Tired of religion controlling YOUR personal life? Click here! CNN/YouTube Debates *HAVE BEEN RESCHEDULED*

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tired of religion controlling YOUR personal life? Click here! CNN/YouTube Debates *HAVE BEEN RESCHEDULED*

Hey everyone I posted this on IIDB too so you may have seens this before but, if not, once again we submitted a video question for the CNN/YouTube debates. This time Republicans will have t answer. As always, our video question can be found at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates
It is now currently the most popular and can be found there. Like last time, just press "Answer" above the video to give it your vote. Oh, and it is called: "Is America unoffcicailly a theocracy?"
Thanks alot! Let's get this one in Newsweek just like last debate, and send a powerful message out there.

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!

Is America unofficaly a theocracy? Help us ask this to the Republican Candidates!

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I voted. Here's hoping the

I voted.
Here's hoping the republicans actually commit to the debate. Kind funny how they're so afraid to actually face the public they've been screwing for the last seven years, wonder why that is. 

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
No kidding, running away

No kidding, running away from the people with Bush in the White House is a kiss of death for their party.

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I voted when you first put

I voted when you first put that up.  Can I re-vote, or does it track IPs?

As for the Rethuglican "agenda," I say don't be too quick to dismiss party leadership.  They are many things, but stupid is not one of them.  What's a little disquieting for me is that immediately after the last election, I committed to writing a Republican plan for getting another Republican in the White House after Bush leaves.  So far, I'm batting close to 1.000 in predicting their actions.

Bush has done the dirty work.  He stacked the Supreme Court, got the Patriot Act passed, tested the limits of public willingness to accept police state measures, and got us essentially irrevocably commited in Iraq.

The distance the Republican party is now placing between Bush and Party officials is part of the plan, guys.  Their unwillingness to debate will be blamed on the "Iron fist of Cheney, et al" after they've installed the new, softer, gentler Rethuglican President.

If you haven't read the book "Dune" by Frank Herbert, you should.  It's a blueprint for installing a dictator, and I'm pretty sure all the Rethuglican leaders are familiar with the plan.  Give them the devil first, then give them the devil in disguise.

These guys are FAR from defeated.  If anything, they're in very good shape.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you mean first video I

Do you mean first video I put up or first moments I put up the 2nd video? You should be able to vote for it again, it tracks IP's but someone said it only does that for a few days. But we're not encouraging people to cheat so we don't look like assholes. However if u want...no one can stop you wink wink nudge nudge.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok we just updated the title

Ok we just updated the title

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the question.  Also

I like the question.  Also the evolution question that is currently around 5th is another good one.  I would love to hear their responces to them.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks alot! Yeah I voted

Thanks alot! Yeah I voted for the evolution question too.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
bumping this...

bumping this...

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you!

Thank you!

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
BUMP For great justice! 

BUMP

For great justice! 

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you for bumping!

Thank you for bumping! *Bumps*

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Isn't going for the

Isn't going for the refublicanators a waste? They want the religious fanatics in charge!

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, we are hoping more

Well, we are hoping more Republicans wil realize running away from the people is a kiss of death and will join the debate. Once they do, we think it will be interesting to see people like Sammy Brownback and Mike Huckabee try to "answer" this question. Because all these 2 really want to do, is impose their beleifs over the American people.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump*

*Bump*

Unsavedsinner is having problems posting for some reason.

He has let me know that apparently someone is rallying folks to

Unsavedsinner wrote:
get as many "People for the Lord" as he can to vote down our video for the CNN debates. We're not sure if that means 3 people or 85% of the country so, yeah. Sticking out tongue I wanted to let people know about that and encourage more voters.

So please - if you haven't voted, please do!

[EDIT - fixed quotes] 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bumping again. Please

Bumping again.

Please vote!

robakerson
robakerson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice question. I suppose I

Nice question.
I suppose I ceded the country to the theists a long time ago.
I'm politically weaker than you.
Anyway, I voted.

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
George Orwell.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keeping this

Keeping this bumped.

Everyone, please vote!

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
I voted, and I'll post this

I voted, and I'll post this on the ebaumsworld and tpww forums too. There are a lot of supporters who post there that I bet will vote.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!

Ok awsome, I can type on this computor! The other one we were using did not have FireFox and had a firewall problem, so I was unable to talk. Thanks so much to Susan and everyone that voted!
Also, thanks so much for letting people know about this question guys, I also encourage you to mention this to anyone who does not like seeing religion control lives in America. They can be atheist or just theists who feel the same way we do on this issue. Thanks in advance! Smiling

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok the 2 videos next to ours

Ok the 2 videos next to ours are both the exact same videos and they are about public policy, we marked them both as spam so someone will remove one of them. If you can do the same that would be awsome, we also need to get more votes! I think everyone from the RRS that was interested already voted so we need more sources. If you know of one, please tell them about the question. Thanks alot! This will give atheists a voice in politics for once.

Christkilla
Christkilla's picture
User is offlineOffline
Youu got my vote!

Youu got my vote!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, make sure you spread

Hey, make sure you spread this message at other atheist boards as well too so they can vote.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes thanks alot! And do not

Yes thanks alot! And do not worry we are not breaking any rules infact, the site encourages everyone tells as many people as possible about their question so they can get more people to visit. So we are doing the site a favor too if we alert as many people as possible.
Thanks alot!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I voted when you first put that up. Can I re-vote, or does it track IPs?

As for the Rethuglican "agenda," I say don't be too quick to dismiss party leadership. They are many things, but stupid is not one of them. What's a little disquieting for me is that immediately after the last election, I committed to writing a Republican plan for getting another Republican in the White House after Bush leaves. So far, I'm batting close to 1.000 in predicting their actions.

I think Bush really is that stupid, but he's been tightly controlled by those behind the Republican leadership. His stupidity is an asset to them. He's just a puppet. When the time comes they can cut the strings. Funny thing is I think Papa Bush is definitely one of the big wigs. Using his son's stubbornness and stupidity is pretty low, but then again, so is taking over the world.

Hambydammit wrote:
Bush has done the dirty work. He stacked the Supreme Court, got the Patriot Act passed, tested the limits of public willingness to accept police state measures, and got us essentially irrevocably commited in Iraq.

Yeah. I'm still reeling. I just can't believe America is 1) so stupid and 2) so willing to go along with all this.

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat, but I've become convinced that most of the Democrats are part of the plan. They're there for show and what a show we're getting! I'm completely bewildered at this point, which is probably also part of the plan. I don't know whom to support, which cause to get behind, what to do, where to go. There are too many causes and too many candidates and some of them are definitely tainted.

Hambydammit wrote:
The distance the Republican party is now placing between Bush and Party officials is part of the plan, guys. Their unwillingness to debate will be blamed on the "Iron fist of Cheney, et al" after they've installed the new, softer, gentler Rethuglican President.

If you haven't read the book "Dune" by Frank Herbert, you should. It's a blueprint for installing a dictator, and I'm pretty sure all the Rethuglican leaders are familiar with the plan. Give them the devil first, then give them the devil in disguise.

These guys are FAR from defeated. If anything, they're in very good shape.

Yep. The Democrats have proven to be spineless, probably by design. The Beltway has been bought and paid for. Voting is irrelevant because 1) The voting machines are easily hackable. Look into it. Even the GAO believes some shady stuff is going on, but it's been mostly overlooked. 2) In the "big" elections, it doesn't matter who gets elected anyway. Those behind the Republican leadership have stacked the deck by supporting Democratic candidates who are part of the plan.

In short, I have no clue how to fix this.

I've been thinking very hard about how democracitic republics become dictatorships. George Lucas said, "All democracies turn into dictatorships—but not by coup. The people give their democracy to a dictator, whether it's Julius Caesar or Napoleon or Adolf Hitler. Ultimately, the general population goes along with the idea ... What kinds of things push people and institutions into this direction?"

Yeah, George...what kinds of things push people and institutions in that direction? I've been looking at Rome, Nazi Germany (don't you dare Goodwin me...there are lessons to be learned there) and fiction. I've read Lord of the Flies twice this week and I'm reading it again. I've looked at Lucas's scenario in the prequels (please don't laugh...those movies are the main thing that woke me to the fact that something is wrong). I definitely want to read about the fall of the Roman Republic and now Dune may be on my list as well (thank you, Hamby).

Here's a list of things that "push people and institutions in that direction":

1. FEAR: Terrorism and War. In Nazi Germany, the Reichstag fire was a turning point for consolidation of power for the Nazis. It was also (more than likely) a false flag operation. In the novel 1984, George Orwell highlighted the importance of war in keeping the populace "rooting" for their side. Orwell also hinted that the bombs dropped on Oceania were actually dropped by "Big Brother" himself. In the Star Wars prequels, Palpatine / Sidious engineers a war to fire the flames of nationalistic fervor. If there is an external enemy, citizens are less likely to look within their own government.
  2. FEAR: Economic Upheaval. The economic problems that resulted from the Treaty of Versailles and the Great Depression were instrumental in elevating the Nazis to power. Although the Soviet Union was not previously a democratic republic, economic upheaval definitely played a role in the Bolshevik Revolution.
  3. FEAR: Disease. Interestingly, the great flu epidemic of 1917-1918 played a role in the emergence of the Nazis. First and foremost, the disease exacerbated the poor living conditions of the time. As an aside, some historians believe President Wilson's brain may have been affected by the disease. Before he was ill, he was determined that the Germans get a fair shake at Versailles. After he contracted the flu, he was not himself. In 1919 he suffered a severe stroke. Those who have studied the influenza virus believe it had serious neurological effects. This is all just conjecture, but I found the premise rather interesting: The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. I don't know as much about the Bolshevik Revolution, but perhaps the flu played an important role there, as well.
  4. Cult of Personality. A strong man emerges to save the people from all that frightens them. Our own little home grown fascism seems to lack a central figure. It had one for awhile in George W. Bush, but now he's the movement's laughing-stock. If the movement attains a charismatic figure, watch out. It will really take off.

If you have more, please add them. I hadn't really formed a list from my readings and observations until now, so the list is, at best, incomplete.

On edit:

5. A Scapegoat.  As a foil to the "cult of personality" figure, someone or a group of someones is blamed for all the things that cause fear: war, terrorism, disease, etc.  This helps to create a common enemy.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the Republicans

I think the Republicans should be the most angry with him, he is destroying any hope for thier party to be elected.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well the Democrats arnt

Well the Democrats arnt impressing me much either. I think they do exactly what Republicans do. They try to copy each other's playbook and play the voters like fiddles pandering to their biggest base.

They really pissed me off by expanding the wiretap program. I think both parties are racing to the same goal, Big Brother. The only difference between parties is which base they fool and who fools the most wins. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thats why I asked a simulair

Thats why I asked a simulair question last debate. Thanks for your vote! And Newsweek also is trying to write another story about how the Republicans are trying not to get into the debate.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
Is being republican a life

Is being republican a life style choice or genetic?

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's genetics.

I think it's genetics.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, a few people thought

OK, a few people thought this would be a better title. Sticking out tongue

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, a few people thought

OK, a few people thought this would be a better title. Sticking out tongue

robakerson
robakerson's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just tired of religion

I'm just tired of religion shitting on my personal liberties,
and the intellectualism of society (which we almost no longer have).

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
George Orwell.

Ashe
Ashe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I voted for that question

I voted for that question and the evolution question. Let's hope they make it!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ashe and welcome to the

Hi Ashe and welcome to the forums.

When you get a chance, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks alot Ashe and

Thanks alot Ashe and welcome! Anyone else noticed the 2 questions behind ours are the same questions?

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK I have just been informed

OK I have just been informed that the debates are going to be rescheduled to November 28th. Rediculous I know, it's past Thanksgiving!  Anyway they are doing it because the damn republicans won't agree to join. So they apparently need to reschedule the whole thing. 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
they could always grab a

they could always grab a couple crazy fundies off the street and let them debate if the candidates dont join...it'd be about the same I think.