At what age did you become an atheist?

Bigg
Bigg's picture
Posts: 130
Joined: 2007-06-10
User is offlineOffline
At what age did you become an atheist?

Curious,what age did most of you become an atheist,why,how hard was it for you to make the transition,and how much shit did you catch from coming out?

Id say i never truly believed,i was skeptical at age 5,but mom and great grandma were catholic,so I still had to go to church till i was 15/16,went completely atheist by age 7(from a too young age I could form my own educated/semi educated conclusions from a young age since i was always skeptical about anything cept santa(well not really,but the extra presents,well not extra,but having a few from santa just made it feel/appeari got more people feeding my childish need for toys coupled with it made mom smile me opening a present that i might not have gotten otherwise.Plus the santa thing I guess allowed me to still seem innocent/childish,which I know made them feel good,even to this day id give a child a present from santa,just makes them so giddy with delight.

But anyway,curious,want honest answers,input,etc.

Im sure many of you were late bloomers becoming atheist,with all the bs spewed by the majority.Guess

Im just trying to figure out how fucked up i was as a child being skeptical so young,or "enlightened"

through my own deductive reasoning as an immature little kid? 

 

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus


Bigg
Bigg's picture
Posts: 130
Joined: 2007-06-10
User is offlineOffline
Nother thing to add,hope i

Nother thing to add,hope i was coherent enough in what i wanted to be said,stil half asleep with sleeping pills in my system so i can get enough rest for tomorrow for work,so I may sound a bit off,but it looks understandable to me.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Birth.

Birth.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
Posts: 208
Joined: 2006-12-18
User is offlineOffline
I've never held the belief

I've never held the belief in a God.


Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
Posts: 138
Joined: 2007-05-09
User is offlineOffline
Let's see, born default

Let's see, born default atheist, my parents were pretty much non practicing Christians. So I did believe in God yet I was not brainwashed or pressured into believing the bullshit, hence had room to freethink. And now I'm an evil godless Commie (liberal) bastard, and getting in Newsweek for it baby!

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
I was never indoctrinated,

I was never indoctrinated, so I didn't think about it until sixteen or so. At that point, I was only familiar with the strong atheist position, and considered myself agnostic or a non-practicing Catholic. At 19, a relative responded to something in passing, "I believe in Jesus." That was the first time I started to really realize, "Shoot, I don't believe this shit at all." At 21, a monk stayed at my parents' house, and was casually pushing us toward a Brahman sect. The concept of belief never seemed more foreign to me. At 22, I started arguing with friends and relatives about religion, calling them out for being so steadfast in claiming to believe things they couldn't even explain to me. At that age I started testing the waters, calling myself an agnostic-atheist (AKA "weak" atheist).


rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
Posts: 378
Joined: 2007-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: Curious,what

Bigg wrote:
Curious,what age did most of you become an atheist

20.

Bigg wrote:
why

Because there's no evidence supporting the existence of a god.

Bigg wrote:
how hard was it for you to make the transition

6 months in denial, maybe a year post-denial.

Bigg wrote:
and how much shit did you catch from coming out?

Very little. But I waited until I'd been living away from my family for years to tell them.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.


Bigg
Bigg's picture
Posts: 130
Joined: 2007-06-10
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:
I was never indoctrinated, so I didn't think about it until sixteen or so. At that point, I was only familiar with the strong atheist position, and considered myself agnostic or a non-practicing Catholic. At 19, a relative responded to something in passing, "I believe in Jesus." That was the first time I started to really realize, "Shoot, I don't believe this shit at all." At 21, a monk stayed at my parents' house, and was casually pushing us toward a Brahman sect. The concept of belief never seemed more foreign to me. At 22, I started arguing with friends and relatives about religion, calling them out for being so steadfast in claiming to believe things they couldn't even explain to me. At that age I started testing the waters, calling myself an agnostic-atheist (AKA "weak" atheist).

The never indoctrnated part somewhat goes with my theistic

upbringing,mom was wondering about my agnostic/atheist thiking from a young age,but luckily she isnt a total convert

or you are a sinful blasphemer bullshit i see alot of,she knew i was skeptic

and didnt et it bother her too much,she wants me to convert/suck the teet of the church,but never really pushed full force,just those what if/how could you be different? shit.luckily our relationship is of

understanding,we have opposing views,and its respected,me to her,her to me

she tries to get me into church time to time,which i do

doesnt think theres much a chance of my conversion,i still help out the local churches tho when it will benefit

the community(helping/raising money for the poor,help those in need,and care about your

fellow man.So in er yes,since god is loving,and cares more

about deeds than blind worship,its usually ends up with

I am atheist,and still help the church when needed for good,and the congregation

appears fine with it,Im a nonbeliever,but still do good,so im not evil,and

caring,i think this church atleast can see the humanity in that,

and even wemcomes it,even from a nonbeliever.moms church is

farfrom fundie,they are opened minded,and believe even

an non-believer can make it to heaven,due to using his/her minds,and still doing good w/o divine punishment/belief,its how one conducts his life,with ot without faith,aslong as its

this church is very tolerant,do unto others etc,dont follow myth and christ,just be true to oneself,do good,and not for selfish reasons,do it because its the corect way of life,if worthy from my works,and peace loving,i have a shot,thats how religion should be,no strawman agruments/bullshit arguments,just be good,thats all these uys ask

[mod edit html code was doing funny things]

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus


DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
Posts: 151
Joined: 2007-08-06
User is offlineOffline
I became an athest around

I became an athest around the age of eleven, basically because before, I was kind of choosing to ignore all the holes in Christianity for my own peace of mind and to make my parents happy.  My father's a pastor, so there was a lot of pressure to appear to be a good little Christian girl.  When I finally chose to think about what I was believing by default, it didn't take me long to realize atheism made the most sense to me. 

Coming out as an atheist was a fiasco.  I thought I'd just pretend to be Christian for my parents' benefit, but it wasn't easy, with all the bone-headed things my dad would say.  I think it took a few months for them to figure out that I'd changed somewhat.  They asked me what was up, and I told them I didn't think there was a god, and didn't care to worship any that was.  My mom became really depressed since she thought it meant I would go to Hell, and my dad just started becoming really hostile and rude to me all the time.  Eventually, when I was 14 or 15, they realized that my going to church wasn't helping anything, and that I was sulking every time I went and making them look like horrible parents, so they stopped making me go, which I'm glad for.


Voided
Posts: 1195
Joined: 2006-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Well I suppose I was

Well I suppose I was atheist right around the time I had a mind. To make the statement however took a bit of work. Besides learning to talk, read, write, think, have a concept of I, and other things like that I'd need to realize I didn't believe in god. For that to happen I'd need to be introduced to the concept and think about it.

I had been introduced at a young age and pretty much disregarded the idea like sports or school pride. "Ok thats nice, I'm going to go play with legos now." Uh this means I wasn't into sports or school spirit, but I did like legos.

About half way through highschool I started thinking about it. "Well I don't believe, I guess that means I don't believe?" That was kinda simple. I still wondered if there was proof and stuff, the "which religion is right?" quest. That was kind of a drag and didn't amount to much...

I started looking for logical proof and scientific evidence for a god. Asking religious people whys and what not. "You believe, what convinced you?" Shortly after that I went from "I don't believe" to "I'm an atheist."

Those two things mean the same thing, but the person who only says "I don't believe" isn't the kind of person willing to use the term atheist. And there is even less of a chance they would be willing to defend their position, mainly because they don't have one. There is also that stigma thing.

 

 

There are a few notable events in there, like church festivals, santa, someone explaining communion to me.


Rave
Posts: 114
Joined: 2007-03-02
User is offlineOffline
I've never had any theistic

I've never had any theistic beliefs. I think I was pretty oblivious of the notion of an adult seriously believing in anything supernatural until I was 7 or 8, at which time I remember coming home from school one day and asking my mother what this god thing was all about. She briefly explained and I decided that it sounded pretty silly. I don't think I really caught on to the fact that the majority of people around the world actually *do* believe in god(s) and everything related to them until my family moved to the U.A.E. when I was 9 and started going to an international school. Maybe I'm just slow Smiling

I became anti-religious after a few more years but I didn't feel any need for a label like 'atheist' until a couple of years ago (23 now). Luckily I never had any problems with it because my brothers, sisters, parents and almost all my extended relatives are atheist too.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
I think I'm going to start

I think I'm going to start calling myself a born-again atheist.  I was, after all, an atheist when I was born.

I acquired theim when I was too young to know any better.  I don't recall exactly how old that was, but I was always taught about god.

I was in my early twenties when I left Christianity and replaced it with some quasi-spiritual-agnosticism thing.

I don't know precisely when the switch flipped over to complete atheism, but it didn't actually register very heavily with me as a momentus occasion, so I don't know exactly when it was.  More profound was my realization that religion is not just a silly belief -- that it's a very bad influence on humanity.  I became an activist when I was 27.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
I suppose I was always an

I suppose I was always an atheist.  My parents were atheist but it was really more of a non-issue.  We just didn't think about god.  It would come up occasionally, usually when some kid would say something mean because I didn't go to church or something. 

