Ethical Fridays!

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ethical Fridays!

Every other Friday in my Religion & Philosophy class we have Ethical Fridays.  I was so interested in it I thought I would share some of the stories, mind you this one isn't all that good.  Tell me what you think!

A professor is walking toward his classroom at Jefferson University, he walks by a pond and notices a toddler is drowning in it. He knows he should save the baby, but he doesn't want his $400 shoes get get ruined(let's assume he has no time to take them off) nor does he want to be late to his class. He finally makes his decision and leaves the child to drown while he goes to his class.

I think that he should have saved the child's life, so what you'll be late to class, your students will understand once you tell them what happened.  I know I know the shoe part goes a little far but come on....who cares about $400 shoes when a child's life is in danger. I would jump in that pond no matter what. 

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous
"If God doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." -Anonymous

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, there's a runaway

So, there's a runaway trolley hurtling downhill towards five people.  You are on a bridge under which the trolley will pass before it kills the five people.  You happen to notice that there is a very fat man standing on the edge of the bridge.  You realize that you can push the fat man off the bridge and the mass of his body will stop the trolley, saving the five people.  Or, you can do nothing, and let the five people perish. 

What do you do?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: So,

Hambydammit wrote:

So, there's a runaway trolley hurtling downhill towards five people. You are on a bridge under which the trolley will pass before it kills the five people. You happen to notice that there is a very fat man standing on the edge of the bridge. You realize that you can push the fat man off the bridge and the mass of his body will stop the trolley, saving the five people. Or, you can do nothing, and let the five people perish.

What do you do?

Pray and hope for the best?

But seriously, push the fatty.

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
That man would have to weigh

That man would have to weigh 9453789534758937584 pounds to stop a "hurtling trolley" but I would probably push him if I could to save the five other people, losing one is better than losing 5.

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion, and he'll starve to death praying for fish." - Anonymous

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: That man would

Brion wrote:
That man would have to weigh 9453789534758937584 pounds to stop a "hurtling trolley" but I would probably push him if I could to save the five other people, losing one is better than losing 5.

If you were equally fat, would you push him or jump yourself? 

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
in reality, no....I could

in reality, no....I could probably barely move, but if I'm imagining it, my fat would hopefully absorb most of the damage and I might live /cross fingers

Fish
User is offlineOffline
And you're also okay with a

And you're also okay with a bunch of doctors kidnapping you and removing one of your lungs to save a dying patient, right? (you'll live through the procdeure, the other person would definitely die without a lung)

shikko
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

So, there's a runaway trolley hurtling downhill towards five people. You are on a bridge under which the trolley will pass before it kills the five people. You happen to notice that there is a very fat man standing on the edge of the bridge. You realize that you can push the fat man off the bridge and the mass of his body will stop the trolley, saving the five people. Or, you can do nothing, and let the five people perish.

What do you do?

I'm going under the assumptions that the deaths resulting from the trolley crash would be accidental, and that the person on the bridge actively wants to live, and that there's no way to get the five people out of the way, etc., etc.

That said: let it crash.

Causing suffering directly is worse than failing to prevent the same kind of suffering indirectly. Don't get me wrong: they're both bad, the latter is just less bad in my book. There is probably a limit to this (trolley crashes into nuclear bomb, vaporizing the town, but I'd then also be acting out of self-interest); I don't know where it is.

So to the "push him" crowd: how do you justify violently murdering one person to prevent the accidental deaths of five unrelated people? Is it a total sum of human suffering? Total loss of life? Something else?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, no. I would not

Actually, no. I would not accept the kidnapping part, without given permission, I think it's wrong. yes I contradict myself with the previous posts but boo hoo.  The doctor's could simply ask if anyone was willing to donate a lung, can you even live with one lung?

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: Actually, no.

Brion wrote:
Actually, no. I would not accept the kidnapping part, without given permission, I think it's wrong. yes I contradict myself with the previous posts but boo hoo. The doctor's could simply ask if anyone was willing to donate a lung, can you even live with one lung?

Yes you can live with one lung. Smokers sometimes have to have a lung removed for example.

Also, by "boo hoo" are you saying that you now don't think that it's okay to push the fat guy in front of the train, or are you saying that in that case you don't need permission?

