Friend regressing in his beliefs. :-(

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Friend regressing in his beliefs. :-(

Ok, so my best friend is a christian, but only attends church at the insistence of family on Easter/Christmas. He's never been preachy, and never brought religion up. He has always said he believes in god, but he started to have a lot of doubts about the bible. He has even argued against others on parts of the bible being retarded (Noah's Arc, etc.) Fast forward 2 years or so, and he is with a chick that goes to church every Sunday, and all of the sudden he is acting like he is all religious.
We were talking about an important conversation he had to have with his brother, and all of the sudden he starts saying how he is going to pray about it before he goes to bed. Then he keeps on repeating how he needs to pray about this. I was speechless! My wife quickly changed the subject knowing that once I was done being shocked that I would say something about it. This isn't the only time he has said something that makes him sound very into religion either, he said something a few weeks ago that didn't seem like him too. I just kind of blew it off then, but now I'm concerned. He's had a lot of deep conversations with this chick, and I think she is filling his mind with Jebus. Ugggggh! This sucks. I honestly thought at one time, that he was on his way to shedding all the superstitious crap, but now it's way worse than ever.

Anyone else have friend get all devout on 'em all of the sudden?

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote: Anyone else

TonyZXT wrote:

Anyone else have friend get all devout on 'em all of the sudden?

No, not personally.  However I have become more interested in something I normally did - for example, painting - solely because I was dating someone who was into it.  I've seen other people drink more or go to certain shops/clubs because their new partner is into it and in that respect I think it is fine to share interests but it is sad that this is occuring with a belief.  It's one thing to try out a new dessert because someone you love recommends it but quite another to change your whole belief system.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your friend's new gf has

Your friend's new gf has the ultimate power card.  We all know what that it.  More than likely, he would sacrifice goats on an alter made of human remains if that power card is ...ummmm... powerful enough.  So, let him work through it. 

Eventually, he will come to his senses.  I suspect that will occur when blood begins filtering to his brain again.  In the meanwhile, let him have his little conversations.  He is probably being richly rewarded for them.  Laughing out loud

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well yeah...

Well I am sure you have heard the famous Rick James quote "Cocaine's a hell of a drug"

Well so is P@#sy! it will make people do things they normally wouldn't do and it clouds the brain. I have had many friends start going to church just to impress some Christian girl. Or vice versa. I think it's stupid.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Crocoduck
Crocoduck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your friend is trying to

Your friend is trying to control his brain stem.  People do the craziest things for (fill in the blanks):

(     ) - willow

(     ) - a-doodle-doo

Crocoduck - A missing transitional link that theists have been hoping does not exist...

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: In the

Nero wrote:

In the meanwhile, let him have his little conversations. He is probably being richly rewarded for them. Laughing out loud

Yeah, he is getting rewarded, and I will prolly be punished at the same time!  Problem is we are looking into renting a place together, so I'll have to listen to my best friend/roomie spout all this..."stuff".  Also his girl is a friend of my wife and I, and will no doubt get offended when she see's 'The God Delusion,' 'God is Not Great,' etc. etc. on my bookshelf.  I don't feel like walking on eggshells for any theist.  I will have to warn him ahead of time (as if he didn't know) that I won't hide my views from her just to satiate either of them.  It's already going to be an annoyance, I just don't want it to become a real issue.  Don't get me wrong, I'd go to bat for him like he's my own flesh and blood, but I won't compromise my morals in relation to my beliefs to keep the peace. 

I don't know what bothers me more; that it's him talking like that, or the fact that it seems like he was getting away from the BS, and now he seems more into it than ever.

How would you guys/gals deal with this situation? 

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or, perhaps, rather than

Or, perhaps, rather than assume that this girl is some airheaded bimbo putting him under a spell that she's actually an intelligent individual that may in fact be convincing him to abandon his previous misconceptions? 

"If I have a little money I buy books and if any is left I buy food and clothes.'

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote: Or, perhaps,

Scribe wrote:
Or, perhaps, rather than assume that this girl is some airheaded bimbo putting him under a spell that she's actually an intelligent individual that may in fact be convincing him to abandon his previous misconceptions?

Troll maybe?

If you had actually read my post you'd have noticed that she is a friend of mine aswell. I never insinuated her to be airheaded or anything of the sort, I have no problem with her whatsoever other than her misleading my friend. As a matter of fact I won't even call her out on that, just because I don't require my freinds to have the same Atheist viewpoint as me.

Were I a theist and this thread was about someone trying to deconvert my best friend to Atheism, you would probably have a problem there wouldn't you? Now for the record I never tried to deconvert him, he merely started to notice what a load of BS parts of the bible are, and the fact that different groups of people pick and choose which parts to live their lives by based on their own thoughts.

What previous misconceptions do you speak of? Like Noah's arc being a falacy? If you really want to debate that one go ahead and start another thread about it and I'll be happy to teach you what you need to know.

Crocoduck
Crocoduck's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote:   How

TonyZXT wrote:

How would you guys/gals deal with this situation? 

I wouldn't walk on eggshells.  I would allow him to make his own choices.  I would be his friend.  Best to you and yours.

Crocoduck - A missing transitional link that theists have been hoping does not exist...

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote:     Troll

TonyZXT wrote:

Troll maybe?

Tony:

Please leave it to the Mods to assign the label of "troll."  It is a way to avoid ad hominem fights.  Thanks.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Kudos for taking a stand on

Kudos for taking a stand on not hiding your "blasphemous" reading materials. This is the new order theists will come to know: if you proselytize, expect to be called on it. 

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Tony I had a pretty

Well Tony I had a pretty militant atheist friend become super Catholic not too long ago.