I started to really question the existence of a god as a teenager but never really bought into the idea that there was one. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
It's hard to say. I never

It's hard to say.

I never really 'bought' it. I always rationalized god and tried to convince myself that I believed like everyone else around me did. It just never stuck, I couldn't really buy into the magic of it all.

Eventually I just gave up trying to formulate a god I could believe in.


V1per41
V1per41's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2006-10-09
User is offlineOffline
My mom believed in a god

My mom believed in a god and my parents told me growing up that there was one so like any child I listened to and believed my parents.

When I first thought about it around age 10 I figured that I didn't believe in a personal god but there had to be something that listened to prayers and performed miracles... (again, thanks mom and dad)

I never really thought about it again till I went to college where having a young earth creationist as a roomate made me do more research.  I haven't stopped reading since then.

So I've been a non-believer since age 10 and a full blown atheist since 19.  I was never really into the whole god scene so it wasn't a big deal when I "came out".  My mom is disappointed but refuses to talk religion, so I don't know what she  expects.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan


Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
Posts: 153
Joined: 2007-06-18
User is offlineOffline
I never really got into

I never really got into christianity.

after trying to be wiccan around age 15 I gave up on faith entirely, the funny thing is I felt really guilty about it until about age 19 because I thought that something was wrong with me because I didn't have faith. It just seemed so easy for everyone else to accept it and I just couldn't, I needed evidence and I needed answers and the answers I found just did not line up with faith.

The funny thing is, I started looking at other religions because of friends at school who consistently reminded me of how I was doomed to burn in hell. I just couldn't take it, but instead of trying to be a good christian, I tried to be less of a christian.  


JB_Montag
JB_Montag's picture
Posts: 68
Joined: 2006-07-27
User is offlineOffline
I was about 12/13 when I

I was about 12/13 when I told my mom, she didn't like it, though she never tried to make me go to church again. She prided herseld on raising indepent children who thought for themselves.

I became an atheist after learning the basics of the big bang and evolution in science class. Kids asked my teacher what would have caused the big bang, she said "I don't know". At sunday school a few weeks later, the "teacher", took a bag and filled it with all the ingrediants for a cake. She was trying to show a very poor explanation of the big bang. I asked, if my science teacher is wrong, what caused everything, she said god. My science teacher held a PHD, and said, I don't know, yet my housewife sunday school teacher said she had the answer. I knew then, something was rotten.  

 Now I live in Colorado Springs, and get to argue with fundies constantlyWink

The paper read yesterday, the earth exploded, nobody noticed the passing of this hapless planet.


Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
Posts: 259
Joined: 2007-08-05
User is offlineOffline
I would say i was an athiest

I would say i was an athiest by default until age 7,then i got indoctrinated in Christianity and believed that for about 9 years until a month before my 17 birthday. I was an Agnostic for a year and recently decided to give that up because i didn't think it was a good position to stand on. I'm now 18 and an Atheist.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.


Tomcat
Posts: 346
Joined: 2006-10-24
User is offlineOffline
Wow, a lot of long

Wow, a lot of long answers.

 I remember the exact moment.  I was 18 years old


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
I started calling myself

I started calling myself atheist at 31, but considered myself "agnostic" from 16 - of course I really was an atheist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
Posts: 108
Joined: 2007-06-28
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Curious,what age

 

Quote:
Curious,what age did most of you become an atheist

About 10 months ago. I am 25.

Quote:
why

Because I was agnostic and at the cusp of atheism. Then I read about five books on atheism and came here. That did it good.

Quote:
how hard was it for you to make the transition

It was a very, very gradual transition. As a pre-schooler my parents sent me to a Lutheran pre-school. they of course talked about how much Jesus loved me all the time, and I thought Jesus listened to my prayers and watched over me behind my headboard as I slept.

Fast forward to middle school (because I don't remember much about what I thought of god in grade school) and I decided to start reading up on quantum physics (which I really did not understand at 13) and then got into astrology and wicca and other junk like that. I read the Conversations With God books by Neale Donald Walshe, which I loved. they made a lot of sense to me and painted more of a picture of a deist god. I liked that. I read those books as they were published into high school.

In high school I met thid dude who I ended up dating, he went to a lutheran church but still had his own ideas about god and wanted to make up his own religion. So I went to church with him, but I didn't believe the Lutherans, I held on to my deist god. I began to get pretty disgusted in church seeing him sit there worshipping. It made me sad. When I graduated high school, I had the chance to give a sermon.