Finally, what if the doctor asks you? Are you obligated to comply?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
By pushing the fatty you're

By pushing the fatty you're making a choice for him that his life is less than the lives of the other five.  Not really your choice to make. 

No way in hell would I jump in front of a trolley to save five lives.  Sorry, I like my life and it's more important to me than those five people's lives are, assuming these people are strangers.

I don't care if my lung could save some other person's life.  Well, that actually depends on the person, now that I think about it.  I wouldn't give up my lung for a stranger, but I might for a loved one.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
The boo hoo part was to me

The boo hoo part was to me contradicting myself in the other posts, my mother obsesses over it when I do that.

To the lung question, I have the right to decide whether or not to give him my lung or not. If the man was a heavy smoker and refused to quit even though he's losing a lung, then no....but if he made a commitment to quit then I would have to think about it.

P.S. great posts by the way, let's keep them coming! 

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: By

pariahjane wrote:

By pushing the fatty you're making a choice for him that his life is less than the lives of the other five. Not really your choice to make.

No way in hell would I jump in front of a trolley to save five lives. Sorry, I like my life and it's more important to me than those five people's lives are, assuming these people are strangers.

I don't care if my lung could save some other person's life. Well, that actually depends on the person, now that I think about it. I wouldn't give up my lung for a stranger, but I might for a loved one.

Then aren't you saying that those five lives are worthless to one man's life? and wouldn't you feel guilty over letting five people die over one? I know that I'd feel the same way over purposely pushing someone to their death. But losing one is better than 5 when you know you could have prevented it.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote: pariahjane

Brion wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

By pushing the fatty you're making a choice for him that his life is less than the lives of the other five. Not really your choice to make.

No way in hell would I jump in front of a trolley to save five lives. Sorry, I like my life and it's more important to me than those five people's lives are, assuming these people are strangers.

I don't care if my lung could save some other person's life. Well, that actually depends on the person, now that I think about it. I wouldn't give up my lung for a stranger, but I might for a loved one.

Then aren't you saying that those five lives are worthless to one man's life? and wouldn't you feel guilty over letting five people die over one? I know that I'd feel the same way over purposely pushing someone to their death. But losing one is better than 5 when you know you could have prevented it.

?

I thought you changed your position on pushing the fat man.

Or are you saying that it's okay for you to force someone to sacrifice himself, but it's not okay for someone to force you to sacrifice yourself?

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it bad if I just enjoy

Is it bad if I just enjoy pushing fat people in general?

Brion
Brion's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote: Hambydammit

shikko wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

What do you do?

I'm going under the assumptions that the deaths resulting from the trolley crash would be accidental, and that the person on the bridge actively wants to live, and that there's no way to get the five people out of the way, etc., etc.

That said: let it crash.

Causing suffering directly is worse than failing to prevent the same kind of suffering indirectly. Don't get me wrong: they're both bad, the latter is just less bad in my book. There is probably a limit to this (trolley crashes into nuclear bomb, vaporizing the town, but I'd then also be acting out of self-interest); I don't know where it is.

So to the "push him" crowd: how do you justify violently murdering one person to prevent the accidental deaths of five unrelated people? Is it a total sum of human suffering? Total loss of life? Something else?

You know what...you're right, I never thought of it that way. And now I feel like a total ass.

Anyone else have any more they would like to share, I'd love to continue this every friday, give me something to look forward to. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:

Brion wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't have the right to make that choice. It really doesn't involve me. I can only make choices that effect me.

Who is to say if those five people are worth more than one man?  I'm certainly not going to make that judgment call.  It's akin to playing god.   

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: No,

pariahjane wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't have the right to make that choice. It really doesn't involve me. I can only make choices that effect me.

Who is to say if those five people are worth more than one man?  I'm certainly not going to make that judgment call.  It's akin to playing god.   

The decision does involve you in that you are the only person standing on the bridge with the ability to push fatty over and save the five people. The fate of six people lies solely in your hands. By not making a decision you are essentially making the decision to do nothing and allowing those five people to die.

A strong ethical argument can be made in either case. I would argue that both actions are ethical and would not think less of a person regardless of which course they chose as long as they had the fortitude to accept responsibility for their actions. 

