Greetings!

Prytanis
Prytanis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings!

Greetings, RRS!

I want to help you in your activism.

I have been an atheist since I was a teenager.  Now I've got over a decade under my belt of living without God, and I've never felt better.  All along though, I had drawn up a non-aggression pact with friends and family who believed in the supernatural.  I stated my position calmly, and allowed them to have their position, and we essentially agreed to disagree.  While this social arrangement worked fine (and continues to) in my close relations, I have ceased to feel that it is sufficient in the public sphere.

As I get a bit older, and I make a little more money, and I have a few more responsibilities, I am beginning to take a very serious interest in cultivating a public life.  When I saw Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion" documentary on television about 3 months ago, it struck a chord with me.  I realized that the non-agression pact I had with my family was, in fact, an impossibility in the public sphere.  Religion was explicitly public.  I became more curious.

I pride myself on never taking any of my beliefs absolutely for granted so I began to read.  I picked up Dawkins' book.  Then I read Hitchens'.  Then Harris'.  I'm working on Dennett's now.  I have watch countless hours of debates and presentations by these gentlemen on YouTube and Google video.  I have watched the exploits of atheists in America.  I have watched some of the RRS material and found it to be both amusing and important (funny how that works!).

My opinion has been changed by engaging this material.  While I'm not going to go after that annoying co-worker in the elevator, or my family at Thanksgiving dinner, I would like to cultivate a network of likeminded individuals, and begin to shift the balance of power in the public debate into the camp of rationalism.

I hope that I can find the beginnings of that network here.  I look forward to interracting with you all.

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure we're all glad to

I'm sure we're all glad to have you here!  As I new user myself (I've been here about a week) and can say that the people on this forum are very inviting, helpful and knowledgeable.  You will certainly learn a whole lot in a very short amount of time.

On a side note, I really like your "non-aggression pact", but you are correct in stating that that only works amongst your closest friends and family.  Respect is reciprocal...not in the "you have to respect me before I respent you" sense, but in the "we should show a mutual respect for each other at all times" sense.  It's when this mutual respect is violated (i.e. in the public sector) that we must stop being polite.

Welcome to the forum!

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Pryantis. And you

Welcome Pryantis. And you too SteveDave, I don't believe we've met yet. I've found this network extremely valuable for meeting likeminded rationalists. I think it is important to promote the message that to be a non-believer is a perfectly accepable and reasonable thing to be.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum. You

Welcome to the forum. You should find many to discuss with here along with a myriad of opportunities to network.  Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer