Submit your questions! AAI 2007 Conference

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Submit your questions! AAI 2007 Conference

It's getting close to arguably the largest atheist event this year (perhaps the most important in history?), the 2007 Atheist Alliance International conference in the Washington DC metro area! I will be attending (special thanks go out to Sapient) along with, yes, Sapient and the whole RRS crew, not to mention plenty of other well knows in our community. Well the big stars here are really the guest speakers, and damn is there an impressive list. One of the ways RRS is preparing to take advantage of this incredible collection of skeptical super-stars by asking YOU, our dedicated base, for INTERVIEW QUESTIONS.

During the conference, the Squad will have the opportunity to interview most, if not all of the impressive speakers. Why not help us out by offering up your own ideas for questions?

Conference Info:

September 28th-30th,

The Crown Plaza Hotel, Arlington/Crystal City, Virginia

Thurday
September 27
Fundraising events - 8:00pm

Friday
September 28

Board Meeting - 9-5
(observers welcome)
RDFRS presentation - 11am
Registration - 3pm
Reception - 5pm
Welcome - 7pm

Saturday
September 29

Workshops - 9am
Lunch - 11:30pm
Plenary Session - 12pm
Banquet - 7pm

Sunday
September 30

Sessions - 9am
Closing Ceremony - 11am
Convention concludes at noon

Speakers:

What they say about the RRS:

Quote:
"(The Rational Response Squad will be on hand throughout

the convention to conduct interviews and to film anyone

interested in participating in their “Blasphemy Challenge.”

Please visit them in the Mt. Vernon Room and sign up for a

specific appointment time.)"

And

"Create your lunch to-go and

take it back to the Arlington Ballroom to enjoy a 20 minute

show featuring atheist rapper Greydon Square. This artist

has appeared on Nightline, on a special about online atheism

that focused on the Rational Response Squad’s “Blasphemy

Challenge.”

So please, let us know what your questions are, and look forward to some great stuff from RRS in the future.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
*BUMP*

*BUMP*

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are you having an

Why are you having an atheists conference?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm going to be

Well, I'm going to be there, but one of the things I'm interested in knowing is how these people feel about the best ways of communicating with large numbers of people.  After all, the theists have their dinosaurs with saddles, and we have a few websites, and one or two TV shows on the BBC.

How do we mobilize the everyday people, and motivate them to stand up politically in their communities?

How do we encourage political groups to recognize the immense power of a voting block consisting of around 15% of the total population?  In other words, if a political party can target theists and use religion as a political motivator, how could a political party target atheists and use separation of religion and government as a political motivator?  How could they market it so that it would be appealing? 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Well,

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, I'm going to be there, but one of the things I'm interested in knowing is how these people feel about the best ways of communicating with large numbers of people. After all, the theists have their dinosaurs with saddles, and we have a few websites, and one or two TV shows on the BBC.

How do we mobilize the everyday people, and motivate them to stand up politically in their communities?

How do we encourage political groups to recognize the immense power of a voting block consisting of around 15% of the total population? In other words, if a political party can target theists and use religion as a political motivator, how could a political party target atheists and use separation of religion and government as a political motivator? How could they market it so that it would be appealing?

Alright Hamby, I'm gonna have to go rent Revenge of the Nerds tonight because of you.  Why?  Because I believe there are some lessons we atheists can learn from it!  Be looking out for an essay... Tongue out

It's a damn good question.  I asked it to Richard Dawkins twice already.  He seems to have even less of an idea then I lol 

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Why

The Patrician wrote:

See Hambydamnit's question, and think reeeeeal hard.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Alright Hamby, I'm

Quote:
Alright Hamby, I'm gonna have to go rent Revenge of the Nerds tonight because of you.  Why?  Because I believe there are some lessons we atheists can learn from it!  Be looking out for an essay... Tongue out

I'm anxiously waiting.

This is a big issue for me, but I seldom write about it because I don't know the answer, either.  Clearly atheists have an image problem, and I think it's naive to blame it entirely on theists.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Julia Sweeney -

WTF is a 'Monologist' and why does she have more than one label if she is one?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Julia Sweeney -

Quote:

Fancy-Schmancy talk for "speaker."

She does lots of monologues.

Books about atheism

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

Fancy-Schmancy talk for "speaker."

She does lots of monologues.

Will she do the "There is no Santa Claus!" talk again?Smiling 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anybody willing to give me

Anybody willing to give me a spot on their floor Saturday night?