However, I think saying you do not have the "right" to make the choice is little more than dodging an ethical dilemma and trying to get rid of the responsibility. You have the right because you are there. No god, congress, dictator or...ahem....higher authority is going to come in and make the decision for you. Your ethical duty is to make a decision and then accept responsibility for the results.

As far as which decision I would make depends on who the five people are and what I think of the fatman. If they were kids he'd be over in a second, if they were bums the fat man would probably be in good shape. Average adults...well right now I'm thinking that if they don't have the sense to get out of the way themselves they probably don't deserve sacrificing the fat man's life. (I believe in darwinism) Of course, the decision would have to be made quickly so I would go with my gut. One way or the other, I would make the decision and would be prepared to live with it.

In summation, I will say that sometimes five people are worth more than one man but sometimes one man is worth more than five people. All people are born equal but fortunately some of us get over it. Sometimes you have to choose, even in real life. It might not be easy but it is your ethical responsibility to make the choice.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brion wrote:

Brion wrote:

A professor is walking toward his classroom at Jefferson University, he walks by a pond and notices a toddler is drowning in it. He knows he should save the baby, but he doesn't want his $400 shoes get get ruined(let's assume he has no time to take them off) nor does he want to be late to his class. He finally makes his decision and leaves the child to drown while he goes to his class.

He could have taken his shoes off and he could have made up for the lost class

Hambydammit wrote:

What do you do?

The best I could do is yell a warning. Killing the fat guy would result in my arrest for murder

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: The

Beyond Saving wrote:

The decision does involve you in that you are the only person standing on the bridge with the ability to push fatty over and save the five people. The fate of six people lies solely in your hands. By not making a decision you are essentially making the decision to do nothing and allowing those five people to die.

Son of a bitch, you're right.  That is so obvious I can't believe I missed it.  I'm ashamed. lol.

Beyond Saving wrote:
A strong ethical argument can be made in either case. I would argue that both actions are ethical and would not think less of a person regardless of which course they chose as long as they had the fortitude to accept responsibility for their actions.

However, I think saying you do not have the "right" to make the choice is little more than dodging an ethical dilemma and trying to get rid of the responsibility. You have the right because you are there. No god, congress, dictator or...ahem....higher authority is going to come in and make the decision for you. Your ethical duty is to make a decision and then accept responsibility for the results.

I suppose you're right to a degree. I wouldn't necessarily say that by claiming I don't have the right to make the decision of who dies is dodging responsibility.  Who am I to choose who dies? Then again, by doing nothing I'm still essentially choosing who dies.  Hmm.  

I still think that I don't have the right (perhaps that's not the right word?) to decide if a person lives or dies; in this particular instance no matter what I do someone is going to die.  I still wouldn't push over fatty. 

Unless of course the other people were friends or family or something.  Then fatty's going over.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
For anybody who doesn't

For anybody who doesn't recognize it, the trolley question is part of a series of questions that is known as the "trolley problem."

From Wiki:

The trolley problem is a thought experiment in ethics, first introduced by Philippa Foot, but also extensively analysed by Judith Jarvis Thomson and, more recently, by Peter Unger. Similar problems have traditionally been addressed by criminal lawyers and are sometimes regulated in penal codes, especially in civil legal systems. A classical example of these problems became known as "the plank of Carneades", designed by Carneades to attack Stoic moral theories as inconsistent. Outside of the domain of traditional philosophical discussion, the trolley problem has been a significant feature in the field of neuroethics, which tends to approach philosophical questions from a neuroscientific approach.

The answers given in this thread line up pretty nicely with the predicted results. There are some ethical constants that (more or less) cross cultural boundaries with regard to the value of human life.

The first of the trolley questions involves a switch that only you can flip. There are two tracks, and the trolley must go down one of them. Now, it is on its way to kill five people. If you flip the switch, it will go another way, and only kill one person.

Almost everyone agrees that it is good to flip the switch, and sacrifice one life for saving five. The reasoning is simple. Someone is definitely going to die. Either action you choose, someone is going to die, and none of them will be technically by your doing. So, this is essentially minimizing damage that is inevitable. Virtually nobody has a problem with this.

The fat man presents another problem. By pushing him, we aren't simply preventing a murder. We're committing a murder of someone who the trolley wouldn't have killed. Most people are against this. Generally, people are ok with side effects. Note that many people can easily justify their belief that sending an army off to war is ok, even though there will be civilian casualties. Casualties are, after all, a side effect of war, and the goal of the war is the primary purpose.

There's a lot to this problem, which is why it's so useful.  If you have twenty minutes, it's worth reading the whole wiki article for a good introduction to it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The decision does

Quote:

This is a utilitarian approach to the question, but it doesn't often pan out in real life. Most people would not actually push the fat guy, and would be able to justify their inaction. It's not just a blind equation in which lives are counted equally. Killing a man who would not otherwise die is enough of a taboo that most people would not do it, and would not see the five deaths as being directly their fault.

"What could I do? I couldn't kill that innocent man!"

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with the logic. It's perfectly reasonable. Human morality did not evolve from stictly utilitarian considerations, though. I'll post more about this later. It's a terribly interesting topic, I think.

Books about atheism

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Anyway,

Hambydammit wrote:
Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with the logic. It's perfectly reasonable. Human morality did not evolve from stictly utilitarian considerations, though. I'll post more about this later. It's a terribly interesting topic, I think.

True, most people probably wouldn't push fatty because it would be murder. In fact, I probably wouldn't in most cases but as I mentioned if it was five kids, or my family I would be far more likely to throw him overboard. pariahjane appears to agree with me on the point and I think many others as well. What does that say about our ethics (or lack thereof)?

But I think if you push it far enough, you will find the point where most if not all people would admit that fatty has to go over. Whether that is because of the five being family/friends or being a larger number like a hundred or a million people killed, at some point they will say kill fatty.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: In fact, I probably

Quote:
In fact, I probably wouldn't in most cases but as I mentioned if it was five kids, or my family I would be far more likely to throw him overboard.

The addition of mitigating factors changes the way people answer, further damaging the claim that morals are strictly utilitarian. Five kids, or five pregnant women (more people would push fatty to save pregnant women!) change the discussion considerably, as you mention.

Quote:
pariahjane appears to agree with me on the point and I think many others as well. What does that say about our ethics (or lack thereof)?

There are two important things to note. First, this is a thought experiment, not a real life experiment. What people say they would do (after having time to think, and realizing that they won't actually have to choose) is often very different from what they really do. Obviously, there's no way to ethically test the trolley dilemma, but there's a ton of evidence that people profess different morals than they actually have. It's not that they're dishonest, it's that most people don't know what they will do under pressure, and they don't know what it feels like to actually have another person's life in their hands.

Second, contrary to what theists will tell you, there really is no such thing as universal morality. You and pariah might well share a minority view on this matter, and all it proves is that there really are different ways of guaging morality.

Consider an environmentalist who believes that all animals have exactly the same right to life as humans. He would naturally conclude that human overpopulation is extremely bad. If the trolley were heading for five children, he might well conclude that letting the children die is the best thing to do. After all, each of those children is likely to reproduce at least twice in their lifetime. Since none have reproduced yet, it would effectively end 40 lives in just four generations' time (assuming two children for all descendents).

"Good" and "Bad" are meaningless unless they refer to something. In other words, I must say, "This is good based on these criteria," if good is to be measurable.

Letting five children die would be good based on the goal of reducing human population. Letting five pregnant women die would also be good.

Based on the criteria that innocent lives should be protected, it would be horrible to let the children or the pregnant women die.

If you ask an evolutionary psychologist, he'd likely say that the vast majority of people would still save the children even if they professed a belief that reducing human population is a good thing. I tend to agree with that statement, although you could certainly find exceptions if you looked hard enough.

Quote:
But I think if you push it far enough, you will find the point where most if not all people would admit that fatty has to go over.

With enough mitigating factors, yes. However, years of testing indicate that with no other data -- just "Fat Man" and "Five People" -- most people will choose no action. I'm not telling you that it's right or wrong. I'm saying that's the fact of the matter.

Quote:
Whether that is because of the five being family/friends or being a larger number like a hundred or a million people killed, at some point they will say kill fatty.

Absolutely true.

This proves that morality is not absolute, at least not in the simplistic terms that theists use: "Murder is always wrong," for example.

Books about atheism

Fish
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Beyond

pariahjane wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

Son of a bitch, you're right. That is so obvious I can't believe I missed it. I'm ashamed. lol.

NO. You are NOT the only person and the fate of six people's lives is not solely in your hands. Everyone seems to be forgetting that the fat person is also a person. If he decides to jump, then that would be a "good" thing in the sense that he would be sacrificing himself to save five other people, but not pushing him is not dodging responsibility. I don't see how I can be responsible for the actions of others, and in the trolley case, none of the actions involved are mine.

Not acting is not the same as acting. The distinction is easily blurred, as in the case of purposely not doing something for the express purpose of harming someone else. However, in the drowning child situation, consider that the child is no worse off if the man does nothing than she would be if nobody walked by at all.

How can you say that it's your responsibility to force another person to sacrifice himself to save someone else? If you can, how can you possibly justify not letting other people sacrifice you to save someone else?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
I introduced some kids at a

I introduced some kids at a math camp to the trolley problems and ethical questions.

Hamby, I was a little sad that you started in the middle. You're supposed to pose the switch question first, where a lot of people happily flip the switch to kill one person instead of letting 5 die, but then they aren't willing to push the guy to save the five.

It got a lot of the kids thinking when I pointed out the disconnect. 

I'm of the mind of not doing anything in either situation. If the only thing I know is 5 people or one person, I'll let it go as is. There's not enough information to make a sound decision and the value of human life can't be judged on sheer numbers (IMNSHO).

-Triften

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

True, most people probably wouldn't push fatty because it would be murder. In fact, I probably wouldn't in most cases but as I mentioned if it was five kids, or my family I would be far more likely to throw him overboard. pariahjane appears to agree with me on the point and I think many others as well. What does that say about our ethics (or lack thereof)?

But I think if you push it far enough, you will find the point where most if not all people would admit that fatty has to go over. Whether that is because of the five being family/friends or being a larger number like a hundred or a million people killed, at some point they will say kill fatty.

I do agree.  If someone I loved and cared about was about to die and I had the chance to save them at the expense of another, I'd imagine that I would.  

Hambydammit wrote:
There are two important things to note. First, this is a thought experiment, not a real life experiment. What people say they would do (after having time to think, and realizing that they won't actually have to choose) is often very different from what they really do. 

Definitely true.  I can say all I want to right now and that doesn't mean that I won't end up screaming frantically and completely unable to even think about saving someone.   

fish wrote:
Not acting is not the same as acting. The distinction is easily blurred, as in the case of purposely not doing something for the express purpose of harming someone else.

It's not the same thing, but you're still making a conscious choice.  I'm taking this exercise with the assumption that everyone else in the picture is completely helpless and I am the only one who has to do something.  Of course, this wouldn't happen in real life.  I imagine if I tried to push some fat guy in real life, he'd end up shoving my ass over in all likely hood. 

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the whole

Regarding the whole "fatty/trolley" thing going on here, I've got TWO reasons for not pushing the fatty:

One, the whole murder vs. letting innocent people die bit. I'd much rather passively let innocents die than actively kill them.

Second, and I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, is that if the fatty is so fat that he could stop the trolley just by getting in its way, he's also too fat for someone to push him into its path in the first place. Of course, if I tell Fatty McFattington to stop the trolley by getting on the tracks and he does (and successfully stops the trolley) then he's more of a hero than me.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
fish wrote: How can you

fish wrote:

How can you say that it's your responsibility to force another person to sacrifice himself to save someone else? If you can, how can you possibly justify not letting other people sacrifice you to save someone else?

I'm not saying it is your responsibility to sacrifice fatty, it is your responsibility to choose whether or not to sacrifice fatty.

As for allowing other people choose to sacrifice me to save someone else people try all the time. For the most part they don't try to sacrifice my life but they certainly like to sacrifice (take) my finances for the benefit of someone else. Although when I was in the military I was basically one life ready to be sacrificed for a bunch of people many of whom didn't particularly deserve a sacrifice.

If I was the fatman and someone pushed me over the edge (I couldn't jump over myself because I am so fat) I wouldn't be angry if I thought the five people were worth saving. If they are not worth saving, whoever pushed me better hope there is no afterlife because I would be waiting for them.

At the root of this whole discussion is the question of whether or not it is ethical to force an unwilling person to sacrifice for the greater good. My answer is, it depends on what sacrifice for what gain. Generally I think I would fall into the category of not forcing people to sacrifice anything most of the time. However, if we are living together in a society it seems to me that sometimes we have to force people to sacrifice. Where exactly that line is for me would take a much larger post and is really more political than ethical so I will refrain in this thread.  

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am i the only one who

Am i the only one who wouldnt push Fatty over the bridge... to save the lives of 5 idiots to inferior to See/Hear/Feel a train barreling at them... i mean come on! just walk 6 feet to one side of the damn tracks and they'd be safe. Survival of the Fittest, let the inferiors die...

Of course in an ideal world i would push fatty off after the train passed, in hopes he would die... as a man fat enough to stop a train dead in its tracks is a waste of Life/Space/Food on this planet... but then of course if i actually posessed the strength to actually pull off such a feat, i would be to busy being a Super Villian to notice the entire event ^_^ (man... im cruel)

What Would Kharn Do?

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: Am

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Am i the only one who wouldnt push Fatty over the bridge... to save the lives of 5 idiots to inferior to See/Hear/Feel a train barreling at them... i mean come on! just walk 6 feet to one side of the damn tracks and they'd be safe. Survival of the Fittest, let the inferiors die...

Of course in an ideal world i would push fatty off after the train passed, in hopes he would die... as a man fat enough to stop a train dead in its tracks is a waste of Life/Space/Food on this planet... but then of course if i actually posessed the strength to actually pull off such a feat, i would be to busy being a Super Villian to notice the entire event ^_^ (man... im cruel)

I think you just won this thread :D 

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

I think you just won this thread :D 

Indeed...? i wonder what marks the proffesor would have givin me ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

So, there's a runaway trolley hurtling downhill towards five people.  You are on a bridge under which the trolley will pass before it kills the five people.  You happen to notice that there is a very fat man standing on the edge of the bridge.  You realize that you can push the fat man off the bridge and the mass of his body will stop the trolley, saving the five people.  Or, you can do nothing, and let the five people perish. 

What do you do?

Well, Hamby, this is an instance where the law makes it very clear what the culture thinks is ethical.  You must stand and watch the five die.  If you push the fat man, you will have committed capital murder and will probably go to the chair in 15 years or so.

Curious, isn't it?  The law wants to take as much thought out of the hands of the citizenry that it would sooner see five die than one.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Second, and I'm

Quote:
Second, and I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, is that if the fatty is so fat that he could stop the trolley just by getting in its way, he's also too fat for someone to push him into its path in the first place. Of course, if I tell Fatty McFattington to stop the trolley by getting on the tracks and he does (and successfully stops the trolley) then he's more of a hero than me.

Damn literalists.

It's a thought experiment.  Not a real situation.  Picture me making a kindergarten-style raspberry in your general direction.

Triften, I started in the middle as kind of my own little experiment.  Get people's panties all in a twist, and then show them the difference when they hear the first one and realize how simple that decision is.

fish wrote:
You are NOT the only person and the fate of six people's lives is not solely in your hands. Everyone seems to be forgetting that the fat person is also a person.

It's a damn thought experiment!  Not a real situation.

Damn literalists.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTT!

Quote:
If he decides to jump, then that would be a "good" thing in the sense that he would be sacrificing himself to save five other people

But, what if you knew ahead of time that the five people he saved were actually terrorists on their way to blow up Grand Central Station?

Or, what if you knew ahead of time that Fatty is the only person who keeps the battered women's shelter from closing because he donates all of his free time and money?

Is self sacrifice always good?

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
What if Fatty only keeps the

What if Fatty only keeps the battered women's shelter open because it is the only place in town he can get laid?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What if Fatty only

Quote:
What if Fatty only keeps the battered women's shelter open because it is the only place in town he can get laid?

Stop stealing my thunder!  I was waiting for someone to come up with some sort of all or nothing statement about the value of what Fatty does for a living.

If there's anybody who hasn't seen it yet, that's the beauty of the trolley questions.  Any answer you give can be made "wrong" by the addition of a previously unknown piece of information.  Rather than prove the existence of some nebulous absolute morality, it illustrates that all moral decisions are based on limited information, and that what we perceive as good or bad is intrinsically linked to what measure we are using.  Good and bad can be different for different people.  If Fatty can't get laid, so he opens a battered woman's shelter and exploits a few of the women for sex, that's bad, right?  But... what if you knew that fifty women would not be killed by their husbands because the shelter is open?  It's consentual sex, after all, and it's only a few of the women out of hundreds that have come through the doors...

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: What if Fatty

Nero wrote:

You are such a dick.  Smiling 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's a good one.   You

Here's a good one.

You work on the top floor of the Empire State Building. You go out for lunch and have Taco Bell, with chili, mexican fries, and baked beans.

When you return do you take the stairs or the elevator?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: If I

Beyond Saving wrote:

If I was the fatman and someone pushed me over the edge (I couldn't jump over myself because I am so fat) I wouldn't be angry if I thought the five people were worth saving. If they are not worth saving, whoever pushed me better hope there is no afterlife because I would be waiting for them.

Screw that, I don't think anyone is worth saving more than myself.  But you're right, if I was fatty and someone pushed me over, they better hope there is no afterlife because I would spend mine making their living and dead years miserable. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

that's the beauty of the trolley questions.  Any answer you give can be made "wrong" by the addition of a previously unknown piece of information. 

Just for shits and giggles, attempt this on my total annihilation version... entertain me, im bored

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Well, Hamby, this

Quote:

Well, Hamby, this is an instance where the law makes it very clear what the culture thinks is ethical.  You must stand and watch the five die.  If you push the fat man, you will have committed capital murder and will probably go to the chair in 15 years or so.

Curious, isn't it?  The law wants to take as much thought out of the hands of the citizenry that it would sooner see five die than one.

The perfect rebuttal for anyone stupid enough to take an authoritarian view of ethics.

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Stop stealing my thunder!  I was waiting for someone to come up with some sort of all or nothing statement about the value of what Fatty does for a living.

If there's anybody who hasn't seen it yet, that's the beauty of the trolley questions.  Any answer you give can be made "wrong" by the addition of a previously unknown piece of information.  Rather than prove the existence of some nebulous absolute morality, it illustrates that all moral decisions are based on limited information, and that what we perceive as good or bad is intrinsically linked to what measure we are using.  Good and bad can be different for different people.  If Fatty can't get laid, so he opens a battered woman's shelter and exploits a few of the women for sex, that's bad, right?  But... what if you knew that fifty women would not be killed by their husbands because the shelter is open?  It's consentual sex, after all, and it's only a few of the women out of hundreds that have come through the doors...

Sorry Hamby Sad  I didn't realize that you were going somewhere with this.  I just came up with the only reason I could think of for helping battered women.  Obviously, any guy giving up all of his time and money in a place filled with women plans to get laid.  That's true of a bar, a battered women's clinic, or as the benefactor of a ballet company....

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Nero

pariahjane wrote:

Nero wrote:

You are such a dick.  Smiling 

Yeah, I am, aren't I?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Here's a good one.

You work on the top floor of the Empire State Building. You go out for lunch and have Taco Bell, with chili, mexican fries, and baked beans.

Pff... after a meal like that? i think its in all our best interests if i did not come back to work ^_^

But if i must come back to work.... the stairs, as a small enclosed space, such as your elevator, is no good after so much Mexi food

What Would Kharn Do?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Here's a good one.

Pff... after a meal like that? i think its in all our best interests if i did not come back to work ^_^

But if i must come back to work.... the stairs, as a small enclosed space, such as your elevator, is no good after so much Mexi food

If my supervisor is in the elevator, I'm taking it.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Just for shits and

Quote:
Just for shits and giggles, attempt this on my total annihilation version... entertain me, im bored

You mean this?

Quote:

The trick is to know what measure of good the decision is based on.  It appears that you're coming from an evolutionary point of view (a very strange one... but evolutionary nonetheless).  That is to say, those who perish ought to perish because they are not the "best" genes and won't help the species by reproducing.

So, I tell you that as a matter of fact, one of the five is blind and deaf from a childhood disease -- a childhood disease that has previously been 100% fatal.

