Left Brain vs. Right Brain

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Left Brain vs. Right Brain

http://info.break.com/static/live/v1/pages/brain/brain.html

Friend showed me this link today that was pretty neat. A picture of a spinning figure is displayed on the right side of the web page. If you see the figure spinning counter-clockwise, you are more apt to use the left side of your brain. According to the page, qualities of a "left brained" person are:

Uses logic, detail oriented, facts rule, words and language, present and past, math and science, can comprehend, knowing, acknowledges, order/pattern perception, knows the name of an object, reality based, forms strategies, practical, and safe.

If you see the figure spinning clockwise, you are more apt to use the right side of your brain. According to the page, qualities of a "right brained" person are:

uses feeling, "big picture" oriented, imagination rules, symbols and images, present and future, philosophy & religion, can "get it" (i.e. meaning), believes, appreciates, spatial perception, knows object function, fantasy based, presents possibilities, impetuous, risk taking.

I saw the figure spinning clockwise for about 15 seconds, then it started spinning counter-clockwise. I guess I'm not logical enough Very Sad

Also, if you blink really fast, the figure will appear to spin the opposite direction.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's pretty cool.  I

That's pretty cool.  I spun counter-clockwise for me.  I tried to blink and stuff but I couldn't get it to go the other way.

It's interesting because I'm left-handed and I've always been told that left-handed people are more right-brained. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
started clockwise for me,

started clockwise for me, but I was able to unfocus my eyes and it looked like it was going counter-clockwise after that.

I've never really believed in the right brain/left brain dichotomy, probably because I have a lot of tendencies of both. 

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
It turns counter-clockwise

It turns counter-clockwise for me, except for a couple of times it randomly started going clockwise. I tried clicking the refresh button several times in a row, and it swapped back and forth a couple of times, but now it's stuck on clockwise for me. That's nifty.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
It kept switching the

It kept switching the direction it was spinning for me.

Edit:

On second notice, If I concentrated I could make it switch. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm blinking, I'm

I'm blinking, I'm refreshing, I'm concentrating... It's still going clockwise.  I think I picked the wrong major. Sad

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's quite clearly

It's quite clearly clockwise!! I did try and get it to go the other way, but it only worked for half the spin when the stuck out leg was going right to left. It's the hair at the back, tied up, it won't let me turn it anti-clockwise. Grr, I want to be logical!

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I call shinanigins! this

I call shinanigins! this test is both rigged and false! wheres my damn broom?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Grrrr... I've already dealt

Grrrr... I've already dealt with this at another post...The only point of the test is it is a naked chick spinning in circles. Granted it is a pretty neat graphics trick but the girl randomly changes directions. You are buying into a hoax!!!! Blink, stare, jack off whatever you do the thing will change directions randomly.

Want proof? Save the image to your computer a dozen times and watch a dozen naked dancers go different directions at the same time.

Jeesh, next thing you know I'm going to be surrounded by a bunch of theists.

Moral of the story: don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Of course, maybe I am just a super-genius and use both sides of my brain at the same time, hmmm?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Grrrr... I've already dealt with this at another post...The only point of the test is it is a naked chick spinning in circles. Granted it is a pretty neat graphics trick but the girl randomly changes directions. You are buying into a hoax!!!! Blink, stare, jack off whatever you do the thing will change directions randomly.

Want proof? Save the image to your computer a dozen times and watch a dozen naked dancers go different directions at the same time.

Jeesh, next thing you know I'm going to be surrounded by a bunch of theists.

Moral of the story: don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Of course, maybe I am just a super-genius and use both sides of my brain at the same time, hmmm?

Son of a bitch!  I hate getting bamboozled.

If I wanted to see a naked chick spinning around, I'd just go to a strip club. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually saving it to my

Actually saving it to my computer and openning it in Photoshop where I could just go through all the layers only shows it moving on one direction.  It's a gif image that its kind of like a flip book.  I then went to the source code of the page, I didn't see anywhere where they had code to randomly change its flip order (if you can even do that).

