Quick question

Chaos Evolved
User is offlineOffline
Quick question

I really need an answer to this

what do you guys say when a person says 'some people who believe in god need to believe in him. They need religion.' 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tell them that it's a lie.

Tell them that it's a lie.

Merakon
Merakon's picture
User is offlineOffline
=/

The only things you 'need' are food, water, shelter and maybe a little bit of lovin'.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say that these people

I say that these people don't realize that their strength comes from within, not from above.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tell Kirk Cameron to get

I tell Kirk Cameron to get the hell off my couch and get out of my house!!

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaos Evolved wrote: I

Chaos Evolved wrote:

what do you guys say when a person says 'some people who believe in god need to believe in him. They need religion.'

Nobody has ever said that to me. But if they did it sounds like what they're really saying is, "Some people cannot cope with life so they need the fear of god to keep them in line."

But what they'd really need to do is face reality. They need to see clearly what they need to do to take responsibility for confronting their unsolved problems in a rational manner.

It's a matter of living consciously and taking responsibility for yourself.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaos Evolved

Chaos Evolved wrote:

Some people 'need' heroin. We treat them for addiction, we don't justify their habit.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
A perceived need doesn't

A perceived need doesn't make it so. 

Otherwise, I need two blondes and a tub of jell-o. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I suppose I can

I suppose I can empathize in a sort-of-related way...

I have a father who is not very book-smart. He has more common sense than most people I have met, and he's very wise, and he gives good advice. He lives smart. But he utterly lacks scientific knowledge, utterly fails to care that he lacks scientific knowledge, and he can't spell to save his life. He's good with mathematics though (up to the algebra 1-ish level anyway).

He's also addicted to work. I have no idea how this is possible, but he seriously loves doing physical labor and will tell you so with a smile on his face. He works 40 hours a week at a factory, comes home and does all of his own yard work (3 acres), and still finds time to help shingle houses, hang siding, hang drywall, repair basic plumbing, and I don't know what else. The man is a machine. He NEVER STOPS. He often says he enjoys the labor in itself, but he also likes that it makes him feel closer to God. Hm.

He loves his wife, but he isn't in love with his wife. He has confessed before that his love for her is not romantic, but he stays married to her because of the family and because he knows that God wants it that way, and he's happy doing God's will.

When he isn't being a labor machine to support himself or to help other people, he's being a labor machine for his church (recently helped coordinate the raising of a new wing). He teaches sunday school classes, hosts bible studies, and even writes lessons for other teachers. His only non-family friends are people in his church.

The guy is crazy about JC. To him, God literally gives his life purpose.

Now almost everyone here is going to say, "Yeah, so? It doesn't make God real." And you're right. But can you imagine what it would mean for him to find out God was an empty myth? He's believed in God his entire life, and he's in his 50's, and he has said with his own mouth that he wrestles with the fact that he's on the dreaded decline. What would it say about his marriage? What would it say about the work he enjoys? He associates nearly every aspect of his life with God in some way. Even if he learned the truth now, he was indoctrinated from birth and was deluded for most of his life. I hate to think what discovering the truth now might do to him.

He's the one person I really don't debate the existence of God with. I really would like to, but in this case, it seems like it's better to just let him continue being ignorant.

Maybe it's just a case of a son who doesn't have the heart to make his dad frown, but I just can't do it. If it gets done, it will have to be somebody else.

Maybe he doesn't "need" God, but I feel like it's better if he continues to believe.

Still, this says nothing of its truth.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaos Evolved wrote:what

Chaos Evolved wrote:

I usually laugh in their face... so it would be something like...

"Hahahaha.... haha... ahaha... Ha"

What Would Kharn Do?

rational_terp
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Archeopteryx.

I agree with Archeopteryx. Loosing the belief in god can be very traumatic for some people, and there are situations where it would do more harm than good if we would try to "enlighten" them.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
what do you guys say when a

what do you guys say when a person says 'some people who drink coffee need to drink coffee every day, They need coffee.'?

Edit: Im an acoffeeist, I dont drink coffee. I have tried to drink coffee in the past but it doesnt seem to have an effect on me.

I know many of you probably drink coffee and wants to bring me into the flock so to speak, but I dont think I'l ever start drinking coffee.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos wrote: Im an

thormos wrote:
Im an acoffeeist, I dont drink coffee. I have tried to drink coffee in the past but it doesnt seem to have an effect on me.

I was like you once. Then one morning a roomate said, "Here. Have a cup of coffee." Now I can't imagine life without coffee. It's hard to explain the feeling I get from drinking coffee. I don't know what turned you off to coffee but I think you should try it again. Ninty percent of Americans drink it so it can't be bad.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: thormos

RickRebel wrote:

thormos wrote:
Im an acoffeeist, I dont drink coffee. I have tried to drink coffee in the past but it doesnt seem to have an effect on me.

I was like you once. Then one morning a roomate said, "Here. Have a cup of coffee." Now I can't imagine life without coffee. It's hard to explain the feeling I get from drinking coffee. I don't know what turned you off to coffee but I think you should try it again. Ninty percent of Americans drink it so it can't be bad.

Maybe he had a bad experience with instant coffee. What you need to understand is that instant coffee isn't true coffee. 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaos Evolved wrote: I

Chaos Evolved wrote:

In some cases this might be true. Some sad pathetic creatures may require religion to help them through life. I would say that a good therapist would probably help them better and will work out cheaper in the long run though. If one is unable to cope with life without religion then I would suggest some kind of proffesional councelling is required. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: thormos

RickRebel wrote:

thormos wrote:

Ninty percent of Americans drink it so it can't be bad.

Yes... well... 90% of Americans are also... Theists >.> hehehe.

Thusly, do to persuedo-logic, i can concluded... ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
The transition process is not an easy one

I remember my transition from Christian to Atheist was not an easy one. I mean it's like being told santa isn't real as a child multiplied by 100. Infact I compare Theists to little kids screaming "Your lying and I hate you!" (Like I did when I was told santa wasn't real) After a while it actually feels better to know that you are free of the fear and paranoia that comes along with religion. But I guess I would say to them, "Why? what purpose does believing in imaginary beings serve to society?" Ask them what if everyone decided to create some imaginary reality with imaginary friends and imaginary requirements and went around proclaiming that it made them feel better and they needed it...do you know what kind of situation that would cause? I would rather know the truth.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out