What a sermon I gave. I spent a lot of time on it, and I kept asking my boyfriend's mom (who is sort of a christian pagan diest I guess) if what I was saying would make anyone mad. She kept telling me ust go to for it. I painted a picture of god in my sermon who was somewhat pantheist. I think I still have a copy somewhere but I think it was pretty good for a sermon. I expected them to try to lynch me for outright claiming heavan and hell did not exist and only existed in your mind. Afterwards the church members stood and applauded.

In college I majored in philosophy, I was still deist and decided that determinism made a whole lot of freaking sense since there is no good way to argue out of it. I am still somewhat determinist I guess.

After undergrad, my ideas about deism began to fade away, because there just wasn't any freaking evidence. The idea of god as presented in the Walshe books is very poetic and attractive, but that's it. It's NICE, not REAL.

I am now earning my doctorate in Occupational Therapy. Believe it or not, one of the big things they drill into your head is that we need evidence, evidence, evidence. We need evidence that our therapy works because otherwise why do the therapy? That and without evidence that our therapy works, we won't get paid.

So I thought... yes evidence. I need someone to explain to me in solid, nonsupernatural terms how this universe "came to be". I also wanted to read up on solid "evidence" for god. Of course there isn't any solid evidence for god. So I devoured some books and here I am, proud athiest.

As an aside, Neale Donald Walsh with his stupid Indigo Children bullshit makes me so mad. what an asshole. The idea that your misbehaving child is misbevhaving because s/he is an evolved psychic huan who doesn't understand customs is such a damaging idea. I used to respect the man. Not anymore.

Quote:
and how much shit did you catch from coming out?

Not much. My friend says she doesn't believe I am really an atheist, but she is a goofball new ager and isn't mad at me, she is just giving me shit in a good natured kind of way. My friends are used to me being the non-emotional, rational one out of the group, so I guess they aren't too surprised, though some of them are a little "sad" about it. My parents don't care too much, they sent me to the pre-school but other then that wanted myself and my two siblings to decide for ourselves. We're all atheists. I am actually the last to become atheist but I have also thought about it far more then they have.

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
I can tell you when the

I can tell you when the Church excommunicated me.  I was 24.  The lead in took awhile.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
You managed to get

You managed to get excommunicated? Cool!  Cool


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: You

MattShizzle wrote:
You managed to get excommunicated? Cool!  :cool:

I spat out the host in front of the Archbishop of Cincinnati, Dan Pilarczyk. It had its desired effect.  I thought my mother was going to die right there in the cathdral.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
That had to be fucking

That had to be fucking funny! Be even better to start blaspheming in a satanic voice!


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
I've never really cared

I've never really cared untill I moved into the Bible Belt. Before that church was one of those things that some people went to and others didn't. It was never a factor in my life untill recently. When it finally became a factor in my life (moved into a small town filled with these people as well as dating one for four year), I started doing research. Every time someone said something about something in the Bible, I asked them "Why" or other various questions out of curiosity. I never got a good enough answer.

So my girlfriend eventually broke up with me for various reasons (mainly me not marrying her while I was in highschool as was 'the way' 'round them parts and me not being a Christian) and I was instantly excommunicated from every social group but one. Oddly enough, it was the group I mainly hung out with (I was very popular untill that point, more on that in a sec) who were rational thinkers and loose skeptics.

I was also nominated for funniest, most out going, friendliest, and wittiest. My school had pre-polls for those who actually think advertising themselves in a school of 500 is going to make them win.  I won everything but most out going in the pre-polls.

After everyone shunned me from their social groups because I had finally come to the conclusion that I was not a Christian, I didn't win a single one. In fact, I only had 15 total votes in all four categories.

So yeah, that's why I'm not a Christian... on top of being a rational free thinker. 


pettman
Posts: 55
Joined: 2007-08-14
User is offlineOffline
I've never really believed

I've never really believed in any higher powers, so in that aspect I've been an non-theist all my life. Actual denial of the existence of any higher power might have started when I was around 10 and the therm atheism I think I encountered a few years later.


ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
Posts: 67
Joined: 2007-05-15
User is offlineOffline
I was raised fundamentalist

I was raised fundamentalist christian, brainwashed to some extent, but I always had some degree of skepticism behind the belief. I remember asking my mom when I was probably five years old, "where did earth come from?" and she answered, "well, God made it." Then I asked, "who made God?" and she replied, "well, maybe heaven did..." and I then asked who made heaven, and I got a frustrated, almost angry, "I don't know!" Also, I loved (still do) dinosaurs, but my parents just kind of ignored it, so I had the weird problem of believing dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago, even though the earth was only six thousand years old... the contradiction just never came up in my mind for some reason, until I was a freshman in highschool, and I had biology class, where we learned about evolution. I decided I was going to disprove evolution, and so started reading a lot about it, and about creationism, and figured out that creationism didn't make any sense and evolution did. At that point I did the most difficult thing I have ever done, told my parents I didn't want to be a christian anymore, and they freaked. My dad talked with me constantly about religion for about six months, until he gave up because it was too emotional for him. He got a couple church elders to come talk to me about different things, so I would have weekly or biweekly meetings with them. That lasted for about another 8 months or so. This whole time I was becoming more and more of an atheist, and the christians I talked to just made me even more disappointed with the religion. I started calling myself an atheist sometime during the 8 months of elder-debate, so I guess I was about sixteen or seventeen. A year or so later, my parents church got an official evangelist, and one of his first targets was me, so I met with him for several weeks, and it was the easiest set of debates I have ever done. He presented all the old stuff about creationism I had learned to debunk, and then started babbling, "what about ghosts? and near-death experiences?" He was desparate for ammo, and it was awesome. I still live with my parents though, and still have to go to church three times a week if I want monetary support for college and what not, although I could move out, since my job covers about  $3,000 a year for college expenses... hmm...


xamination
xamination's picture
Posts: 420
Joined: 2007-02-01
User is offlineOffline
I've never considered myself

I've never considered myself an atheist, but I deconverted from Christianity about a year ago.  It was gradual though, and I don't think I will ever be fully rid of its influence.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.


Ashe
Ashe's picture
Posts: 6
Joined: 2007-08-10
User is offlineOffline
I always doubted but it was

I always doubted but it was only like three or four months ago that I became totally convinced. It wasn't all that hard to transition because I sort of saw it coming. It was a matter of confirming what I'd figured all along. I come from a family of Catholics (on my father's side) and Muslims (on my mother's side), but I haven't spoken to them about my lack of belief. My mom knows but she doesn't care - she's been doubting too so she understands. I have a good feeling my dad also thinks religion is garbage. The extended family doesn't know because I never talk to them anyway.


lester ballard
Posts: 63
Joined: 2007-02-20
User is offlineOffline
No epiphany that I recall;

No epiphany that I recall; I suppose it was simply the shedding of a childhood fiction.  Growing up in the bible belt, I do remember observing that people who talked about Jesus all the time were pretty ignorant.  Still think that.

Interestingly I toyed with the idea of a philosophical god when I first read Plato; the writings were that impressive to me.  I later came to regard his work as more poetry than truth.

I also discovered that, at least historically, religious belief can lead to creations not requiring belief.  I am continually astounded by Bach while remaining untouched by Lutheranism.


snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
Posts: 101
Joined: 2006-12-17
User is offlineOffline
Like many others here I was

Like many others here I was born an atheist and never had a religion forced upon me.   From an early age I removed myself from religious assemblies and services at school although I never fully affirmed my atheism until much later in life

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens


c0mputar
Posts: 10
Joined: 2007-08-24
User is offlineOffline
I was 17 magilum wrote: At

I was 17

magilum wrote:
At that age I started testing the waters, calling myself an agnostic-atheist (AKA "weak" atheist).



I think you need to look at it this way.

You were born an atheist, before your parents or surroundings ever began influencing you. If you were 20 years old, rather then 20 months old, then you would demand evidence to support the existance of this "god". Before this point you would be classified as a gnostic-atheist because you know of no religion, you've never heard of the word religion , so you know there is no god. When you are finally introduced to religion, you will ask, where is the proof? Since there is no proof whatsoever, then you will logically conclude that there is no god.

Agnostic-Atheism exists only because people feel that they began religious, and converted to atheism because they believe (the definition of agnostic is to believe, and gnostic means to know) god does not exist, but since you cannot prove he doesn't exist then you are left sitting atop a fence.

However, since you were never rational thinker when you were first introduced to religion, you shouldn't be held accountable for your beliefs. Once you become a rational thinker can you really hold any opinion that is rightfully your own. Therefore, if at ever you call yourself a name in the spectrum of atheism, that means you have become a rational thinker and were therefore never actually a theist to begin with. You had just been a mindless zombie following the mob. People who have mental conditions get that same type of treatment everyday from the court of law because they were never actually a wrong-doer, but just a "mindless zombie" as a result of their condition.

Since we KNOW that religion does simply a fairy tale and there are literally thousands of arguments to support this, then the only real debate these days are about the existance of a higher power. However, we then we need only to question how this higher power came into being. From there you see how illogical it is for a higher power to exist when by that same logic we'd demand to know what created this higher power. This is where people get really baffled, the anwser is that there was no "beginning". The universe has always been around. It could be very similiar to evolution, a simple beginning of a super super dense material that was so dense that is exploded, and became known as the Big Bang, and then this super complex organism that the universe is now (such as human beings relative to single-cellular organisms) will eventually collapse on itself due to gravity and the cycle continues.

Then there is the argument made by just supporters of religion suggesting that without it, we'd have no morals. Well even now people ignore parts of their holy books, so where do we get the morals that tell us that these parts are immoral. (Jesus said that if we don't live by the laws of the Old Test., we go to hell, and in the OT there are laws that demand stoning raped women and gays and even worse things). We get these morals that tell us to ignore these parts of the holy books by evolutionary and social neccessity.

I can go on and on, but there comes a point when you just have to cross the line and flat out deny the possibility of god, or then you have to accept the possibility there is a teapot orbiting mars.


mileyp
Posts: 24
Joined: 2007-08-23
User is offlineOffline
I was raised an atheist, my

I was raised an atheist, my parents are atheists, my grandparents are atheists also. I wouldn't know what it is like to be a theist. In fact it would be very traumatic for me to become a theist. Religious people were routinely ridiculed in my school (in the UK).


project_zero
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-08-24
User is offlineOffline
Young Christian To Young Atheist

I find this the most hilarious thing ever. I guess I was a devout christian from 7 years to 13 years old. I was Baptized at Twelve, and i did what the church asked. I never got anything from it. In fact i was depressed and had thoughts of suicide. My Uncle was the lucky dude to open up my mind in fact. He saw that i was being "Indoctrinated" or wutever, and spoke to me. He spoke to me of the bible, and made several arguements. My mom told me never to listen, but hey.. It's my choice right? Then my uncle told me to think for myself, don't listen, but look for yourself. And I Did. Guess what? God isn't there. I guess A servant a god should be kind and should accept, and never push to believe. I stayed in denial from 12, til 12 1/2. Til I finally came out. I Dont believe in god. My mother went crazy. From There i was pretty much discriminated by my family, and lost so many friends. And damn that was a hard time, but i thought that people were just being narrow-minded. I never pushed towards anyone about my belief, they asked, i gave them what they wanted to hear, and oh my atheist god!!! I converted people. Thats when more and more people started discrimnated against, disowned me. Sad sad time. I actually ended becoming a writer, a depressed one from being abandoned. Then people read my poetry, saw what they were doing was wrong. While alot came back to me, others remained narrow-minded, and wont accept me as an atheist. A.k.A My Family. They always bothered me about it, asking me why i don't believe, and after giving several explanations, they wont give up. Alot mention things like: "God is real because he has done so much for me." or against my vegetarianism. "God made meat for me to eat, so I eat it" Then i usually make a smart comment about the bible including how people never really ate meat, and the whole thing of forbidden meat to eat, and blah blah blah. They then shut- up. Or say that's not true, thebn i tell them to read the bible, but they never do it, because they are afraid of being wrong. Now im just an atheist anarchist / Smartass to adults, and do not have clouded perception of things. I see things for how they are. The truth: There is no god.


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
I disagree entirely on the

I disagree entirely on the "born at birth" atheist claim. Babies aren't anything when they are born. To assume that babies hold the belief that there is no God is like assuming that they believe in evolution. The idea hasn't even crossed into their heads.

You must realize that in order to hold a belief that one must be aware of said choice.


Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
Posts: 240
Joined: 2006-12-29
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote:

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I disagree entirely on the "born at birth" atheist claim. Babies aren't anything when they are born. To assume that babies hold the belief that there is no God is like assuming that they believe in evolution. The idea hasn't even crossed into their heads.

You must realize that in order to hold a belief that one must be aware of said choice.

They are atheist not in the sense that they disbelieve in God, but that they have no belief in God. Religion is learned. Atheism is the default.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?


CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
Posts: 499
Joined: 2007-01-02
User is offlineOffline
Krehlic wrote:

Krehlic wrote:

They are atheist not in the sense that they disbelieve in God, but that they have no belief in God. Religion is learned. Atheism is the default.

Which is my point exactly. Religion is learned. The stance that one doesn't believe in god or has no belief in god is learned as well. There is a difference between having no knowledge of something and not having belief in something.

 

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes] 


c0mputar
Posts: 10
Joined: 2007-08-24
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote:

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I disagree entirely on the "born at birth" atheist claim. Babies aren't anything when they are born. To assume that babies hold the belief that there is no God is like assuming that they believe in evolution. The idea hasn't even crossed into their heads.

