And now something completely different...

Heinous Berzerker
Heinous Berzerker's picture
User is offlineOffline
And now something completely different...

And now that I have your attention...has anyone else ever watched one of those bible channels (TBN, etc, ad nauseum) and feasted their senses on one of those Christian "rock" shows? I was watching a couple months ago and there was this band that looked, sounded, behaved...hell, I thought, at first, THEY WERE, Rage Against The Machine! Much like RATM, you would have been hard-pressed to make out any of the lyrics, especially if you were in the state of disbelief that I was in, I think the only reason I knew that it WASN'T RATM is because of the fact that they kept throwing in little snippets of conversation with people in the audience, who I can only describe as "cool" people, albeit cool people with crucifixes hanging from their necks spouting three word sentences that were more like declarations for the sheeple. "Jesus Lives, Word" one kid said, in between the destruction being wrought on stage.

Above and beyond and one might say, Below, the obvious Pearl Jam wannabee band Creed, there is another Pearl Jam impersonator band that spouts religious garbage. I saw them on the same show as the RATM wannabees. Has anyone else seen this crap? I might catch hell for the following, but I happen to like RATM and Pearl Jam, I think that they are very very good, not as good as TOOL or Black Sabbath, but damn good, and what the fudge is this blatant rip-off  shit music? Well, come to think of it, Maynard dressed up as a preacher in a yellow suit and white hair, and that was an obvious ripoff of an oft-seen preacher on cable TV back in the 90's (the one who had the woman with him who had bodacious bosoms and must have taken her makeup lessons from Tammy Faye Baker). Just ranting, comments and verification much appreciated. HB 

"Who, like some evil Atlas, turned the world upside down upon their shoulders, and made shams and delusions into absolute truths, and absolute truths into inviolate heresy?" Elliot Merrick, True North (this may be a misquote, but is close, I don't have th

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, I've seen this stuff.

Yep, I've seen this stuff. It's crap. I'm a Pearl Jam fan as well and listening to these untallented knock-offs is good for a chuckle. They contradict what I used to hear from those in the fold "Rock music is the Debbbil!!" "Have you ever been hit in the head with a soft rock??". Once again, it's just religion coopting societal memes to appear relevant and current. It still doesn't hide the fact that these twatwaddles (loving that word) still believe in some bronze age notion of supernatural world dynamics.

There are two seasons in Canada, Hockey season and not-Hockey season.

Canada: 16% Atheist and growing.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pearl Jam is the only music

Pearl Jam is the only music I have on my mp3 player and in my opinion the greatest band of all time.

Don't know much about the others you mentioned outside of Tool, whose concert I attended a few years back. Very good band, but no Pearl Jam. I'm such a mark for them. 

I suck at signatures.

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
Well, in the words of that

Well, in the words of that great Canadian sage Allanis Morrissette, "Isn't it ironic" that the first person who responds is someone from England. You must have known that the title for my thread was from Monty Python. I swear, you Britons are genius! God bless the Beatles and Cream and The Rolling Stones! And for Ozzy, I add:

Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
Well i don't want no demon to tell me what it's all about
No black magician telling me to get my soul out
Don't believe in violence, i don't even believe in peace
I've opened the door and my mind has been released

Well i don't want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
No i don't want no one to tell me where i'm gonna go when i die
I wanna live my life with no people telling me what to do
I just believe in myself, 'cause no one else is true

Every day just comes and goes
Life is one big overdose
People try to ruin me
And i can't seem to eliminate them

People riding their real pace
Keep on running their rat race
The ante is risen once a week
In their world of make-believe

So believe what i tell you, it's the only way to fight in the end
Just believe in yourself, you know you really shouldn't have to pretend
Don't let those empty people try and interfere with your mind
Just live your life and leave them all behind

"Who, like some evil Atlas, turned the world upside down upon their shoulders, and made shams and delusions into absolute truths, and absolute truths into inviolate heresy?" Elliot Merrick, True North (this may be a misquote, but is close, I don't have th

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I'm a Canuck enamoured

Oh, I'm a Canuck enamoured with Monte Python. As there is British ancestry in my family and we still do recognise the Crown, I'll thank you on behalf of the Commonwealth for the MP and musical compliments.

