Anton LaVey/CoS

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anton LaVey/CoS

Anton LaVey (Stanton Levey) was the founder of the Church of Satan. For those of you that are so goddamn label hungry, that, too, is a religion without a god. If your Buddhism doesn't pan out this week, try Satanism since you need a culture to wrap yourself in.

I love weird people. He was a plagarist, claimed to be a "psychic investigator", and that motherfucker even had a pet lion. And really, anyone that starts their own religion is just crazy enough to get on my list of interesting people. He went from being a hack organ player to head of his own religion.

So the Church of Satan claims to be a group of atheists that actually use science to explain things in their lives. They only use Satan as a symbol. BUT! That's bullshit because they believe in magic and rituals. That's not scientific in the fucking least.

Did you know that you have to pay a few hundred bucks just to be a Satanist? Fucking ridiculous. To my knowledge, you only get a card saying that you're a Satanist. If there's anything else, I don't know about it. I'm not willing to shell out a few hundred bucks to find out. I could use that same money toward college. There are no satanic masses anymore. You don't even get counted as a Satanist unless you come out as one. According to the church, they want to hide their numbers because if they had a large number they "would be perceived as a threat." And if they were small? No one "would take them seriously."

So what do the Satanists believe? They don't believe in Satan, but they call themselves "satanists" more or less for the shock value of it. According to the Satanic Bible, you're only allowed to do good deeds if you can get something out of it. That's just as bad as Christians being moral because they're worried that God will punish them. Now, in their defense, the Satanists are probably the most open-minded group as far as religious beliefs go. They encourage sexual freedom. They denounce discrimination of homosexuals. So like other religions, they have some good aspects, but you should really develop your own system of beliefs instead of looking to groups like the Satanists or the Buddhists or the Scientologists.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
/sigh... I was wondering

/sigh...

I was wondering when this would appear.

Before we get started on this topic, lets get it cleared up a little. I feel i should point out that Satanist beliefs are as varied (if not more so) then Christianity.

So varied in fact, that their not even sect's of the same "religion" but entities unto themselves.

Some do indeed, actually worship Satan, and even commit to ritual sacrifice.

Some are more Paganistic/Druidist with is own brand of what i will reffer to as "voodoo" magic... and unusual rituals.

My personal favorite would be the style of Satanism that is akin to "Self Worship"... mucho egoism (and egotism) in this category ^_^

Of course, theres also the group of jokers, that fake their Satanism just for the sake of being rebellious or to freak Christians out (awh come on, we've all done it at one point Eye-wink

Then theres... "Church of Satan" nuts that you spoke of, which just happens to be a combination of the last 3 styles that i mentioned... abeit with alot of sarcasm (if you didnt pick up on it)

So lets go back to the drawing board, and start this bashing again... properly this time... shall we?

What Would Kharn Do?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm kinda glad that someone

I'm kinda glad that someone brought up Satanism because alleged satanic practices had a big role in causing me to doubt my prior Catholic upbringing. 

Our priest would tell us that Satan worshipers would steal communion (the bread/wafer) during a mass just to torture it (typically burning but also saturating with ritual related blood, etc).  He also told us that people steal communion from the church because a Satanist would pay upwards of thousands of dollars for one.  (Kinda makes you want to start a bread bakery in your basement, huh?)  Of course, he added that they were only interested in communion that could be proven to have been consecrated.  He said people typically pull this off by accepting it in their hands and not putting it in their mouths, or accepting it orally in their mouths and then taking it out in private before it has a chance to disolve.  Of course we believed him... afterall, why else did they spend insane amounts of money on a gold, twice-locked chest for these wafers?!

I don't know if any of this was true.  I've read the Satanic bible and I didn't see anything about this in there - maybe I zoned out.  However, weather or not it's true isn't really the point as it seems Satanists are commonly misunderstood.

I got to thinking how he said even a crumb of the "body of christ" could be tourtured... Apparently, that's why they dilute their vessels with water - to disolve the crumbs so Christ couldn't be tortured.  Anyway, just the process of giving a person Communion would result in at least a few random crumbs on the floor.  Think of how many people receive communion with there hands rather than in the mouth directly!  Well my childhood brain assumed that they must shampoo their carpet to disolve Christ - but what about the fact that 500 people in the church are trampling him after one person loses a crumb!  I know this sounds insane, but I seriously cried over this thought of Christ being trampled.  (I was a kid, okay.)

Then one day I was silently refecting in the Church and the janitor came in.  This man vacuumed the carpet over the area communion was given!  I was astounded.  Here this priest tells us about how he has to get up every last crumb on the alter when saying the mass but then our beloved savior ends up in a vacuum bag?  Must have felt like a tornado.  

So this is what got me thinking how ridiclous all this was. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huzzah! Satanism saves

Huzzah! Satanism saves another soul...

roflmao

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

/sigh...

I was wondering when this would appear.

Before we get started on this topic, lets get it cleared up a little. I feel i should point out that Satanist beliefs are as varied (if not more so) then Christianity.

So varied in fact, that their not even sect's of the same "religion" but entities unto themselves.

Some do indeed, actually worship Satan, and even commit to ritual sacrifice.

Some are more Paganistic/Druidist with is own brand of what i will reffer to as "voodoo" magic... and unusual rituals.

My personal favorite would be the style of Satanism that is akin to "Self Worship"... mucho egoism (and egotism) in this category ^_^

Of course, theres also the group of jokers, that fake their Satanism just for the sake of being rebellious or to freak Christians out (awh come on, we've all done it at one point Eye-wink

Then theres... "Church of Satan" nuts that you spoke of, which just happens to be a combination of the last 3 styles that i mentioned... abeit with alot of sarcasm (if you didnt pick up on it)

So lets go back to the drawing board, and start this bashing again... properly this time... shall we?

Was the title of this topic "Satanism"? I think not. It's clearly about the Church of Satan. You'd be correct in what you said if I had made this a topic called "Satanism and the bullshit of its various forms."

But yeah... Satanism is just as formless as Wicca. It's a Mad-Lib religion, really.

You also forgot the Temple of Set, which is an offshoot of the Church of Satan. The Temple of Set actually does believe in Satan; however, I don't think they perform sacrifices as you've stated, so that's why they shouldn't be lumped into that group. Not that you did, but I wanted to distinguish their brand of bullshit from some of the others.

That said, let's go back to the drawing board and read the full post next time instead of glossing over it just to make a reply that knocks someone, shall we? Ass.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I got to thinking how he said even a crumb of the "body of christ" could be tourtured...

Then one day I was silently refecting in the Church and the janitor came in.  This man vacuumed the carpet over the area communion was given!

Shit... Think of all the beatin' and bangin' Jesus got while being tossed into the vacuum.

I doubt that people went to a lot of trouble to get Jesus crackers, but I'm sure there have been cases of some nuts stealing them for stupid shit like "tainting" it. They didn't necessarily have to be Satanists, though. Some people will fuck corpses, so I don't put anything past anyone anymore.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well

What a better way to make some money and get Tax exempt status.

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: What a

Pathofreason wrote:

What a better way to make some money and get Tax exempt status.

The Church of Satan doesn't have tax exempt status.

1. They claim they don't want it. *cough* bullshit *cough*

2. They don't tell who they members are, so there is no real way to say how many people classify themselves as members of the Church of Satan.