I am going too. But having procrastinated and lacking funds up untill now(had to save my money) getting a room is impossible at this point, unless someone attending had a freind cancel, keep me in mind.

Not only am I willing to pay for the cot or bring a sleeping blanket, I can pay you cash AND FREE copies of "God Is Not Great", "Atheism The Case Against God" and "The God Delusion". I have read them all.

Any intrested parties can PM me here at this site. Look forward to meeting you all and seing Brian(Sapient) again. Look forward to meeting Kelly and Rook for the first time. Hopefully Jake too.

All those atheists in one building, WOW!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Bump... post your questions

Bump...

post your questions for the folks mentioned in the first post.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote:

Tomcat wrote:

The Patrician wrote:

See Hambydamnit's question, and think reeeeeal hard.

*Reads question*

So, given that pressure groups are predominately composed of religious moderates as well as atheists, why do we need an atheist conference?

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Bump, and a question I'm

Bump, and a question I'm thinking of asking Hitchens:

When Thomas Jefferson established the University of Virginia, he asked that there be no divinity school, and hoped for an environment that would allow students to "follow the truth wherever it may lead."  Today, a Christian chapel provides ironic juxtaposition next to Jefferson's "secular cathederal," the Rotunda (Dawkins used that phrase on his visit there last autumn).  Real exposure to atheistic / godless thinking seems to have been bullied out of our universities by a resurgent religious presense.  What would you do/what would you recommend to us to give others the courage to reintroduce nontheistic thought into our academic institutions?

Waiting for more questions from ya'll....

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote:

The Patrician wrote:

The Atheist Alliance International, which I serve as a Board member (on behalf of the Freethought Society of Greater Philadelphia) is holding its 13th annual convention this year, but other groups that serve nontheists, such as American Atheists and the American Humanist Association, have been hosting annual conventions for nearly 70 years.

A listing of major events for nontheists is here: http://infidels.org/events/ (see page for links to even more events).

Sapient is asking the speakers questions; AAI President Margaret Downey is probably the best qualified to state "why" the event is being held. After all, the other speakers are the guests, not the organizers, of the convention.

Organizations hold conventions for a variety of reasons: giving their members a chance to meet and socialize, bringing educational speakers out to the public to enlighten and inspire them, holding official Board meetings, and more. Conference attendees may avail themselves of informative literature and other media being distributed or sold at the events, and hard-working atheist authors can sign copies of their books. Organizations can attract new members, whose membership dollars support their work and outreach. Friendship and fun go hand-in-hand with the mind-enriching environment.

Obviously, not all atheists enjoy hearing speakers talk, or socializing with other atheists. But for those who like to broaden their horizons, meet their favorite writers and speakers, and network socially with their fellow atheists, conventions provide an exciting avenue for both socializing and being intellectually stimulated.

Also, partying in a hotel is a damn lot of fun. The evening adventures of playful atheists is my favorite part of the coference. I mean, this one time, I had the entire Secular Student Alliance in my room, and... well, I'll tell you if I meet you at a convention one day.

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
PS: the AAI Convention

PS: the AAI Convention Schedule is here:

http://atheistalliance.org/conventions/2007/2007%20AAI%20Convention%20Schedule%20and%20Information.pdf

My presentation is at 9:45 Sunday morning, and then I have to leave because the Secular Coalition for America has its Board meeting at noon (yes, I'm on their Board too) so try to find me on Friday night if you can, since I'll be busy all weekend! 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I look foward to meeting as

I look foward to meeting as many of you as I can and meeting the same faces I did at prior events. It is going to be fun.

I have a question for Hitchens.

He debated an Irish Catholic on TV who kept blasting his book about Mother Tarresa saying that it had no "bibliography". 

Hitchens didnt respond to that much and I think his attitude was, if something is widely printed and common knowlege a quote of source is not nessary.

It seems to me Hitchens may miss the point that what he considers common knowlege or WHAT IS common knowlege other people may not see it as such.

Isnt it safer to quote the source so you dont have to deal with morons constantly saying, "Why should I believe that, where is your source". 

For Dawkins,

"You say you dont debate. But you adimatly want more of the scientific community speaking out against psudo science which is nothing more than religion playing politics. Can that stance be taken by the oposition to mean, "You Mr Dawkins, have something to hide." How do you respond to that charge, and what kind of tactic should scientists take?"  

For Julia Sweeny,

Without mentioning names. Have you ever run into big names in media that profess no belief, whom keep silent."

For Graydon,

Other than our community reaction "atheist reaction" how is the music world and theistic society reciving your music?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a little bit of a

This is a little bit of a digression, but it might work its way into a question if I let it percolate a bit longer.

My mother is a borderline Christian, but a devout theist.  By that, I mean that when pressed, she will admit that the literal Christian story doesn't exactly make sense, but that she's absolutely sure that god exists and that there's a lot of good in Christianity.

When I told her that I'll be attending this conference, her response was essentially, "I bet that will be some thought provoking conversation.  You'll be able to ponder some very difficult questions."

Now, I know how to read between the lines, and what she meant was "It'll be good for you to be able to discuss whether or not god exists, and talk about the pros and cons of evolution."  The thing is, she doesn't realize that there isn't a debate about either.  The bigger issue is that she's representative of probably 50-60% of the country!

So, if there's a question, it's got something to do with an effective way to communicate the idea that particularly with regard to evolution, THERE IS NO DEBATE.  I know it's too much to hope to end the debate over god's existence, but surely there's a way to educate the public and get them to understand that evolution is a theory in exactly the same way that gravity is a theory.  What that is, I don't know.

I'm not even sure if I want to know about mass media, or grassroots organizations, or internet media.

Anyway, people think there's a debate.  It would be better if they knew that there isn't.  I don't know how to get from point A to point B, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas.

Books about atheism

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Anyway,

Hambydammit wrote:

Anyway, people think there's a debate.  It would be better if they knew that there isn't.  I don't know how to get from point A to point B, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas.

I think an important thing to consider is that there hasn't been a popular movement or zeitgeist to declare how we define what is truth in America.  The reason this creationist shit still gets entertained is that, in order to preserve the solidarity of the nation and cause mass protest, American culture has adapted a stance of relativism, where "anything goes" and there is no way to refute anything.  This is why you see "equal time" as a popular arguement, it fits right in with this relativistic stance.  In a way, this shows the genious of democracy, but also potential weaknesses in our system

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
BUMP I've moved this to

BUMP

I've moved this to Freethinking Anonymous for more visibility.  The conference is THIS WEEKEND.  We want your questions!  This is RRS' big shot to get up close and personal with these prominent atheists, lets make it worth it 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look forward to seeing all

Look forward to seeing all the faces I met before. Look forward to meeting tons of new faces.  Brian, hopefully if at all possible Saturday Night, I'd like to hang out and buy you a drink.

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
All I ask is that you record

All I ask is that you record as much of this as possible and post it on YouTube, Revver, etc. I won't be able to go, but I want to see as much of this as possible. PLEASE RECORD THIS STUFF.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ask them "if evolution is

Ask them "if evolution is true, why do we still have monkeys?"

Seriously, ask them if the "atheist fad" is over. We had all sorts of trendiness attached to the label "atheist" for a year or so, but now it seems to have tapered off. So, did atheism lose its trendiness, and if so, what does this mean? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada wrote: Ask

BenfromCanada wrote:

Seriously, ask them if the "atheist fad" is over. We had all sorts of trendiness attached to the label "atheist" for a year or so, but now it seems to have tapered off. So, did atheism lose its trendiness, and if so, what does this mean?

"Last year or so?"

You havent been paying attention. This "Trend" started a long time ago during the "Age of Enlightenment|" with people like Thomas Jefferson and Paine and Ingersoll.

In the 60s it was Madolyn O'Hair. In the 80s it was George H Smith. In the 90s it was Ellen  Johnson. In the late 90s and early 2000s it was Reginald Finley and the atheist network. Others like Margeret Downy.......MANY, have always been part of this for decades upon decades.

You are only seeing the tip of the iceburg with all these atheist best sellers in the past year. But there was a ton of activity that helped shape what we see today.

What does it mean? It is not a "trend" like the Rubix cube or a fad. This movement has it's spotlight moments, but those spotlight moments are not what are important. LONG TERM continuation by every secularist and skeptic and atheist.

"Trend" is a horrible discription and devalues the hard work that has been done by atheists, not just at this site, but all over the internet.

Our voice will only fade if we let it and it is in no way a "trend". It is a movement.

Atheists are not a campy plad suit from bygone days. We are a marginalized minority that is tired of being demonized and tired of being left out of the public forum. We are tired of psudo science polluting the minds of young minds because some theocrat wants to promote their deity.

This is not a trend. This is a serious movement and can and will continue and will get stronger. 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure these people get a

I'm sure these people get a lot of "i'll pray for you" comments at the end of a conversation with a theist or probably just in their inbox in general.  How do they respond and if they ignore this isn't that in essence helping to confirm belief in a theist by not raising an objection?

Greydon Square deviates from the typical popular hip hop message of women and bling.  Who are his influences? Musicians of other genres with more a more educational message or simply a combination of Physics and seeing a need within Hip Hop?

The conference is sold out and has been for a few months.  Is this typical or is there simply more interest?

On an aside, I'm really regreting not registering for the conference.  While I live within driving distance and wouldn't need a hotel I really didn't have the money back when there were seats left - not that I have the money now.  Hopefully the DVDs will be affordably priced or have some sort of student discount. 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:

"Last year or so?"

You havent been paying attention. This "Trend" started a long time ago during the "Age of Enlightenment|" with people like Thomas Jefferson and Paine and Ingersoll.

In the 60s it was Madolyn O'Hair. In the 80s it was George H Smith. In the 90s it was Ellen Johnson. In the late 90s and early 2000s it was Reginald Finley and the atheist network. Others like Margeret Downy.......MANY, have always been part of this for decades upon decades.

You are only seeing the tip of the iceburg with all these atheist best sellers in the past year. But there was a ton of activity that helped shape what we see today.

What does it mean? It is not a "trend" like the Rubix cube or a fad. This movement has it's spotlight moments, but those spotlight moments are not what are important. LONG TERM continuation by every secularist and skeptic and atheist.

"Trend" is a horrible discription and devalues the hard work that has been done by atheists, not just at this site, but all over the internet.

Our voice will only fade if we let it and it is in no way a "trend". It is a movement.

Atheists are not a campy plad suit from bygone days. We are a marginalized minority that is tired of being demonized and tired of being left out of the public forum. We are tired of psudo science polluting the minds of young minds because some theocrat wants to promote their deity.

This is not a trend. This is a serious movement and can and will continue and will get stronger.

Be that as it may, the public opinion is that this is a trend, and the spotlight is now waning. That's what my question is about:what effect will this have?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:

"Last year or so?"

In the 60s it was Madolyn O'Hair. In the 80s it was George H Smith. In the 90s it was Ellen Johnson. In the late 90s and early 2000s it was Reginald Finley and the atheist network. Others like Margeret Downy.......MANY, have always been part of this for decades upon decades.

Be that as it may, the public opinion is that this is a trend, and the spotlight is now waning. That's what my question is about:what effect will this have?

What are you on about? There are tons of people who come here and to other atheist sites who are CONSTANTLY active, and I dont see any signs of that slowing down. You are focused on hills and vallys on mainstreem attention span, and what is more important is long term.

It is like a stock market graph, the bar goes up and down, but the long term trend for atheists has been going up.

I myself since 2001 have had 18 opions printed in the paper where I used to live, and two printed here where I live now since last year. That is just me.

There are tons of people online who people like Rational Responders, Infidel Guy, Atheist Network, Internet Infidels and countless others do to motivate non-believers to speak out. 

Now, I dont know why you seem to have a pessimistic view just because athiests dont have a sictom on CBS. I have been on atheist boards since 2001, and I can tell you the trend is upwards, not downwards.

I remember when Atheist Network, created by Jake And Reggie only had a handfull of members. Because of their work that started in the late 90s, almost ten years later, there has been an explosion of atheist stites, and more and more people being open as a result.

I dont know what you seemed to be worried about. Our voice is strong and healthy, and when the spotlight dims it doesnt mean that it is perminate or a downward spiral and there are not those who think long term. The times are with us and if you want to call it a trend, it is a positive one. 

Because of people like George Smith, because of people like Ellen Johnson, because of people like Reggie, Jake, Brian and RRS we DO have a strong voice.

Focusing on one year does not tell the full story. Where you get the idea that being out of the spotlight is death to a movement is absurd. There is alot more to a movement than being interviewed Barbra Walters 7 days a week.

I dont know where you get this. I have never seen such an increase in the awarness of atheists. I dont see it stoping and unlike your pessimistic view, I see it growing. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a link to a story

Here is a link to a story printed just a couple days ago.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/religion/columns/070922a.shtml

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you get a chance to talk to Julia Sweeney

You should ask her

Does being such an outspoken Atheist prevent you from getting roles in films? Does she feel prejudice or animosity from Co workers or Casting Directors ect?

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out