Ozzy is wonderful. Before his mind fell flat due to the drugs, he came up with some great stuff. 

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
Cassowary wrote: "Pearl Jam

Cassowary wrote:

"Pearl Jam is the only music I have on my mp3 player and in my opinion the greatest band of all time.

Don't know much about the others you mentioned outside of Tool, whose concert I attended a few years back. Very good band, but no Pearl Jam. I'm such a mark for them.'

Cassie, this has the makings of a great internet romance. Just imagine the headlines, "I hated this guy at first, I told him he was full of shit in no uncertain terms" and then flashpan to me on Fox News, "Yeah, she was a real bitch, but her love of Pearl Jam won me over, I love her forever", fast forward to me and you on the beach sipping boat drinks with "Margaritaville" playing in the background.

So, what is yr, dammit, my cat keeps jumping in m;y lap and nudging my keyboard, this is ridiculous, your favorite Pearl Jam song? Mine is Yellow Ledbetter, seconnd, fukinl cat, "Off He Goes" fron No Code, cat off lap and out door....... now, I can respond. I would have to say, TOOL is the greatest band that appeals to ragers and thinkers alike, Black Sabbath is the most misunderstood band of all time, RATM is incredible, they are like the Beatles, there will never be another, and Pearl Jam, well, they are Pearl Jam, enough said.

But Cassie, have you ever seen this mind riot I am talking about?  This "Jumping Mosh Pit For Jesus Spectacle Unheard of In Modern Times but there it is on the TV?" 

Me and a friend of mine were watching this crap, we had just got off work, we were way up north in this town called Coldfoot, even DirectTV has no bounds, and when this came on, we simultaneously rolled our heads toward each other and said in unison, "What the fuck" and that is about as  seriously and honestly as I can explain my reaction to that performance.

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
UrbanRedd, sorry for

UrbanRedd, sorry for mistaking you for British. Where are you at in Canada? I have been from West to East and I love Canada, I just don't like the shitty treatment people get when crossing the border. I live exactly 1.3 miles from the Canadian border in Alaska. If it weren't for politics, I would almost consider myself a new race, a Far Northerner, but the reality of the situation is, when I cross over to Canada, I am definitely in a different country whether I like it or not.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a quick plane ride

I'm a quick plane ride south of you in Vancouver. Having traveled through the Yukon and Alaska, I'd have to say that Far Northerner is probably exactly how people from there should be described. It's a different attitude towards life when one lives in the far north. I really enjoyed my time up there, the people, and the land. It's breathtaking. The vastness of nature alone is awe-inspiring.

It's too bad that the delays and crap at the border are as they are. It's a big pain in the ass for me just to visit family in Blaine, WA, let alone head south for some time off. However, I have only explored a small portion of my own country, so I suppose now is a great time to do the Great Canadian Road Trip(tm). I really want to see the Maritimes.

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heinous Berzerker

Heinous Berzerker wrote:

Cassowary wrote:

"Pearl Jam is the only music I have on my mp3 player and in my opinion the greatest band of all time.

Don't know much about the others you mentioned outside of Tool, whose concert I attended a few years back. Very good band, but no Pearl Jam. I'm such a mark for them.'

Cassie, this has the makings of a great internet romance. Just imagine the headlines, "I hated this guy at first, I told him he was full of shit in no uncertain terms" and then flashpan to me on Fox News, "Yeah, she was a real bitch, but her love of Pearl Jam won me over, I love her forever", fast forward to me and you on the beach sipping boat drinks with "Margaritaville" playing in the background.

My favorite is the live version of Courdory from a performance at penn state in 2003.

I'm glad and willing to be pleaseant with you despite our rocky begining, and I don't wish to rehash it here.

But did you just call me a bitch?Surprised 

And I would love to learn more about those other bands, but it's hard for me to listen to anything but pearl Jam. They just never get old to me. I can never hear enough of any of their songs. Makes it hard to fit in any other suggestions.Frown (I do sneak in the occasional Nirvana song thoughWink)

I suck at signatures.

