Richard Dawkin's Statement

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Richard Dawkin's Statement

ShaunPhilly wrote:
"I think religion is to be admired for asking the right questions. I just think it's got the wrong answers" --Richard Dawkins
I disagree with Richard Dawkins here. I think he was trying to apease the theist. This was his PC statement. He was trying to win theists' heart (figuratively speaking) before winning their mind. here is why. Does only religion ask question about god, creator, universe, or if there is a life after death or not? As atheist/agnostic I ask those questions even more. As a matter of fact I think free thinkers, who are not theist, asks and ponder on these questions a whole lot more than thesit. Then, why was Richard Dawkins singling out religion to give that credit? I asy, eligion do not ask these questions. Religious faith kills the brain cells/circuitry that are genetically/naturally capable to ask these questions.

Religious belief litterally partially damages neuro-circuitry. Hopefully, one day we will proof this using fMRI.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Tim does that mean you

Tim does that mean you believe something without proof?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I disagree with

Quote:
I disagree with Richard Dawkins here. I think he was trying to apease the theist.

The only word I disagree with is "admired." It is, after all, asking the same questions that atheists asked. It's just arriving at the wrong answer, and it's causing great harm because of it.

I think a better way to write the sentence would be:

"I think religious people ask the same questions as everyone else, and that is understandable. I just think they've got the wrong answers."

What do you think?

Quote:
He was trying to win theists' heart (figuratively speaking) before winning their mind.

At least in America, one of the most heated debates is about how to convert theists. As you probably are aware, religious minds are conditioned to reject reason. So, no matter how hard you present your case, you will not be heard. Theists, do, however, respond to emotional appeals, because that is what was used to brainwash them into belief in the first place.

Perhaps Dawkins was trying to use a little sugar to make the hard medicine go down a little easier?

Should we fault him for that? What good is it to "preach to the choir" when the people you need aren't even in church? (Sorry for stealing the theist saying!)

Quote:
As atheist/agnostic I ask those questions even more.

I agree. Atheists are aware that they don't have all the answers (at least the smart ones are) and they must filter new information through what they already know, effectively asking themselves, "What do I believe" quite often. Theists, on the other hand, are often discouraged from asking questions.

(Theists, I know you think you question everything, but you don't, or if you do, you ask the question with pre-scripted answers already laid out.)

This creates an apparent contradiction.  I just said that theists do ask questions, and now I'm saying they don't.  It's not a contradiction, though.  Religion purports to have the answers, and the people who become religious ask questions, and the religion says, "The answer is God.  Now don't ask any more questions!"

Quote:
Then, why was Richard Dawkins singling out religion to give that credit? I asy, eligion do not ask these questions

See my answer above. Catching flies with honey.

Quote:
Religious faith kills the brain cells/circuitry that are genetically/naturally capable to ask these questions.

Specifically, I think religion closes off certain neural pathways when it's indoctrinated early enough or deep enough. I don't think it actually kills the neurons. We'll have to ask deludedgod about that. He's the neurology expert.

Quote:
Religious belief litterally partially damages neuro-circuitry. Hopefully, one day we will proof this using fMRI.

I suspect you're probably correct, but I'm not going to say it's true until we have the data to back it up.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Tim does that mean

Quote:

Damn. That didn't take long. I was waiting for someone to catch that. (Didn't seem fair, me taking his side and all. I thought someone else ought to do the honors.)

Tim, this is a good point. You just used faith, did you not?

OR, could it be that you made an educated guess, based on empirical evidence you've seen through your whole life? Perhaps you put all the evidence together, and this was the most likely conclusions?

"Belief based on empirical evidence and/or probability" is not "Belief despite lack of evidence or evidence to the contrary."

Hume would be disappointed.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahem... HE'S A

Ahem...

HE'S A TROLL.

Seriously.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician

The Patrician wrote:

Ahem...

HE'S A TROLL.

Troll (Internet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Internet troll)Jump to: navigation, search

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts messages about sensitive topics constructed to cause controversy in an online community such as an online discussion forum or USENET groups in order to bait users into responding.[1] They may also plant images and data on networks that others may find disturbing in order to cause confrontation.

More specifically a troll is an insult or accusation made against a poster. It would be highly unusual for any internet poster to claim the title of troll, rather a community member may try to deflate a post that is controversial or thought provoking by referring to it as a “troll”. In usage troll is more of an insult like “nerd”, "jerk" or “geek”.

To call someone a troll is to say that any dispute over a post is not valid not because the issues raised are not valid, but to claim the intent of the poster invalidates the post. As a speech act the term troll is generally used as an ad hominem argument, attacking the poster rather than the content or issues of the post.

Seriously.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. Wikipedia's

Yeah. Wikipedia's valid.

NOT!

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
 Voiderest wrote:Tim

Voiderest wrote:

If you read my post about FAITH I have said, there is degree of FAITH, depth of Faith, which is actually probability of a thing to be true or false. In my post about "why we do not steal", some fake atheist argued saying  "well you can never be sure that you won't be caught". I have responded by saying that we do thing on the basis of probability all the time.

As HD pointed out "probability" in this context. I agree with him 100%. Faith is when people still like to believe on something despite of overwhelming probability against it. 

There is overwhelming probability that there is NO Free Will, therefore, I do not have FAITH on it.  

Probability, that's all we have to make up our mind. 

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Yeah.

MattShizzle wrote:

Yeah. Wikipedia's valid.

NOT!

I agree, that Wikipedia can not be the final authority.

However, anyone who simply write "he is a troll"  instead of counter arguemnt confirms, Wiki's definition of the person who says troll about others, "attacking the poster rather than the content or issues of the post."

I never use the word "troll" for anyone. I will always attack various ideas with counter argument.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim, I'm honestly not sure

Tim, I'm honestly not sure what all this troll business is.  For what it's worth, the mods are confused by some of what you have said, but don't worry too much about the troll comments until and unless a mod says something officially, ok?

Patrician, Matt, it's my opinion that Tim is confused about the definitions of faith, and is simply using a word inappropriately.  I'm trying to explain that to him.  Your opinion of his troll-ness has been noted.  You don't have to follow him around and post the same opinion in each thread he posts.  That would be... um... trolling, wouldn't it?

I understand you don't like being called fake atheists, or have it said that you have faith.  I don't care much for it either, but let's wait until we see if he's here to preach or to exchange information, ok?  If he's a troll, you know I'll banish him without a moment's remorse, right?

In other words, enough with the troll comments.

That's why we have a mod team.

Tim, I'll answer your reply in the next post.

Books about atheism

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Hamby wrote:"I think

Hamby wrote:
"I think religious people ask the same questions as everyone else, and that is understandable. I just think they've got the wrong answers."What do you think?

I agree.

Your statement is far more accurate than Richard Dawkins'.

I will go one step further, however. I say, theist doesn't think about creator, god, Allah, its characteristic, its consistency, possibility or lack thereof as much as atheist/agnostic/scientist/philosophers do.

HD wrote:
I don't think it actually kills the neurons. We'll have to ask deludedgod about that. He's the neurology expert.

I agree.

There is a higher probability that brainwashing by theist faith destroys inter-neurons connections more than killing neurons itself.

I am agreeing with most, almost of everything you have presented so far not because I like you or anything but because of power of your argument. I am such an arshole that I like no one when it is a matter of sorting out truth from false. I like your arguments/presentation.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fair enough, Hamby, but he

Fair enough, Hamby, but he is what he is.  You don't make the same topic multiple times whilst dropping veiled insults and using the old 'Borat English' trick if you're not at home under a bridge.

But I take your point and shall bow out gracefully.

Oh and Tim: Anytime you want to drop the act and have a real out and out debate then I'm waiting for you.  Just so you know. 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote:Fair

The Patrician wrote:
Fair enough, Hamby, but he is what he is.  You don't make the same topic multiple times whilst dropping veiled insults and using the old 'Borat English' trick if you're not at home under a bridge.But I take your point and shall bow out gracefully.Oh and Tim: Anytime you want to drop the act and have a real out and out debate then I'm waiting for you.  Just so you know. 

I accept your challenge.

I have no fear. Because I will immediately accept fallacy of my argument as soon as when you prove it.

Proof, in this context, doesn't even have to be direct evidence. As long as it is logical, I will accept.

I am not here to reassert my ideas but to see the defects in my ideas and make it better.

I gain very little by reconfirmation of my ideas.I gain a whole lot more when I find mistakes in my ideas.

Content of the information I will gain when I will find I was wrong = I = 1 / (log p) binit

I = Information (new info. that I will learn)

log = log base 2

p = probability of the new information to be true in my mind before I learn it is true.

You will eventually see the coherency of all the threads I have opened up.

You are not going to enrich me by validating my ideas.

I will be richer when my most strongly held understanding changes.

I guarantee, 50% of the self proclaimed freethinkers are not even a thinker.

I have collected the poll results on atheist FAITH on Free Will from several atheist web sites in the past. Half of these so called atheists have faith on such a fundamental and important issue like Free Will.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
If you read my post about FAITH I have said, there is degree of FAITH, depth of Faith, which is actually probability of a thing to be true or false.

Tim, it's very important that you understand the distinction here. There are two different definitions to faith.

You're technically correct, in a sense:

1.confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

Atheists have this kind of faith.

2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

Many have this. You've stated it yourself. You believe that MRI's will back up your unproven theory on how religion affects the brain.

4.belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.

This one's fine, too.

8.Christian Theology. the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.

and

3.belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

are philosophically different usages of the word, and cannot be equated.

Theist faith, unlike the versions that atheists have, is "belief despite a total lack of evidence, or evidence to the contrary. To be precise, definition 2 should read, "belief that is based on incomplete proof or probability." In other words, when I have faith that Richard Dawkins knows what he's talking about, it's because there's lots of evidence supporting that, but I don't have 100% certainty in a logical sense.

Do you see the difference?

Ok, now that we've gotten this out of the way, I think I may have figured out the main reason so many people are getting aggravated with you. I'm going to assume that you don't live in the United States, and that you don't understand the nature of American Christianity as fully as we who live here do. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In America, one of the primary arguments in favor of theism goes like this:

1) Theists have faith in god.

2) Atheists have faith in science.

3) Therefore, Atheists and Theists both have faith.

4) Therefore, Atheism and Theism are equal possibilities.

5) Therefore, since you can't prove that god doesn't exist, that in itself is evidence of his existence.

6) Therefore, god exists.

Clearly you can see the howling errors in this proof. 1) and 2) are using different definitions of "faith." This is the fallacy of equivocation. 4) does not follow 3). 5) does not follow 4). It's a terrible argument.

Yet, it is the most common one we hear.

For this reason, faith is kind of a bad word in America. Even though what you say is technically true, theists don't understand what you mean, and they take what you say as proof that they are right!

If you changed everything you've said about faith, and talked about the "problem of induction" and "reasonable certainty" instead, you probably would not have received such rude replies.

Basically, atheists in America really, really don't like the word faith, even though it's technically correct.

Quote:
In my post about "why we do not steal", some fake atheist argued saying "well you can never be sure that you won't be caught". I have responded by saying that we do thing on the basis of probability all the time.

Probably the term "fake atheist" is not winning you many friends either.

"Atheist" is anyone who answers "No" when you ask if they believe in god. It doesn't matter if they disbelieve for the correct philosophical reasons or not.

You're correct. Free will is incoherent. Atheists believe in things based on induction.

BUT. People who don't understand this are not FAKE atheists. Nor is it culturally appropriate to say that American atheists have "faith," even though the dictionary agrees with you.

Does that make sense?

[edit: format]

Books about atheism

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Anyone who wants to discuss

Anyone who wants to discuss Free Will please do so in "Free Will - Is there any?" thread.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim, I'd really like you to

Tim, I'd really like you to consider modifying your statements in the following ways:

1) Substitute "probability" and "induction" for "faith" when refering to atheists.  Not because the definition of "faith" that you're using is incorrect, but because faith is essentially a very bad word in America for atheists.

2) Refrain from saying "Fake Atheists" as this implies that they actually believe in god.  Perhaps you mean to say "uninformed atheists" or "misguided atheists."  I'm not agreeing with you that they are either, but I believe the words are closer to what you mean than the term "fake atheists."

As far as your arguments go, I don't disagree with you on many philosophical points, but I do wonder what the relevance is.  Granted, lack of free will would deal a great blow to most religion (Not calvinism!) but I'm not sure what relevance this has, since the nonexistence of free will is on a level below our day to day cognition.  We perceive choices, make choices, and are responsible for the effects caused by our thoughts and actions, regardless of whether or not there is "free will."

Perhaps you could explain how your position regarding free will impacts the argument for whether or not god exists?  Or, maybe you could explain how atheists are hurting their argument by not realizing that free will does not exist?

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, I never said he

By the way, I never said he was a troll, I just was challenging the usefulness of Wikipedia. I've done this already to atheists who used it against theists.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle,Ok then, we

MattShizzle,

Ok then, we are friends now. Right?

Did you see my response about Troll/Wiki?

HD and other please, let's continue our discussion of Free Will and its relavancy in the other thread "Free Will - Is there any?

This thread was about Richard Dawkins' inaccurate/PC/foolish statement:

ShaunPhilly wrote:
"I think religion is to be admired for asking the right questions. I just think it's got the wrong answers" --Richard Dawkins

ShaunPhilly used above with pride. I am ashamed of Mr. Dawkins' above statement. He is obviously smarter than that. He must be playing politics/psychology here.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Tim,

Hambydammit wrote:

Tim, I'd really like you to consider modifying your statements in the following ways:

1) Substitute "probability" and "induction" for "faith" when refering to atheists.  Not because the definition of "faith" that you're using is incorrect, but because faith is essentially a very bad word in America for atheists.

2) Refrain from saying "Fake Atheists" as this implies that they actually believe in god.  Perhaps you mean to say "uninformed atheists" or "misguided atheists."  I'm not agreeing with you that they are either, but I believe the words are closer to what you mean than the term "fake atheists."

As far as your arguments go, I don't disagree with you on many philosophical points, but I do wonder what the relevance is.  Granted, lack of free will would deal a great blow to most religion (Not calvinism!) but I'm not sure what relevance this has, since the nonexistence of free will is on a level below our day to day cognition.  We perceive choices, make choices, and are responsible for the effects caused by our thoughts and actions, regardless of whether or not there is "free will."

Perhaps you could explain how your position regarding free will impacts the argument for whether or not god exists?  Or, maybe you could explain how atheists are hurting their argument by not realizing that free will does not exist?

HD,

I have tried to some of your above concern/question in my other post in "Free Will - Is there any? thread.

Please, let's continue our discussion on Free Will and its relavancy in the other thread "Free Will - Is there any?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I disagree that religion

I disagree that religion even asks legitimate questions.

Bornright
Bornright's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote: "I

ShaunPhilly wrote:

I could agree with this statement.

Quote:
Does only religion ask question(s) about god, creator, universe, or if there is a life after death or not? As atheist/agnostic I ask those questions even more.

"God" is an outcome of religion. Religion is an outcome of continued human practices that may contain consensus without proof. Atheism appears as a response to end consensus without proof, by a consensus of proof. 

Suprisingly Atheism doesn't ask questions, it's the atheist. Does religion ask questions? Can you practice asking questions every day because and claim you were motivated by something you can't prove exists? Yes. And combined with compartmentalization it is possible for someone to be religious and be more critical of the universe.

"There was a 100% chance I was going to write this" - Heisenberg.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: In my post

Timf1234 wrote:
In my post about "why we do not steal", some fake atheist argued saying "well you can never be sure that you won't be caught". I have responded by saying that we do thing on the basis of probability all the time.

Yep, he's a troll. He's accusing me of being a fake atheist by misrepresenting my post a second time after I had already corrected him in his first misrepresentation. He never replied to my central argument nor his subsequent misrepresentation. Hardly an honest poster, and I think he's trying to get a rise out of us by deliberately insulting and misrepresenting us.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Natural,If you want to

Natural,

If you want to debate "Free Will" issue civilized fashion, I guarantee, I will reciprocate. Do it in the "Free Will - Is there any?" thread. And...please read through my and HD posts there, think, before posting in counter argument.

If you can prove that we have "Free Will" I will be so much enriched. I will reward you for making me more knowledgeable. I mean it. I am looking for solid refutiation of my thesis. I am serious.

Please see my explanation of Brain Washed/Fake atheists in the same thread couple of posts below - case study 1 and 2 and the last few lines on the same post.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234

Timf1234 wrote:

ShaunPhilly wrote:

ShaunPhilly used above with pride. I am ashamed of Mr. Dawkins' above statement. He is obviously smarter than that. He must be playing politics/psychology here.

In all of the interviews I've seen with Dawkins he has been very selective in his words. While the Rational Response Squad refers to theism with terms like "mental disorder", Dawkins goes the other way. He seems intent on keeping tempers low while making his point as clearly as possible.

While it sounds like you disagree with how he chose his words, the sentiment is true enough. Like everyone else, religious persons ask quesitons about where we came from and why we are here. The fact that he said he admired them for it is his own position to take, I disagree but it does not cast a shadow on my respect for him. Nor do I understand why that should/could be the case.  

I don't see where the issue comes from with this statement. It's clear enough and I think the only reason an atheist would have a problem with it is centered around an emotional response toward the semantics of his approach.  

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: Tim does

Voiderest wrote:

I did not get that.

On what basis did you conclude that. Please point it out.

I have said there is degree of Faith on the basis of probability of something to be true or false. I see a very good probability that a part of theists' neural circuitry have been damaged. However, to conclude this we have to process a lot of complext logic.

One day using fMRI we can demostrate brain damage so bluntely that intericate logic processing wouldn't nor require to accept it. Even a common man, off the street will be able to see that. Today, not everyone can to the conclusion that religious belief causes some brain damage.

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: There is

Timf1234 wrote:
 There is a higher probability that brainwashing by theist faith destroys inter-neurons connections more than killing neurons itself.

Evidence? Are you a neurologist (A medical specialist with advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles.) Tim? Cause it may give you validity if you are.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote: I did not

Timf1234 wrote:
I did not get that.

On what basis did you conclude that. Please point it out.

I have said there is degree of Faith on the basis of probability of something to be true or false. I see a very good probability that a part of theists' neural circuitry have been damaged. However, to conclude this we have to process a lot of complext logic.

:: points at vexed's post :: 

Quote:
One day using fMRI we can demostrate brain damage so bluntely that intericate logic processing wouldn't nor require to accept it. Even a common man, off the street will be able to see that. Today, not everyone can to the conclusion that religious belief causes some brain damage.

I see the same kind of argument from creationist. One day there will be proof. This is very different from your complaint about atheists thinking there is free will. Most people see free will as something that can't exist with god's plan. If its not probable that there is a god then the probability of free will existing looks much better. The simple idea that no one in control allows for free will is not faith, but you admit you believe something that there isn't proof for. Doesn't that mean you need to take a bit of your own advice?

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
I already have said that as

Error

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
I already have said that as

I already have said that as of today we do not have any means to show which exact neural interconnection broke due to which exact false thought.

Without direct evidence most people can not understand these. However, for sharper people, for logical minded people, the direct evidence is not necessary.

It is not difficult to see/understand that the reason we are able to store two contradictory information in our head and not be able to see the contradiction is due to flaws in our brain logic circuits (interconnections and neurons). In other words, we are able to store contradiction in compartmentalized fashion
 due to flaw in our brain’s logic circuits we fail to see the contradiction even after attempting to establish connection, (cross checking) our thoughts. 

Every one of us has neural problem. No one's brain is perfect. We do carry some contradictory information. Some have more neural damage than others.

By proper thinking one can fix some of it. One who is constantly cross checking his/her own thoughts are breaking false connection and establishing valid connection all the time. As a result, this person's mind becomes more coherent, consistent, and in synch with nature. 

Here is the punch line.
Every time you learn something new your physical state of the brain changes.

Every time you think and conclude anything new even without learning anything new from outside world new connection is established in your mind - real physical structure changes.

With age we lose not only neurons but also some connections. With drugs there could be some improvement. For your information, psychology has direct impact on physical, material things in brain and vice-a-versa.

Furthermore, I do not have to be a rocket scientist, or head of a neurological department to know and understand these. I do not have to run a hospital to see its implications.

Without being, neurologist, physicist, economist, computer scientist, electrical engineering, genetic engineer, and so on one can understand a whole lot more than what you are suggesting.

I do not have to be on the surface of the moon to know that the surface temperature of sun is about 6,000C.

If one doesn’t span his knowledge across multiple fields and test (cross checks) his/her ALL ideas from politics, to religion, to science, to economics, to physics, then he is not getting the Wisdom, a harmonious mind.

A well configured mind must search through his/her entire mind db. How rapidly one can associate, establish connection between far away knowledge, seemingly irrelevant, will determine his wisdom/thinking capability.
What I wrote here that is so hard to understand?

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim As you say we do not

Tim

As you say we do not have the ability to measure the efect of specific thoughts on individual neurons or the individual connections between neurons. So it's probably not a good idea to make assserions about this area.

Maybe if you stick to psychology (a field in which we have a bit better understanding of the behavior of thoughts) to work with this idea there could be a better discussion. Ignore the underlying phsysical processes and deal with the effect of indoctrination on the mind rather than the brain. The mental rather than the physical. We understand they are the same thing from different points of view, but from the mental point of view it might be possible to build a stronger case without relying on possible future evidence (which is never a good thing to build a case on). I am aware of some works on the psychology of religion, those may be a good starting point.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

Tim

As you say we do not have the ability to measure the efect of specific thoughts on individual neurons or the individual connections between neurons. So it's probably not a good idea to make assserions about this area.

Maybe if you stick to psychology (a field in which we have a bit better understanding of the behavior of thoughts) to work with this idea there could be a better discussion. Ignore the underlying phsysical processes and deal with the effect of indoctrination on the mind rather than the brain. The mental rather than the physical. We understand they are the same thing from different points of view, but from the mental point of view it might be possible to build a stronger case without relying on possible future evidence (which is never a good thing to build a case on). I am aware of some works on the psychology of religion, those may be a good starting point.

PA:

Which part of my concept do you disagree with?

Physical structure => mass and/or energy content of one or more than one neurons changes AND/OR the connection/pathway between neurons alters, and/OR some connections breaks or weaken, AND/OR some new connection(s) is/are established and/or some existing connections strength when we learn something new.

Even if we do not learn anything new from outside word but just think, process, and come up with new conclusion that I did not have before similar physical changes occurs.

If mass, energy, charge, and other physical characteristic remains exactly the same then there is no change in the thought.

Thought in mind is the manifastation of very systametic physical changes in the brain.

Keep it mind that transient physical changes occurs in the computer's memory and in the CPU when computer process.

Plus, please define BrainWash versus Understanding.

What do we mean? More accurately, what we should mean. when we say, Person A understand theorem X but person B is just reciting memorized statement?

What is the difference in the state of mind (configuration) of Person A and B in this context?

Think and explain as much as you can.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Timf1234 wrote:Which part

Timf1234 wrote:

Which part of my concept do you disagree with?

I don't disagee with the concept except for the fact you based it on very specific physical phenomena that we as yet do not have the evidence to discuss.

As I said, anything psychological must simply be the underlying phsysical brain viewed from another perspective. I have no problem with the idea that religion does bad things to the thought processes of believers. That must be reflected in the physical nature of the brain. The effects are long term and very hard to reverse so It's not unreasonable to infer that the physical changes are also fairly difficult to reverse. My problem is that we dont understand those physical processes well enough to allow the level of specificity in your argument.

Arguing that religion has a significant effect on the mind is fine, following that the effect must be at a physical level some change in the brain is fine, putting forward an argument based on theoretical specific changes that we dont have evidence for is incorrect.

Quote:

What do we mean? More accurately, what we should mean. when we say, Person A understand theorem X but person B is just reciting memorized statement?

What is the difference in the state of mind (configuration) of Person A and B in this context?

Think and explain as much as you can.

I know very little neuroscience so I cannot offer any opinion on the physical difference between rote leaned ideas and understood ones.

I have some grounding in educational psychology so I can offer a point of view on that. There are two ways we can add new information to our long term memory: repetition and making connections to existing knowledge.

If you learn something through simple repetition it is a lone idea. It does not have connectins to other ideas. For example I know that the chemical symbol for tin is "Sn". The fact that is is Sn does not relate to any other idea in my head. I had to read it and say it and be tested on it for it to stick into my memory.

If you can relate the new info to existing info then then it is much less work to make it stay in your memory. I know that perpetual motion machines are impossible. this is easy to remember because I know that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that no real-world process is 100% efficient.

So the different structures (from a psychological rather than physiological point of view) are that indoctrinated/memorised information is not connected to other information in memory each memorised item exists as a lone factoid while understood information is interconnected, as each new piece of information is added new connections are formed and you have a network of knowledge.

There is a problem with this theory however. rote learnt ideas often form the basis of these knowledge networks. You have a set of ideas that were not understood, just learnt but when a new idea comes in you can still form connections to that from the rote ideas. I know that short term memory holds 5 to 9 items in most people. That's something I just memorized. However I used that to understand certain theories on how to present information to students so that they can hold it all in short term memory (like grouping a set of ideas into one). Chisitans can build much of their world view on things rote learned from the bible.

Our brains also look for patterns and like to organise things. So it's possible that rote learnt ideas will form connections over time too.

So the result is that no matter how an idea got in, over time it will become a part of the network. Maybe by becoming part of the network it has crossed from rote learned fact to understood information.

The problem here is that you can force any idea in with repetition while to learn through making connections you must test the new idea against existing ideas so there is a way to filter out bad ideas or refine them so they make sense. If the basis of your testing is faulty then your filters can do the opposite job, accept bad information (because is matches the bad foundation) and reject good information (becasue it contradicts the bad foundation)

One test I would suggest is to look at the quality and number (taking into consideration the ammount of time the idea has been in the memory) of the connections from that idea. Information that had to pass the test of the filters would have stronger, more convinceing connections because it would not have made it into the memory without them. connections just haphazardly string between ideas that were already in the memory (in my experience) tend to be a bit more shakey and not hold up to scrutiny from eternal parties well (they may still seem strong to the individual who holds them though, even when the flaws are shown).

A good test for undrestood vs rote learnt is to have the person teach the idea to someone else. If they understand the idea they will be able to explain it. If they dont they will simply assert it or will use very shakey statements to explain it. Asking questions that relate to the knowledge but are not asking for that specific piece also works. for example: If you want to test if someone understands that you cannot travel faster than light (rather than just knowing the fact) ask them what would happen if you were on a train travelling at 5 m/s less than the speed of light and ran from the back of the train to the front at 10 m/s (relative to the train).

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
I did not mean just random

I did not mean just random connections between ideas/knowledge is good.

I meant, ideally, only valid connections and all the valid connections should be there.

Similarly, all the irrelevant things should not be connected. Well, here "connected" is probably poor choice of world. Not necessarily connected but logical confirmation or refutation  logic should be present. Whethere, it is through connection or symbolic logic is the implementation detail.

As you mention, rote knowledge, after some time, eventually may become part of the logical connected network. Nevertheless, at any given time, the more logcial connection you have between knowledge in mind the better understood the mind is. More quickly you will be able to filter out truth from false.

For example, if you show a person an apply and ask them to write down as many associated words as fast they can write. Looking at the number of words and its association you one could determine how wel his/her mind is connected or wrongly connected.

Adam

eve

Newton

gravity

health

suger

and so on probably are the right association to apply

base ball

computer

pen

etc. are not the right connection.

One of the main reason why human are still so superior to computer in wisdom is human apply all knowledge exhaustively to solve a problem. No matter what you have learned, where you have learned, in religion, in physics, in sex book, in movie or what have you, human applies all connected information. They are able to do so becaue we have far less compartmentalized data in our mind compared to that of computers.

computers keep data in various folders, and not ALL software works with everything.

I am unable to find the proper word for it. I know "connected" is not the right word. I should say, "Logically connected". and all logical connection has to be via some physical mechanism.

you wrote:

Quote:
So the result is that no matter how an idea got in, over time it will become a part of the network. Maybe by becoming part of the network it has crossed from rote learned fact to understood information.

Obviously, you are agreeing that networked knowledge is the better one. Are you not?

No matter how you slice it, or dice it, it will come back to the properly networked mind at any given time is desirable. How exactly it stores is the implementation detail. This can be done in a biological machine differently and electronic machine differently. I did not say that damage due to indocternation is reversable. Indocternation can bring in either true or false information. The only way to sort things out is by networking, processing.

Well, think, a little bit more on this.

I will go to bed now.

Timf1234
User is offlineOffline
I did not mean just random

Error