Anti Abortion People

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Anti Abortion People

Last friday a bunch of Anti abortion christians with signs went out a block from my house and stood there with pictures of fetus's and saying that its a genicide in america and so forth. I of course went over and messed with them a little bit and used the bible to justify abortion. How do you recommend dealing with these people. I personally have read books on persuasion and they are trying to shock people and i cannot change there mind. So i think the best way to deal with these people is to "shock them" yourself. Be the devil that they want to see. I have an idea about ripping out a page of the bible and rolling a joint (with tobacco) and smoking it... that would seem to set those people off.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They're a bunch of asshats.

They're a bunch of asshats. I agree with George Carlin - "Ever notice most people who are against abortion you wouldn't want to fuck in the first place?"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
On July 4th in my town some

On July 4th in my town some Christian terrorists tried to destroy the abortion clinic by flooding it.  They failed and only caused a few thousand dollars in damage.  Since they weren't Muslim the media largely ignored the story.

Engaging with the antis can be amusing though.  They think abortion is murder so simply ask if they think the woman who gets an abortion should be executed for murder.  If they are consistent with an "eye for an eye" BS then they'll have to say yes.

There's little hope in changing them, they are fanatics and true believers so they are distant from reality.  They'll even get abortions when they need them but are more than happy to deny that right to anyone else. 

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Yeah i just went up to them

Yeah i just went up to them and was like "can i ask you a few questions" and then i was like "why in the bible does god value the life of a fetus less than a life of a person" then i gave them the passage about fighting and the woman getting injured, and of course they were like "thats mans law" and i was like "no its bibilical law" and then i asked them if they seriously believed in "magic sky people" (my favorite way of discribing religion) then a few people came up to me and were like "be respectful" and i was like "what are you going to do assult me" and they said "no but i wish i could" so i laughed and they moved on. Then i told them i payed for my girlfriend to get an abortion (a lie) but i thought it is fun to be their devil (i was thinking about sitting there with a hat and a piece of paper saying "need money to pay for abortion" but i didnt. I also had a piece of paper with a tee shirt design on it and i asked them their opinion, of course it said the most offensive thing icould think of which was "Mary Should Have Aborted". I told them i have read the bible and i think the woman couldnt comprehend that i have read the bible but didnt believe it. I guess her brain couldnt process that. I think the lighting up the Bibilical Joint will be hillarous. Could also get me some money in a lawsuit when they attack me. Overall it made my day, i just was wondering what we should do about these people.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would love to see a "Mary

I would love to see a "Mary should have aborted" shirt! :ROTF:

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
I really should copyright

I really should copyright that. Becuase one day me and my friends were thinking of some of the most offensive things that one can put on a shirt, without having a curse word. I figured "Mary should have aborted" would take the crown.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't agree it's true but

I don't agree it's true but it is funny. reason I don't is it's the equivalent of saying "Santa Clause should lose weight."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I commented on that passage

I commented on that passage to the antis and they looked it up.  However they carry the NIV which changed the passage to reflect their political views.  In other versions of the Bible and the Torah they all say a person who causes a miscarriage has to pay a fine since the fetus is merely property.  However in the NIV they rewrote it to say that the fetus is a life just any born human.

This guy dressed up as Batman and went to mock the antis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgELvhtOGVM 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy Norris wrote: I

Sleepy Norris wrote:
I think the lighting up the Bibilical Joint will be hillarous. Could also get me some money in a lawsuit when they attack me. 

Considering how hateful these folks can get, I would suspect they'll make sure you will be in jail for the joint. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Sleepy Norris

Susan wrote:

Sleepy Norris wrote:
I think the lighting up the Bibilical Joint will be hillarous. Could also get me some money in a lawsuit when they attack me.

Considering how hateful these folks can get, I would suspect they'll make sure you will be in jail for the joint.

In public i'll obviously use tabacco when i lite up. Its nothing more than a biblically handwrapped cigarrette

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not exactly abortion, but a

Not exactly abortion, but a couple of years ago, I was sitting outside a bar while some Christians were protesting a strip club across the street.  At one point they huddled up on the sidewalk and started a "prayer circle."  I offered $50 to anybody who would run into the center of the circle and call a football play, clap his hands, and yell... "Ready, Break!"

Unfortunately, I had no takers.  I'd really have enjoyed that.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Not

Hambydammit wrote:

Not exactly abortion, but a couple of years ago, I was sitting outside a bar while some Christians were protesting a strip club across the street. At one point they huddled up on the sidewalk and started a "prayer circle." I offered $50 to anybody who would run into the center of the circle and call a football play, clap his hands, and yell... "Ready, Break!"

Unfortunately, I had no takers. I'd really have enjoyed that.

You should have done it yourself, Hamby!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
LoL... you know what my

LoL... you know what my bar's called.  There's only so much provocation I'm willing to risk on my own.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always liked the

I've always liked the tee-shirt that says, "Jesus forgot the safe word."

On the topic of abortion, I'd really like to change the terminology that we use and allow.

For instance, the opposite of 'pro-life' is 'anti-life' and I most certainly am not 'anti-life'. I love life and love babies, but a pregnancy is not technically a life. It is tissue that a woman can choose to have removed for any reason she wishes or needs.

Also, the opposite of 'anti-abortion' is 'pro-abortion' and I most certainly am not in favor of ending a pregnancy unless the woman chooses it to be ended.

That leaves us with the only rational terminology, in my opinion, being 'pro-choice' and 'anti-choice'.

If the story of the 'slaughter of the innocents' were true then I suppose Herod was trying to open the first Roman idea of state controlled parental planning. Of course, Caesar probably would have had him hanged for killing off future slaves like that.

Just rambling. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it kind of wrong that

Isn't it kind of wrong that groups like Operation Rescue aren't officially considered terrorist organizations?

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: That leaves us with

Quote:

That leaves us with the only rational terminology, in my opinion, being 'pro-choice' and 'anti-choice'.

That language is just as incorrect as pro-life/anti-life. I'm against abortion but I believe very much in choice. I just think that since the choice affects the unborn child much more than the woman carying it the choice should not be the woman's. This is the same way I believe in freedom but dont believe in your freedom to walk into a store and kill the shop keeper. If your freedom denies another an even more important freedom then you don't have a right to it.

darth_josh wrote:

but a pregnancy is not technically a life. It is tissue that a woman can choose to have removed for any reason she wishes or needs.

I would probably not be anti-abortion if it wasn't for people saying things like this. I have very little problem with embryonic stem cell research so I clearly don't worry about destroying fetuses.

My problem is when I see women shouting that the fetus is a parasitic growth that can just be removed fro trivial reasons. I just find it deeply disturbing that someone can be so cold about something that is potentially their child. It just strikes me as very selfish.

If a more sane voice (rather than screaming radical feminism) could be found to present the 'pro choice' I think that I would probably be on your side. If it could be accepted that it's a potential life and not a worthless cancerous growth but that there are certain curcumstances under which it is perferable to destroy it then I think I could be convinced, but I just cannot agree with it's current presentation. It's just too cold and selfish.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic wrote: My

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

My problem is when I see women shouting that the fetus is a parasitic growth that can just be removed fro trivial reasons. I just find it deeply disturbing that someone can be so cold about something that is potentially their child. It just strikes me as very selfish.

It kind of bothers me also when some women use abortion as a 'late' contraceptive. But if they're that irresponsible to begin with, would you really want them shaping a young mind? I'm not against abortion, I'm against irresponsible people.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

Quote:

That language is just as incorrect as pro-life/anti-life. I'm against abortion but I believe very much in choice. I just think that since the choice affects the unborn child much more than the woman carying it the choice should not be the woman's. This is the same way I believe in freedom but dont believe in your freedom to walk into a store and kill the shop keeper. If your freedom denies another an even more important freedom then you don't have a right to it.

That is a rather obnoxious false analogy isn't it?

If the choice is not the right of the woman then whose is it? Yours? Mine? The government?

Quote:
darth_josh wrote:

but a pregnancy is not technically a life. It is tissue that a woman can choose to have removed for any reason she wishes or needs.

I would probably not be anti-abortion if it wasn't for people saying things like this. I have very little problem with embryonic stem cell research so I clearly don't worry about destroying fetuses.

Embryonic stem cell research has nothing to do with a fetus. Thus the 'embryonic'. Big difference. We weren't discussing stem cell research anyway were we? This is about whether or not abortions are ethical and whether or not something should be done about the people protesting.

Quote:

trivial reasons???? Do you honestly believe that any woman that has had an abortion did so for 'trivial reasons'?

Perhaps in some postmodernist folklore contrived by anti-choice people, but not in any instance in my personal knowledge.

Quote:
If a more sane voice (rather than screaming radical feminism) could be found to present the 'pro choice' I think that I would probably be on your side. If it could be accepted that it's a potential life and not a worthless cancerous growth but that there are certain curcumstances under which it is perferable to destroy it then I think I could be convinced, but I just cannot agree with it's current presentation. It's just too cold and selfish.

And leave us not forget that 'potential life' can be the doom of another.

I ask you if this 'screaming radically feminist voice' would even exist if not for past infringements upon their rights?

Just as fundamentalist evangelism has caused atheist activism, so too has 'radical feminism' been caused by obsequious females of the past allowing their reproductive rights to be legislated against by people not faced with the dilemma. And it is just that... a 'dilemma' which only we can present options and aid for whichever CHOICE is made by the one person that can.

Neither side of this issue has ever maintained a clear sight to victory; the protests certainly don't seem to work for either side either. To me, that simply reinforces the idea that this is a purely subjective choice.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.