He is the first human to have survived the disease, and though he has been rendered blind and deaf (and unable to know that the trolley will hit him) his descendents will be able to survive the disease even better, and eventually, it will become as inconsequential as chicken pox.. all because of this man's ability to carry on his line... IF he is saved from the trolley.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Sorry Hamby   I

Quote:
Sorry Hamby Sad  I didn't realize that you were going somewhere with this.  I just came up with the only reason I could think of for helping battered women.  Obviously, any guy giving up all of his time and money in a place filled with women plans to get laid.  That's true of a bar, a battered women's clinic, or as the benefactor of a ballet company....

Obvious to you and me, but that's because we're men and we're honest.  (Of course, we're not taking into account the possibility that he's gay or impotent...)

Anyway, no biggie... I'm just having fun with this thread.  I love this kind of riddle.

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

You mean this?

Quote:

The trick is to know what measure of good the decision is based on.  It appears that you're coming from an evolutionary point of view (a very strange one... but evolutionary nonetheless).  That is to say, those who perish ought to perish because they are not the "best" genes and won't help the species by reproducing.

So, I tell you that as a matter of fact, one of the five is blind and deaf from a childhood disease -- a childhood disease that has previously been 100% fatal.

He is the first human to have survived the disease, and though he has been rendered blind and deaf (and unable to know that the trolley will hit him) his descendents will be able to survive the disease even better, and eventually, it will become as inconsequential as chicken pox.. all because of this man's ability to carry on his line... IF he is saved from the trolley.

Yes, but Fatty's child will develop the vaccine to fight three deadly diseases and keep Lowland Gorillas on the planet.  Furthermore, Fatty plans to gift much of his fortune to RRS if he makes it to the bank that day.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Yes, but Fatty's

Quote:
Yes, but Fatty's child will develop the vaccine to fight three deadly diseases and keep Lowland Gorillas on the planet.  Furthermore, Fatty plans to gift much of his fortune to RRS if he makes it to the bank that day.

Nice.

But.... Fatty's second child will develop a deep and abiding hatred for his father based on Fatty devoting all of his time and energy to the first child.  In an act of revenge, he will detonate a small thermonuclear device somewhere in Philadelphia, killing all of the members of RRS, and thus thwarting Fatty's plan...

So, no RRS, and no disease resistant children either, but lots of Lowland Gorillas...

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Nice.

But.... Fatty's second child will develop a deep and abiding hatred for his father based on Fatty devoting all of his time and energy to the first child.  In an act of revenge, he will detonate a small thermonuclear device somewhere in Philadelphia, killing all of the members of RRS, and thus thwarting Fatty's plan...

So, no RRS, and no disease resistant children either, but lots of Lowland Gorillas...

Alright. *cracks fingers* I'm gonna go Asimov on you. 

The fallout from the nuclear device is conveyed to the African continent by upper atmospheric winds.  It rains upon the gorillas and causes multiple mutations.  SOme of the gorillas die from the mutations, others become incredibly intelligent. 

Eventually, they rise up and take over factionalized Africa and brings about peace on the continent.  Humans study the new civilization and become peaceful and symbiotic with the gorillas.

Nothing bad happens ever again.  Never.  Ever.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: The

Hambydammit wrote:

I know its unusual i just like to indulge it a little... i find it an entertaining extreme

Hambydammit wrote:

He is the first human to have survived the disease, and though he has been rendered blind and deaf (and unable to know that the trolley will hit him) his descendents will be able to survive the disease even better, and eventually, it will become as inconsequential as chicken pox.. all because of this man's ability to carry on his line... IF he is saved from the trolley

Interesting, but even if Blind and Deaf, he would still be able to litterally FEEL the train coming towards him. after all he is standing on railroad tracks....

give him a small circle of awareneess around his "Self", divide it into 4 quadrants... 4 directions to run, 2 will kill him 2 will save him... thats a 50% survival rate on just MOVING, add in the fact that he will be aware of his surroundings and he should have a 90% of survival on his own... if he is to inferior to survive in spite of such odds he would not be adding much to the gene pool even if he did survive... I think im trailing off here, bottom line, if he cant survive this on his own, he really is inferior.

Now that ive lost my total train of thought... i think ill end it here

(plz bear in mind that this is not my true viewpoint, that also made less sense then i thought it would)

(and in seeing your posts, plz keep in mind i killed off Fatty as well)

What Would Kharn Do?