I hope it is just for humor, thats how I take it.

jcgadfly wrote:

On your Madison quote, when he said,

"In no instance have... the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people"

and

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect. "

and

"The number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the state. "

was he lying? 

James Madison was very vocal in the seperation of Church and state. But my interpetations of his letters are that church should not control government and government should not control religion. Control of society is what makes this point extreemly difficult. We also have to be aware of the fact that not all Christian religions were well accepted in the U.S. at this time. Which made freedom of religion a bit of a bogus point.

I am serious when I say and I am rarely serious: I have no complete answer as to what separation entails. I was told 80% of U.S. citizens classify themselves as Christian while the other 20% gets lost in the shuffle. How anyone can say “ I don’t believe as you so you have to stop” is a difficult line. Everyone plays the persecuted.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: So you

Mjolnin wrote:

So you agree in reinforcing learning through suffering. I thought that was what God believed in. Or at least that is what I am constantly told. What kinda theist are you??

Theist?  I'm no kind of delusional theist.  I'm an ATHEIST.

And yes I believe in learning to obey authority through negative feedback.  So does our society (Being imprisoned or killed is pretty negative feedback for doing illegal things).  You wack jobs that think only positive reinforcement should be used don't take into consideration those people and animals that don't really give a crap if you don't give them a hug and tell them they did good.

Mjolnin wrote:

The medieval universities in Western Europe were born under the aegis of the Roman Catholic Church. Many historians state that universities and cathedral schools were a continuation of the interest in learning promoted by monasteries.

Is this a bit more clear?

Actually no.  The churches did save "almost all learning and arts" during the dark ages.  Let's look at this for a moment.  What is the general time that the "dark ages" existed? 566-1095.

So this means it preserved the "learning and arts" of pre-566 AD?

Damn.  Good thing we have all that advanced science.

And as far as universities during the medieval ages which existed from roughly the 5th century to the 15th century they taught primarily theology.  The other two main areas of study were law and medicine.  What was medieval medicine?  Apparently antiquated forms of medicine and spiritual influences.  There was no scientific medicine.  It rather focused on observations that were deduced by some contrived spiritual influence that they thought caused it.

Since what we currently call science today was not developed until the 17th and 18th century, I say BIG WHOOPDY DOO.

Even if it did preserve some primitive learning I have yet to hear about anything useful that religion has generated.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: And yes I

Watcher wrote:

And yes I believe in learning to obey authority through negative feedback.  So does our society (Being imprisoned or killed is pretty negative feedback for doing illegal things).  You wack jobs that think only positive reinforcement should be used don't take into consideration those people and animals that don't really give a crap if you don't give them a hug and tell them they did good.

You are really starting to make me wonder if you are atheist out of Knowledge or just hate. Your extreemly negative responces do not show much control or rational thought.

You call God a punisher and yet you believe that is what is required for society. PLease make up you mind.

Watcher wrote:

Since what we currently call science today was not developed until the 17th and 18th century, I say BIG WHOOPDY DOO.

Even if it did preserve some primitive learning I have yet to hear about anything useful that religion has generated.

Anything is such a finite word. I really think you sould rethink this again. It is comparable to say that only good has come from science. It pushes things a bit too far, don't you think?

I don't understand why you are putting Religion against science?The notion of "God" and "Science" can co-exist quite comfortably. This relationship is described as a "non-overlapping magisteria". They both use reason and they both have elements of unverifiable faith. But one does not disprove or replace the other.

So again with Learning and the Support from religious organizations.... It happens. THeists are not uneducated wack jobs.  

Throughout this thread I have been told that my logic is flawed. I hate to break the news but Logic does not follow one true path to enlightenment. If it does than, as the red neck joke goes... any man who doesn't own a weedeater has to be gay.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: You are

Mjolnin wrote:

You are really starting to make me wonder if you are atheist out of Knowledge or just hate. Your extreemly negative responces do not show much control or rational thought.

You call God a punisher and yet you believe that is what is required for society. PLease make up you mind.

There's a big difference between spanking a kid that is failing school and throwing someone into an eternal lake of fire after you're dead.

Don't you agree?

Spanking a child to make them behave is a way to teach them to be responsible.  If they aren't taught to be responsible what will their adult life be like?

Uneducated, stuck in a horrible low paying job.  Criminal maybe.  Which do you think is worse?  Getting a few spankings as a kid or being poor, uneducated, and starving?