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, it really sux, the

Yeah, it really sux, the politics and all. It makes me think of the John Lennon song, "Imagine". I have no idea what it is like for a Canadian to cross over into the US, but I can tell you for certain that it sux for me to cross over into Canada ever since September 8, 2001. The border was on red alert and all of  a sudden I wasn't welcome in Canada. I had never even been ID'd before that day. I had a DWI in Texas that I wasn't even convicted of, just the fact that I was arrested for it was enough to keep me out of Canada.

keep in mind the fact that I love Canada, one thing I really like is that once you are in Canada, there are very few cops/police, as opposed to the US. You can scarcely drive down the street in a big US city without seeing a cop, and in the big cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Chicago, etc, there are police helicopters flying around constantly. Cop cars are everywhere.

It just saddens me that I can't go over to Dawson anymore and hear all the people say "Ayy". Politics, religion, racism, I am sick of it all. Later. HB 

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
"But did you just call me a

"But did you just call me a bitch?Surprised "

No, I didn't, it was a made-up conversation.

I forgot about Corduroy, that is one of my favorites too. Speaking of Nirvana, have you ever seen the MTV Unplugged show with Nirvana? Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains were good too, then that Unplugged crap got ridiculous, Rod Stewart Unplugged, Natalie Merchant Unplugged, Tony Bennett Unplugged, what the fuck, Motorhead Unplugged? 

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heinous Berzerker

Heinous Berzerker wrote:

"But did you just call me a bitch?Surprised "

No, I didn't, it was a made-up conversation.

I forgot about Corduroy, that is one of my favorites too. Speaking of Nirvana, have you ever seen the MTV Unplugged show with Nirvana? Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains were good too, then that Unplugged crap got ridiculous, Rod Stewart Unplugged, Natalie Merchant Unplugged, Tony Bennett Unplugged, what the fuck, Motorhead Unplugged?

Ok cool. No I haven't seen any of the unplugged shows and will now shoot myself for failing to do so.

Where can I get them? Praying doesn't work. 

I suck at signatures.

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
"Ok cool. No I haven't seen

"Ok cool. No I haven't seen any of the unplugged shows and will now shoot myself for failing to do so.

Where can I get them? Praying doesn't work. "

Don't go to extremes. I have Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and AIC Unplugged on DVD. I tell you what, if you download some of that religious nonsense I was telling you about, watch it, and make a detailed post about it in the context of comparing it to the original bands, I will send you a DVD copy of what I have. I have no idea where you could even find that stuff, but if you could, it would be worth it to me just to hear about it. Even better would be if you could put it on DVD. As I said in a previous post, I am stuck in the stoneage of internet evolution, it is almost impossible for me to download stuff off the internet.

[email protected]

[email protected] 

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where would I go to download

Where would I go to download some of this religious nonsense?

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
"Where would I go to

"Where would I go to download some of this religious nonsense?"

That's what I would like to know...I would have almost believed that I imagined the whole thing if it weren't for my friend sitting there with me and then UrbanRedd confirming it all. I cannot begin to tell you how blatantly obvious it was that these bands were copying RATM and Pearl Jam. One of my pet peeves is Ani DiFranco, she is a fucking no-talent hack that copied a late 60's, early 70's folk singer VERBATIM, the act and style and content, everything, but at least she skipped a couple of decades (and no, I am not insinuating that she is copying Joan Baez). These Christian rip-off bands, hell, they can't even wait a couple of years. 

Big Willem
User is offlineOffline
Another big Pearl Jam fan

Another big Pearl Jam fan here (I am going to a Pearl Jam concert on Thursday!!!). I used to like Christian rock..... to make fun of! In the 80's and beginning of the 90's Christian Rock was so bad, it was laughable. The main reason I think Christian Rock is bad, is because its boring. The music can be ok, although usually not very original. But the lyrics are really boring. They always drag god or Jesus in to EVERY song. Form and content should reinforce each other. Lyrics about god and Jesus do the opposite, they take the danger and excitement out of rock.

Christian Rock is like alcohol free beer. What's the point?

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
"Another big Pearl Jam fan

"Another big Pearl Jam fan here (I am going to a Pearl Jam concert on Thursday!!!). I used to like Christian rock..... to make fun of! In the 80's and beginning of the 90's Christian Rock was so bad, it was laughable. The main reason I think Christian Rock is bad, is because its boring. The music can be ok, although usually not very original. But the lyrics are really boring. They always drag god or Jesus in to EVERY song. Form and content should reinforce each other. Lyrics about god and Jesus do the opposite, they take the danger and excitement out of rock.

Christian Rock is like alcohol free beer. What's the point?"

Well, I wouldn't even call this Christian Rock, because, pertaining to the RATM ripoff band, you couldn't actually hear any lyrics. the song that I clearly remember was an almost exact reproduction of the RATM song "Bulls on Parade" musically speaking, I don't remember the words the guy was screaming, but the lead singers hair was just like Zach's from RATM, their overall sound was just like RATM. It was almost as if some rich religous org paid some band bookoo bucks to do what they were doing. The entire production was bizarre and it was like nothing I have seen before or since. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a little tutorial

Here is a little tutorial on how to use the quote function.

It would sure make things easier to read and keep straight who wrote them.

Thanks.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heinous Berzerker

Heinous Berzerker wrote:

And now that I have your attention...has anyone else ever watched one of those bible channels (TBN, etc, ad nauseum) and feasted their senses on one of those Christian "rock" shows? I was watching a couple months ago and there was this band that looked, sounded, behaved...hell, I thought, at first, THEY WERE, Rage Against The Machine! Much like RATM, you would have been hard-pressed to make out any of the lyrics, especially if you were in the state of disbelief that I was in, I think the only reason I knew that it WASN'T RATM is because of the fact that they kept throwing in little snippets of conversation with people in the audience, who I can only describe as "cool" people, albeit cool people with crucifixes hanging from their necks spouting three word sentences that were more like declarations for the sheeple. "Jesus Lives, Word" one kid said, in between the destruction being wrought on stage.

Above and beyond and one might say, Below, the obvious Pearl Jam wannabee band Creed, there is another Pearl Jam impersonator band that spouts religious garbage. I saw them on the same show as the RATM wannabees. Has anyone else seen this crap? I might catch hell for the following, but I happen to like RATM and Pearl Jam, I think that they are very very good, not as good as TOOL or Black Sabbath, but damn good, and what the fudge is this blatant rip-off shit music? Well, come to think of it, Maynard dressed up as a preacher in a yellow suit and white hair, and that was an obvious ripoff of an oft-seen preacher on cable TV back in the 90's (the one who had the woman with him who had bodacious bosoms and must have taken her makeup lessons from Tammy Faye Baker). Just ranting, comments and verification much appreciated. HB

Did you happen to remember the names of the band? Dollars to doughnuts it's either P.O.D. (Payable on Death) TFK (Thousand Foot Krutch) or Pillar. They're all the same, basically. 

Christian music IS ripoff shit. Hell, there have been chrstian bands that were knockoffs of tool (Chevelle, in their first album) and Marilyn Manson (Rackets & Drapes) and those are probably the most anti-Jesus mainstream acts out there! If they can  rip off THOSE guys, they can rip off anyone.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woah Woah Woah!Xtian rock

Woah Woah Woah!
Xtian rock ripping off Manson? Truly you jest.
Well now im off to try and locate some mp3s,thats gotta be some seriously crazy shit.

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I changed providers and now

I changed providers and now I have 5+ christian channels on my tv and a few religious music channels. I took them off the guide...

I'd love it if I could just pick the channels I wanted...

At least I have bbc now... 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bigg wrote: Woah Woah

Bigg wrote:
Woah Woah Woah!
Xtian rock ripping off Manson? Truly you jest.
Well now im off to try and locate some mp3s,thats gotta be some seriously crazy shit.
They broke up ages ago. However, you can get some sample mp3s here. You need to see their wardrobe to really get the full effect.  I think there are full clips here  They actually toured with Manson for a while, and caught a lot of flack for it. That led to their breakup, actually, having their christian brothers hate on them so.

Oh, there's also a christian Nine Inch Nails ripoff called Argyle Park. They also quit after 1 album, same reasons. The lead singer actually went atheist because christians were so mean to him for being stylistically similar to Trent Reznor.  

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks.Listened to the

Thanks.Listened to the clips,they are almost cool......almost.

