Would this qualify as evidence to submit to Ray Comfort for evidence of evolution?! haha

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would this qualify as evidence to submit to Ray Comfort for evidence of evolution?! haha

This 95 year old woman has grown a horn from her forehead, This is obviously evidence of a transition from human to Rhino. What do you guys think? I don't think this story is fake.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=69680&in_page_id=2

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, that is just fucking

Okay, that is just fucking creepy.  *shudders*

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't really look real

It doesn't really look real - but that could always just be the angle or lighting...

If it is real I hope these doctors are doing more than just telling her it could be a hormonal imbalance.  It could be a tumor or something. 

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yuck. It looks like either a

Yuck. It looks like either a nasty tumor or crappy Star Trek makeup.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fucking hell. It's a bit

Fucking hell. It's a bit crazy but it actually shows the complexity of natural selection's products. We all have many genes that we don't use at all. We have all the genes to make a leg in the cells of our eyes. It's all about the environment in which cells form, a lot of which is determined by the genes themselves. i.e. you not only have the genes for eyes but genes for creating the environment in which eyes develop in the exact right place. It's highly possible that we've retained old genes which only require a certain environment to form again, a hormone imbalance could trigger it. Or alternatively a new mutation could've taken place here which resulted in the late sprouting of a horn.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really doubt it's genetic.

I really doubt it's genetic. If it's not fake, it's probably a tumor type thing. I seriously doubt anyone has genes for "grow a horn on your forehead when you're 95."

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote:

Pathofreason wrote:

This 95 year old woman has grown a horn from her forehead, This is obviously evidence of a transition from human to Rhino. What do you guys think? I don't think this story is fake.

(snipped URL)

It probably isn't a hoax:

Google Books link for a manuscript from the late 19th century.

Relatedly, the jackalope myth is due to a virus that rabbits can get that makes horn-like growths appear on their skin, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people susceptible to the same (or a similar) virus. See this link for details. (caution: for those who like cuddly widdle animals, those pics may be a bit disturbing).

[edited to remove reference to wrong link].

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.