On the other hand god will supposedly send us to hell if we don't believe in him.  Ok, so what will we learn in hell?  How will this make our futures better?

It won't.  It's revenge.

Mjolnin wrote:
Anything is such a finite word. I really think you sould rethink this again. It is comparable to say that only good has come from science. It pushes things a bit too far, don't you think?

"Anything is such..."where in the hell did you pull that from?  Right out of your butt I'm guessing.  What bad has come from science?  Weapons of war?

If you're getting those weapons used on you, then yes you would say it is bad.  If you are using those same weapons to protect your loved ones you will say they are pretty damn great.

Mjolnin wrote:

I don't understand why you are putting Religion against science?The notion of "God" and "Science" can co-exist quite comfortably. This relationship is described as a "non-overlapping magisteria". They both use reason and they both have elements of unverifiable faith. But one does not disprove or replace the other.

So you believe in evolution, correct?  You know that science has proven we share a common ancestor with Chimpanzees?  You know that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, right?

Mjolnin wrote:

So again with Learning and the Support from religious organizations.... It happens. THeists are not uneducated wack jobs.  

Throughout this thread I have been told that my logic is flawed. I hate to break the news but Logic does not follow one true path to enlightenment. If it does than, as the red neck joke goes... any man who doesn't own a weedeater has to be gay.

No, they are often very educated people who are competely and suicidaly illogical about their beliefs.

I believe that "true" logic does follow one path.  If two people come up with two opposing views on anything, one of them has not used true logic.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpitH2xUUyA

Do you think these people are using true logic?

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to take so long to

Watcher wrote:

There's a big difference between spanking a kid that is failing school and throwing someone into an eternal lake of fire after you're dead.Don't you agree?

Almost agree. The spanking is an attempt to correct the child. The lake of fire is the final result for their actions and refusal to correct them.

Watcher wrote:

Spanking a child to make them behave is a way to teach them to be responsible. If they aren't taught to be responsible what will their adult life be like?Uneducated, stuck in a horrible low paying job. Criminal maybe. Which do you think is worse? Getting a few spankings as a kid or being poor, uneducated, and starving?

This we do agree on. Child physiology tells us that you either punish or not. A firm finger shaking doesn’t do much in my beliefs of child raising.

Watcher wrote:

On the other hand god will supposedly send us to hell if we don't believe in him. Ok, so what will we learn in hell? How will this make our futures better? It won't. It's revenge.

Hell is not supposed to teach you nor is it a place for God’s revenge. It is were you go on your own free will. God does not put anyone in hell; they put them selves there. With or without God you are still responsible for your actions. If you are told not to shoot yourself in the foot and do it anyway you have to accept the consequences whether you think a bad foot is fair or not. Why are you stuck on the "if we don't believe in him" line. As I said earlier, the devil himself believes in God, and he ain’t going to make to Heaven.

Watcher wrote:

So you believe in evolution, correct? You know that science has proven we share a common ancestor with Chimpanzees? You know that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, right?

You should know that evolution has nothing to do with my religious beliefs.As far as really believing in evolution is dependant on the path of logic or reasoning followed.

If the person is using deductive reasoning… I will disagree with them.Deductive reason –Logic- is valid only if there is no possible situation in which all the premises are true and the conclusion false. For deductive reasoning to work the evidence provided must be a set about which everything is known before the conclusion can be drawn. Since it is impossible to know everything about evolution before drawing a conclusion, deductive reasoning is of little use to me. If you follow this path than once you have proven any part of the conclusion wrong than it is and always will be wrong.

However I will listen to inductive reason -Logic-. Inductive reasoning is a generalization from observations. However incomplete the knowledge is, the conclusion is likely to follow. This pathfollows a more believable path and is not hindered by a closed mind. With this path you loose the guarantee that the conclusion follows. However it does provide the ability to ponder new ideas that are not obvious from the evidence. This also makes my response to your statment of :

"I believe that "true" logic does follow one path. If two people come up with two opposing views on anything, one of them has not used true logic".

Logic is only true if it follows the persons beliefs. Misguided beliefs are used too often and deductive reasoning swings the person away from the reality of the evidence. Just like belief that theists believe in the Left behind bull shit.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Just like belief

Quote:

Just like belief that theists believe in the Left behind bull shit.

Good for you, you have taken a step in the right direction. Now, if you accept this as a fairy tale, and rightfully so, that there will be no magical battle between the white robe forces vs the red leotard pitchfork forces, then how is it that is metaphore, but a zombie god surviving rigor mortis after 3 days is not metaphore?

There is a name for that, it's called "cherry picking". We are calling you on an absurdity, and you agree that "end times is an absurdity". Now when you understand WHY you call that story an absurdity, you will understand why we call all magical claims of the bible absurdities, and not just that one. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"Mjolnin: Hell is not

"Mjolnin: Hell is not supposed to teach you nor is it a place for God’s revenge. It is were you go on your own free will. God does not put anyone in hell; they put them selves there. With or without God you are still responsible for your actions. If you are told not to shoot yourself in the foot and do it anyway you have to accept the consequences whether you think a bad foot is fair or not. Why are you stuck on the “if we don't believe in him” line. As I said earlier, the devil himself believes in God, and he ain’t going to make to Heaven. "

THAT, is what I find so malignant about a god that would do such a thing.  And I know how you are rationalizing it.  I was raised to believe the same thing.  I used that defense when I was younger.

But stop and think for a moment. 

1) God is supposedly all powerful.   He can do ANYTHING, right?

Then why did god HAVE to create hell and punish people forever?  Why couldn't he just snuff them out of existence?  What's the point?

Really.  What is the point?  God could have done it any way he wanted, right? 

2)  god is omni-benevolent?

If god is all good AND he can do ANYTHING, then why set up a system where most people end up in torment forever?  Why do we have to accept him on faith?

Obviously if god could do anything he wanted and he was all good, then he would make sure everyone got the best chance to go to heaven.

If you're evil, fine, go roast.  But to punish someone because they don't see how he could even exist?  Why can't god come on down and stand in front of me?  He can do anything, so this should be no problem.

Mjolnin: "You should know that evolution has nothing to do with my religious beliefs.As far as really believing in evolution is dependant on the path of logic or reasoning followed. "

Three questions.

1) So you believe in evolution, correct?

2) You know that science has proven we share a common ancestor with Chimpanzees?

3) You know that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, right?

Mjolnin: "Logic is only true if it follows the persons beliefs.  Misguided beliefs are used too often and deductive reasoning swings the person away from the reality of the evidence. Just like belief that theists believe in the Left behind bull shit"

So if I believe that I am a frog that's logical because it's my belief?

Misguided belief: god exists and we know what he wants us to do.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:
Quote:

Good for you, you have taken a step in the right direction. Now, if you accept this as a fairy tale, and rightfully so, that there will be no magical battle between the white robe forces vs the red leotard pitchfork forces, then how is it that is metaphore, but a zombie god surviving rigor mortis after 3 days is not metaphore?

There is a name for that, it's called "cherry picking". We are calling you on an absurdity, and you agree that "end times is an absurdity". Now when you understand WHY you call that story an absurdity, you will understand why we call all magical claims of the bible absurdities, and not just that one. 

I do belif I am walking the right path. Unfortunately you are still unable to distiguish between rational thought and your desire to cherry pick to prove you misguided beliefs. If you were as versed in theology as you attempt to prove than you would not have Cherry picked a weak theological belief to start with.

We often see our greatest weakness in the work of others. You asked a question you got an answer and the only thing you can come up with is that all theist cherry pick and atheists don't, growup and smell the shit you spread before you judge someone elses.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Obviously

Watcher wrote:

Obviously if god could do anything he wanted and he was all good, then he would make sure everyone got the best chance to go to heaven.

What other chance do you need?

Watcher wrote:

If you're evil, fine, go roast.  But to punish someone because they don't see how he could even exist?  Why can't god come on down and stand in front of me?  He can do anything, so this should be no problem.

1) Where does is say and where have you seen me write that people who don't see how he could even exist goes to Hell.

2) God did come down according to Christian beliefs.

3) If God can do anything than why not do what I want. Sounds more like a complaint than a logical question.

Watcher wrote:

So if I believe that I am a frog that's logical because it's my belief?

Yes, If you believe you are a frog than the path of logic makes true logic to you. If it didn’t than you wouldn’t believe you were a frog.

Watcher wrote:

Misguided belief: god exists and we know what he wants us to do.

Misguided belief: god doesn’t exist because I don’t want to do what he wants us to do.

I still haven’t heard of what God asks that is so terrible that you would refuse.

