Dealing with the bullshit

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dealing with the bullshit

Living in the South, fundamentalist Christians are all around me. The city council of a neighboring town with a population of about 10,000 decided to do away with Christian prayers before every meeting. When word got out that this was going on over 6,000 angry protesters marched through the streets demanding that Christian prayers be allowed at council meetings.

A good friend of mine is a Christian fundamentalist. He and I have been friends since we were kids living in the old neighborhood forty years ago. But since I have become an atheist, it's harder for me to be around him. It's difficult to hear him say things like, " Satan is in control of the world." So now I find myself coming up with excuses for not dropping by to see him.

Lucky for me my brother and my nextdoor neighbor are also atheists so at least I'm not alone. Still, I'm having trouble dealing with my irrational self talk that "Christian fundamentalists are idiots and they MUST stop believing absurd nonsense!"

I'm finding that it helps to remember why I used to believe all the nonsense too. When I was a Christian I never read much of the Bible. I just went along with what everybody else believed. When everybody else around you believes something to be true it's very easy to believe it too.

Here's why I believed:

1. Everybody else believes it so it must be true. My family, my friends, my co-workers, my relatives, my neighbors all believe in God and Jesus and heaven. They all can't be wrong so there's got to be something to it.

2. I'm afraid that if I don't believe then I could end up being tortured forever in hell. That would be awful. I don't want that to happen. Hell is very frightening. I can't end up there so I better believe.

3. I want to live forever. And I want to go to heaven where life is way better than life here on earth. That's going to be so cool. I don't want to die and I can't handle the thoughts of my life ending when I die.

4. I want to see my friends and family members again who have already died. I loved them and I want to see them again and party like we used to. I can't stand the thoughts of never seeing them again.

5. There has got to be a god, otherwise how did we get here? Where did everything come from if there's no god? I need answers for why I'm here and the idea of a god makes sense.

6. It feels good to know that there's sombody looking after me. I feel safer knowing that God is in control and that all I have to do is pray and he'll take care of everything. If he doesn't then that only means he has other plans for me.

7. Those who don't believe or believe in something else are wrong. I don't need to listen to their side because they're wrong. They're all going to hell and they'll have only themselves to blame.

8. If I fuck up all I have to do is ask Jesus for forgiveness and it will be okay. As long as I never deny the Holy Spirit I'll get into heaven.

So when I look at how I used to believe, it makes it a lot easier to see why the bullshit is so easy to believe. It seems to help me deal with those around me who still believe it. Sometimes I wonder if life would be easier if I just went back to believing the bullshit. Except for one thing.

It's bullshit. Life's isn't a test. Earth is not a waiting room. There's no evidence that I'll get another life after this one or that a torture chamber awaits me.

Now that I know that, the world looks a lot different to me. I know that my days are numbered so I better enjoy as much of the good stuff while I can. As long as that enjoyment doesn't involve taking advantage of other people or shorten my life or land me in prison then I'll feel pretty good about being here.

That is, as long as I can find a way to reasonably deal with the irrationalities of others. Just talking about it helps. And that is the reason for this post.

Rick

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rick, I think you summed it

Rick, I think you summed it up quite nicely.  Especially with #1.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: So when I

RickRebel wrote:

So when I look at how I used to believe, it makes it a lot easier to see why the bullshit is so easy to believe. It seems to help me deal with those around me who still believe it. Sometimes I wonder if life would be easier if I just went back to believing the bullshit. Except for one thing.

It's bullshit. Life's isn't a test. Earth is not a waiting room. There's no evidence that I'll get another life after this one or that a torture chamber awaits me.

Now that I know that, the world looks a lot different to me. I know that my days are numbered so I better enjoy as much of the good stuff while I can. As long as that enjoyment doesn't involve taking advantage of other people or shorten my life or land me in prison then I'll feel pretty good about being here.

That is, as long as I can find a way to reasonably deal with the irrationalities of others. Just talking about it helps. And that is the reason for this post.

Rick

I recently heard an interesting movie comparison.

In 'the matrix' Morpheus gives Neo the choice to take either the red pill or the blue pill. In the matrix that worked. However, in real life everybody wants the 'purple happy pill' that is the cross between the two. lol.

Then along comes Nexium to help you with acid-reflux that can be caused by stress and diet caused by trying to decide which of the other 'pills' to take. lol.

I'm in the south too. I can relate.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: Still, I'm

RickRebel wrote:
Still, I'm having trouble dealing with my irrational self talk that "Christian fundamentalists are idiots and they MUST stop believing absurd nonsense!"

It's healthy for us to remember (and be reminded) that a philosophy doesn't have to be right or logical for people to believe it. It is our fundamental right as sentient beings to be wrong all day if that is our choice. 

The distinction in this particular instance comes in when other peoples philosophy has an affect on our daily lives. When we are under mandate to believe or support other peoples philosophies the validity of the philosophy itself comes into question. If we are forced to support a philosophy it should have at least some grounding in reality. It should have at least some demonstrated rationality. If not, it needs to be thrown out and it MUST get the fuck out of the realm of compulsory support. 

People believing in nonsense is one thing but governmental support (which we all fund) of such nonsense is an outrage and, frankly, any reasonable person should feel the same way.

Quote:
So when I look at how I used to believe, it makes it a lot easier to see why the bullshit is so easy to believe. It seems to help me deal with those around me who still believe it.

Absolutely true. While everyone is responsible for their own idiocy, people are at an extreme disadvantage regarding not believing in mystical crap. We are born into it and surrounded by it every moment of our lives. It's no wonder that a select few (relatively) are capable of moving beyond the programming. If there is any reasonable animosity toward these people I believe it should be focused squarely on the ones doing the programming. Society can have respect for rabbis (is that right), priests, and street corner preachers all day but that doesn't make these lunatics any less responsible for the brainwashing of innocent people.