I just got confronted about my RRS t-shirt

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I just got confronted about my RRS t-shirt

This old man at a gas station kept giving me dirty looks, and finally asked "Believe in God, we can fix that? What does that mean?"

I responded, "What do you think it means?"

I invited him to visit the website. 

He proceded to lecture me about, "There are certain things you dont discuss, politics and religion".

I said, "Religion is the most prevelent issue in the world today and you think it is unimportant? You think people should blindly believe in something and never dissucss it?"

I told him (words came out all wrong though) I was trying to say that if he wanted to live in a country where religion was never debated he should go live in Iran.

Basically the idiot didnt want to debate relgion because he is too insecure to do so. If his claims are valid then being able defend them should be easy. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate when people say you

I hate when people say you shouldn't discuss politics or religion. They are two things everyone should discuss, particularly in something called a democracy. Now discussing politics or religion might not be a good idea in a dictatorship where you will get your head chopped off if you disagree.

What he is really saying is that you shouldn't discuss it because people might get offended. I'm of the mind that if people get offended by my political or religious views it is their problem not mine. I am so sick of the section of our society that believes they have some inherent right to not be offended. They think that anyone who offends them should be silenced. People like that make me sick. Grow up and learn how to handle being offended you old coot.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I hate when people say you shouldn't discuss politics or religion. They are two things everyone should discuss, particularly in something called a democracy. Now discussing politics or religion might not be a good idea in a dictatorship where you will get your head chopped off if you disagree.

What he is really saying is that you shouldn't discuss it because people might get offended. I'm of the mind that if people get offended by my political or religious views it is their problem not mine. I am so sick of the section of our society that believes they have some inherent right to not be offended. They think that anyone who offends them should be silenced. People like that make me sick. Grow up and learn how to handle being offended you old coot.

I ended the conversation with, "We dont live in a dictatorship and I am not going to bow to you". 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: He proceded

Brian37 wrote:

He proceded to lecture me about, "There are certain things you dont discuss, politics and religion".

And yet, here he is discussing religion with a complete stranger.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think he was actually

I think he was actually giving an order

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
aiia wrote: I think he was

aiia wrote:
I think he was actually giving an order

Yep, be a good little token citizen and keep your mouth shut and understand that Christians own the goverment and every other citizen is just a guest.

I guess he is in for a suprise. 

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you are wrong about

If you are wrong about politics and/or religion or cannot justify your views then it makes perfect sense to advocate silence on the issues.  Seems this character was advocating a life of unquestioning obedience to whomever his dictator happens to be.  America hasn't had serfs for quite some time, so I wonder what compels him to return to such an era?  Perhaps we'll never know since such topics are above discussion for him.

ThaiBoxerShorts
ThaiBoxerShorts's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if he would have

I wonder if he would have been as confrontational if he'd seen a shirt that said "Real Men Love Jesus."

Or how about "Allah Ackbar?"

The same unspoken ban on discussing politics and religion should still apply, right?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are few things as

There are few things as fulfilling as berating the elderly.  I like to tell off someone from a different era and then smoke a cigar, just to round out my satisfaction.  Sometimes, I will move right in to drop kicking small dogs and frightening children.

Hell, on some occassions, I go down to the community center and take them all on at once.  If you were there, you'd see walkers and dentures flying everywhere.  There is nothing like making someone's final years on the planet uncomfortable and frightening.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guh! I hate stupid old men.

Guh! I hate stupid old men. This wasn't about religion but about the other 'tabooed sphere: Politics. I was down the pub a couple of weeks ago discussing the finer points of Marxism with a couple of mates. And we noticed this guy propped up at the bar listening in. Eventually he decided to but in.

"Have you been there?"

"Where?"

He proceeded to mumble something or other about Eastern Europe/ USSR to which we replied that no we hadn't.

"So what gives you the right to talk about communism?"

"I don't see why that should matter and also we weren't saying anything about the USSR."

"You young 'uns you know nothing. I been there, I saw it. It doesn't work stop wasting your time."

And so a long and drawn out debate ensued where none of us were sure exactly what his position was (we'd also been planning to leave just before he butted in but an hour later and we were no closer to doing so). Here's a few more quotes.

"You want to change things? Trade Unions, that's what I do. I'm in a trade union."

"You gotta keep wages down. Where would Asians and Africans be without sweatshops?"

See the contradiction?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Nero wrote: There are few

Nero wrote:

There are few things as fulfilling as berating the elderly. I like to tell off someone from a different era and then smoke a cigar, just to round out my satisfaction. Sometimes, I will move right in to drop kicking small dogs and frightening children.

Hell, on some occassions, I go down to the community center and take them all on at once. If you were there, you'd see walkers and dentures flying everywhere. There is nothing like making someone's final years on the planet uncomfortable and frightening.

Give me a break. I didnt cuss him out and I wasnt looking for a fist fight. If you are trying to make sound like I beat the crap out of him and stole his wallet, that is absurd.

I said "old man", not "frail dying old man". The guy was in great shape and about 2  inches taller than me. He was looking to give me a toung lashing because he wanted to "set me streight".

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: This old

Brian37 wrote:

This old man at a gas station kept giving me dirty looks, and finally asked "Believe in God, we can fix that? What does that mean?"

I responded, "What do you think it means?"

I invited him to visit the website.

I said, "Religion is the most prevelent issue in the world today and you think it is unimportant? You think people should blindly believe in something and never dissucss it?"

I told him (words came out all wrong though) I was trying to say that if he wanted to live in a country where religion was never debated he should go live in Iran.

Basically the idiot didnt want to debate relgion because he is too insecure to do so. If his claims are valid then being able defend them should be easy.

Hahaha I gottas get me one!! 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been confronted on

I've been confronted on several occasions for wearing my "Jesus Shaves" t-shirt. It's funny to mess with them sometimes.

"Ma'am, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Shaver?"

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I've been confronted on several occasions for wearing my "Jesus Shaves" t-shirt. It's funny to mess with them sometimes.

"Ma'am, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Shaver?"

I'm a big fan of:

"JESUS SAVES!!! HE SHOOTS!!! HE SCORES!!!"

I've also seen a nerdy version that uses "Jesus saves" as a play on the "saving throws" of D&D fame, but I don't remember how it goes, and only the nerds would get it anyway. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: I'm a

Archeopteryx wrote:

I'm a big fan of:

"JESUS SAVES!!! HE SHOOTS!!! HE SCORES!!!"

I've also seen a nerdy version that uses "Jesus saves" as a play on the "saving throws" of D&D fame, but I don't remember how it goes, and only the nerds would get it anyway.

You're right, only the nerds will get it. It ends: "...and takes only half damage!"

I also like the lolcat of a kitten: "JEZUS LUVS U, BUT HE GAEV ME TEH KANCER."

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

d4rkph03nix
d4rkph03nix's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Jesus saves and takes 0

"Jesus saves and takes 0 damage"

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
d4rkph03nix wrote: "Jesus

d4rkph03nix wrote:
"Jesus saves and takes 0 damage"

I've also seen:

Jesus Saves!

The rest of you take full damage. 

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think its kinda foolish

I think its kinda foolish to say you should never talk about politics and religion. If a person thinks religion doesn't effect anything I can see why they would say don't talk about as people might get upset. Now with politics the idea is just dangerous. It would be much easier for a power to control the people if their power is never talked about.

I think the guy was talking about the things you aren't suppose to talk about with friends. The simple solution is to not be friends with that person :P 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw the old guy today in

I saw the old guy today in the Kroger's parking lot.  Well, I'm not sure it is THE old guy of this thread, but he was AN old guy.  So, I screamed, "Leave Brian alone, you filthy son of a bitch."  Then, I pushed him in front of a truck delivering apples.  I laughed at the irony of the fruit of knowledge having its conveyance kill an old guy.

Man, I am glad we all hate the elderly.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I saw the old

Nero wrote:

I saw the old guy today in the Kroger's parking lot.  Well, I'm not sure it is THE old guy of this thread, but he was AN old guy.  So, I screamed, "Leave Brian alone, you filthy son of a bitch."  Then, I pushed him in front of a truck delivering apples.  I laughed at the irony of the fruit of knowledge having its conveyance kill an old guy.

Man, I am glad we all hate the elderly.

For your sake, it's a good thing hell doesn't exist.  lol. 

In the event that it does exist, save me a seat, ok?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Reality Fan
Reality Fan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus saves by clipping

Jesus saves by clipping coupons and shopping wisely.