Two born agains, a muslim and me

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two born agains, a muslim and me

On Saturday night, my husband and I had his mother, sister and her boyfriend over. His mother and sister are born again and the boyfriend is a Muslim (albeit an "inactive" one, as it were.) We never talk religion with his family. His dad is wiccan, his mom and sister are born agains, and he is an atheist who thinks it's all stupid. He said they had one rule in their family growing up "believe whatever you want, but don't talk about it." He said that's the only way it would work in their family.

Anyway, that being said, you can understand why the last thing I was expecting on Saturday night was to learn about how true the bible is. Dinner was finished and we were all sitting around talking when his mother launched into all the reasons behind why I should read this one book she has at home. I guess the book is written by this lawyer who set out to prove to his wife that the bible isn't true but he did all this research and proved that it was true and la la la. So, I should read it because, evidently, I would just love it. (I don't know why she'd think that with the assortment of books on my bookshelf that anyone could see when they walk into my apartment)

I learned a few important things that night:

1. Christians don't NEED to prove that God exists because God is part of everything and everywhere.

2. Evidently science was given to us BY God so science cannot PROVE God because God created it.

3. We don't need science to explain the world around us. We just need faith.

4. There is NO WAY Jesus was married. That is just about the most blasphemous idea out there, and to even mention it in jest will get you smote by God himself.

5. There is no reason to be good if there is no God.

6. The Bible is absolutely true and can be relied on 100% in relating or learning about history, or creation of the earth and all that entails.

7. Atheists are people with no morals or intelligence.

8. If your heart is closed to God you will have poor health.

9. The devil is everywhere; even listening to the wrong songs will let him in.

10. It is always important to remember that if someone is talking in tongues around you, they need to be able to interpret it or it's fake.

And last but not least, all we really need to do is embrace God and everything will be ok.

I just can't believe I never saw it before...

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, so let me get this

Wow, so let me get this straight.

Some talking in tongues is fake?

What a radical idea.

Heh. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
And why didn't someone hush

And why didn't someone hush the woman up?

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh it was quite the debate

Oh it was quite the debate that lasted a good 2.5 hours or so. It was really entertaining. The muslim was so upset with my blatent disregard of God he left the room in a huff saying "I just don't know what to say anymore." The Christians were far more entertaining... I've never debated "born agains" before, so it was quite the enlightening experience. My mother in law ended up saying that she doesn't think people talk about religion enough (which shocked me) and that I had some "really good points" that she had to "spend time thinking about."

--Sarah--

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
DelphicRaven wrote: 4.

DelphicRaven wrote:

4. There is NO WAY Jesus was married. That is just about the most blasphemous idea out there, and to even mention it in jest will get you smote by God himself.

Dude, whatever, Jesus was TOTALLY married!!  Didn't your MIL see the Da Vinci Code?  I mean, sheesh!

waiting....

waiting....

waiting...

Huh, I haven't gotten smited yet.  Sticking out tongue

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
hum... I deny god, but I

hum... I deny god, but I seem to be in great health.
I've never really gotten sick either. 
Well okay, I was in a serious car crash, and almost died, but I wasn't even old enough to understand the concept of god.
Must be a fluke or something, or maybe I am unhealthy I just dont know it. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
DelphicRaven wrote:

DelphicRaven wrote:

On Saturday night, my husband and I had his mother, sister and her boyfriend over. His mother and sister are born again and the boyfriend is a Muslim (albeit an "inactive" one, as it were.)

This sounds like a recipe for trouble. Laughing out loud It could have been even more interesting...add in an Hasidic Jew, a Wahabbist Muslim, a devout Hindu and a Phelps family member. They may have all agreed on something for once: roasting you alive over an open pit fire. Smiling

DelphicRaven wrote:
I guess the book is written by this lawyer who set out to prove to his wife that the bible isn't true but he did all this research and proved that it was true and la la la.

I think that's Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh MacDowell. I never read it, but it had a place of prominence in my family's very small library along with Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth and The Late Great Planet Earth.

DelphicRaven wrote:
I learned a few important things that night:

1. Christians don't NEED to prove that God exists because God is part of everything and everywhere.

2. Evidently science was given to us BY God so science cannot PROVE God because God created it.

3. We don't need science to explain the world around us. We just need faith.

5. There is no reason to be good if there is no God.

6. The Bible is absolutely true and can be relied on 100% in relating or learning about history, or creation of the earth and all that entails.

7. Atheists are people with no morals or intelligence.

8. If your heart is closed to God you will have poor health.

9. The devil is everywhere; even listening to the wrong songs will let him in.

10. It is always important to remember that if someone is talking in tongues around you, they need to be able to interpret it or it's fake.

And last but not least, all we really need to do is embrace God and everything will be ok.

This is a laundry list of what my family believed and taught me. Of course, there were other weird-ass things, too.

DelphicRaven wrote:
I just can't believe I never saw it before...

--Sarah--

Congratulations on finally seeing the light.

Reading things like this reminds me that my family was not mentally balanced and that the fundies in my community, though populous, are also kind of loco en la cabeza.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:
DelphicRaven wrote:

Dude, whatever, Jesus was TOTALLY married!! Didn't your MIL see the Da Vinci Code? I mean, sheesh!

waiting....

waiting....

waiting...

Huh, I haven't gotten smited yet. Sticking out tongue

ROTF

But wouldn't that be "smitten"? I think there's confusion regarding conjugating the verb "smite"

Present Tense = smite

Pasted Tense = smote

Past Participle = smitten

I would go into all that future perfect crappola, but I think I've finally forgotten it. I think it's "will have been smitten." Anyway, if it has a "helping verb," it's "smitten." I think. Smiling

If saying Jesus was married is that blasphemous, could we have an addendum to the Blasphemy Challenge?  

I DENY THE HOLY SPIRIT...and Jesus was, like, TOTALLY MARRIED. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
DelphicRaven wrote:

Dude, whatever, Jesus was TOTALLY married!! Didn't your MIL see the Da Vinci Code? I mean, sheesh!

waiting....

waiting....

waiting...

Huh, I haven't gotten smited yet. Sticking out tongue

ROTF

But wouldn't that be "smitten"? I think there's confusion regarding conjugating the verb "smite"

Present Tense = smite

Pasted Tense = smote

Past Participle = smitten

I would go into all that future perfect crappola, but I think I've finally forgotten it. I think it's "will have been smitten." Anyway, if it has a "helping verb," it's "smitten." I think. Smiling

If saying Jesus was married is that blasphemous, could we have an addendum to the Blasphemy Challenge?

I DENY THE HOLY SPIRIT...and Jesus was, like, TOTALLY MARRIED.

Iruka - I must apologize for my dismal grasp of apocalyptic conjugation.  I promise in the future that I will learn whether or not god is going to smite or shite me.  Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver