Who here is a Skeptic?

aminoacid
User is offlineOffline
Who here is a Skeptic?

By that I mean who here doubt's other things about life. Such as Paranormal Activity, Alternative Medicine, ect.

Does anyone here read Skeptical Enquirer, Skeptic magazine, or anything else of that type? Maybe you watch a little of Penn & Teller's show Bullshit?

I'm just curious to find out who here is like to maybe help network and get resources and whatnot. Thanks!

Best Regards,
-Austin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I am. Don't subscribe, but I

I am. Don't subscribe, but I own a copy of the Skeptic's Dictionary.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am definately a skeptic.

I am definately a skeptic. Not a subscriber or watcher of any of the above listed though.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a skeptic.  I watch

I am a skeptic.  I watch Penn and Teller's show, and I read James Randi's weekly newsletter, but that's about it.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a skeptic. And I read

I'm a skeptic. And I read Skeptic magazine. This past issue did a great spread on Dawkins.

In the past year or so my new thinking has become, "If you tell me something is real and you want me to believe it, you better have some trustworthy evidence to back it up."

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a skeptic, I subscribe

I am a skeptic, I subscribe to Skeptic, Skeptical Inquirer, Free Inquiry and listen to quite a few skeptical podcasts.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
I am. I don't subscribe to

I am.

I don't subscribe to those magazines, but my physics teacher in high school did, so I got to read some of them. They were good... Yeah, my physics teacher was a cool guy...

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

aminoacid
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I am.

MattShizzle wrote:
I am. Don't subscribe, but I own a copy of the Skeptic's Dictionary.

Very cool, wish I owned a copy. I'm trying to get my hands on Michael Shermer's book "Why People Believe Weird Things". Has anyone here read it?

Jarem Asyder wrote:
I am definately a skeptic. Not a subscriber or watcher of any of the above listed though.

mindspread wrote:
I am a skeptic. I watch Penn and Teller's show, and I read James Randi's weekly newsletter, but that's about it.

Very cool, I don't get James Randi's newsletter, but I'll have to look into getting it! For both of you I would highly reccomend the Skepticality podcast, also, the Point Of Inquiry podcast.

RickRebel wrote:
In the past year or so my new thinking has become, "If you tell me something is real and you want me to believe it, you better have some trustworthy evidence to back it up.

Hahaha, yeah, mine to pretty much. People seem to get annoyed at it. I once got a comment and they said "Man, I like how you just deny everything"... He's one of those people that like's to just accept most anything he hears as fact. He's also one of those people that over-exaggerate's EVERYTHING lol. It's pretty horrible.

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a skeptic.  I don't

I am a skeptic.  I don't believe in any of that E.S.P. stuff (but I do watch ESPN on occasion).  Don't believe in alien visitation, acupuncture, or astrology or a long list of other things. 

I subscribed to Skeptic magazine for a while but I let it lapse.

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
yep yep.  I am a fan of

yep yep.  I am a fan of James Randi.  We need more skeptics in the public eye.

Personally, I think skepticism is not required for you to leave religion, but in America, it's awfully difficult unless you have a skeptic's mindset.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to listen to the

I used to listen to the skeptic's guide to the unniverse podcast UNTIL they were obnoxiously ad homming some friends of mine. I also went into their stickam room under a flag of peace to settle their misconceptions about the RRS. Frankly, I remain unimpressed by them EXCEPT for Rebecca(who could rule the galaxy with humor). I read her blog once a week to catch up. 

I'm actually skeptical of people who believe there is such a thing as a true skeptic.

That was supposed to be funny.

Essentially, one need only read some of the more illustrious 'spiritual' nemeses on the message boards here to find enough material to fuel their skepticism. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I consider myself to be a

I consider myself to be a skeptic. I don't subscribe to any of the magazines because to me they are really pointing out the obvious. I don't need to be told that alternative medicine is nonsense, I can see the lack of evidence and recognise the fact that if it worked real doctors would be using it.

I do own four seasons of Bullshit on DVD though. I love that show. I get to see people I've always hated get the ridicule they deserve. Society gives far too much respect to stupid claims and it feels good to see them finally get torn down. 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

AaronZZZ
AaronZZZ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skeptical by nature

I have alwasy been a skeptical person for as long as i can remember. I was alwasy one of those kids who would always ask those obvious questions no one else never seemed to. I still am that way only much more  derect with my questions and my understanding. I always prefer to do my own research on important subjects.

I do read Skeptic magazine once in a while and try and catch Penn and Tellers Bullshit when i can, Love the show just usually to busyy and i dont watch T.V at all except for DVD's. 

Mr. Triple Z

robakerson
robakerson's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am definitely a skeptic.I

I am definitely a skeptic.
I think that probably 90%+ of all atheists in America are skeptics

I watch PnT BS when i can find it on the internet
and also read James Randi's newsletter.
It's all great.

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
George Orwell.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, a skeptic through and

Yes, a skeptic through and through.  I do receive Skeptic Magazine.  In fact, it is my skepticism that runs most of my gf's off.  "Were you really at home all night?"  lol

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I try to keep a skeptical

I try to keep a skeptical mind set. I watch P&T's BS, also Penn radio, anything by James Randi, Michael Shermer, listen to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe religiously, also Phil Plait is great.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
aminoacid wrote: Very cool,

aminoacid wrote:
Very cool, wish I owned a copy. I'm trying to get my hands on Michael Shermer's book "Why People Believe Weird Things". Has anyone here read it?

I own it actually, only recently picked it up, last one at Barnes & Noble. An interesting read, I recommend it for anyone who is into the woo.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Why people Believe Weird Things.

Per this forum's rules:

NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED.

There is a thread is this forum:

NO THEISTS ALLOWED TO POST IN THIS FORUM

The contents of this post are removed per forum rules. 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I've been a skeptic ever

I've been a skeptic ever since I read Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World, a must read for any skeptic.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm also a skeptic.  I love

I'm also a skeptic.  I love P&T's BS! and I read skeptic magazines now and then.  I am open to proof, but when someone tells me a place is haunted, or a psychic predicted something that came true, or whatever, I question it. 

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yea i'm a skeptic. I've been

Yea i'm a skeptic. I've been todl that i am to skeptical whatever that means.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
No surprise that just about

No surprise that just about everyone here is a skeptic. Myself included Smiling

I don't subscribe to the magazines but I have read Schermer's "Why people believe weird things" and "How we believe"

P&T's BS is by far my favorite show on TV although I was a little disappointed with the last season.

I also listen to the Skeptics Guide to the Universe every monday at work.

I would definately recomend all of the above to anyone.  I love rational thinking Smiling 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

aminoacid
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: Yea i'm a

zntneo wrote:
Yea i'm a skeptic. I've been todl that i am to skeptical whatever that means.

lol, yeah, that's definitely happened to me before. 

aminoacid
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote:

[MOD EDIT - duplicate post removed]

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Bill Maher when

I agree with Bill Maher when he says, "Be more cynical."  We should be more skeptical, too. Smiling