How to Practice Faith at Work Without Offending Others (ABC NEWS)

ConsumedInformerJ
User is offlineOffline
How to Practice Faith at Work Without Offending Others (ABC NEWS)

Just want to mention a brief discussion I witnessed on the news this morning regarding religion in the workplace. I commented online with my viewpoint as an atheist and thought the blog could use some more atheist viewpoints. I posted as consumedinformerj on the blog if you want to read my attempt at a response.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TakeControlOfYourLife/story?id=3391995&page=1

Fish
User is offlineOffline
The only thing that bothers

The only thing that bothers me is the chaplain part. Why would they need to bring in a chaplain, and wouldn't they need a different one for every faith?

The article even says: "Employers know that most of us won't go to our human resources department or our boss with private, personal problems, but many of us will open up to trusted clergy." So why don't they just let their employees to go their clergy to handle their personal problems on their personal time?

Just as I feel that values should by taught by parents and not by schools, I feel like if you have a personal problem you should use your personal support network, not your professional (although they can obviously overlap if you make friends at work).

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, if a member of the

So, if a member of the clergy was available at work for personal problems and the problem is bible thumpers on the job, what would they do?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
(First of all, let me just

(First of all, let me just say that I thought the stock photo they used at the start of the article was hilarious. It looks like those three guys are worshipping a laptop.)

The problem with this article is that it skims over how employment law really comes to bear on religious practice in the workplace. Sure, the Civil Rights Act protects the practice of faith in the workplace. But people who want to practice their faith can't get extra breaks in order to do so. Everyone has to be treated the same. The article also doesn't mention how this affects small businesses. Small businesses are much less likely to be able to make accommodations than large corporations, and it is small businesses that cumulatively employ the most people in the United States.

I don't think most atheists care if someone wants to use their lunchtime or other breaktimes to practice their faith.

Has anyone here every been in a situation where faith was being practiced in your workplace in such a way that made you feel uncomfortable? It's never happened to me (and I even worked for a Jewish organization once for a couple of years!).

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love your thought there,

Love your thought there, Susan! Cool

Our town held an Independence Day celebration at a local park earlier this month, and I was highly offended when they announced they were having a benediction with a Christian reverend, who specifically spoke of "our Lord, Jesus Christ." Afterwards, I spoke aloud to whomever was near enough to hear, "And screw the Jews!" (meaning screw anyone who isn't Christian).

ConsumedInformerJ
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if I can say

I don't know if I can say that I have been in a situation at work that made me uncomfortable, but this may certainly change when I move to small town Alaska where fundamental Christianity has taken a strong hold. If allowed to freely gather at special meetings, what is to prevent a Christian majority from forming a social club, now sanctioned by the employer, that will divide the staff into Christian and non-Christian? I know of one town where cliques form by what church you go to. Inevitably, this group will include a majority of the leadership and management, leading to certain bias in choosing who gets promoted or is given a raise in pay. To have religion in the workplace may work to some degree in a city and at a large corporation where many groups can find members (Christians, atheists, muslims, hindu, etc), but in small town america, we may be inviting discrimination and abuses.