Argument from life sucks (vitae sukso argumentum)

Technarch
Posts: 127
Joined: 2007-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Argument from life sucks (vitae sukso argumentum)

Imagine if all life on Earth had no purpose and was not created by some superior intelligence.  All life would be no more important in the grand scheme of things than any other life- humans, animals, plants, bacteria.  We're all here due to a chance forming of proteins creating more complex molecules over billions of years.  Where is the story in that?  If all life is equal in terms of importance, then really it doesn't matter if we get hit by an asteroid or half of humanity is wiped out or even if all of humanity is destroyed.  If the Earth was destroyed right now, it wouldn't matter, no one would care, no higher being would feel sorry or try to do anything to stop the event, because the whole time we were a bunch of randomly evolved organisms that happened to live on our rock, which happened to form through some unlikely astral ballet that gave us the perfect balance of heat and life sustaining elements.  And how can you feel warm and fuzzy from that?  You can feel awe, but only at the sheer vastness and emptiness of the universe.  And that sucks.  That doesn't feel good.  It makes humanity a tiny curiosity. 

 Look at how humanity functions.  We're smelly, hairy, sex addicted, and biologically similar to apes.  That doesn't sound like something to be proud of.  Humans are just like animals, just as able to live, procreate and die without possessing a soul?  That doesn't feel good.  We should be better than animals.  We should transcend our existence, become spiritual beings in another dimension, where we can meet some supremely powerful and intelligent creator and learn all the secrets of the universe and be reunited with our loved ones.  Because if none of that happened, if we just died, it would suck.  And who wants life to suck?

Now let's say you didn't believe life sucked.  Look at all the random causes of death from natural disasters to car crashes.  Look at all the crime in the world, the unbalanced treatment of people, the impoverished and the diseased, those who are born with birth defects and mental disabilities through no choice of their own.  That's not pleasant.  Sure you can go about your life unaffected by the world's problems, and you can look out for yourself and your own interests, but then your whole moral foundation is based on you and you alone (and the laws of society), so if you were to be the next Hitler, you wouldn't have any more spiritual consequence after death than anyone else, because there are no spiritual consequences.  There's no spiritual accountability, no higher being to declare what's right and what's wrong.  Entire countries could misbehave and commit horrible crimes and we'd have to actually deal with it rather than letting an otherworldy caretaker handle it.  That just sucks.

But if all religion is wrong, then look at how foolish those followers have been.  All the architecture, poems, songs, sacrifices, martyrdom, all the time spent in worship and prayer and humility and abstinence.  All the symbols and names and stories and rules and everything, all for nothing.  Sure you could accept that, but it would mean hundreds of thousands of people are wasting time doing nothing, all that effort going nowhere, with no payoff, no point, nothing.  Think of the enormous failure in terms of human progress.  And that would suck.

So, given that things suck, and I can imagine things not sucking as much, the logical conclusion is that things should not suck and there should be some alternative in which everything is good, because that's what I would like, since what I want should be reality (since I want to want my wants to be reality), so there must be some magical realm in which things do not suck.   Cogito ergo something.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
That is the most

That is the most fantastically funny thing I've heard all day. Is that a passage from something or did you compose that from scratch? It's awesome!

 It is meant to be sarcastic...correct?


Technarch
Posts: 127
Joined: 2007-02-06
User is offlineOffline
I just typed it up after

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
Posts: 327
Joined: 2007-01-16
User is offlineOffline
Technarch wrote:

Technarch wrote:
Imagine if all life on Earth had no purpose and was not created by some superior intelligence. All life would be no more important in the grand scheme of things than any other life- humans, animals, plants, bacteria. We're all here due to a chance forming of proteins creating more complex molecules over billions of years. Where is the story in that?

Where's the story in that you ask? That is the story. And a damn interesting one if you ask me.

Technarch wrote:
If the Earth was destroyed right now, it wouldn't matter, no one would care, no higher being would feel sorry or try to do anything to stop the event, because the whole time we were a bunch of randomly evolved organisms that happened to live on our rock, which happened to form through some unlikely astral ballet that gave us the perfect balance of heat and life sustaining elements. And how can you feel warm and fuzzy from that?

You're right. If the earth were destroyed right now no one would care because we'd all be dead. Sorry if that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy. But that's reality.

My "warm fuzzy" comes from the fact that we all live on this rock revolving around a star that's one of 400 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies in the known universe. That to me is fuckin amazing. I feel damn lucky to be alive on this rock at this period in time because there's so many reasons why we shouldn't be. The fact that we've evolved this far without being destroyed by an asteroid or something else is nothing but luck.

Technarch wrote:
We should be better than animals. We should transcend our existence, become spiritual beings in another dimension, where we can meet some supremely powerful and intelligent creator and learn all the secrets of the universe and be reunited with our loved ones.

Yes. That would be nice. But since there's absolutely no evidence of this other dimension where a creator and our loved ones live, your best bet is to live now and enjoy this life.

Technarch wrote:
Because if none of that happened, if we just died, it would suck. And who wants life to suck?

How can life suck when we're dead? That makes no sense.

Technarch wrote:
Now let's say you didn't believe life sucked. Look at all the random causes of death from natural disasters to car crashes. Look at all the crime in the world, the unbalanced treatment of people, the impoverished and the diseased, those who are born with birth defects and mental disabilities through no choice of their own. That's not pleasant.

You're right. It's unpleasant. Sometimes life does indeed suck. But that's reality and we just got to deal with it the best we can.

 

Technarch wrote:
Sure you can go about your life unaffected by the world's problems, and you can look out for yourself and your own interests, but then your whole moral foundation is based on you and you alone (and the laws of society), so if you were to be the next Hitler, you wouldn't have any more spiritual consequence after death than anyone else, because there are no spiritual consequences. There's no spiritual accountability, no higher being to declare what's right and what's wrong. Entire countries could misbehave and commit horrible crimes and we'd have to actually deal with it rather than letting an otherworldy caretaker handle it. That just sucks.

So basically there needs to be some kind of punishment in the afterlife for the evil villains. Yes. That would be nice. I'd like it if all the Nazis who murdered the millions of Jews in Europe in the 1940s were in hell burning right now. But there's just no evidence whatsoever that they are. So the best thing we can do is work in this life to make sure those resposible for attrocities against other humans get punished. And try to keep such terrible things like that from happening in the first place. Because if fewer people suffered at the hands of others that would suck less.

And besides, history shows that a belief in God and an afterlife is responsible for much of past and present attrocities in the world. So religion seems more like the problem instead of the solution for life not sucking.

Technarch wrote:
But if all religion is wrong, then look at how foolish those followers have been. All the architecture, poems, songs, sacrifices, martyrdom, all the time spent in worship and prayer and humility and abstinence. All the symbols and names and stories and rules and everything, all for nothing. Sure you could accept that, but it would mean hundreds of thousands of people are wasting time doing nothing, all that effort going nowhere, with no payoff, no point, nothing.

Yep. A huge waste of time. That really does suck.

Technarch wrote:
Think of the enormous failure in terms of human progress. And that would suck.

Think of where we might be if religion hadn't destroyed so much and cause so much harm. Remember the Dark Ages and the inquisition?

 

Technarch wrote:
So, given that things suck, and I can imagine things not sucking as much, the logical conclusion is that things should not suck and there should be some alternative in which everything is good, because that's what I would like, since what I want should be reality (since I want to want my wants to be reality), so there must be some magical realm in which things do not suck.

If what you want is reality then why not face the fact that there's no trustworthy evidence that there's any superior being or afterlife and try to deal with the problems of this world. Face the fact that life does suck sometimes. And maybe if you look real close at reality you'll see that much of life here on this planet doesn't suck at all and is actually pretty damn fantastic.

Chill out and enjoy the good stuff.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?


MrRage
Posts: 896
Joined: 2006-12-22
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: My "warm

RickRebel wrote:
My "warm fuzzy" comes from the fact that we all live on this rock revolving around a star that's one of 400 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies in the known universe. That to me is fuckin amazing.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Mr Rage. I needed

Thanks, Mr Rage. I needed that.

I'm going to have that in my head for days now. lol. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.