Church “con trick” to raise money from businesses

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church “con trick” to raise money from businesses

This is taken from an article on the British Humanist Association website:

"The British Humanist Association has challenged the Rector of St Giles in the Fields, London , to justify the deceptive way in which he is trying to raise money from local businesses - and from the BHA itself! It is suspected that similar methods are widely used across the country.

The Rector, William Jacob, has sent local non-domestic ratepayers a ‘rate demand’ that quotes their local authority rating reference numbers and rateable values. It is headed ‘Formal Notice of Church Rate Due’, states ‘ ’ in bold type, and says in a sub-heading it is ‘Payable by 30th September 2007’. It is legalistically worded with references to legislation and attaches a remittance form."

for full article goto :

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/newsarticleview.asp?article=2388

[MOD EDIT - fixed link]

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
I understand in some

I understand in some Buddhist sects the monks are not allowed to handle money.

Imagine this being applied to ministers and priests.  The landscape would change.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently this is a tactic

Apparently this is a tactic that some non-profits are taking in the U.S. also.

I have been a regular contributor to several animal groups in the past.  When the donations don't show up often enough, I have received the equivilent of an invoice from some of these groups.

Needless to say, I was not amused and responded that if I EVER receive another invoice, they will never receive another cent from me. 

Several groups have now been put on my "never send them another cent" list. 

However, one group sent my letter up the line and i received a very nice note from the president of the organization apologizing for the tone of the fundraising letter.  As a result, they are now on my list to get larger donations when I can afford it.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.