Old News with a new twist (hopefully)

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old News with a new twist (hopefully)

The only thing more interesting than a creaitonist appealing to the 2nd law of Thermal Dynamics to defend the falsity of evolution is their intuitive understanding of a system.  I say intuitive since I am not really sure what they mean by system other than they want to claim that the universe is a closed system.  Which to me, who barely passed high school physics with a C, sounds reasonable enough but again, I got a C in physics.  However, i think a very fundamental question is: what the hell is a system?  It seems to me that creationists want to claim that the universe is a closed system and that Natural selection is a closed system (which doesn;t really make sense to me either but I'll get to that later), it seems that, in their understanding of system, that it can apply to any group of objects that have function since the universe has a function, maintain all the objects and processes within it, and natural selection has a function, select benficial adaptations (as well as deselect the non beneficial ones I guess).  This means that any group of objects that has some sort of function can be a system in their view.  So what other group of objects has a function?  A family has a function (or many functions) since a family, not only produces offspring, but maintains and helps offspring function as well as having other functions within a larger system known as society.  Here is what this means.  When offspring from one family mates with offspring from another family, new information is introduced into the original family since the offspring from the different family is coming from an entirely different system.  What this means now is, even within a closed system, there can be an indefinite amount of open systems which can recieve new information from outside sources.  This also means, that with their own logic, natural selection must also be an open system since natural slection relies on families intermigling gaining or losing information in order for it to function properly.  Of course, can natural selection really be a system?  It is a process no question but does a process necessitate it being a system?  Its not like a family, in which, there is a definate product, offspring.  Nor does natural selection really dictate what offsrping must do, rather the offspring, as well as the enviornment, can effect natural selection.  Furthermore, its not like any offspring can stop the production of natural selection just as there are various things that can stop the production of a family such as infertility or death.  Anyhoo, aside from totally showing my lack of understanding of what a system is as well as the laws of thermal dynamics, the overall point is to show their lack of knlowedge of what a system is since, using princibles based on their understanding of the 2nd law od thermal dynamics, i showed how there can be numerous open systems within a closed system, thus, making their claim of "no new information can be gained" dubious since this depends on conditions of the system we are talking about.  For example, a family that inbreeds would be a closed system but this causes many problems since, well, no new information is gains, rather the same information is reddestributed creating a higher chance of getting deleterious traits.  So, it would seem that the universe, as a whole woudl require open systems to create variety.  Any thoguhts, questions, or corrections?

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
In physics a system is a

In physics a system is a choice of problem sort of.

You cant accuratley describe every fluctuation and variation in the real world, So when a physisist wants to describe the physical world he has to reduce the problem to an easy, simple, but hopefully useful model.  Instead of taking into acount the exact shape and air resistance of a ball, you do an aproximation. You do your calculations on a model of a spherical object, with uniform mass distribution and simple air resistance.  Only in this way can you manage to calculate the movement of balls Smiling.

This leads to the dividing of the world into systems. A system is a part of the universe you can safely make a matematical model of that you can be able to get results from.

So when someone says this is a closed system he means he can do sufficient calculations upon a model only taking into acount what is in the system, and still get a reliable model, and open system would be a system whose model would require an external unfluence, like a flow of energy or a influx of particles etc.

So if the universe is a closed system, no external energy or mass is needed to model it, or in this case is even defined.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos wrote: So when

thormos wrote:
So when someone says this is a closed system he means he can do sufficient calculations upon a model only taking into acount what is in the system, and still get a reliable model, and open system would be a system whose model would require an external unfluence, like a flow of energy or a influx of particles etc.

So am I kinda on the right track with describing a family as an open system?  Or am I wasy off by calling a family a system?

Quote:
So if the universe is a closed system, no external energy or mass is needed to model it, or in this case is even defined.

So creationists calling the universe a closed system is baseless, as far as physicists are concerned, unless they can provide an applicaple model based off this claim? 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

thormos wrote:

So am I kinda on the right track with describing a family as an open system? Or am I wasy off by calling a family a system?

Well perhaps. But humans and other biological things are not realy simple physical objects, As far as I know biologists dont work with systems in this manner.

illeatyourdog wrote:

Quote:

So creationists calling the universe a closed system is baseless, as far as physicists are concerned, unless they can provide an applicaple model based off this claim?

Well one could theoreticly say things about the universe without  having a model, just by calling it a closed system. No matter/energy being added etc.

There are physical models of the universe like the ones used to support theories of big bangs and sutch, that uses the universe as a closed system, these are ofcourse extreme simplifications of the universe that is based heavily on the comsmological principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle

I have no idea what creationists want to say by claiming the universe is a closed system though. 

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos wrote: I have no

thormos wrote:
I have no idea what creationists want to say by claiming the universe is a closed system though.

This will probably lead to another grand misunderstanding of theirs.  They beleive that by arguining for a clozed system, it means no new information could be added to a given lifeform, thus, making evolution impossible.  Which is why I tried to make sense of the claim by referring to natural selection and family as systems since that is the only way it makes any sort of sense.  I had a feeling my use of describing a mechanism, and even a family, as a system somehow inaccurate or unscientific but my goal was to point out holes in their own logic not neccessarily to correct them on scientific grounds Sticking out tongue.  It is nice to know what scientists, specifically physicists and biologists define or use systems in a different way (which would make sense whena you think about since they are radically different feilds).

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please, put a little

Please, put a little formatting in your posts.  It's very difficult to read posts that have no paragraph breaks.

Thanks. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.