You must realize that in order to hold a belief that one must be aware of said choice.



The baby didn't need to know anything. What I was trying to point out is that babies, and young human beings should NOT be accountable for their own beliefs because religion were forced upon them and these kids have not developed rational thinking yet. Everyone, rational thinker and religious, reckonize this under the court of law.

When these kids come of age, they can finally look at the claim themselves and decide what is real or not. Rationally, they will figure out that religion is false.

I was trying to argue that agnostic-atheist have a hard time deciding if they need to prove god doesn't exist because they had originally believed he existed. However, it SHOULD be that they should KNOW that god does not exist until someone provides the evidence to show that god exists. There should be no fence sitting. That is how science work.

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby"


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Hi project_zero and

Hi project_zero and c0mputar and welcome to the forums.

When you get a chance, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourselves! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
Posts: 72
Joined: 2007-02-02
User is offlineOffline
Ummm well for most of

Ummm well for most of my life I had a very lose theistic belief. I was only really taught any kind of religion when I went to church with my grandmother when I was like 8. My parents were extremely apathetic towards it until I was about 13. By that time it seemed to be to late to really get me believing anyways, but they kept trying (my parents got really religious after my father had to have surgery on his spline). I became a theistic pagan at 19, a pantheistic pagan at 21, and then an atheist at 22.

On a side note, my beliefs in an afterlife were always lax. Basically anything I did in this life had no effect on my afterlife. But of course I don't believe in that stuff anymore at all.

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User


Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
Posts: 115
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
i deconverted from

i deconverted from christianity fully last year at the age of 26. before that it was a very long process, so there really wasn't any hardship when i finally realized that i was atheist.

 

i was heavily indoctrinated as a child, but always inquisitive. i always asked questions and nobody could ever give me any good answers. so i just kept getting more and more liberal in my christianity until i stopped believing in the bible altogether and considered myself an agnostic christian. i knew there was no evidence to support my belief, but i wasn't ready to give up the belief i'd had for over twenty years. after a few months of that, i realized it was just stupid to keep holding on to it, because i didn't really believe it. so i finally just accepted it. no bells or whistles, i was just reading some Dawkins in a cafe and decided it was stupid to keep calling myself a christian, so i stopped. then i got a bagel. and i actually feel a lot less frustrated now. i don't have to feel my beliefs don't make any sense or keep trying to swallow asinine apologetics anymore.

 

i haven't told my folks, but they kind of get the idea. and my mom's just hoping it's a phase. she even bought me the case for faith for my birthday, hoping it would help lead me back. i had a fun time reading that. i haven't scribbled so many notes in a book since college. and it just reinforced that there still aren't any answers, just lame excuses.

Rill


Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
Posts: 320
Joined: 2006-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm

I would say that I was Evolving into an Agnostic as I hit 20 and around 21 I became a full Atheists after I decided to fully study Evolution with as open of a mind as I could. I used to accept Creationism as fact hahahaha yes let the insults fly. I also used to think that the bible was the Inerrant word of "god", once I studied a bit more of that I was also wrong...now I am a Happy, Freethinking Atheist.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out


evil religion
evil religion's picture
Posts: 232
Joined: 2006-10-20
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I can tell you

Nero wrote:
I can tell you when the Church excommunicated me. I was 24.

Exommunicated!!! Respect!!!   


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I spat out the

Nero wrote:

I spat out the host in front of the Archbishop of Cincinnati, Dan Pilarczyk. It had its desired effect. I thought my mother was going to die right there in the cathdral.

Do we even want to know what precipitated this event? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
Posts: 126
Joined: 2007-02-15
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: Curious,what

Bigg wrote:

Curious,what age did most of you become an atheist,why,how hard was it for you to make the transition,and how much shit did you catch from coming out?

Id say i never truly believed,i was skeptical at age 5,but mom and great grandma were catholic,so I still had to go to church till i was 15/16,went completely atheist by age 7(from a too young age I could form my own educated/semi educated conclusions from a young age since i was always skeptical about anything cept santa(well not really,but the extra presents,well not extra,but having a few from santa just made it feel/appeari got more people feeding my childish need for toys coupled with it made mom smile me opening a present that i might not have gotten otherwise.Plus the santa thing I guess allowed me to still seem innocent/childish,which I know made them feel good,even to this day id give a child a present from santa,just makes them so giddy with delight.

But anyway,curious,want honest answers,input,etc.

Im sure many of you were late bloomers becoming atheist,with all the bs spewed by the majority.Guess

Im just trying to figure out how fucked up i was as a child being skeptical so young,or "enlightened"

through my own deductive reasoning as an immature little kid? 

 

 

At age zero like everyone else! My family never owned a bible, as far as I'm aware. So a born-again-atheist, I have not obtained a lot of biblical knowledge (fantasies).

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.


TheGrapeOfWrath
Posts: 32
Joined: 2007-02-18
User is offlineOffline
Birth

My mom was taking premed when I was 4-5 years old.  Along with cat in the had, I was looking at anatomy coloring books and micro biology text.   The was kind of anti religion at the time.  Then when I got a little older, my do gooder grandmother got her claws into me and and started taking me to church.  Just within the last few years have I been able to sober up and throw off the shackles of indoctrination.   I'm free at last, free at last, thank (_____ fill in blank with deity or secular humanist belief of your choice_____) I'm free at last.


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
I first admitted to myself

I first admitted to myself that I didn't believe in the bible anymore at age 30.  Looking back though, I could tell that I had lost my belief before that for at least several years.  I just hadn't admitted as much, even to myself.

I was raised in a small town in the bible belt with a very religious community.  I loved learning about the stories in the bible and easily merged them with scientific findings.  To me both genesis and evolution and an old earth merged with no issues back then.

The real crux came when I started thinking about all the different sects of christianity and how one could know which one was right.  This gradually led me to think that all religions led to god, then eventually that god as humans claim to understand what that is could not possibly exist. 

I'm still ridding myself of the dogma.  And just now starting to think on not what is wrong with religion, but what it means to be an atheist.

Every time I talk to my mother she continually speaks of god and god's plan, etc., etc., ad naseum.  She thinks I'm ignoring god.  I feel like telling her I'm ignoring the tooth fairy as well, but I resist.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Alex14
Posts: 52
Joined: 2006-10-03
User is offlineOffline
I was about 17 when I

I was about 17 when I realized I might be Agnostic. Then I spent several months fighting feelings of guilt and fear. I then discovered the RRS and after reading, researching, studying and asking myself the 'hard' questions I finally started calling myself an Atheist. It was hard though, feeling like you were going to hell, afraid the devil was working through you. All really silly now but back then it was terrifying.

I was Catholic but my family never read the bible. My mom gets very surprised when I tell her about Leviticus and all the stupid stuff it says about Homosexuality etc. I had to show her the bible passage. I grew up in PR, so I had to deal with having to ask the elders in the family to 'bless me'. It didn't bother me though, because it felt nice to have that 'security' of god protecting you.

My mom doesn't have a problem with my Atheism. She says that the people on this site bring up a lot of good points. I have her doubting god. Not on purpose, when I told her to check this site out it spark doubt and then when we talk about god and things like that she says it makes her doubt god. She never questioned anything about it before because she was thaught the whole 'don't question, it's test blah blah'. My grandmothe reaction was funny. I wrote about it:

 http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=183340877&blogID=289957185&Mytoken=494B0DAD-A54F-4A0A-B9DC26C97C31840F3640921

I have a friend who's a Theist and he said he didn't have a problem with it. He respected me regardless of what my views were. He was real cool about it. I did lost one friend because of the Atheism. She never said it, but I knew it was because of that.

Apart from that, I've gotten the usual stupid pesponses. I was asked if I did voodoo by a 12 year old. And I was called sad because of my disbelief by a guy who by Xian standards isn't all that great either (drugs, pre-marital sex etc). I tried explaining to that person my views but once I mentioned Evoluton I lost him. He didn't know what Evolution was.

I was asked where did I think I came from. I said my moommy and daddy loved each other very much and you know...

Anyways, I'm 18 now and ever since I deconverted,  I've never felt freer (cliché alert Eye-wink


aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
Posts: 1923
Joined: 2006-09-12
User is offlineOffline
I was always a non

I was always a non believer.

I tried believing...I really really tried (for about 1/2 hour), but I couldn't help but notice a endless list of problems. Laughing

 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Default at birth - exposed

Default at birth - exposed to religion off and on through childhood (mostly threats of be good or go to hell or the forced viewing of billy graham when i was 'bad&#39Eye-wink  By around age 10 I realized that none of what I was hearing from church, Sunday School or even Billy Graham made any sense to me and I wondered why nobody "came clean" with me. I mean, this all had to be made up...they told me about Santa, why not god!

I am now 36 years old and it has taken a good portion of the last 20 years to figure out what my non-belief means. I stumbled upon the term "atheist" about 5 years ago. At that point I finally knew I wasn't strange, there were people out there just like me that held no belief in a god. 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/