Animal rights and god?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Animal rights and god?

I just got a call from my vet that it looks like my cat has/or may have cancer. In a natural world we know that cancer is a naturally occuring event, no matter how much we dont want it affecting us, it happens.

I am in tears now because my best friend may have something that will kill him. He is only 7 years old and an indoor cat so he is very well taken care of. 

If one were to pretend that such an "all loving" being were to exist as I have already looking at the world, but it hits home when it hits home. I would have nothing but contempt for such cruelty.

If daddy in the sky is pissed at me for not believing or kissing his ass, fine. But what did my cat do to diserve this? Mind you of course there is no god doing this to him, just a reoccuring desease that happens.

It still doesnt lessen the blow, but it does piss me off when someone says that a magical fictional being in the sky had a hand in life.

Fine, be pissed off at humans all you want, take it out on us. But my cat? What the fuck did he do? (Again, mind you this argument is an "IF"argument.....IF god existed.

No, I dont buy that crap one bit right now. I may or may not lose my best friend, he is going in for surgery on Monday. I hope it all gets removed and he'll do fine.

I dont blame the cancer, I dont blame him and I cant blame a work of fiction either. It just sucks right now. I love him so much. He is always happy to see me. He doent care how much money I make or what I wear. He always wants to be in the same room with me. He watches me on the back portch when I grill or have a smoke. He knows when I am teasing him, and he chases me as if he is going to capture me.

He is the best pet I have ever had and I despreatly dont want him to go. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry to hear that you

I'm sorry to hear that you may lose your beloved pet.  But it's not a sure thing yet.  He might still be ok.  I'm mostly a dog person, but when I was a kid I had a cat that I really loved.  He died of Feline Leukemia.  When my mom told me I sat down on the hearth and bawled.

Heck, if we didn't care when someone(animals included) died, what was so great about knowing them at all.  The worse you feel when you lose them is a testimony to how much better they made your life.

Good luck and all the best!

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
My sympathies Brian, it is

My sympathies Brian, it is very difficult to watch something you love dearly suffer. I hope kitty does well in the surgery and they get it all. Please keep us updated.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is not so much that the

It is not so much that the vet is sure(although they susspect a tummor). Right now it is the thought that it could be true, and that is just as scary as it actually being true.

He actually is moving about quite well and it was an accedent that I discoverd the lump on his neck while petting him. If I had never discovered it, other than "a lump" he seems fine and normal.

It just sucks that he has(or may have) something bad enough to kill him.

Once he fell off a bay window ledge in my last apartment. How does a cat fall off something that wide?

Another time I was playing with a shoestring that I kept my keys on around my neck so I wouldnt lose them. I was dangling them and of corse he was playing with them. But the shoestring suddenly got wrapped around his neck. I let go because I didnt want to strangle him. He got startled from the keys hitting the floor, and it was like watching a ping pong ball bouncing in a jar watching trying to escape from the keys in tow.

Silly moments like that. Other moments where he is just curled up on the bed at my feet, or when he sits on my chest looking at me like he "dominates" me.

I've had him for so long the thought of not having him hurts. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, Brian37.  I'm so very

Oh, Brian37.  I'm so very sorry you and your buddy are going through this.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll just be hard fatty cyst.  My Emma Jean had one removed successfully from her neck and the vet was really surprised because apparently that's an odd place to get one.

Even if it is the "Evil C", it sounds like you caught it early and flew to the vet as soon as you could. Hopefully that will increase his chances of having it completely removed with no side effects.

Where on his neck is the bump?  The back, side or front?  If it's in the front (kinda like on the adam's apple), did the vet say anything about hyperthyroidism? 

Did the vet do bloodwork?  If so, do you remember what any of the values are, especially the white count, red count and potassium level? 

(Sorry, I go into overdrive when it comes to feline medicine.) 

We'll all be thinking about you and your fur-baby and keeping our fingers crossed that everything works out for you both. 

Please keep us in the loop.  We care.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my other posts today I

In my other posts today I am trying to keep some humor to distract myself from the fact that my cat may have something that will kill him. The first initial test determined a suspect being cancer. They removed all the tissue yesterday they thought might be a problem, now they will send it out for a biopsy to determine if it is cancer(which they susspect) and if it is benign or malignant.

He's been home for a half hour now and already licking and trying to pick at the scar. It's going to be really goofy and embarassing to put that satilite dish on him. He is such a spaz I dont know if he would stay in it. But, if he doesnt prove himself to stay away from it, I will have to do it and he will look like a cross between Frankenstien and Queen Elizabeth.

But beyond that I hope for the best but even if it is terminal at least I can say I have a great cat and wouldnt change a moment and will cherish him as long as I can. I LOVE MY PAYTON!

So that is my update. Hopefully the results will come back and whatever he has is not the type of thing that spreads and they did get everything.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
One of my cats died back in

One of my cats died back in April of old age (he was 16.) His sister has had inoperable cancer since 2003 and is still doing ok. They can still live comfortably for a while depending on the type.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brian, I know what a

Hey Brian, I know what a horrible thing it is to have to go through.  Just remember that cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence.  My ferret Loki was diagnosed with adrenal cancer over 3 years ago.  She ultimately passed 2 months ago, but not from that particular cancer.  She was happy and content the whole time, albeit hairless.  I'm sure you'll kitty will be fine.

