Bible Code

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible Code

So back in my Christian days, I had read into these and became pretty convinced that the Bible Codes were a good enough proof that the Bible was true.  However, I left Christianity and forgot completely forgot about it.  It just popped into my head recently, and now its bugging me - so whats up with this - is it just statistical anamolies, people seeing things that arent there, or something else?

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I understand, you

From what I understand, you basically skip so many letters in a row.  For example you go through a passage and take every 8th letter, and it will spell something like "Osama," "Towers," "Destruction," etc.  There are places were people say that they found predictions of world events (although they are now all in the past...).  However, they have found similar "codes" in Moby Dick too, and other works of fiction.  If you fool around with things enough then, you will eventually find something.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeed. The only real

Indeed. The only real difference is that some people actually spend their entire lives looking for such things in the bible, while very few or none do so with regular works of fiction or non-fiction.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So far true. By the way a

So far true. By the way a skeptic managed to find encoded there the words "code bogus."

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
We're hard wired to find

We're hard wired to find correlations and codes in things. you can take ANYTHING and connect it to anything else using numbers or some obscure code. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
How many letters are there

How many letters are there in the bible? I'm guessing hundreds of thousands.

How many algorhythms can man invent to apply to the sequence of letters? Hundreds of thousands.

How many words are there that could be spelled out by using any of these algorhythms? Thousands.

How hard is it to string together two or three words in a rudimentary sentence using these algorhythms? Damn easy.

With half the world's population believing in the damn thing, what are the odds that lots of geeky theists are trying to find such things? Really high

Seems almost impossible that there wouldn't be some super secret ninja code in the bible.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually just finished

I actually just finished reading "How We Believe" by Michael Shermer.  There was a decent sized section in his book about the bible code.

The bottom line is that it's just data mining.  People go into it ahead of time looking for anything which they are bound to find using the meathods that they did.  As someone hit on earlier they did the same thing with Moby Dick and found some 12 major assasinations. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan