Are Babies Atheists?

Brad
User is offlineOffline
Are Babies Atheists?

I've heard Sapient and others in the chat room describe babies as being "atheist"...as in, "without belief".

While I understand and agree that the strict (and often broadly used) definition of "atheist" CAN apply to babies, I am going to argue that it shouldn't be and that we need to find a better term to describe babies, and others, who are completely innocent of the concept of gods.

Let me set up the scenario...

A baby has no (apparent) knowledge of gods, I think we can all agree on that. So, if you were to (or could) ask a baby if it is atheist or not (or something else), it will probably not know what you mean.

So when you tell the baby that "atheist" means "without belief" in god, it will likely ask you, "well, what is a god?" So then you (attempt) to tell the baby what a god is. This may take some time... you may want to bring in a "god expert" like a Christian, or not. Smiling

Then, if all things go well, you might get the baby to tell you whether it is an atheist regarding gods or not.

Anyway, you get the idea... the innocent baby does not inherently know what gods are and therefore has no position on whether they exist or not, or whether they, as babies, are atheist or not. You have to impart additional knowledge to the baby about what gods and beliefs in gods are before a baby can even hope to make a decision about being "atheist", or anything else.

Normally you do not encounter someone who claims to be an "atheist" who then turns to you and asks "Oh, by the way, what is a god?" The atheist ostensibly already knows what a god is and, by definition, has consciously decided not to believe in them.

If you are gonna claim that a baby is atheist, you would have to claim that a rock, or a bicycle, or any other inanimate object you can think of is also atheist.

The jury is still out on whether mammals, fish, plants, or insects know, think, or believe there is a god, so I won't include them Smiling

But doesn't it sound a bit "off" to claim a rock is atheist? Surely you would agree that despite the morphological, biochemical, and neurophysical differences, both a baby and a rock essentially have zero knowledge of any gods.

If you feel uncomfortable or think it is "irrational" to claim a rock is atheist, why claim that a baby is atheist?

To help understand my dilemma about calling babies atheist from a slightly different point of view, please consider this...

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
- Annie Dillard

So from this example, you can imagine the Eskimo was a person without knowledge or belief in gods. But once the Priest explains what gods (and sin) are and what the implications are for not believing in them, the Eskimo is placed in a "difficult" position of having to decide whether to believe in gods or not (decide to be atheist or not).

Before the Priest came along, the Eskimo had no idea about gods. So would you consider him an atheist? For now, let's assume you do.

After the Priest describes what gods are (and the implications for belief and non-belief), the Eskimo makes a decision and decides that he is an "atheist" (ala, doesn't believe in gods and is willing to risk the "punishment").

Would you STILL consider the Eskimo's "atheism" BEFORE the encounter with the priest to be the SAME as the Eskimo's atheism AFTER the encounter with the priest??

I would argue that they are NOT the same atheist or atheism.... so much so that I realize a NEW term needs to be established for those babies, rocks, or Eskimos who are completely INNOCENT of the knowledge of gods.

Now, let's examine Sapient's (I'm assuming it's him since the author is annonymous) definition of atheist from this web page on the RRS site:
http://www.rationalresponders.com/am_i_agnostic_or_atheist

"Therefore, if you find yourself identifying yourself primarily as a doubter of the existence of a 'god', then you are an a-theist... someone who does not hold to a belief in a 'god', someone who does not accept the claims of theists. That's all the term means - a position of non acceptance, a position of non belief. It is the fallback position, the position one holds to when a claim is unsupported or unproven."

I don't know about you, but the way I read the above paragraph, an atheist is someone who purposely MAKES a DECISION about whether they believe in a god or gods or not. Since I think we would agree that babies have no knowledge of what gods are, or whether there is even a choice to believe they exist or not, the term "atheist", as Sapient has written above, also does not seem to apply to babies.

Sapient also claims that atheism is the "fallback position" for unsupported or unproven claims [of gods]. While I agree this CAN be the case for those of us who consciously decide to be atheists, I don't think it can equally apply to those who have no conscious knowledge of gods. I would argue that babies are not atheist because of an implied "fallback position" due to their non-exposure to gods.

If my own descriptions and rationale are not persuasive enough, I will now pull out "the big guns" and offer this recommendation from our friend, Dr. Richard Dawkins, regarding labeling children in religious (or even non-religious) terms...
http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2005/04/30/dawkins/index.html

"What I think may be abuse is labeling children with religious labels like Catholic child and Muslim child. I find it very odd that in our civilization we're quite happy to speak of a Catholic child that is 4 years old or a Muslim of child that is 4, when these children are much too young to know what they think about the cosmos, life and morality. We wouldn't dream of speaking of a Keynesian child or a Marxist child. And yet, for some reason we make a privileged exception of religion. And, by the way, I think it would also be abuse to talk about an atheist child." - Richard Dawkins

I think this quote speaks for itself and lends credence to my position.

Please understand that I do want to open up the topic for discussion to explore alternative viewpoints that could be used to ultimately improve our definitions of atheism and their proper application.

I would love to be shown why my observations and opinions are incorrect or incomplete. However, just saying it is wrong won't cut it.

I think we will be MUCH more respected by people outside the RRS when we take the lead in understanding and even helping to define all aspects of belief, dis-belief, non-belief, and now innocence of belief.

I welcome your thoughtful comments and suggestions.

Thank you.

P.S. If you're interested, another message board has extensively discussed this topic of atheist babies:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?s=0431d805808f74dbe05a33b8a910f397&t=86183

cliffyboy
User is offlineOffline
are babies atheists?

What are you talking about?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think we're killing the

I think we're killing the thread with a lame attempt at humour. 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: To

Atheistextremist wrote:

To maroon a whole stack of babies on an island and surround them with cameras (within reason) and see what happens.

Would they develop a theology or just do their own thing? I think over time they'd probably anthropomorphise their environment, reify the sun, big pelagics, the fertility of women, springtime and whatever else there was that lay beyond simple explanation.

Personally, I think what could be called 'religion' is the mind's first port of call during its development. Think of the essentialism children show to all things. Teddy Bears, toy cars, cartoon trains, dolls. They are all sentient 'human' beings to children.

I think you could say that human thought ensures we inevitably bring everything that can be perceived by our primary sense data down to our own level. Anthropomorphism is a truism of all human thought. When this natural anthro tendency is applied to non human things as our sense of awe develops then reification of inanimate objects and concepts is virtually inevitable.

To escape this flawed thinking we need to do away with cognitive generalisations and insist on limiting (yes, I know it's impossible) faith-based belief systems, of which we all have many. I think atheism is a higher state of being than theism. You move through theism to disbelief (Yes, I'm projecting my own experience here).

In defense of this point, I think it's true that monotheism involves holding hands with a powerful, engaged anthro god, while atheism means standing alone. And clearly, not everyone can handle living with the incomprehensible.

I'm pretty sure the result would be an unpleasant video that leads to a very long jail term.

Seriously though, I agree, if we didn't have all these pesky morals we'd know a lot more about ourselves.

I also agree that monotheism might best be described as a hand-holding issue.  At the root, if people didn't feat the unknown I highly doubt the concept would have occurred to anyone.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I think we're

Ktulu wrote:

I think we're killing the thread with a lame attempt at humour. 

Lame?  Lame?!  I resent such a base mis-characterization!  P'shaw and balderdash, sir!  Good day!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awww, come on, you guys.

Awww, come on, you guys. We're trying to have a super serial debate here.

I'm super serial!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Hey, what kind of bird is

Hey, what kind of bird is that?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Looks like a tern.

Looks like a tern.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: Looks like a

Gauche wrote:

Looks like a tern.

The question here that would be utterly crucial to this debate is , does the tern know that it is a tern ? If it has not become an official tern, should we not call it a non-tern ? I mean, I don't know about you, but to say that a tern looks like a tern, when in fact it might not be aware of the fact that it is a tern, could be derogatory.

Ok, that is enough of my sarcastic humor for one day.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: Hey, what

mellestad wrote:

An arctic tern. They're awesome.

You might remember my previous avatar, the woodland kingfisher

I actually know very little about birds. I'm not an ornithologist or anything, but I love them and admire them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:mellestad

butterbattle wrote:

mellestad wrote:

An arctic tern. They're awesome.

You might remember my previous avatar, the woodland kingfisher

I actually know very little about birds. I'm not an ornithologist or anything, but I love them and admire them.

Hmm.  Pretty bird.  I've got owls and hawks that nest on my property, along with all the usual Pacific Northwest birds.  I enjoy them quite a bit, although I'm not motivated to do much study.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 *singing This is the

*singing This is the thread that never ends... it just goes on and on my friends... 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Hmm.

mellestad wrote:

Hmm.  Pretty bird.  I've got owls and hawks that nest on my property, along with all the usual Pacific Northwest birds.  I enjoy them quite a bit, although I'm not motivated to do much study.

O.o

Where are you in the Pacific Northwest?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

butterbattle wrote:

mellestad wrote:

O.o

Central Washington.  Lots of open land and sage-brush.  PM sent.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Err, e-mail sent.  Or

Err, e-mail sent.  Or whatever.  Somehow, a message is crossing the ether towards you, and it contains the picture of an owl.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Central

mellestad wrote:

Been through Seattle and some of it's surrounding areas several years ago. Lots of rain and coffee shops. A bit expensive, but some interesting people.

Didn't really get to see much of Washington State but got a lot of travel through the Oregon area.

Northwest does have some nice looking countryside.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Been through Seattle and some of it's surrounding areas several years ago. Lots of rain and coffee shops. A bit expensive, but some interesting people.

Didn't really get to see much of Washington State but got a lot of travel through the Oregon area.

Northwest does have some nice looking countryside.

Yea, once you cross the mountain range it changes completely.  We're actually a desert region, the only reason anything is here at all is a massive irrigation project linked to the Grand Coulee Dam.

This is what most of central washington looks like:

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:butterbattle

mellestad wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

mellestad wrote:

O.o

Thanks. I almost want to make it my avatar now. 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

butterbattle wrote:

mellestad wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

mellestad wrote:

O.o

Thanks. I almost want to make it my avatar now. 

Heh, well feel free if the mood strikes you.  My wife would be tickled pink to see her stuff being used.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thread Distruction

The Birdsea

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Lol.  I love Penny Arcade.

Lol.  I love Penny Arcade.  Have you been to PAX?

Tailrtr (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Are Babies Atheists?

I have concluded long ago that we are living in an increasingly, devastating and horribly intellectually dishonest world.

The fact that full grown adults are claiming a new born baby is an atheist simply leads me back to my original conclusion.

Sad

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Clearly, you haven't read my

Clearly, you haven't read my head-banging. God, so frustrating. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brad wrote:  But doesn't it

Brad wrote:
  But doesn't it sound a bit "off" to claim a rock is atheist?

Actually, it sounds patently stupid.

I'll give you 3 guesses who said it...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris