What deserves an agnostic attitude?

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
What deserves an agnostic attitude?

Are there certain things that are best left to "maybe" status, or does the need for evidence only maintain a neverending search?  What things are possibly real or possibly have evidence yet to be discovered?  And if such things are not possible, what is your explanation or belief towards them?  UFOs, cryptozoology, astral projection, ghosts, etc. 

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
(e) It cannot be determined from the information given

Per the posted rules of this forum:

NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED.

There is a thread is this forum named:

NO THEISTS ALLOWED TO POST IN THIS FORUM

The content of this post has been removed.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
It is best, I think, to be

It is best, I think, to be open to the fantastic in our universe.  Contemporary physics is full of it.  There's also a healthy place for myth and imagination in one's life.

That being said, I think Freud's reference to occultism as a black mud tide is on target.  It boils down to the question being presented, and whether it has been clearly thought out.  Things like extra terrestial life, other dimensions, etc. are worthy in my view.

People who go on about alien abductions, past lives and astral projection are as dysfunctional as any evangelical.  There may indeed be overlap:  note some evangelicals' obsession with things like possession and rapture. 

(For some time I've suspected that devil worship is the other side of the fundamentalist coin--e.g., cattle mutilation occuring in rural areas, where there are many evangelicals.  Christian fundamentalists I've been around frequently seem to be in a Jekyll-Hyde dynamic.)

One philosophical aside:  it's good to remember that perception is never passive.  In part we experience what we want/need.  Do I think Hamlet really saw a ghost?  Yes.  Did he see one I could see?  No.

It's OK to pursue the fantastic as long as you're on the lookout for smoke & mirrors.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am pretty agnostic as to

I am pretty agnostic as to the existence of any Pre-Reaganite Republicans.  You know, the Republicans who didn't give a shit what you did at home, wanted to reduce the size of the federal government, and knew what the hell a foreign policy looked like.  I'm pretty sure they're extinct.  Maybe there are some hiding in Republican caucases out there, hoping to avoid the notice of the Velocirepublican-religii.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer