So, as atheists, what do you think happens to us after we die?

bagpiper2005
bagpiper2005's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, as atheists, what do you think happens to us after we die?

I think we cease to exist. Agree? Disagree? Your thoughts?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I cease to exist. 

I cease to exist.  Finito.  My body will be cremated (unless my family doesn't obey my wishes, in which case it would be nice to be a ghost and haunt the hell out of them).  I don't think we have souls that go anywhere and I don't believe in any sort of afterlife (I was joking about becoming a ghost).

But it would still be fun to haunt someone. Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's sad to say it, but

It's sad to say it, but everyone just simply cease to exist, but not me.

I imagine I'll get to do whatever I want when I die. 

I suck at signatures.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
bagpiper2005 wrote: I think

bagpiper2005 wrote:
I think we cease to exist. Agree?

Yes. 

pettman
User is offlineOffline
The cease-to-exist-theory

The cease-to-exist-theory seems like the most plausible to me. Since then you don't have to explain how the mind (soul, conciousness or whatever you like to call it), which when you're alive is made up by neural-signals in your brain (or that's at least how I've interpreted my biology books), suddenly no longer needs those neural-signals to exist.

JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only part I hate to

The only part I hate to think of, in respect to dying, is never seeing how the human story unfolds. It's like only getting to read 6 of the 7 Harry Potter books. On topic, I agree, we are worm food.

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
My brain stops working and

My brain stops working and the material I am made of becomes other things. So yes, I no longer exist, the idea might be daunting but I won't be around to experience it. Smiling

Oh, and I'll snuff your existence before you snuff mine, understand that bitches, my opposable thumbs will rupture your primary optical sensory organs and I will then proceed to deactivate your brain trough excessive trauma or retard your ability to function by disconnecting your spinal cord around the neck area.... I’m out for revenge, and this time, it’s clinical. (I got bored there....)

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
You're reunited with your

You're reunited with your childhood dog.
Neurology says brain = personality. Unless evidence suggests that the "self" can continue to exist somehow, I guess death is it. Makes you wish you'd gone waterskiing more.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
YOU RUN INTO A TALL MAN IN A

YOU RUN INTO A TALL MAN IN A ROBE WHO CARRIES A SCYTHE AND TALKS LIKE THIS.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
We all suffer the same fate

We all suffer the same fate of having to go through the same pains and trials twice. Once before we are born, and once after. Woe forsooth and lament. Such terrible things are these.

Mental Eclipse
Mental Eclipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose the absence of all

I suppose the absence of all being would make the most sense for the reasons that others have stated. I'd still be interested if any atheists view death differently though. It would be nice if there was some form of exsistance after death, however this could just be wishfull thinking.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: YOU RUN INTO A TALL

Quote:
YOU RUN INTO A TALL MAN IN A ROBE WHO CARRIES A SCYTHE AND TALKS LIKE THIS.

Death?  I love Death!

In all seriousness though, the only way to know is to die... so I'll have to get back to you on that one. 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
The undiscovered country is

The undiscovered country is just that I think.  Anything beyond our embodied consciousness would simply be beyond human conceptualization or description.

So the door's wide open, or slammed shut, depending on how you take it.

recommended:  two books by Mary Roach, 1. Stiff, and 2. Spook.  Well researched and--believe it or not--fun.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
We go backstage and wait for

We go backstage and wait for John Edward to call on us.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard we go to heaven or

I heard we go to heaven or hell?

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I die, I will go on to

When I die, I will go on to be a movie star in the afterlife. I'll also get to direct. In the afterlife I will be a great cosmologist, tattoo artist, pathologist, and veterinarian.

Seriously, when I die - that's it.  My "self" will return to nonexistance. 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hopefully my corpse will be

Hopefully my corpse will be put to some use.  The donor code on my health card should ensure that.  I thoroughly dislike the idea of being kept bodily in a grave for people to visit, or even worse in an urn as burned and ground up bits, but as I won't exist, it doesn't matter one way or the other.  I believe it is unnecessary to think about something that can't be the case while I do exist.  The mutual exclusivity of life and death make pondering on death... well, pointless really.  That it must happen is a matter of course -I am alive after all.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
You guys have no

You guys have no imaginations. I'm gettin' reincarnated as a fuckin' dinosaur, only I'll get to keep all my memories of this life, so I could drive a special made car and get a Ph.D. but then when I needed to I could just eat an elephant or something. It'll be fuckin' awesome.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I revert to the same status

I revert to the same status I was for 15-18 billion years before I was born non-existant

Every human being has been 'dead' before, what were you doing 100 years ago?

The answer you didnt exist/were dead

Absolutely no mystery to it what soever

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
We should ask Leona

We should ask Leona Helmsley, but she probably would say that "death is for the little people."

In all seriousness, my body will be placed in the family mausoleum, where my body will decay with the previous six generations of my family.  WooHoo!

If I am lucky, after 150 years some kid thinking himself a Satanist will raid the tomb and attempt to use my skull as a wine goblet.  (I hope the kid decants the wine before putting it in my skull.  Can you imagine the effect of a poorly decanted Margaux on a cranium the likes of mine?)

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Max Wilder
atheist
Max Wilder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just as with God, it is all

Just as with God, it is all utter speculation.

Since the consciousness is an insubstantial thing, it does not follow the rules of physics as we know them. The only thing we know for sure is that we cannot be here in this body forever.

Perhaps there is an afterlife, perhaps reincarnation, perhaps there is nothingness.

For those who think we permanently cease to exist, I ask you where the consciousness came from when you were born. Logic suggests we go back to that incorporeal state, which can only be described as "different from now".

-----
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.
- Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Max Wilder wrote: Since the

Max Wilder wrote:
Since the consciousness is an insubstantial thing, it does not follow the rules of physics as we know them.

No it isn't and yes it does.

Quote:
For those who think we permanently cease to exist, I ask you where the consciousness came from when you were born.

The interaction of my neurons in a self-referential system. 

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

bagpiper2005 wrote:

Do you remember what life was like before you were conceived?  Death will be just like that. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: We should ask

Nero wrote:

We should ask Leona Helmsley, but she probably would say that "death is for the little people."

It would be kinda hard to ask Leona now.

If death is for the little people, she is now a little person because she passed away August 20th. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Death.

Death.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

bagpiper2005 wrote:

Either we no longer exist...

or the most wondeful, beautiful, incredible, holy of holies, king of kings, ever flowing fountains of lovingkindness tortures us for all eternity....

Actually, it need not be that dichotomy, atheism does not necessitate eternal non existence... perhaps our universe reoccurs eternally.... perhaps we've already all done this 10 billion times....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
...or God isn't as big of a

...or God isn't as big of a dick as we think he is...

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to get buried and

I'm going to get buried and have a tree planted on top of me. Or maybe donate my body to medical science so students can do amusing things with my organs or make my dead body twitch by poking my brain with a cattleprod.

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Nero

Susan wrote:
Nero wrote:

It would be kinda hard to ask Leona now.

If death is for the little people, she is now a little person because she passed away August 20th. 

Yes, thus the comment.  Smiling

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no clue what happens

I have no clue what happens after death. If i rot in the ground,or just exist in another form......i can't wait to see it after living a full life.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

c0mputar
User is offlineOffline
The universe, even

The universe, even dimensions, must be so vast beyond reckoning that I believe that over an infinite amount of time, that something so irrational will occur that I will spontantiously appear ontop of a flying dragon soaring over a light emitting black hole.

I believe this is one of religions greatest crimes is that it removes the appreciation we have of life and how lucky we are to be on a planet that seems relatively forgiving in the midst of black holes, colliding galaxies, and spinning super dense ping-pong sized balls. You must convince yourself that the purpose in life is to enjoy it to the fullest, and leave a loving legacy to the generations to follow.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
AModestProposal

AModestProposal wrote:
Death.
LOL

I will be dead after I die also Laughing

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
JB_Montag wrote: The only

JB_Montag wrote:
The only part I hate to think of, in respect to dying, is never seeing how the human story unfolds.

Here's how it will unfold. The flying car will be invented and then houses will be built that hover hundreds of feet above the ground. There will be advanced technology where you push a button and your dinner instantly materializes before your eyes. People will have robots and vision phones and walk their dogs on tredmills. People will have last names like Spacely and Jetson.

It's gonna be cool. Sorry you'll miss it.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

TheCraig
TheCraig's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't plan on dying. It's

I don't plan on dying. It's my hope that my carcass will be preserved either by cryonics or some other technology and that I can be revived at a later date. I don't believe in an 'afterlife' so it's important to me that I get the most out of life that I possibly can. In other words I hope that physical death is not ultimately final, but may be a temporary ailment.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not_Your_Therapist

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

EXACTLY!!! I like the anology: "We return to the same place we were before we were born."

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
death

I'm with you, "TheCraig". I want to be physically immortal, as well. Or at least, live quite a long time. Maybe stem cells or human-to-computer interfaces will help do the trick... but all that is rather quite speculative, even if promissing.

On the other hand, I remember reading somewhere that with sufficiently advanced quantum/space-time technology, it might be possible to teleport objects from the past to the time of such technology (including humans). However, from what else I remember reading, that was majorly speculative. Undecided

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
bagpiper2005 wrote:

bagpiper2005 wrote:

It depends on what you mean by "cease to exist". If you mean simply that our consciousness and sense of self will cease to exist, then yes. If you mean that our body in its living form will cease to exist, then yes. But the matter that comprises us will continue on.

Naturally.

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

EXACTLY!!! I like the anology: "We return to the same place we were before we were born."

This reminds me of at least two songs:

Spring and a Storm by Tally Hall

Return to Innocence by Enigma

I never said you had to like them. *shrug* 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Gadren
Gadren's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would certainly like to

I would certainly like to exist after death, but I have found no solid evidence that such is the case.  Sometimes it's hard to imagine not existing (I'd say it's probably the only thing that's impossible to truly imagine), but I must resign myself to the evidence that death ends consciousness.

Not that I'm going to take it lying down, though!  I don't really see the point in me not existing, and frankly, I like life.  Thus, I am pursuing things like transhumanism, cryonics, all that sort of research into life extension.

I find one of the worst things about religion and theism is that it makes people satisfied with dying by saying that it's part of God's plan.  In past ages, perhaps it was the only way of surviving when faced with the spectre of death.  But in an age where living long enough to live forever may be on the horizon... 

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it." -Pliny the Elder

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I, the son of god, will

I, the son of god, will return to the heavenly host and wait for all you bitches to arrive for judgement.

I heard that you punks were talking crap about me and I had to come down here to verify it. 

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

zwan94
zwan94's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no idea.

I have no idea.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: I, the son

Watcher wrote:

I, the son of god, will return to the heavenly host and wait for all you bitches to arrive for judgement.

I heard that you punks were talking crap about me and I had to come down here to verify it.

There are more plausible reasons.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Kelreth
Kelreth's picture
User is offlineOffline
sweet merciful nothing   o

sweet merciful nothing

o i await that day 

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think nothing happens

I think nothing happens after we die. Once you're dead, you're dead.

When I was a Christian, the notion of an afterlife was always brought up. I suppose it would be nice to see all of your friends and relatives and know they were okay. It would also be nice to get answers to every question you've ever had. Then what else? So even when I was a Christian, I decided I didn't like the idea of an afterlife. Especially when I realized some of the people that claimed to be Christians. And also, it's said that you are to spend your time praising God in Heaven. I hated church to begin with, now I gotta spend eternity do that? So I decided I didn't want an afterlife. I think this was one of the signs of my future mindset.

However, if given the choice of any sort of afterlife... I would choose this:

A beautiful landscape that changed to whatever I wished. The trees would bear fruit. That fruit would be Poptarts. The river that flowed through the land would be Ginger Ale. I would be served (in more ways than one) by my favorite porn stars. All of my friends would be there. I would have access to any movie, TV show, song, or other such media. I could also switch the media feed to an earth view to watch some of the stupid shit going down on that planet. I could also observe the rest of the universe from this vantage point. I could also hang out with any person either living or dead. 

I think that sounds so much cooler than streets of gold or harps or fluffy clouds. I mean, if you compare the two, wouldn't you rather blow yourself up for that than Allah's balls or whatever?

When I die, I want to be blown up. My body is to be soaked in gasoline after the autopsy. Explosives will be jammed in every orifice. My body is to then be taken to the desert where scenes from "Casino" were filmed. I will be propped up and naked. On my body in big, purple letters, it will read "Supafly TNT." The explosion will be captured from multiple camera angles. The footage will then be sold to cover the cost of the explosive funeral and anything left over will go to my beneficiaries.

So, in summary:

My imagination > yours

AW SHIT!

d4rkph03nix
d4rkph03nix's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we just stop being.

I think we just stop being. I've wondered for quite some time now why people need to believe they're immortal in any way. What's so scary about not being? I promise it doesn't hurt. If I'm wrong about this feel free to sue me.

Also I don't quite get how christianity in particular could be more comforting when you lose a loved one. I mean as a christian you have to acknowledge that your loved one may be suffering for eternity. Personally I find a lot more comfort in the idea that they will never suffer again because they just aren't there anymore. 

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the reason why

I think the reason why people want an afterlife is the uncertainty of death. No one really knows what happens after you die. And you could get the Pope to worry on his deathbed because even though he believes Jebus will take him to that big building of unfiltered child molestation in the sky, he still can't prove it. He accepts it on faith. Also, the human body is a machine that will fight to not shut down. That's why drowning people sometimes hurt the people trying to rescue them.

I don't care what any religious person has said to you, everyone has doubted their faith at some point in their life. So what do we tell them when they're dying? Harps, clouds, golden streets, all that shit. We've developed this to make the thought of dying seem less scary. And have you ever gone to a religious funeral where the person being planted isn't said to be "in a better place," regardless of whether or not they were a first class son of a bitch? No preacher is gonna say "Well... we know where he's not goin'..." Why not? Well, for one, that fucker wants to get paid for the service and no one's paying for that. And second, it makes the religious mourners feel a little better. And that's why when someone dies, even if it is by the most horrible circumstances imaginable, a religious person will say "It's God's will." They actually think that shit puts someone's mind at ease. They don't realize how fucked up it sounds. That's why people say "sorry" when someone dies. "I'm sorry your mom died." Why? Did you kill her? Could you have saved her? No. You just say "sorry" because that's the only word you can think of at the time. It lets the person know that you feel bad about their loss and that you're there for them. It's just customary, really. I think it's all about comforting the grieving.

d4rkph03nix
d4rkph03nix's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just don't see how atheism

I just don't see how atheism fails to cover this. If your mom dies how is it not comforting that she'll never have to suffer again? Why do you need to hear she's still out there somewhere? I just don't get it.

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
d4rkph03nix wrote: I just

d4rkph03nix wrote:
I just don't see how atheism fails to cover this. If your mom dies how is it not comforting that she'll never have to suffer again? Why do you need to hear she's still out there somewhere? I just don't get it.

Well, I don't need to here that. I was sort of playing Devil's advocate for God. I like the way Penn Jillette said how he felt about losing his mother. He said that he knew it was just probability that she was going to die and that it wasn't some weird, evil plan made up by God. And certainly, she wouldn't be suffering anymore. I suppose the only reason I defended the other side of the argument about the other side  is because even though I don't believe I like for people to see why some people believe the things they do. I think if we can see why Christians believe in Heaven, we can have a better understanding when we try to get our points across about why we don't believe in or even need Heaven.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    For me, once i die,

For me, once i die, my mind stops to function, and the conciousiness stops existing, the body will continue to exist until it gets creamated, and after the big party (no funeral services here) i will simply continue to live on in the memories of my friends and loved ones. After that, eh, no more suffering, no more paying taxes or working, time for a nice LONG LONG nap.

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think those video

I think those video tombstones would be cool if I were to be buried. I'd make a video saying "GET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING BOX! I ONLY HAVE A FEW MORE MINUTES OF AIR LEFT!" I'd fuck with people's minds from beyond the grave. I don't know why people believe in ghosts, either. You'd think if ghosts were real, one of them would clearly state to the world that ghosts exist and then tell what happens in the afterlife.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll be donating my brain to

I'll be donating my brain to the study of biological computing. So after I die, I'll live again! Oh yes I will. . .

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
I don't know, and I don't

I don't know, and I don't pretend to.  As far as we can tell there is nothing beyond the brain as far as concience is conserned, so the best we can guess is that when the brain becomes dirt, so do we.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.