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Due respect, but this is the

Due respect, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The only way to tell, without using FNIRS or NMR, fMRI etc. which brain-type a person corresponds to, is an official questionnaire set by research neuroscients. This is just a ridiculous optical illusion that you can get to reverse direction when you stare it long enough (analogous to those black and white markers used by psychoanalysts where you see X if you focus on the black and Y if you focus on the white). It doesn't work.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Seconding what Magus

Seconding what Magus said.

A trick could be done where a different image is loaded at run time, but I didn't see anything that suggested that. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is the same image, try my

It is the same image, try my test and open three or four at a time, They will go in opposite directions. Might be an optical illusion as DG says. But sure doesn't tell you anything about your brain.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Off the bat, I can't think

Off the bat, I can't think of another way they could be pulling a fast aside from at the level of a server-side script (PHP, ASP, etc.). The image has no ID, so it's very unlikely it's JavaScript randomly alternating images at intervals. You could call the image by index, but it's unlikely they would go through that. Yeah, optical illusion seems the most plausible answer. Like the inverted mask that "follows" you, or the old woman/young woman picture.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is incredibly easy to

It is incredibly easy to manipulate the direction the image travels using just your eyes. The image is black and has no back or front. Thus you cannot tell whether the leg that is raised is in front of or behind the leg that is lowered. This goes for every feature of the image. By simply 'seeing' the leg (or arms or anything) either behind or in front of the rest of the image you can change the direction you perceive it to be spinning in. It is an optical illusion.

I did a test to ensure that I was correct,

I saved the file and opened several of the images and watched them spin (as suggested). I watched them spin at identical rates and in the same direction, untill I decided to see them moving in the opposite direction. I then refreshed one of the browser pages and the image began spining at the same rate at the others, but was out of sync. That is, where one had the raised leg to the right, this one had it to the left. I allowed the images to play for several minutes and no change in the direction of the spinning occurred. When I chose to see the direction of the spinning reverse for the reloaded page, it did and the image was still out of sync with the rest, but still spinning at the same rate. I then reloaded the page again and the image was in sync and spinning at the same rate and in the same direction as the others.

I then minimized all the images but one and chose the direction I would see it spinning. I could change the direction I saw at will. I minimized that window and opened another and repeated the test and so on.

Conclusion: The image spins as you like, not randomly. Also, the image is not spinning, but 34 successive frames (I opened the image in Adobe ImageReady) are being loaded successively in approximately a 1 second period, giving the appearance of the thing actually spinning. It is imperfect as it does not contain enough frames per second to completely fool the eye. Specifically, frames 32 and 33 contain a larger gap in the orientation of the image than any of the other successive frames. The image also has to load after each 1-34 cycle is complete. The image always loads with the raised leg pointing to the 1 o'clock position no matter in what direction you perceive it to be spinning.

Edit: A person may perceive two images to be spinning in opposite directions when they are out of sync.  That is, when the images start the cycle at different times because they have not been loaded in sync.  You can test this by opening two of the images and reloading one page until they are out of sync or in sync.  You may see them spinning in different directions when they are out of sync, but you will be able to make your eyes see one spin in the same direction as the other even if they are out of sync.  You can even watch both spin out of sync and in the same direction for as long as you want without any change.  You can even 'see' both spinning in the other direction if you want.  The principle is the same as when it is one image; you simply have to look for it to spin in the other direction.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I should have posted

Sorry I should have posted this is total bollocks. It's just an optical illusion that can appear to spin both ways for any one person. I never intended for anyone to believe it was true without first researching it.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
The object is clearly

The object is clearly spinning clockwise. At first, the object flipped back and forth between clockwise and counter-clockwise as I tried to manage a point of reference, however, it simply spins clockwise.

When you look at the object, orient a N, S, E, W. Use her leg, as an example. When her leg is pointing away from you, it is in the N position. When it is pointing to the right, it is E.

Etc.

You'll also note that the shadow spins counter-clockwise, and the body spins clock-wise. If you use the leg as your point of reference, it will spin clock-wise. If you use the shadow as your point of reference, it will spin counter-clock wise.

However, the object is spinning clockwise when you use itself as it's point of reference. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
And the moral of this story

And the moral of this story is...

If you actually stopped to think about it, your left brain ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?