Woman claims she spent 65 K on hair dye . . .

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Woman claims she spent 65 K on hair dye . . .

. . . which would have added up to 300K if it had been invested instead . . . Author Q&A: 'Goodbye to Hair Dye' (1 of 2) - AOL Coaches Marketing to us old farts, (over 40, I mean), or what? Apologies for the ramble, but I thought you would really appreciate this article, (possibly, if you're over 40), as I did, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. I've been noticing lots of little gray hairs and it doesn't really seem to concern me as much as the lifestyle/health issues, although I was at first dismayed to find the gray! The article points to some interesting explanations about the history of our perceptions of authenticity/aging versus health and vitality, and why some of us feel so much more strongly about the gray hair issue than others. For the most part, I stopped wearing makeup a long time ago because of my frustration over the marketing of inadequacy issues; and not wanting to do what I eventually perceived as "lying" about my image and appearance. Plus, it's such a hassle, but still there's the conflict over feeling and looking my best to the world and being true to myself, etc. On the other hand, I guess we can all think of clothing as a kind of "makeup" for our bodies, but clothing certainly has some other redeeming functionality, as well; however, I feel that makeup - (whether for the face or the hair) - mostly does not, except in cases where true physical, mental, and emotional damage impairs an individuals' ability to function and feel good in public. Unfortunately, in that regard, the fashion, hair- and face-makeup industry seems to hurt us just as much, if not more than it helps. This is particularly so in regard to chemicals and dyes used in hair and face makeup. Then there are other bordering issues of personal taste, style and authenticity. I mean, how authentic is it to have someone else's name pasted to your clothing, sunglasses, or even hairstyle? And is it really fair to judge anyone for buying into what their culture tells them is the best, newest, shiniest and most perfected "you"? Mostly, the makeup and hair color is such a lie and a hassle, that I seldom want to be bothered with it, and now that I know I don't want to be anyone's caretaker any more, finding a husband or lover with whom to have children is just irrelevant to my approach to my image. And since I'm no longer into nursing a baby, I suppose my breasts are purely decorative now - with or without a "designer" bra. Just wondering what others are thinking as they read this . . .

See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think she could have

I think she could have purchased over 560 1/2 gallon bottles of Crown Royal.  Don't you think that would have been a better use of the funds?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Crown Royal . . .

. . . ah!  Yet another chemical for impairing the body and the mind.  Its occasional use is acceptable, but in my case, perhaps best bought by the ounce, rather than the half-gallon.Cool 

My drinking has been drastically reduced due to chronic illness.  Oh well, like I said, I am more concerned with my health than my appearance lately!

timmah3209
User is offlineOffline
It's a poor reflection on

It's a poor reflection on our society that women feel like they have to change such a superficial attribute for acceptance.

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Agreed . . .

. . .  be it self-acceptance or acceptance by others.