Question: Which way does this picture turn?

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Question: Which way does this picture turn?

Ill post more on the reason for this later.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rationalresponder

Been done

Shortend link/ 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've seen stuff like this

I've seen stuff like this before. (Yes, I know the secret.) What's kind of weird is that when I look at it the first time, it's always going the way you know that I naturally see it. If I want to, I can look away, picture it going the other way, and then when I look again, it will be going the other way.

Is it normal to be able to do that?

{edit: Note, I said I know the secret.  I don't think I agree with the secret, but it turned the way it was supposed to for me.  Could it be that because I knew what it was for, I preprogrammed myself to see it the correct way?}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I see how it is. You're

Oh, I see how it is. You're just going around messing up everyone's party.  Is this because I said Fatty was having sex at the battered women's shelter?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Optical illusion.

Optical illusion.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone on the other post

Someone on the other post implies that you can basically pick which way it goes.  I pretty much only see it going clockwise.  Actually If I look at it at the feet I can every once in a while see it counter clockwise, but to me it by default looks clockwise.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Oh, I see how it is.

Quote:
Oh, I see how it is. You're just going around messing up everyone's party.  Is this because I said Fatty was having sex at the battered women's shelter?

ROFL!

Today, two guys I know were having a beer at my bar.  One of them called me over to tell me a joke.   "What's eighteen inches long, blue, and makes women cry?"

I didn't know the joke, but I thought for a second and said, "A dead baby?"  The answer was "crib death," but it doesn't matter.  First, I got to spoil the joke by taking away the punchline.  Second, I got to make my own dead baby joke.  Two for one spoilage.  

That's the kind of thing that helps me get out of bed in the morning.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, I went to the link

Okay, I went to the link that Cpt_Pineapple provided to learn what it indicates about you, and I am soooo confused.  I showed it to my sister, and she's perplexed as I.  Could someone please explain some time soon why one will usually see it going a certain way, and so forth?  Because I cannot make myself see it going the other way, and I find it hard to believe that anyone could see it going that way!  It's driving me a little crazy, as well as my sister.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker wrote: Okay,

DrTerwilliker wrote:
Okay, I went to the link that Cpt_Pineapple provided to learn what it indicates about you, and I am soooo confused. I showed it to my sister, and she's perplexed as I. Could someone please explain some time soon why one will usually see it going a certain way, and so forth? Because I cannot make myself see it going the other way, and I find it hard to believe that anyone could see it going that way! It's driving me a little crazy, as well as my sister.

Agreed!  lol.  The other thread said this was merely an optical illusion.  For the record, it only spins counter-clockwise for me, no matter what I do.  I vaguely remember having to look at stuff like this as a kid for eye therapy.  I sucked at it then, too.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, no matter what, I see

Yeah, no matter what, I see it clockwise.  I can't comprehend how it can look two different ways!  Most optical illusions, I'm eventually capable of seeing both ways.  Grrrr, this is upsetting.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker wrote: Yeah,

DrTerwilliker wrote:
Yeah, no matter what, I see it clockwise. I can't comprehend how it can look two different ways! Most optical illusions, I'm eventually capable of seeing both ways. Grrrr, this is upsetting.

The only way I managed to turn it from counter-clockwise to clockwise was to watch the picture and then scroll the screen up and down so that part of it disappeared.  But it only turned clockwise when the entire picture wasn't in my vision.  As soon as I focused on the whole picture again it went back to counter-clockwise.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, after staring at it

Okay, after staring at it for awhile, I see it spinning counter-clockwise occasionally.  It's truly bizarre.  It's like it just switched on its own, and that kept switching back and forth now and again.  However, for some reason, when she's spinning counter-clockwise, it looks far more clumsy.  I don't get it.  I can't turn it on and off; it just happens.   Weird.

Big Willem
User is offlineOffline
When I imagine one of the

When I imagine one of the legs going behind the other leg, it turns one way. When I imagine the same leg going in front of the other leg, it turns the other way. After I started to do it like that, I could get it to change at will. But I do got a headache now.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can only see it spinning

I can only see it spinning clockwise, and looking at the trajectories of the outstretched foot and hand, I cannot see how it could be not spinning closckwise without violating wahat one would have to see from the apparent viewpoint around head height.

The foot is higher on the screen when going behind (assuming clockwise) which is exactly what makes sense when looking down. To reinforce that, at the point the foot is actually at that 'higher' point on the screen when the figure is closer to the floor as judged by the reflection, which would pull it down the screen.

On the original site, the two lists of attributes for left-right brain no way map cleanly to my own judgment of my 'nature' as an allegedly 'right-brain" type. In so far as those words make much sense in describing types of thinking, I feel I am such a mish-mash of things from both lists.

IOW, I am not particularly impressed by this. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
The image actually stops and

The image actually stops and turns the other way after a while.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, my head is killing

I agree, my head is killing me right now.  (doubt its related to this, but interesting none the less).

And yeah, I think in a lot of ways I fit the left brain right than the right (I took another test that said I was like 69% left, 31 right).  However, I do not buy into how something turns or how one answers a whopping 20 questions denotes who you are as a person related to the two lists of things.   

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook's guess was a good

I'm not sure how to interpret Rook's post. It seems like he's saying the animation has frames that show the figure turning one way then turning the other. If that's the correct interpretation, Rook's guess was a good one but not right. I loaded the picture into "Advanced GIF Animator". The animation consists of 38 frames showing only one revolution of the figure. The picture is a genuine optical illusion.

The more I look at it, I think the trick is the orientation of the mind toward the foot near the center. When the toe section of the foot becomes invisible, if you look at it as the toes going behind the heel then your mind orients the rest of the image as spinning one direction but if you look at it as the toes going in front of the heel then your mind orients the rest of the image as spinning in the other direction.

It should also be noted that when it appears the head is facing toward you or away from you, the animation is quirky. It seems there are two or three frames cut from the animation so it appears as if the leg swings violently fast at this moment. I think this plays a part in the illusion also. Perhaps these "missing frames" are plugged in by the mind of the viewer and this helps, in coordination with the foot illusion, the viewer to orient the revolution. 

At first I could only see the figure spinning clockwise; however, the more I look at the more I am able to make it spin the opposite direction.

This is a genuine optical illusion and a very cool one at that Smiling

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!