Reminder of how much of an atheist I am, and how I much despise religeon.

Eustacia_Vye
User is offlineOffline
Reminder of how much of an atheist I am, and how I much despise religeon.

I'm a student nurse on placement at the moment in a learning disabilities home.  Today, I went to church with a couple of the residents, they really wanted me to go, so I thought, whats the harm, I can just switch off.  Haha, all through the service I felt myself getting more and more livid, boy did I want to heckle.  Just wanted to get this off my chest.  Never again!

Eustacia Vye

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, it can be frustrating

Yes, it can be frustrating to realize that you're the only person in the church that sees the irrationality of the whole thing.

I wonder if the residents wanted you to go just to have you there in case they needed help or if they were trying to bring you into the fold. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eustacia_Vye wrote:Haha,

Eustacia_Vye wrote:

Haha, all through the service I felt myself getting more and more livid, boy did I want to heckle.  Just wanted to get this off my chest.  Never again!

I think that's why I was never won over by christianity in the first place. I can't have a 1-way conversation. When I was at school I would question every second thing the teacher said. At church the understanding was that it's not acceptable to raise your hand and say "hold on, this doesn't add up."

When I am being lectured what I tend to do is create a mental (or written if I have the resouces) list of everything that doesn't make sense and needs to be questioned. At university I could ask these after the lecture or in the next tutorial but, again, it was understood that it was not acceptable to grab the preacher after the service and demand he explain himself.

I'm very uncomfortable while I'm waiting to point out the problems I saw in the arugment so when I never get to do so, as is the case with church, I am not happy at all.

I really don't get people who can just be spoken at and sit there quietly absorbing it. Maybe that's the fundamental difference between me and the believers.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
Eustacia_Vye wrote:

Haha, all through the service I felt myself getting more and more livid, boy did I want to heckle.  Just wanted to get this off my chest.  Never again!

I really don't get people who can just be spoken at and sit there quietly absorbing it. Maybe that's the fundamental difference between me and the believers.

They have been taught to do that. Most just don't know any better.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.