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heinous Berzerker

Heinous Berzerker wrote:

Yeah, it really sux, the politics and all. It makes me think of the John Lennon song, "Imagine". I have no idea what it is like for a Canadian to cross over into the US, but I can tell you for certain that it sux for me to cross over into Canada ever since September 8, 2001. The border was on red alert and all of a sudden I wasn't welcome in Canada. I had never even been ID'd before that day. I had a DWI in Texas that I wasn't even convicted of, just the fact that I was arrested for it was enough to keep me out of Canada.

keep in mind the fact that I love Canada, one thing I really like is that once you are in Canada, there are very few cops/police, as opposed to the US. You can scarcely drive down the street in a big US city without seeing a cop, and in the big cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Chicago, etc, there are police helicopters flying around constantly. Cop cars are everywhere.

It just saddens me that I can't go over to Dawson anymore and hear all the people say "Ayy". Politics, religion, racism, I am sick of it all. Later. HB

It's a pain in the arse going either way. Once the new rules roll around where we are all required to have passports to move back and forth across the border, it'll get a lot worse. Ironically, I had an easier time getting my dog across the border than I did my own butt. Go figure.

In Vancouver you don't see a huge police presence, but you do see them where they are not needed and never where they are. The stereotype of the dnout shop-cop isn't so much a stereotype around here as much as it's a truism. We do have the helicopters and such, but probably not to the same degree that American cities do.

It's a shame you can't come over to visit our country any more. We need a larger athiest presence.

Cheers

Urban. 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian rock bands are

Christian rock bands are sooooooooo funny. Somehow you can always tell their heart just isn't in it. And, yes, they always have to rip someone else off. Why? Because Christianity has been dead as a force for inspiration and creativity for 200+ years.

A Christian RATM would be just...wrong.  

BTW I am Canadian and I, also, feel the Pearl Jam is one of the greatest bands ever. I'm always bemused to hear Americans calling Nirvana the quintessential grunge band - for me, at the time, it was all about Pearl Jam with Nirvana a distant second.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Urbanredd
Urbanredd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suspect that their hearts

I suspect that their hearts aren't in it because they really don't believe in the manner in which they are trying to get their aged, bloated message across. Let's face it, as a rock star, you're supposed to exude sex, drugs and, well, rock n roll. Not really a series of "christian" notions.

Pearl Jam! Yeah Yeah Yeah! Best of the grunge.  

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
I have been out of town

I have been out of town awhile, so this is the first time I have posted in a week, I keep getting a "User Warning--Access Denied...blah blah blah" when I try to post and then it takes me back to the homepage, I hope this goes through. I hope I haven't been banned from here, I was drunk one night and said some things, I don't know, I thought this was freethinking, but anyway...I guess I will have to work on becoming less argumentative.

I still argue that the RATM band is not even Christian rock, they are something entirely different.

I would also have to argue with...

"Why? Because Christianity has been dead as a force for inspiration and creativity for 200+ years."

Totally disagree with the above as far as America goes, the whole US must be hillbilly 101 compared to everywhere else in the world. There are LOTS of inspired Christians here, they are motivated, they are even creative, they are unswayable, unconsciounable (is that even a word?) and unconvinceable. You can tell them that ten plus ten equals twenty and they will tell you, No, it equals 100, and then they will convince ten other people of their conviction and you will have an entire force against you. That is how the LAW works, it doesn't make any sense. I have noticed a lot of people on this forum that think in the same way, yet they are convinced that they are atheists and/or they are "thinking" in some way, but they are so programmed it is scary... 

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
I will just copy and paste

I will just copy and paste this, I don't know WTF it is.

• user warning: Access denied for user 'rrcom'@'localhost' to database 'anti_drupal' query: db_lock_table LOCK TABLES rrcom_cache WRITE in /home/rrcom/public_html/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.

It takes me 5 tries just to post anything, help would be appreciated.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heinous - The errors you

Heinous - The errors you are getting are being investigated.  I am getting the errors too.  Hang in there!

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Heinous - The

jce wrote:

Heinous - The errors you are getting are being investigated. I am getting the errors too. Hang in there!

I feel, so , relieved, I ... thought... I was the only one...goodness! 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm getting this at the top

I'm getting this at the top of the page a lot , too now, but have no problem posting.

Heinous Berzerker
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I'm

MattShizzle wrote:
I'm getting this at the top of the page a lot , too now, but have no problem posting.

Yeah, but WTF is it PimpMasterSchizzle? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No idea, I suck at computer

No idea, I suck at computer stuff.