Atheism and Buddhism

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism and Buddhism

Its been quite some time since i posted here! But ive had something on my mind that i want to discuss with fellow atheists... Its about Buddhism and Atheism. Ive done some research on Buddhism and I really found a lot of similarities between the two. I consider myself as now Atheist/Buddhist...

So, what you all think of this. For those of you who dont know, Buddhism isnt a religion and i still cant figure out why people call it one. There is no worshipping or reading ridiculous stories about how magic beings created people from ribs of another or anything like that...

I think thats why i like it, plus the whole "Dont kill people OR animals..." The whole idea of buddhism is to help people and things that are suffering in order to become enlightened... Doesn't atheism also follow these ideas  as well? Like help your fellow man?? I my opinion yes it does...

So whats everyones viewpoint? Is it irational to consider one's self Atheist and Buddhist? Based on what i previously said, i think its perfectly rational since all in all Atheism and Buddhism are philosophies with generally the same idea..  

Religion has been the ball and chain for humanity long enough. Set yourself free...

Switch89
User is offlineOffline
How exactly does Buddhism

How exactly does Buddhism contribute to your life and how would one start practicing it.

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont think I can say it

I dont think I can say it contributes to my life. Well, it contributes something like motivation to do good things, just as atheism does. However Buddhism covers points atheism does not and vice versa... Which why the two pair up quite nicely... An example of this would be Buddhism advocates not only to help your fellow man, but other beings as well... Atheism on the other hand advocates scientific research. They are intertwined with each other in my opinion because Atheism advocates doing good things as does Buddhism. Buddhism advocates science as well.

Read this wikipedia document on Buddhism and science, its very interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_science

So Why bother mixing the two some of you might be asking? The purpose is to have an even broader view of the world! Pairing them makes an atheist or a Buddhist more rational, open minded, intelligent, and more compassionate...

Those attributes are something a lot of people in general lack, which is why things like religion exist which would make us better off if they didnt exist...

As for practicing buddhism, I would say one would practice it just as he or she does Atheism... That is, by doing good things, reading, meditating, and thinking about what The Buddha is teaching you. 

Religion has been the ball and chain for humanity long enough. Set yourself free...

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
During my agnostic period, I

During my agnostic period, I looked at Buddhism, but I determined that, as with other religions, the good parts of that religion could easily be figured out on your own. You don't need Buddhism. You can be happy on your own. You can develop your own moral system and way of life on your own. You don't need some dead fat man's generalizations and vague statements. You can think for yourself.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even though I would agree

Even though I would agree Buddhism is not a religion, there are two beleif claims that all BUddhists hold to with no real evidence to back it up: 1) Reicarnation 2) Nirvana.  Both are incredibly fascniating metaphysical viewpoints to hold but, reincarnation at least, requires a bit too much blind faith to buy into.  Nirvana, on the other hand, is just their uderstanding of nothingness.

IN regards to teh question about how does one follow buddhism, well that is outlined on the 8-fold path which, as has been put already, pretty striaght forward and basic since they are suggestions like don;t try to hram anything, don't be too prideful, etc.  Almost the exact opposite of any modern monotheistic doctrine of "Thou shalt" type commandments coming from an external entity which cannot be defined.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
DarkNexus wrote: Its been

DarkNexus wrote:

Its been quite some time since i posted here! But ive had something on my mind that i want to discuss with fellow atheists... Its about Buddhism and Atheism. Ive done some research on Buddhism and I really found a lot of similarities between the two. I consider myself as now Atheist/Buddhist...

So, what you all think of this. For those of you who dont know, Buddhism isnt a religion and i still cant figure out why people call it one. There is no worshipping or reading ridiculous stories about how magic beings created people from ribs of another or anything like that...

I think thats why i like it, plus the whole "Dont kill people OR animals..." The whole idea of buddhism is to help people and things that are suffering in order to become enlightened... Doesn't atheism also follow these ideas as well? Like help your fellow man?? I my opinion yes it does...

So whats everyones viewpoint? Is it irational to consider one's self Atheist and Buddhist? Based on what i previously said, i think its perfectly rational since all in all Atheism and Buddhism are philosophies with generally the same idea..

Reincarnation makes buddhism a religion. Karma does as well. Plus, well, some sects worship Buddha, or the Dali Lama. And buddhists often pray. In fact, many buddhists count themselves as hindus

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, anyone can lable

Well, anyone can lable things what they want and lables change based on peoples definition. My definition of a "religion" is similar to what i see in most dictionarys:

beliefs and worship: people's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life

Buddhism does not fall under that definition, The Budda is not a god. However i found this definition as well:

personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

By that definition, you could even call atheism a religion. How does the belief in reincarnation make Buddhism a religion? Does that mean the belief in anything far fetched is a religion as well like faster than light travel? On the subject of Buddhists praying, i dont think their version of prayer is the same as a religion such as Christianity. Praying is addressing a Deity, since there is no Deity in Buddhism, there actually is no prayer. 

I personally dont believe in reincarnation. How could I, there is no possible way to test that idea, (currently) nor is there any evidence to support such a thing.  So really i dont fully agree with  things like that in  buddhism.. But then again, im  still very  new to this philosophy...

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Buddhism is both

Buddhism is both religion and philosophy. One can follow it's philosophical part without following the religious side. The other  part is it really depends on which sects you are talking about, some are far more religious than philisophical, and others more philisophical than religious.

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can agree with that. I

I can agree with that. I should have specified that I am part of the "philosophical" part of buddhism... The main factor in my movitation to select this secondary lable was to distance myself from the stigma of atheism. Most people thing atheists are horrible, evil, bad, etc type of people...

I didnt select buddhism to help me find my ethics... I had already found them way before this... It was these ethics i previously had which gave me the idea and reason to select buddhism, since essentially I had the same ideas as a buddhist... So in summary:

I am an atheist who does not worship any deity or believe in any supernatural powers. I do however, possess the positive ethics of a Buddhist... That is what I want society to read my lable as... 

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
DarkNexus

DarkNexus wrote:

personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

By that definition, you could even call atheism a religion.

That's bullshit because then political views can become religions. Now, some people act like politics is religion, but that ain't so, Jack.

I get that you call yourself an atheist because you don't believe in a god, but you hold to the tenets of someone that has been worshipped by some as a god. So... if I followed the teachings of Christ, but said I didn't really believe in him, wouldn't that, to some, make me a Christian?

I just wonder why you feel you need Buddhism. Can't you make your own decisions about life? I'm not trying to belittle you, but can't you make up your own value system and morals like the rest of us? We base our lives on soceital norms, our inherent sense of right and wrong, the lessons from our parents, etc. I don't think you need Buddha to teach you how to live. That said... if you want to be a Buddhist, that certainly is your choice and I respect your decision. I disagree with it, as you can clearly see, but I respect your choice.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just posted this in

I just posted this in another thread, and it works here

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Benfromcanada wrote: I just

Benfromcanada wrote:
I just posted this in another thread, and it works here

I think he is drastically oversimplfying the beleif system of Buddhism.  Granted, various sects beleive incredibly bizarre and absurd things but, unlike Christianity for example, it is not neccessary for them to do so.  Nor is it neccessary for them to do so.  All we have to go on, in regards to any definite things that must be done in Buddhism, are the Four Noble Truths and the 8-fold path (as well as the middle way and the three jewels possibly).  Which leads to the one real cristicism of BUddhism: it is too vague.  Another key difference is, unlike the beleif in Jesus where Jesus is always right and jesus is the exemplar and everyone must be like him, Siddarth Guatama actually encouraged his followerers to do the exact opposite and test his teachings to see if they work.  If don;t work, then they are free to try something else.  Which is why there are so many different sects of Buddhism becuase they felt a certain teaching wasn;t working for them and tried something else.  Also, it is unfair for him to take a random quote from a website and treat it as if its representative of all buddhists since it clearly is not.  And no, I am not a buddhist, I just feel that the tactics used to argue against various forms of montheisms cannot be applied to Buddhism since they are almost exact opposites in terms of core beleifs or core teachings.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm joining Scientology. It

I'm joining Scientology. It has no god. I'm not going for the whole aliens thing or anything lie that... That's crazy! However, I'm going to shell out all the money to keep up with it, not see any physcians, hound people that criticize me by threatening them with baseless lawsuits, essentially deny the holocaust, and... You get the point? It's fucking stupid to grab shit from one belief system just so you can have a fucking label. If you're an atheist, you're an atheist. If you're a Buddhist, say you're a fucking Buddhist. Grow some balls. Say what you are. If you're ashamed to be an atheist, yet identify with Buddhism more... GUESS WHAT! You're a Buddhist! Well, rub my belly and give me all of your worldly possesions! I think I hit the nail on the fucking head. And I'm only coming off as angry. Right now, I'm eating Poptarts and drinking Coke. I'm actually pretty mellow right now, but I feel like I need to get my point across and "it's okay" hasn't worked before and now we got this other asshole justifying it. "And then there's this asshole..." That's the sense of word. I don't really know you, so I don't necessarily think you're an asshole. You know that a lot of what Buddha says is what Jesus said and what the Old Testament said and what parts of the Koran have said and what a lot of secular philosphers have said? Are you going to take their labels, too? If you're looking for a label, then call yourself whatever you like, but if you're looking for a life path, the best way to go is DIY. You don't need a label. It's like that bullshit hyphenated American stuff. Don't look to others for advice on how to be yourself, just be yourself. You don't need to meditate and chant to calm down. Eat Poptarts and drink Coke. Fuck it... relax in whatever way you can. That's the trick behind Buddhism. If every time you get mad, you pause and collect yourself, you'd probably seem fairly calm. BUT! You'd have pent up anger. That's not healthy for anyone. "To deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human." That's from the Matrix. I figured I'd throw it in since we were talking about philosophical bullshit.

Cleveralias
Cleveralias's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snerd wrote:

Snerd wrote:
DarkNexus wrote:

personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

That's bullshit because then political views can become religions. Now, some people act like politics is religion, but that ain't so, Jack.

I would respectfully disagree. What you say is true if you limit your definition to theisic religion but there are other kinds of worship. Buddism is unique in being the only major world religion that makes no claim of divine revelation. In most modern totalitarian regimes fascist leaders have created secular religions that place themselves at the godhead - Stallin did this in the USSR and Kim Il-sung has done it in North Korea. Even here in the United States you can observe the elements of a civil religion - with Lincoln as the father god and Kennedy as the christ figure (bit of a stretch but it makes for interesting discussion).

Technically faith is just the opposite of paranoia - the irrational belief that someone is out to help you ~ The Vandingo

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: I

illeatyourdog wrote:

I think he is drastically oversimplfying the beleif system of Buddhism.

That is exactly what im trying to say... I think labels are stupid... However like them or not, thats how the world works... The world labels everything... So, I decided to use this secondary Buddhist label as a way to remove the sigma of Atheism..

Its unfortunate that I would even have to search for a secondary label, but you have to remember most theists are really closed minded... I dont want someone to hate be just because they think i lack good ethics..

To be clear with what im saying, to have "good ethics" does not require one to be a part of a religion. Obviously a true atheist has good ethics, BUT the world has labeled them as having BAD ethics because they are atheist...

So to convey this fact that I have good ethics even though I am atheist, I tell them i identify with buddhism... The world has labeled a true buddhist as having good ethics, ethics which i already possess... But most people speak in the language of labels, making it nessesary for me to have this secondary label.

In Summary the label tells this to the world:

I am atheist, but i am not a bad person... 

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think a distinction needs

I think a distinction needs to be made between Eastern, traditional Buddhism, of which there are many, many sects from Tibet and Northern India to Theravada Buddhism in Thailand to Zen Buddhism in Japan (which, historically, propped up the Fascist god-king/emperor there before and during WWII) .. and the Western-conception of Buddhism (esp. in relation to the modern New Age movement, the "Me" generation and the upper-middle-class dropouts who fancy themselves hippies) ...

Traditional Buddhism is very much a religion, with an extra- or supernatural realm, full of demons and gods, even a hell ... underlying the whole system is Karma, which is a cosmic force that is un-falsifiable (thus not ameanable to scientific investigation), like God, or sin, or the devil, etc.

Modern, Western, New Age Buddhism is very much (1) cherry-picked and (2) seen as an exotic escape from the banality of American decadence and traditional, western religion ... People who want to appear to be deep or mystical will often misappropriate the title 'Buddhist' to piss off Dad, or get a girl to like them, without fully comprehending the nastier aspects of the tradition ...

I'd consult Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God", esp. the chapter, "There is no Eastern Solution" - there she recounts her flirtation with Buddhism, which ended when, after seeing a horribly deformed boy in Thiland, is even more shocked when the Buddhist nun taking care of him remakrs, "It is terrible - he must have done something awful in his past life to deserve this."  The obvious moral: no child "deserves" to live with the alienation and pain of deformity - they didn't "ask for it" by doing wrong "in a past life" and no matter how liberal your form of Buddhism is, you have to, have to, have to believe that he did indeed ask for it - it is the foundation of the faith ... and that is monstrous.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Cleveralias
Cleveralias's picture
User is offlineOffline
While I respect your intent

While I respect your intent you are making 2 fundamental mistakes:

1- Athiesm says nothing about a persons ethics, politics, height,weight or what they had for breakfast . To state, "I am an athiest" means ,"I am convinced there is no god" and nothing else. There are fascist athiests, agnostic athiests, strong athiest etc

2- Attaching the label of a world religion to your self identification will do nothing for your image in the minds of the religious other than those who use the same label - if you live in California or the far east calling yourself a buddhist might help you "go along to get along" in Uncle Tom speak but Christians and Muslims will still be suspicous of you - southern baptists hate catholics and suni hate shia, you will never be able to please everyone . You are playing into a game you cannot possibly win. History has proven appeasment to be a self destructive policy.

Most former thiests I know go through a questing phase before rejecting mysticism all together. When I abandoned my catholic upbringing I flirted with all sorts of alternative BS - from Kaballah, to  Taoism, to Golden Dawn Hermetics and even LaVey's satanism and Hubbard's scientology. While I learned from each of these traditions I ultimately rejected all of them because eventually my reason was able to find the flaws in each. 

If you are afraid to publicly admit your athiesm that is fine, but don't try to appease and mollify the believers - you are better off just avoiding the subject all together and refusing to define yourself by other peoples labels and keep your responses to specific issues when entering political/philosophical discussion.  My advice is to continue your education and develop a philosophy that provides you  courage to speak your own beliefs with conviction.

Technically faith is just the opposite of paranoia - the irrational belief that someone is out to help you ~ The Vandingo

DarkNexus
DarkNexus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snerd wrote: You know that

Snerd wrote:

You know that a lot of what Buddha says is what Jesus said and what the Old Testament said and what parts of the Koran have said and what a lot of secular philosphers have said? Are you going to take their labels, too? If you're looking for a label, then call yourself whatever you like, but if you're looking for a life path, the best way to go is DIY. You don't need a label.

I do understand what you are saying Snerd and i do agree! But i think what i have said isnt clear based on what you said. But i was thinking earlier. You said that buddha, Jesus, and other figures have the same Ideas... Of course they are generally the same. Human thought process is the same even in different cultures...

Now, what proof do I have of this. Heres an example. Most human societys have developed similar technologies even though they are radically differnet cultures. Take the Bow and Arrow for example. Europeans had it, Asians had it, North american Indians had it... But they were all different peoples. So, based on this fact, its not surprising that the people say some of the same things...

Does that make sense? People are normally inheriently good, good as in they want to help other people and other beings... Add in they have similar thought processes and then you end up with a lot of relation!

Oh btw, i dont think youre being angry to me or anything like that. I enjoy debating with you since obviously you are intelligent and not a moron. Debating is good, i may find some inconsistant things in my arguements or see something I didnt see before you argued that point. So please, do continue! 

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cleveralias wrote: Snerd

Cleveralias wrote:
Snerd wrote:
DarkNexus wrote:

personal beliefs or values: a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by

I would respectfully disagree. What you say is true if you limit your definition to theisic religion but there are other kinds of worship. Buddism is unique in being the only major world religion that makes no claim of divine revelation. In most modern totalitarian regimes fascist leaders have created secular religions that place themselves at the godhead - Stallin did this in the USSR and Kim Il-sung has done it in North Korea. Even here in the United States you can observe the elements of a civil religion - with Lincoln as the father god and Kennedy as the christ figure (bit of a stretch but it makes for interesting discussion).

But in the fascist regimes, the people had no real choice. It was either bow down or be killed. As for Lincoln, just because people like what he did for the nation, doesn't mean people think he's a god. Same thing with Kennedy. Kennedy was a fuck up. People might have a certain nostalgia for his presidency, but I don't think that can honestly be considered a form of worship. Admiration and nostalgia do not a religion make.

Cleveralias
Cleveralias's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snerd - I'm starting another

Snerd - I'm starting another thead in Freethinking Anonymous to continue this discussion

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
I'd consult Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God", esp. the chapter, "There is no Eastern Solution" - there she recounts her flirtation with Buddhism, which ended when, after seeing a horribly deformed boy in Thiland, is even more shocked when the Buddhist nun taking care of him remakrs, "It is terrible - he must have done something awful in his past life to deserve this."  The obvious moral: no child "deserves" to live with the alienation and pain of deformity - they didn't "ask for it" by doing wrong "in a past life" and no matter how liberal your form of Buddhism is, you have to, have to, have to believe that he did indeed ask for it - it is the foundation of the faith ... and that is monstrous.

Again, you cannot take a random quote from a random believer and feel it is representative of all buddhists or even of the core teachings of buddhism.  Now do all BUddhists schools teach the concept of Karma? Probably.  Do all buddhists schools agree on how Karma works exactly?  No.  You might want to reply "the same can be said about the teachings of jesus".  Perhaps but Jesus was pretty clear that eternal damnation, however a certain sect wants to describe it, is something you do not want to go and the only way to escape was to follow him, thus, making the punishment/reward system concrete in the teachings of Christianity.  Essentially, it is possible for someone to "work off" Karma in their lifetime without having to become a buddhist or a followerer of the Buddha.  In Christianity, you are shit out of luck unless you read the new testament everyday and worship Jesus.  To be clear, I am nottrying to show that BUddhism is better than Christianity, rather, I am trying to show how different Buddhism really is from Christianity.  The only two areas of attack one can make on Buddhism is the beleif in reicarnation and the overall vagueness of it since reincarnation is entirely faith based and vagueness doesn't really provide any answers (of course Buddhism is supposed to help one FIND the way, not necessarily be THE Way).

ArianeB
ArianeB's picture
User is offlineOffline
My own beliefs, morals,

My own beliefs, morals, metaphysical ideas, etc. I have come to via rational thought.

I believe that what is often called "spirituality" is actually an important function of the brain and should be pursued through meditation. It is not of "divine" origin.

I am also a big fan of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics, especially the parts about virtue being a moderate between extreme vices, and where all virtues are linked -- people that lack one virtue tend to lack most virtues -- which is pretty darn close to Karma. 

I will admit that my beliefs are "compatible" with Buddhism, but I will not go as far to say "I'm a Buddhist". 

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

Again, you cannot take a random quote from a random believer and feel it is representative of all buddhists or even of the core teachings of buddhism.  Now do all BUddhists schools teach the concept of Karma? Probably.  Do all buddhists schools agree on how Karma works exactly?  No.  You might want to reply "the same can be said about the teachings of jesus".  Perhaps but Jesus was pretty clear that eternal damnation, however a certain sect wants to describe it, is something you do not want to go and the only way to escape was to follow him, thus, making the punishment/reward system concrete in the teachings of Christianity.  Essentially, it is possible for someone to "work off" Karma in their lifetime without having to become a buddhist or a followerer of the Buddha.  In Christianity, you are shit out of luck unless you read the new testament everyday and worship Jesus.  To be clear, I am nottrying to show that BUddhism is better than Christianity, rather, I am trying to show how different Buddhism really is from Christianity.  The only two areas of attack one can make on Buddhism is the beleif in reicarnation and the overall vagueness of it since reincarnation is entirely faith based and vagueness doesn't really provide any answers (of course Buddhism is supposed to help one FIND the way, not necessarily be THE Way).

There is simply no evidence to support the notions of karma, reincarnation or substitutional atonement (the buddhist version, not the christian one ...)  I totally understand that Buddhism and Christianity are seperate belief systems, and there are non-theistic aspect of Buddhism ... but both are equal in the sense that they both have the same amount of evidence supporting their metaphysical claims: zero.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: I

illeatyourdog wrote:

I think he is drastically oversimplfying the beleif system of Buddhism. Granted, various sects beleive incredibly bizarre and absurd things but, unlike Christianity for example, it is not neccessary for them to do so. Nor is it neccessary for them to do so. All we have to go on, in regards to any definite things that must be done in Buddhism, are the Four Noble Truths and the 8-fold path (as well as the middle way and the three jewels possibly). Which leads to the one real cristicism of BUddhism: it is too vague. Another key difference is, unlike the beleif in Jesus where Jesus is always right and jesus is the exemplar and everyone must be like him, Siddarth Guatama actually encouraged his followerers to do the exact opposite and test his teachings to see if they work. If don;t work, then they are free to try something else. Which is why there are so many different sects of Buddhism becuase they felt a certain teaching wasn;t working for them and tried something else. Also, it is unfair for him to take a random quote from a website and treat it as if its representative of all buddhists since it clearly is not. And no, I am not a buddhist, I just feel that the tactics used to argue against various forms of montheisms cannot be applied to Buddhism since they are almost exact opposites in terms of core beleifs or core teachings.

Oversimplifying? Possibly, but he does bring up some legitimate points. The vagueness is one. Another is that, in the writings of Buddha himself, there is a concept of reincarnation and karma. Not only is it irrational, but it leads to all sorts of nastiness.

Granted, there are versions of buddhism that aren't like that. But that's a derivative of traditional buddhism, and not actual buddhism as the Buddha taught it. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: but both are equal

Quote:
but both are equal in the sense that they both have the same amount of evidence supporting their metaphysical claims: zero.

I do agree with you on this point with one caviat.  It can be argued that there is some truth to Karma, albiet in a very loose understanding of the term.  Foer example, lets say your mother drank heavily while pregnant with you.  Her actions would have drastic effects on you growing up as a child becuase of it that you can do nothing about.  Of course, this is a very loose use of Karma and totally ignores reicarnation.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Another is that, in

Quote:
Another is that, in the writings of Buddha himself, there is a concept of reincarnation and karma. Not only is it irrational, but it leads to all sorts of nastiness.

Another is that, in the writings of Buddha himself, there is a concept of reincarnation and karma. Not only is it irrational, but it leads to all sorts of nastiness.

Very true, however there is a a rather interesting tenet of Buddhism: study the doctrine, learn the doctrine, then burn the doctrine.  The point being, learning the doctrine helps gives you focus but, there will be a time when you might have to go against the doctrine and it will be up to you to decide if you should or not.  Ironically this leads to another core criticsm of it: how can can you follow something that reccomends that one should follow it while, at the same time, admitting that there will be times it would be best not to?  It seems to collapse upon itself. 

Veils of Maya
Veils of Maya's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

Quote:

Very true, however there is a a rather interesting tenet of Buddhism: study the doctrine, learn the doctrine, then burn the doctrine. The point being, learning the doctrine helps gives you focus but, there will be a time when you might have to go against the doctrine and it will be up to you to decide if you should or not. Ironically this leads to another core criticsm of it: how can can you follow something that reccomends that one should follow it while, at the same time, admitting that there will be times it would be best not to? It seems to collapse upon itself.

Imagine you're a young piano student with aspirations to be a great pianist.

In the beginning, it's important that you pay close attention to where you fingers are on the keys. You concentrate on using the correct techniques and hand movements. This process of observing your physical technique gives you a firm foundation from which you can build on.

However, if you really want to be a great pianist, you must leave the physical observer behind. Fingers become notes, which together become chords. You start to focus on the more subtle aspects of playing, such as "What feeling was the composer attempting to express?", "How can I instill that feeling in my audience?" Music starts to flow though you like water, instead of a series of discrete steps.  

At this point, your physical observer only distracts you from the music. It is a hinderance, not a help. As such you discard it.

The same could be said for a journey which requires you to cross a river. Before you cross the river you must carry a raft. Once you reach the bank of the river, you place the raft in the water and float to the other side, However, once you've cross the river, the raft is no longer necessary. Continuing to carry it just slows you down. So you discard it.

It is the same with Buddhism. Buddhist teachings simply serve as a way to help you observe how you process information, ideas and create concepts from reality. However, once you learn how to step back and see how this process works, you shift your focus to being present, in the here and now.

If you focus on the teachings, they distract you from being present, so you discard them.  

I think this also reflects the idea that the world isn't black and white. The teachings do not have value in all contexts.

Note: I don't believe in reincarnation or the metaphysical aspects of karma and enlightenment. But I do find value in the teachings of suffering and illusion. I see Zen Buddhism as a philosophy, not a religion. 

We do not learn by experience, but by our capacity for experience.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Veils of Maya}Note: I don't

Veils of Maya wrote:
Note: I don't believe in reincarnation or the metaphysical aspects of karma and enlightenment. But I do find value in the teachings of suffering and illusion. I see Zen Buddhism as a philosophy, not a religion.

I see the core teachings of Buddhism as a philosophy.  Honestly, I see the beleif in karma and reincarnation says more about the people who beleive in buddhism than the actual teachings of Guutama since it is not really a requirment, nor was it stressed by Guotama that you must and always beleive in Karma or reincarnation.

Sidenote: thanks for unpacking that tenet of buddhism I brought up. 

nanahuatzin
nanahuatzin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Curiously i also has been

Curiously i also has been atracted to budism.

While Budhism acept the existance of gods,  in general, they are not considered importat to the destiny of man. I thing  it was Nieztche who called it "an atheist religion"

The interesting part of the Budhism is that it has a set of teaching for the common man, to be happy, Not to get happines inan afterlife. 

It reminds my a lot to the teachings of Epicuro, who search to get a way of living that makes for the most happines and less sufering.. a way that did not inlcude well prepared foods and expensive wines...  The modern usage of epicureims has little todo with the teachings of epicuro.

Now, i thing that a bufhist life can be pretty booring, but at the same time, it can help us to counteract some of the stress of modern life.

AngelEngine
AngelEngine's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: I see

illeatyourdog wrote:

I see the core teachings of Buddhism as a philosophy. Honestly, I see the beleif in karma and reincarnation says more about the people who beleive in buddhism than the actual teachings of Guutama since it is not really a requirment, nor was it stressed by Guotama that you must and always beleive in Karma or reincarnation.

Sidenote: thanks for unpacking that tenet of buddhism I brought up.

Depends on what version of Buddhism you believe in. Siddartha stressed the reincarnation.  

Buddhists are pretty benign and understanding. This is why out of all the religions, buddhism, and maybe Taoism if anyone still believes in it, are probably teh two of my most favorite ones. Unlike christians, they dont try to chagne the world, and unlike muslims, they dont try to destroy it. 

I'm infallible. I don't know why you can't remember that.

nanahuatzin
nanahuatzin's picture
User is offlineOffline
i am more familiar with

i am more familiar with kadampha budhism (a monk is freind of mine).

Acording to him, the reincarnation of budhism is diffrerent from hinduhism, since it refferes only to the continuation of life, not of concious or any methaphisical entity, like soul, and karma idoes not refer to "destint" but an indibidual stae, dereived form the activitues of the individual.

I am aware that not all variants of budhism think the same. yet one of the values of budhism is certain skepticism, even of it´s own believes.

By the way.. muslim do not try to destroy the world... fundamentalist is what tries to destroy those whoe do not think like them.. no matter if is muslim or christian.

Historically islam has been more tolerant to othere religions than christianins, specially to non christian religions.

Curiously , one of the most interest claims of budhism is that monoteism is the root of intolerance. Caroding to them, Those who belive in only one god, ussualy consider that their religion is the only one that has the right to exist or that they have the divine right to impose they´re own point of view... Does it sound familiar?...

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Depends on what

Quote:
Depends on what version of Buddhism you believe in. Siddartha stressed the reincarnation.

He also stressed constant testing of his teachings.  So if buddhists still believe in reicarnation, it is due to the beleif in reicarnation passing whatever test they come up with to test the teaching of reicarnation.  I honestly don't think it can be tested save for seeing if it can make sense in a buddhist framework, which it can.  I will concede it is more self-affirming than scrutiny but people are people. 

The Path
User is offlineOffline
The reason for such

The reason for such disparity between Buddhist sects is also one of the, if not "the", biggest difference between Buddhism and Atheism...

Buddhism is not Atheist, which is to say... It does not denounce the existence of a deity, which Atheism clearly does. At its core, that's really all Atheism does, so, while you could be a Buddhist and an Atheist, they're really nothing alike.

Digression: While we like to be clear that we're not evil sinners, and point to our humanistic sides, to be Athiest does not mean anything but no god. We can have morals without god, but this is not an essential core to Athiesm. Actually, that reminds me of a minister who tried to tell me I wasn't an Athiest, because I'm a humanist, and have beliefs, so I had to point out... a-theism is to mono-theism as mono-theism is to poly-theism... no-god; one-god; many-god... there isn't any more to it than that.

It may even be appropriate to say the core of Buddhist "philosophy" is Agnostic as it pertains to a deity, in that it is open to the possibility that a deity exists, but does not insist upon it.

Being an eastern religion, it is not surprising to find many Buddhist sects intermixing Buddhism with Hinduism, another eastern religion. That does not mean these Hindu elements are a core part of Buddhism itself, but merely that these particular sects are in essence both Buddhist and Hindu.

Another interesting "religion" philosophy, also eastern, is Taoism, which also could be considered Agnostic. Taoism may or may not involve belief in spirits in a similar fashion as Buddhism may or may not involve Hinduism, which essentially leads to the conclusion that it, at its core, does not include spirits, but does not exclude them either, which allows for their inclusion by sects and individuals.

Essentially, one could be a Taoist Buddhist Atheist, or even a Taoist Buddhist Christian, or for that super eastern flavor, a Taoist Buddhist Shinto (Shinto being a belief in spirits; very similar to Native American beliefs IMO). If you get real technical, separating spirits and deities, you could even be a Taoist Buddhist Shinto Atheist. Although I think the intellectual grounding of most Atheists would disallow the inclusion of spirit belief...

Interestingly, in the vein of the OP, I've actually contemplated the Athiest Christian concept... regardless of if the man even existed, and most importantly ignoring the idea that the man-god was supposed to be the same god from the old testement, the god of vengeance and wrath... the stories tell of completely selfless and giving man who walked the earth to help people, and asked people to follow him in his ways...

Interjection: I've yet to meet a Christian who truly walks the path of their savior. Most of them spew more garbage from the old testament than the new, clearly not realizing that either they aren't the same god, or their god underwent a complete psychological makeover and total reversal of policy...

Anyhow... to truly walk the path of Christ, would be to give everything up, and do everything to help your fellow man; certainly a noble endeavor. This is actually quite, quite, different than any other religious teaching out there. Every religion says a bunch of things in common like "be good to one another", but not too many say get out there and give.

Point here is, one could follow that path without belief in a deity. One could be a Christian Athiest. However... when push comes to shove... I'll be honest... I'm too selfish for that path... or is it that I don't think people deserve it... maybe both...

Honestly though, if everyone truly followed Christs path (not the modern Christian path, and certainly not the Evangelical Christian path)... might be interesting to see...

nanahuatzin
nanahuatzin's picture
User is offlineOffline
good point, that is why at

good point, that is why at it´s core, budhism is a religion. 

But probalby what it is more interesting about budhism and something that has in common with the phylosophy of Epicurous is that it looks to an ethics based on reason , nor on moral relogious teachings.

The purposue of the midel way of budhism is the happines,  but not ina an imagined afterlife. But in this very real life we got.

Alos the budhism has developed technics of meditation to fous on things. I remembere that the Dalai Lama oferred to catholics the metitation techniques used to control sexual desires.  Unlike catholics accept sexual desires as something natural. In an interview the Dalai Lama comented, pointing to his penis.. "I know that sometimes this can be very distracting..". 

Cahtolics believe that with just praying, sexual desires, (and other emotions) will dissapear be miracle...

The Path
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm. Speaking of

Hmmm. Speaking of meditation and focus...

That's something that seperates a lot of religions from Christianity, actually...

Many religions give a focus to achieving an inner peace; often inferring that without inner peace, one cannot be truly peacefull with others...

There is a particular character that I've encountered from many persons of many cultures; a character in which you can see an inner light shining outward; by which I mean a person who is truly happy and at peace, and they show it well...

Buddhists, Hindu, Taoists, Shinto, Native Americans, and even Muslims... but I've never seen it in a Christian of any form.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
the path wrote: Being an

the path wrote:
Being an eastern religion, it is not surprising to find many Buddhist sects intermixing Buddhism with Hinduism, another eastern religion.

They did not so much intermix as BUddhism simply branched off from Hinduism.  Supernatural elements like reincarnation, Karma, and the idea of Dharma are hindu in origin and adopted by Siddartha in his teachings since he was a hindu himself before going on his journey in the palace walls.

Quote:
Another interesting "religion" philosophy, also eastern, is Taoism, which also could be considered Agnostic.

You have to be careful when discussing Chinese ways of thought.  Toaism, like confucianism, mohism, yangism, and the teachings of Zhuangzi, are simply different ways of interpreting the Five Classics of CHina: Classics of Changes, Classics of Poetry, Classic of Rites, Classics of HIstory, and the Spring and Autumn Annals.  What this means is, many of the ideas and concepts discussed in these texts more than likely have their origin in these Classic texts rather than, for example, The Analects.  Furthermore, it gets even more confusing when you teachers like Mengzi and Xunzi who were both Confucianists with almost dymetrically opposite views on human nature (Zunxi was also born some 70 years after Mengzi so it is questionable if they even met each other in the flesh).  The texts themselves, however are the furthest thing from clear (save for the Xunzi which was the first "real" philosophical treatise in china since it was in essay form with carefully expressed arguements written by Xunxi himself). 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
thanks you all, this thread

thanks you all, this thread made my night, you > "The Path" < keep my hope real, someday all will say " I am GOD as YOU" ...... we are 100% G_O_D, .....so enough all ready , get back to science and making fun, ONLY FUN , abolish work ...... 

http://www.primitivism.com/abolition.htm

fun for all is my only religion

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I've always thought

I've always thought reincarnation to simply mean "recycling" of, all that is, energy and matter. The sicky question is what really is consciousness, that as found in humans, which imagines gods ? Even matter appears alive under the microscope ?

I believe from our perspective anyway that we will always be faced with more unknowns, and that is the definition of god to me, "Unknowable"

Myth and relgion and science are all dedicated to that eternal mystery. So I Say, we are God ..... what ain't god ? .... take back god from the dangerous Fundy Dogma Armageddon Wishers and radical Zionists. God = Atheist. (? communication breakdown Zep.) me freakin