Just make sure you take pictures of him with that goofy lampshade around his neck.  Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Hey

pariahjane wrote:

Hey Brian, I know what a horrible thing it is to have to go through. Just remember that cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence. My ferret Loki was diagnosed with adrenal cancer over 3 years ago. She ultimately passed 2 months ago, but not from that particular cancer. She was happy and content the whole time, albeit hairless. I'm sure you'll kitty will be fine.

Just make sure you take pictures of him with that goofy lampshade around his neck. Smiling

Thank you guys so much for your support. A little humor wont change what cant be changed but it sure does help you get through it.

He doesnt need lampshade, he needs to STOP WAKING ME UP 15 MINS EARLY EACH DAY! "I want my food daddy".

"Yea well, you keep this up I'll be waking up at 2am"

He really owns me and not the other way around. But whatever happens I am damned happy to have the time with him. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the update,

Thanks for the update, Brian37.  If you hadn't posted, I was going to contact you.

They look so funny with the Elizabethan collars, don't they?  They're just funny when they try to leap around or they try to shake it off.

We'll keep our collective fingers crossed with 1) it was benign and if not 2) the margins are clear.

We'd love to see a picture of Payton if you'd care to post one.

People do not own pets, we are their caretakers. 

Cats have always known that humans were put on earth for the simple reason of obeying their every whim.  Who are we to disagree?

*fingers and toes crossed very tightly*

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: People do not

Susan wrote:

People do not own pets, we are their caretakers.

Too true!!

We are working on potty-training at home with the puppy-face but it is me that is getting the training!!

Brian - As Susan said, I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well for Payton (what a great name, btw).

My two boys (cats) keep waking me up earlier and earlier too!  They are quite intuitive at knowing exactly what will get me out of bed and they are very demanding about the whole thing.  Charming, but 4 a.m. is not my best hour.  LOL

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a picture of my

Here is a picture of my puppy with the lampshade/satellite dish/Elizabethan collar/cone on his head after he had surgery two weeks ago.

He had a mass removed from his tail and is doing just fine. He was more aggravated with the collar, the bandage and the stitches, once all of that was off he went back to forgetting about his tail.

(this was posted for comic relief, I thought the photo might make you chuckle Brian) 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still have to wait for

I still have to wait for the biopsy result, but as far as the surgury his behaivor, other than being slightly confused right after, hasnt changed much.

His lump didnt effect his behaivor when he had it and his surgury hasnt effeted him much either.

Whatever it is I hope it is either local and has been removed and doesnt spread, OR even if it is something more, maybe it can be mannaged enough to give him a longer period of time.

In any case, like I said before, all the time I have had with him so far was far more than I expected and every moment has been worth it, including this trial.

Thanks for the pic of your dog. So far my cat hasnt needed that yet. Now I get to say NANNY NANNY BOO BOO YOUR DOG IS A DORK(Note to self:Secretly hopes my cat doesnt end up looking like a dork) even though he is, even without this problem. Still love the furrball. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you know when the biopsy

Do you know when the biopsy results will be back?

*fingers still crossed*

[OK.   I admit it.  I've been obsessing about Payton.]

BGH - Sorry Strummer had to go through the indignity of all that, but glad he's OK now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Within the week. He goes

Within the week. He goes back on the 30th to get his staples out.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: BGH - Sorry

Susan wrote:

BGH - Sorry Strummer had to go through the indignity of all that, but glad he's OK now.

Oh, he is GREAT!

The funny part was the first day he come home with the collar and ran into every table and chair with it. Then, still groggy from the anesthetic, he fell asleep standing up.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
More good and bad news. The

More good and bad news.

The bad news is that it was cancer. The vet said that it was the type that could spread quickly but she thought it was great that I found it so quickly and that they oporated so soon. She does think she got all of it BUT of course with cancer there is no garuntee that it wont come back.

So she wants to check his lungs and limpnodes, but she did check the surrounding tissue on a wide curcumfrence and that did not come back positive for cancer.

So it is a waiting game at this point and we can only hope that it wont come back. It just really sucks that it happend to him.

If it does come back the only thing I can think of is to keep him around untill I know he is in pain. Right now he is acting fine and could be for a long time.

So this is where it is at at this point. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the update,

Thanks for the update, Brian37.  That's good news, at least for the moment.

Are you going to go ahead and have the vet check Payton's lymph nodes and lungs or are you going to wait and see what happens? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way, the one I

By the way, the one I mentioned - Sassy, the 16 year old cat who has had cancer for 4 years now - killed a mouse outside today.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love the story but

I love the story but although I am holding out hope I am facing reality. It would be nice if he has 4 or 5 or more years, but the simple fact is we dont know. It is wait and see.

Yes I will have his lungs and nodes checked, but after that it will be wait and see.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any news?  

Any news?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
No news, His stiches were

No news,

His stiches were taken out, he is healing fine from the surgery. Behaiving like nothing happened. But, only time will tell. It might have been a local tumor that wont spread, but the vet says they think they got all of it.

I am hopefull right now, but whatever happens I do know that I have a great friend and companion. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like Payton is

Sounds like Payton is keeping you in line.  That's always a good sign!

I shall keep my fingers, toes, knees and eyes crossed that all remains well for you all.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, Your cat is lucky to

Brian,

Your cat is lucky to be in such good and loving hands. 

I hope he'll be back to normal soon. 

Rick 

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you posted a picture

Have you posted a picture of Payton and I just don't remember?

Regardless, if you have one, I'd love to see one posted here.