Comments about RRS on RichardDawkins.net

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Comments about RRS on RichardDawkins.net

(I wish I knew what forum to post this in...)

I thought there were some VERY interesting comments on RichardDawkins.net about the RRS. See the comments at the end of this post.

Why is this important? Several months ago, you would get mostly negative opinions of the RRS. Now it seems people are starting to 'get it' and see the need for rational responders. Here's a good example:

Quote:

22. Comment #70593 by ksskidude on September 16, 2007 at 7:57 am

-->  avatarI think maybe all of you should go to the Rational Responders(rationalresponders.com) web site and see for yourselves that they are incredibly important for our cause. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and the Rational Response Squad is putting it out there. They are trying to invoke change, because before the last year and half, atheist's were manily silent, and what had been done before obviously wasn't doing anything, IMO.

Both Brian and Kelly are incredibly intelligent and express themselves very well indeed. Do they come across as angry at times, yes, but I'm pissed off a lot as well. Basically they have said, enough is enough. Kind words and logical arguments might work for some, but there are plenty of ignorant fools out there, i.e. Kirk Cameron, Ray Comfort, Kent Hovid, etc.. that need to be put in thier place.

I for one support the RRS 110%!

One last thing, RD was a guest on their show, and I don't think he would have done that if he did not support them either.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:

natural wrote:

(I wish I knew what forum to post this in...)

I thought there were some VERY interesting comments on RichardDawkins.net about the RRS. See the comments at the end of this post.

Why is this important? Several months ago, you would get mostly negative opinions of the RRS. Now it seems people are starting to 'get it' and see the need for rational responders. Here's a good example:

Quote:

22. Comment #70593 by ksskidude on September 16, 2007 at 7:57 am

-->  avatarI think maybe all of you should go to the Rational Responders(rationalresponders.com) web site and see for yourselves that they are incredibly important for our cause. There are many different ways to skin a cat, and the Rational Response Squad is putting it out there. They are trying to invoke change, because before the last year and half, atheist's were manily silent, and what had been done before obviously wasn't doing anything, IMO.

Both Brian and Kelly are incredibly intelligent and express themselves very well indeed. Do they come across as angry at times, yes, but I'm pissed off a lot as well. Basically they have said, enough is enough. Kind words and logical arguments might work for some, but there are plenty of ignorant fools out there, i.e. Kirk Cameron, Ray Comfort, Kent Hovid, etc.. that need to be put in thier place.

I for one support the RRS 110%!

One last thing, RD was a guest on their show, and I don't think he would have done that if he did not support them either.

KSSKIDUDE, is a really bad example because he actually knows us! He's way too biased. I mean he's actually talked with us on the phone and knows who we really are, he doesn't count. You need the opinion of someone who's really good at judging a book by it's cover or the first 3 pages.

Go with a less biased opinion. Like that of the old atheists who don't know us, have no idea how to get us, and will never get us in saying "The RRS is childish, they're not my style, they should be better."

/sarcasm

RD refers to putting posts on his board as "throwing it to the lions." There is almost no moderation done on his site, very free speech friendly (I like). The downside is that you're still going to have to hear how bad we (RRS) are, for on RD for sometime. From Christians posing as atheists claiming that RRS is wrong for X reason to atheists who just don't get it, when we're dealing with the sort of people that Richard draws in (very mainstream) you're gonna get a large variety.

Here at our site we're afforded more respect from those who disagree but recognize our actions are vital. Here at our site we take measures to ensure that people aren't playing characters impersonating atheists as Christians. We often find members with shady mulitple account things happening and thwart it. I was talking with RD admin the other day and we were theorizing on just how many of the "atheist haters" are actually Christians in disguise. We really have no real idea as to how many are really atheist and really against RD, RRS, etc. I'm talking about actual Christians who pose as atheists, not atheists who I'm (not) accusing of being "true atheist."

I shit you not, it's rampant. I think we'd all be amazed if we knew how many theists were logging online and impersonating atheists who dislike atheists who speak out.

The fucked up part is that the pussyfooted atheists have to deal with others being suspicious that they're Christian when you read half of their posts. I'm sure that they don't want this, and often times the suspicion is unfounded, but skeptics are skeptics.

We're moving forward slowly. And it's obvious we're moving faster with RD, RRS, and SH than we would have otherwise.

It is ironic that you posted this, we were just talking about how the comments are more positive in this thread on Dawkins than usual. Give it time, the haters will find it eventually. Eye-wink

In the future look forward to a really strong relationship with RD and RRS. We've become closer behind closed doors due to Hovind. (thanks CSE) We also recognize that there will be plenty of "Dawkins/RRS isn't good because of X." We have agreed to not allow our relationship to be diminished as a result of such negative talk. We see where the "old atheists" are coming from, we disagree, we're over it, we're not letting it bring us down (not until they bring a good argument to the table at least, then we'll evolve).

See these applicable threads for Operation Spread Eagle: If you only read one post about this issue make make it this one!

Open letter to Youtube from Brian Sapient. Pass this video on

Post your youtube censorship or copyright infringement stories here. (also how to do a counter notice).

Kent Hovind from Jail Phone Calls

Eric Hovind writes RRS (still hasn't written back!)

Indirect hit in "Operation Spread Eagle" sablechicken was pwned. Oh also we defended her free speech and gave her a free pass on some slander.

Eddygoombah letter to CSE

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
You see comments like this

You see comments like this over and over, and you have to sit and wonder why the elitest atheists can't figure this common sense stuff out.

Quote:
30. Comment #70605 by BlazingArrow74 on September 16, 2007 at 9:38 am

-->  avatar... For what it's worth, we need all the 'idiots' we can get our hands on to support the R.R.S. ... There are too many people out here who still think we barely even exist; I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of pride in order to be heard ... Brian and Kelly need our support; this is no time for elitism in any form ... Maybe it's high-time for more common representatives: ones who don't hold any college degrees or come from financially stable backgrounds ... The more diversity we can get, the more appealing we'll be -- and the more others will relate to us -- above all: this should be our aim ...

I wonder how many of the elitest atheists are TAGers in disguise, it feels so Paul Manata, Gene Cook, Matt Slick, Kent Hovindish............

MY MOST RECENT LASH OUT ON RDF:

Quote:
56. Comment #70662 by sapient on September 16, 2007 at 1:50 pm --> Mitchell, thanks for the libel. I was just talking about how the haters are unable to post a good argument, and here you are stooping to Kent Hovind levels. I was also talking about how a skeptic wonders if people like you are actually Christian. Do you like others thinking you are that irrational? Do you like others thinking you might actually be a Christian in disguise as an atheist? If not, maybe you shouldn't make such weak criticisms. If your critique of our debate was as libelous as your last comment, I'm glad I didn't have to waste my time seeing it.

Could you and the entire "we hate how you do it" community please remove head from ass.

MITCHELL GILKS LIBEL SAID

After seeing the RRS for the first time on tv arguing with those fundy nuts I went to their site right afterward to complain about all the mistakes they made, but on their homepage it asked people not to send in corrections, because they had enough. They had already been fully informed of all their mistakes. Are these people really qualified to argue something that they made so many noticable mistakes on that they have to ask people to stop sending in corrections?

Now, here is what it actually said. I won't even addressed your warped view, I'll simply let the audience decide, ya jerk.

Text that was on homepage http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/rational_response_squad_alerts/rational_response_squad_alerts/6653

Did we make mistakes in the full debate? Yes. We stumbled on a few words, made an inaccurate point or two, and made a weak point at a moment or two. Ironically our worst points still seemed to be too much for them. So while we welcome criticism, especially constructive, please keep in mind that we feel we have a good handle on what we did wrong. We'll grow, learn, and get better. What we're really hoping for in this thread is for the actual content and discussion about gods existence to be brought into question. Challenge us to continue, and we will continue to respond to your claims. If you are a theist, please feel free to post your scientific evidence for God, leaving out the miserable arguments that Ray Comfort has already been beaten on of course.

Am I off base here? When an "atheist" goes out of his way to completely mis characterize other atheists positions, are any of you getting suspicious?

I spoke with Josh Timonen the other night for almost 4 hours. One of the topics was our curiousity about just how many "atheists" are actually Christians who come online to impersonate them. At RationalResponders.com we sniff them out through back end measures, here at RDF they allow more free roaming.

The free speech is nice but online you never know when you are merely a pawn in some impersonators game to cause a rift within the atheist community.

I can tell you we've sniffed out at least a dozen christian accounts posing as atheists in the last year on our website.

Oh one last thing Mitchell, take your little book of notes from all the mistakes in the Ray Comfort debate and argue it's validity in front of 7 million people. (remove head from ass, please people!)

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Just this once, we're

Just this once, we're actually addressing the chicken shit atheists on RDF.

Check out the thread for my posts, here is Kellys most recent...

133. Comment #70779 by kellym78 on September 16, 2007 at 10:17 pm

--> Since I haven't weighed in here yet, this will be long. Sorry. :-/

23. Comment #70594 by Spinoza on September 16, 2007 at 8:02 am:

Idiots annoy me, and I really wish no atheists were idiots.

So then you have no interest in seeing the influence of dogmatic religious beliefs on society be eradicated, or at the very least minimized? If that is not your position, then I suggest you reconsider this statement since the majority of the population, and therefore a sizeable amount of the power in a democracy, are what you would refer to as "idiots".

But it seems more and more likely that there is a phenomenon of bandwagon atheism that The God Delusion has started... and it's not even clear that some of the "converted" even know what concepts they're disbelieving in.

As much as I admire Dawkins and his work, I would hesitate to say that TGD is what started all of this "bandwagon atheism." (disclaimer: I realize that Dawkins atheism was clear to readers of his previous works, but that was not the raison d'etre for those publications.) If anybody could be credited, it would probably be Harris since The End of Faith preceded TGD. Also, the RRS was already formed prior to the release of TGD.

35. Comment #70614 by Spinoza on September 16, 2007 at 10:01 am: You are exactly the sort of moron that makes large parts of the "Atheist Movement" (whatever the hell that is) look completely ridiculous in the eyes of most people (and it does, especially to intelligent atheists).

You are exactly the sort of uber-intellectual that makes large parts of the average population think that atheists are all egotistical snobs into whose exclusive group they would never find company. (Not to mention that "intelligent atheists" are not the ones that we are seeking to impact. It's the "idiots", as you so kindly put it, who desperately need this message.)

To make atheism a "cause" rather than simply a fact is to marginalize it a priori.

The "cause" is not atheism per se; rather, it is to reduce the influence of religious idealogies on society and to interject a supposedly taboo subject into public discourse in order to effect the trajectory of the current socio-political atmosphere while simultaneously reducing the amount of psychological, or possibly physical, harm being caused by dogmatic belief.

And yes, the truth matters, and we should make people aware of the fact that their beliefs are false...The truth does not need salesmen, it provides its own vindication.

Am I the only one who sees the contradiction here? How do we make people "aware of the fact that their beliefs are false" without what you have termed "proselytizing"? If the truth is so self-evident, why isn't every human being an atheist already? Atheism will be vindicated; unfortunately, it will be after the dissenting individuals die. Not too much help for those of us left on this planet.

36. Comment #70620 by Mitchell Gilks on September 16, 2007 at 10:29 am
After seeing the RRS for the first time on tv arguing with those fundy nuts I went to their site right afterward to complain about all the mistakes they made, but on their homepage it asked people not to send in corrections, because they had enough. They had already been fully informed of all their mistakes. Are these people really qualified to argue something that they made so many noticable mistakes on that they have to ask people to stop sending in corrections?

Brian already answered this, but I just wanted to add my own thoughts here: when was the last time you were not only in front of an audience, but being broadcast on national television? Was it comfortable for you? Was your performance utterly perfect? If not, then you should probably take that into consideration before being so quick to criticize.

37. Comment #70623 by okmichigan on September 16, 2007 at 10:48 am:
im glad im not the only one annoyed with sapient and the rrs. enough with the youtube melodrama.

If it wasn't for youtube, atheism wouldn't be getting anywhere near the attention that it has gotten (in large part due to us, but you can refuse to acknowledge that, if you like.)

45. Comment #70643 by robotaholic on September 16, 2007 at 12:29 pm:
Her attitude, voice, and face were irritating.

I hope having these videos on here doesn't degrade the reputation of this website. I'm glad Professor Richard Dawkins didn't take the blasphemy challenge.

Thank Zeus that Professor Richard Dawkins doesn't have an annoying attitude, face, or voice, because that would clearly invalidate his argumentation. It's also a relief to know that he doesn't support this group at all.

...to be continued...

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins is 'science is

Dawkins is 'science is beautiful religious is ugly' gentle persuasion, polite very English

RRS religion is evil twisted bollocks that greatly damages the human race, science is nice but more importantly religion is bollocks (Christopher Hitchens, used to be English style)

There is definitely room for both , again atheism suffers from NOT being a religion, no one worships (or should worship) Dawkins, Sapient, Hitchins or anyone else

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Your typical poster at

Your typical poster at RD.net is exactly the type of person who has kept atheism from coming out beacuse of their elitism.  I think that's a perfect title, Brian, in calling them Elistist Atheists.  They're just "too good" for what your doing.  Too bad they've had their noses stuck in books and test-tubes too much, and have absolutely no common sense.  Not to mention, they keep their heads up their asses, and can't see much further past that. 

Most of them will never be fans of RRS, but that just means that we don't need them, and that they're not worth entertaining for too long.  They do need an answer and rebuke every now and then, but ultimately they're a long way off from being useful.

Glad to hear that you're making partnerships over there at RD.net, will make us all stronger 

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
So is RSS like the radical

So is RSS like the radical fringe of atheism? How the hell did I end up here?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: So is RSS

wavefreak wrote:
So is RSS like the radical fringe of atheism?

I think only time will tell.  It feels like about half of the atheists out there can find reason to agree with our position on how religion and irrational thought should be addressed.  Initially our group was formed to unite just those people.   

Quote:
How the hell did I end up here?

Must be part of gods plan?  No seriously, I'm interested, how did you find us? 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Must be part

Sapient wrote:
Must be part of gods plan? No seriously, I'm interested, how did you find us?

Sufing the net. Wiped out ...

Coincidentally, I came on board right after your debate with those two guys that brought in a lot of new theists. It was a bit wild and wooly.   

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Must be part of gods

Must be part of gods plan? No seriously, I'm interested, how did you find us?

I can tell you how I found you, but it might not be that exciting until near the end.

I became interested in learning more about evolution, so I took a class on it, looked into a few books about it, and discovered Richard Dawkins. I then discovered he was on YouTube and TED. I then became enchanted by his militant atheism. I then started clicking on all possible related links (excluding Gisburne who I was already aware of) and eventually came across Penn Jillette taking the Blasphemy Challenge, which was awesome. From there, I stumbled onto the television interview with Brian and Kelly.

And then there was a motorcycle chase!

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Awesome, thanks for telling

Awesome, thanks for telling us Archeoptryx.  Welcome aboard. 

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Check out the comments on

Check out the comments on this thread. Some of the naysayers are just ridiculous. Many people are standing up for RRS, but I felt I had something worth saying:

Quote:

181. Comment #74655 by wonderist on September 29, 2007 at 9:00 pm

--> I'm a long time lurker here, and long time active member of the RRS (user name 'natural&#39Eye-wink. I have read all the comments in this thread and have not seen any valid constructive criticism from the naysayers. It has all been negative criticism, such as, 'I think they should dress differently,' or 'I think they're amateurish slobs.' There have been no constructive suggestions that have not been accompanied by digs at their character or other such snobbery.

Many of you are reading the RRS wrong. They are not here to please you. They are not here to be everybody's friend. They are here to take direct action against irrationality wherever they find it, with theism being the number one target.
Therefore, when you propose 'I don't like the way you do things,' and that's all you say, they reply 'Fuck off, if you want things done differently, do them yourself and stop complaining to us.'

You see, there is no pleasing everybody. If the RRS goes light on someone, they get complaints 'You went too light on them.' If they go hard on someone, they get complaints 'You went too hard on them.' So, the general policy of the RRS members is to do it their own way, but to maintain rationality as much as possible.

The RRS doesn't go around complaining that other groups don't act as aggressively as they do. And they don't like it when others complain about how they should act.

This is not to say that they do not accept positive constructive criticism. There are many examples of the RRS accepting constructive criticism. Here's an example in this video.

Here's another example in this thread. Let me quote from it:

When you say that you are better than people who don't do what you do, are you referring to someone such as myself? I am asking for clarification because I have a different view if that is true. I feel that people such as myself as necessary to the spread of atheism, because when there are people like yourselves taking the "in your face" approach there needs to be those who stand on the sideline to support you for doing what we can not. I could never go on national television to debate with well learned scholars, as you have, and hold my own in a debate. I support you in what you do because I know that you are right in what you do, and that's all I can do. I just want to know if you really feel above those who support you above all the rest, if that makes any sense.
-- Sam

No, we support you in your passive approach.

We're referring to people who employ poor logic or dishonesty in an attempt to attack our position. You illustrated the opposite of that here by asking questions first to clarify before you attacked. In my book, that puts you in my "we're better than you league" (for now). Eye-wink
-- Sapient

If you come in to their chat room or forum and proceed to lay out all their flaws, and tell them things they already know, presuming they don't know it, of course they get pissed at you (pay attention, v4ri4bl3).

The founders of the RRS have been dealing with criticism for a long time, and frankly, if you act like a pompous prick when you do it, they quite literally have no time for you. They are very busy. Why don't you get busy? If you think your way is better, go and do it your way, prove the RRS wrong by being better than them, not by complaining to them.

I am not a spokesperson for RRS, just a long time member of their board who has gotten to know them, bit by bit. I'll say it frankly, the naysayers here don't know what they are talking about. Their generalizations of the members of the RRS is nothing short of snobbish bigotry. There are thousands of members of all kinds of personalities from all walks of life. There are teenagers with not much more than a basic understanding of critical thinking, and there are professionals and academics from fields such as biochemistry, genetics, philosophy, psychology, and on and on. There are assholes, and there are kind old ladies.

This is not about style over substance. The RRS has style, even though it might not be *your* style. This is about valid critiques. If you want to critique the RRS, lay down your case. Facts, not assertions, please. Rational arguments, not personal opinions, please. Opinions are welcome, but they are only opinions, they are not valid critiques.

And finally, if you don't like the way they do things, go do it yourself. The RRS will support you all the way, even if your way is not their way. It is going to take a thousand varied approaches to change the entire world. The RRS is just one way, but you can't deny that it is a very effective way.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Emoticon = 0

To Natural:

Do we have an emoticon for *stands up and claps*?

If we did, this would be a good place for me to use it. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Archeopteryx. I've

Thanks, Archeopteryx. I've put up a few more posts. Consider this a bump. Smiling

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The following comment is

The following comment is elite-atheist speak for "Oops, sorry!":

Quote:

235. Comment #74800 by The Smart Patrol on September 30, 2007 at 1:47 pm

-->  avatarComment #74637 by Veronique on September 29, 2007 at 7:04 pm

"Hahahaha. Good riposte, Patrol.

You do have a strange pseudonym though, sort of, um, uh you see what I meanSmiling.

SorrySmiling, let's not go back to the pseudonym debate or we'll both be thrown off the site.

Although I had a go at your language, that's all it was, really. My other criticisms of other posters' negativity had all to do with content.

Cheers
V"

My pseudonym is, admittedly, not exactly conducive to getting people on my side. It apparently exhibits "an air of unwarranted superiority", as succinctly expressed by an adversary in another forum. In my defence, it is not a name that I just made up on the spot or anything; in fact, my title is innocently derived from the name of a song by those American electro-pioneers, Devo. I just think it sounds rather lofty and in-your-face. Sue me!

With regards to the RRS and the sneering, unsubstantiated drunken drivel that I posted last night, I must admit that I really don't know too much about them. Prior to posting, I read some of the negative comments on these here boards, and hastily watched a few of their videos on You Tube. Satisfied that at least some of the malicious ranting that I had so enjoyed reading had turned out to be at least partially accurate, I thought it might be fun to chip in with a few choice words of my own. Your decision to take umbrage with my ignorant and petty late-night ramblings was certainly entirely justified, and I stand before you with tail limply flailing between my silly little legs. In saying that, I'm still a bit undecided as to whether the RRS are worthy of my appreciation or my consternation, or whether they should fall somewhere in-between. Certainly, I can sympathise with their disgust and base, unapologetic anger for the harm that irrational belief can cause, although whether their methods are helpful with regards to promoting healthy and wholesome critical thinking, as oppose to arrogant and ill-prepared vitriol, remains to be seen. The Professor seems to dig them, that's for sure, so perhaps I should take some solace in his learned endorsement!