I don’t know what I have given up because of my beliefs. All I can come up with is things that common sense tells you not to do.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Misguided

Mjolnin wrote:

Misguided belief: god doesn’t exist because I don’t want to do what he wants us to do.

I still haven’t heard of what God asks that is so terrible that you would refuse.

I don’t know what I have given up because of my beliefs. All I can come up with is things that common sense tells you not to do.

This is the BIG piece of conjecture you throw on atheists.  We don't disbelieve in god because we are hedonistic.

*sigh*

Mjolnin, sometimes in this conversation I have made angry sounding replies to you.  For that I apologize.  You do not deserve that.  Let me explain why I got angry.

My grandfather was a deacon.  My mother plays piano for church service for Calvary Baptist church and also teaches Sunday School.  I went to that church every Sunday morning, evening, and Wednesday evening.  I was raised to believe in the Bible.  I was raised to believe in Jesus as my personal saviour and I DID believe.  I very thoroughly believed.  My mother watched how much I enjoyed learning the stories of the bible.  She was sure I was going to be a preacher or missionary one day.  I led several friends to Christ.

I argued for god and used many of the same statements you are making in this thread.  I KNEW that heaven and hell existed.

I joined the navy and got placed on a Naval Cruiser.  I was 24.  I got into an argument with another protestant about salvation.  I was raised to believe once saved ALWAYS saved.  The surety of the believer.  He was raised to believe in falling from grace.

We both argued our sides and we BOTH used verses from the bible to prove our arguments.

Afterwards I had doubts.  I ALWAYS doubt myself, Mjolnin.  Always.

So I decided to look through the entire bible and find out what the truth was about salvation.

When you look at every verse of the bible, the exact way you can get to heaven becomes frustratingly difficult.

If I just cherry pick and take John 3:16 no problem.  But how could I justify ignoring all the rest about salvation?  I couldn't justify it.

So I tried something revolutionary.

I decided to put my bible away and use my god given intellect to figure it out.

I thought about it for 6 years.

Now when you are raised by your parents and community to believe in heaven and hell so deeply that you practically piss your pants for fear of going to hell, you really need a LOT of convincing to disbelieve.

It took me 6 years, Mjolnin.  A lot of people here claim to have done it in months.

I don't see how.  How could I be the stupid one that took so much longer?

But after those 6 years were up, I couldn't believe in the bible anymore.  I didn't refuse to believe.  I couldn't.  It doesn't make sense. 

And you want to know what pisses me off, Mjolnin?  What pisses me off about religion and what it did to me?

A year before I realized that I couldn't believe any longer I was strongly, adamantly against homosexual marriage.  After I deconverted I couldn't understand how I could have thought that.  Two full grown adults that love each other and want it legally recognized.  That's very important to a lot of people.  However Christians think marriage is christian and their god does not condone homosexuality.  Marriage is not christian.  Christian marriage is christian.  Every people have had some type of marriage.  But even some sects of Christianity condone it now.  Methodists are getting very friendly with homosexuals.

No one is forcing a Southern Baptist preacher to marry homosexuals.  Why force my opinions on other adults when it does not concern/hurt/affect me or anyone I love or care about?  Religion made me want to instinctively restrict other peoples rights, Mjolnin.

Restrict rights to get married. 

That's pretty tame. 

Other people's religious views make them want to restrict what you can do in any aspect of your life.  Restrict teaching science.  Restrict stem cell research.  Restrict scientific studies that can save millions of lives.  Restrict if you can have a life-saving abortion.  If you can use contraception.  If you are allowed to even live if you do not live the way their religion thinks you should live.

All of this not based on logic.  But the warped views of people living thousands of years ago.

What other parts of my thoughts were warped by my old religion?  I'm sure it must be tons of things.

That's why I'm angry.

And Mjolnin.  I'm 33.  I'm faithfully married.  I have 3 young daughters.  I've two dogs, a mortgage, a good job.

I don't do drugs.  I don't rape.  I don't steal.  I do not beat or molest my children.  I don't look at kid porn(ugh).  I don't have any homosexual urges or desires.

My life and how I act after I deconverted is EXACTLY the same as before.

The only difference is I don't believe in god.

So what is it that I want to do now that god wouldn't let me?

I do the exact same things.

I hope you keep thinking on this, Mjolnin.  I really do.  Don't give anything a free pass in your mind.  Challenge everything.  If god is real and you already believe in him, a little scrutiny and logical musings is no big deal.

If he isn't real, it's a HUGE deal.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
My friend Watcher It is all

My friend Watcher

It is all about the conversation. Your candid message is greatly appreciated and understood. Now I will give you a little insight on how I process things. Our stories are not that different with the exception that when I am questioned or if I have questions, and I often do, I don’t rely on my personal interpretation of the Bible for answers. I am not that insightful and the Bible even says not to do it. Before the last book in the New Testament was written the Christian Church celebrated her golden jubilee. Christianity existed over 300 years without one single Bible Christian. I do a great deal of research to know why I should believe or what a specific reading of the Bible is trying to say. It is like lit. Class, the professor asks you to interpret a writing but if all you do is read the story and give a personal interpretation - you will get it wrong, at least that is my experience. I had to study the writer and the history surrounding the time to understand. I look for the message and if I can’t find it I research what others have written or what my church (not the people in the church) tell me what it should say. I am not a literal reader of the Bible and I do not cherry pick, you will get the same answers from me on the same subject unless I am boxing in the conversation.

I don’t see atheists as the spawn of the devil, I don’t think you are evil and I do enjoy picking on the ones I do know.

You don’t have to be dumb to be a Christian but there sure are a lot of them

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:

First off, make sure you are all the way at the bottem of the post before you add to a quote. The curser when you open a new topic with a quote is often in the middle of the quote. Make sure the curser is outside the quote at the bottem of the page before you start typing, otherwise your post will look like it is part of the person you quoted.(friendly advice, it happens to all of us at some point).

Secondly, no one is judging you. We dont know you face to face personally. We are saying YOUR CLAIMS are absurd, just as you would rightfully say that belief in multiple armed deities is absurd. Just as you would rightfully say Scientology is absurd.

It is not a matter of "judging". It is a matter of intelectuall honesty. We call a duck a duck and we call fiction fiction. It is not our fault that you dont want to face that. Insted of taking it personally, why not examine the claims you make insted of accusing us of something that is not going on.

Us, "That is not true"

You, "You hate me".

No, "We are simply saying you got it wrong".

It would be the same if the conversation went like this.

Person A, " Bill Gates was America's first president".

Us, "No,that is not true"

THE SAME IS GOING ON HERE WITH YOU, you just dont want to see it.

It is NOT true that there will be a finall battle between a bearded man in a white robe vs a man in a red leotard with a pitchfork. And it is NOT true that human flesh can rise from the dead after rigor mortis. That is not being mean, that is facing you with facts.

If you want to blame anyone for our skepticism, blame the inept writers of the bible, or any ancient holy book for that matter. These people wrote stories of fiction, nothing more. You take it personally because you dont know any better.

If you want to believe fictional stories about magical claims, we wont hate you are have you burned at the stake. But dont expect us to buy those stories either. Just as you wouldnt buy 72 virgins "just because" someone claimed it.

The fact is you are doing nothing differently than any other believer we have run into. When shown a contradition, logical impossibility, fallacy or cherry picking, insted of trying to understand why we point this out, you run from it because your ego wont allow you to be wrong.

You have nothing to be ashamed of when someone points out an error. That is all we are doing here and you are offended by the packaging when the substance of the message is far more important. If someone is showing you a better way of thinking, you dont act like a moron and accuse them of absurd things like "judging".

We dont judge YOU, we judge the claims you make. Now stop being a whiny crybaby and poney up with the evidence, OR do the right thing and question WHY, not what you believe, BUT WHY you believe it.

The only differance between you and me is that I believe in one less deity than you do. When you understand WHY you reject all other deity claims, you will understand why we reject yours as well.

"Question with boldness even the existance of God, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear" Thomas Jefferson.

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, April 11th 1823

I doubt very seriously such a bright man would object to such scrutiny, even to the point of "blasphemy", because what was important to him was the ability to question without fear.

You are afraid of the answers you may find. Many here have been where you are at, but we got over our fear and you can too.

NO ONE IS JUDING YOU, you simply got it wrong and we are explaining to you WHY you got it wrong.--

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Regardless of

Regardless of interpretations of the bible or what the bible says to do there's one little thing you are missing, Mjolnin.

Even the idea of a god doesn't make logical sense.  Especially one that cares what you do and how you act.

Once you figure that out you can toss out every religion without even looking into them.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: First off,

Brian37 wrote:

First off, make sure you are all the way at the bottem of the post before you add to a quote. The curser when you open a new topic with a quote is often in the middle of the quote. Make sure the curser is outside the quote at the bottem of the page before you start typing, otherwise your post will look like it is part of the person you quoted.(friendly advice, it happens to all of us at some point).

Secondly, no one is judging you. We dont know you face to face personally. We are saying YOUR CLAIMS are absurd, just as you would rightfully say that belief in multiple armed deities is absurd. Just as you would rightfully say Scientology is absurd.

It is not a matter of "judging". It is a matter of intelectuall honesty. We call a duck a duck and we call fiction fiction. It is not our fault that you dont want to face that. Insted of taking it personally, why not examine the claims you make insted of accusing us of something that is not going on.

Us, "That is not true"

You, "You hate me".

It is NOT true that there will be a finall battle between a bearded man in a white robe vs a man in a red leotard with a pitchfork. And it is NOT true that human flesh can rise from the dead after rigor mortis. That is not being mean, that is facing you with facts.

If you want to blame anyone for our skepticism, blame the inept writers of the bible, or any ancient holy book for that matter. These people wrote stories of fiction, nothing more. You take it personally because you dont know any better.

If you want to believe fictional stories about magical claims, we wont hate you are have you burned at the stake. But dont expect us to buy those stories either. Just as you wouldnt buy 72 virgins "just because" someone claimed it.

The fact is you are doing nothing differently than any other believer we have run into. When shown a contradition, logical impossibility, fallacy or cherry picking, insted of trying to understand why we point this out, you run from it because your ego wont allow you to be wrong.

You have nothing to be ashamed of when someone points out an error. That is all we are doing here and you are offended by the packaging when the substance of the message is far more important. If someone is showing you a better way of thinking, you dont act like a moron and accuse them of absurd things like "judging".

We dont judge YOU, we judge the claims you make. Now stop being a whiny crybaby and poney up with the evidence, OR do the right thing and question WHY, not what you believe, BUT WHY you believe it.

The only differance between you and me is that I believe in one less deity than you do. When you understand WHY you reject all other deity claims, you will understand why we reject yours as well.

"Question with boldness even the existance of God, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear" Thomas Jefferson.

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, April 11th 1823

I doubt very seriously such a bright man would object to such scrutiny, even to the point of "blasphemy", because what was important to him was the ability to question without fear.

You are afraid of the answers you may find. Many here have been where you are at, but we got over our fear and you can too.

NO ONE IS JUDING YOU, you simply got it wrong and we are explaining to you WHY you got it wrong.--

1) No, I don't Hate you. I am however getting bored with you singular logic.

2) You have yet to say anything other than you don't agree with me.

3) The fact that you are not doing anything different is something you can not see. Do you actually think you insight is in anyway new.

4) You have not confinced me of anything other than you limited use of old Rhetoric

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Regardless

Watcher wrote:

Regardless of interpretations of the bible or what the bible says to do there's one little thing you are missing, Mjolnin.

Even the idea of a god doesn't make logical sense.  Especially one that cares what you do and how you act.

Once you figure that out you can toss out every religion without even looking into them.

I don't see man as a logical being. Chaos is the rule of the Universe not order. I would rather fall prey to my emotional illogical design than try to be something I am not wired to be. To me a life built around logic makes no sense when nothing around us follows. Logically ,you acn't have faith in what you read to gain insight to things outside you own enviroment.  Logically we can't put faith in the media,  most peolpe thinks its corrupt. We can't put faith in our history books in school. Logically you can't be sure of anything you haven't experienced. Unless you logically give up the right to say I am verifiably correct. When I take a good long look at the world around us I can not say "people are logical creatures" while keeping a straight face.

I have more faith in peoples illogical reactions than I do there logic. Man is not a perfect creature.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: Watcher

Mjolnin wrote:
Watcher wrote:

Even the idea of a god doesn't make logical sense. Especially one that cares what you do and how you act.

I don't see man as a logical being. Chaos is the rule of the Universe not order. I would rather fall prey to my emotional illogical design than try to be something I am not wired to be. To me a life built around logic makes no sense when nothing around us follows. Logically ,you acn't have faith in what you read to gain insight to things outside you own enviroment. Logically we can't put faith in the media, most peolpe thinks its corrupt. We can't put faith in our history books in school. Logically you can't be sure of anything you haven't experienced. Unless you logically give up the right to say I am verifiably correct. When I take a good long look at the world around us I can not say "people are logical creatures" while keeping a straight face.

I have more faith in peoples illogical reactions than I do there logic. Man is not a perfect creature.

But somehow they made up a perfect God? 

— George Carlin

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote: I don't see

Mjolnin wrote:

I don't see man as a logical being. Chaos is the rule of the Universe not order. I would rather fall prey to my emotional illogical design than try to be something I am not wired to be. To me a life built around logic makes no sense when nothing around us follows. Logically ,you acn't have faith in what you read to gain insight to things outside you own enviroment.  Logically we can't put faith in the media,  most peolpe thinks its corrupt. We can't put faith in our history books in school. Logically you can't be sure of anything you haven't experienced. Unless you logically give up the right to say I am verifiably correct. When I take a good long look at the world around us I can not say "people are logical creatures" while keeping a straight face.

So you don't care to be logical?

A lot of humans are illogical, I strongly agree.  However, you will agree that you need to get logic right to make something work the way you want it to, won't you?

I work on computers/printers/routers/servers/etc.

Computers aren't very forgiving.  You have to get it completely correct or it either won't work at all or at least not the way you want it to.

I'm forced to be logical every day at work.

Furthermore those computers wouldn't even work if the makers of all it's components weren't completely and correctly logical to make it.

So it's obvious that humans are capable of being logical.

Read "The end of Faith" by Sam Harris.  That guy is stunningly logical to me.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mjolnin wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Us, "That is not true"

You, "You hate me".

1) No, I don't Hate you. I am however getting bored with you singular logic.

2) You have yet to say anything other than you don't agree with me.

3) The fact that you are not doing anything different is something you can not see. Do you actually think you insight is in anyway new.

4) You have not confinced me of anything other than you limited use of old Rhetoric

Since when is fact "Rhetoric"? FACT=3 day old dead flesh does not jump up and dance the jig. FACT.

Sorry I burst your bubble and told you Santa was just a story. You believe in a myth. I cant help you give up that myth unless you want help.

Get back to me when you can prove it. Dont worry, I wont hold my breath. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Since when

Brian37 wrote:

Since when is fact "Rhetoric"? FACT=3 day old dead flesh does not jump up and dance the jig. FACT.

Sorry I burst your bubble and told you Santa was just a story. You believe in a myth. I cant help you give up that myth unless you want help.

Fact becomes rhetoric within the context it is delivered - it is cherry picked.

Jefferson was deeply hostile to organized religion, not religion. The state became the church on Sundays during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809). Jefferson began attending church services in the House of Representatives. Throughout his administration Jefferson permitted church services in executive branch buildings. The Gospel was also preached in the Supreme Court chambers.

Jefferson's writings were often in reference to his beliefs that there could been no infallible ecclesiastical authority established in religion, and that the establishment of such an authority would be destructive of religious liberty throughout the world. Anti-Catholic bigotry is what drove the triumph of separation and supported Jefferson "wall of separation between Church & State".

The only bubble you broke was the idea that you wouldn't mind a theist agreeing with you. As I did in my first comment to this thread.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Mjolnin wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Fact becomes rhetoric within the context it is delivered - it is cherry picked.

Jefferson was deeply hostile to organized religion, not religion. The state became the church on Sundays during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809). Jefferson began attending church services in the House of Representatives. Throughout his administration Jefferson permitted church services in executive branch buildings. The Gospel was also preached in the Supreme Court chambers.

Jefferson's writings were often in reference to his beliefs that there could been no infallible ecclesiastical authority established in religion, and that the establishment of such an authority would be destructive of religious liberty throughout the world. Anti-Catholic bigotry is what drove the triumph of separation and supported Jefferson "wall of separation between Church & State".

The only bubble you broke was the idea that you wouldn't mind a theist agreeing with you. As I did in my first comment to this thread.

Is there such a thing as an "unorganized religion"?

As far as Jefferson attending church services, etc. - He was enough of a politician to understand that it wouldn't be wise to piss people off by flaunting traditions. 

— George Carlin

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Is there

jcgadfly wrote:

Is there such a thing as an "unorganized religion"?

As far as Jefferson attending church services, etc. - He was enough of a politician to understand that it wouldn't be wise to piss people off by flaunting traditions. 

Pleas don't play the no True Scottsman card. It makes these conversations run to long. Does this show that not even a man as smart as Jefferson has control over the use of human logic? Or would we be logical to expect everybody to be a bit fuzy now and then?