What right do we have?

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
What right do we have?

I've been asked this alot lately, and can't seem to come up with a very convincing response.  Friends will always ask me "well what right do you have to impose freedom on people?  If the muslims like sewing female genitalia together what right do we have to tell them that's not right?  It's right to them; we just have a different worldview" 

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.” – Carl Sagan

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Booclay wrote: I've been

Booclay wrote:
I've been asked this alot lately, and can't seem to come up with a very convincing response. Friends will always ask me "well what right do you have to impose freedom on people? If the muslims like sewing female genitalia together what right do we have to tell them that's not right? It's right to them; we just have a different worldview"

Well, I don't think any muslim women who are the recipients of said genitalia sewing think it's right at all.  But I do know that there are some muslim women that do think it's right that they be forced to wear burkhas, or to be subservient to men.  I would guess that the majority of people living under these restrictions would choose freedom, if allowed to answer without fear of retribution.  You see lots of people escaping these countries where things like this go on, but you sure dont see many people clamoring to get in there and adopt that way of life.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

AReasonableLu
AReasonableLu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Giving someone freedom does

Giving someone freedom does not necessarily mean they change anything about their lives.  Freedom includes the choice to maintain whatever state you were in before being given the freedom to change.  If a person, with freedom, changed an aspect of their life, I would assume that yes, they would value that freedom.

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”
-Christopher Hitchens

"I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of Him."
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, if the women are

Well, if the women are sewing their own vaginas shut, then more power to them.  However, I do not think that is the case.  I have never heard anyone speak of sewing some important hole shut and opt for it.  Now, I will admit that I have not had many "vagina sewn shut" conversations, which I will tomorrow; however, I cannot believe anyone will be for it.  Personally, I don't want to sew anything I have shut.

So, until people freely are sewing themselves shut, we should probably help anyone who is having it done by somebody else.  Another horror is female "circumcision."  If you have ever seen a video of it, you will see that the young girls are not freely allowing it to happen.  Ergo, we act.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to approach this on a

I want to approach this on a different level though.  Is it hypocritical to impose freedom on people?

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.” – Carl Sagan

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think your verbiage

I think your verbiage biases the answer.  By saying something is "imposed," it immediately separates it from a concept like freedom.  Regimes, religions, and cultural norms are imposed.  Choices, rational discussions, and freedom are offered.  It seems a small matter, but the semantics here blare the truth of the matter.

If we said those women could not sew their vaginas shut or that they could not wear veils, then we would be imposing Western values on them.  However, if we say that they may choose whether to do so, it is a different situation altogether. 

Now, one may want to claim that we are imposing on the men of these nations.  That is a fallacy.  We are due freedom until it impinges upon the freedom of another.  I am free but not so free as to be allowed to kill someone else.  I am free but not so free as to be allowed to put an innocent in prison.  Those men have extended their freedom to the point that the freedom imposes on the women.  This is unacceptable.  They claim absolute freedom where they have no right to. 

We are offering freedom to the women and offering a reminder of the limitations of absolute freedom to the men.

Post Scriptum:  I am not arguing that our war of aggression in Iraq is acceptable.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to approach this on a

I want to approach this on a different level though.  Is it hypocritical to impose freedom on people?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Booclay wrote: I want to

Booclay wrote:

OK.  Then, the answer is no.  For the reasons given in my previous post, freedom is necessarily offered not imposed; therefore, offering freedom is diametrically opposed to imposing some other view.  So, it avoids hypocrisy.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
sorry for the repost nero,

sorry for the repost nero, didn't mean to.  Thx for your answer, that cleared up some troubles i've been having

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
No worries.  I am glad that

No worries.  I am glad that it was an error.  I thought you might be a little thick there for a minute.  We all know that anyone who is thick is ripe to being converted to organized religion.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm thinner than air, so no

I'm thinner than air, so no worries

qbg
User is offlineOffline
People can not be forced to

People can not be forced to be free and people can not be given genuine freedom. The people must desire and fight for their freedom. Any other way is doomed to failure.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
so does this mean

so does this mean fundamentalist islamic women don't deserve freedom because they haven't fought for it themselves? 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote: People can not

qbg wrote:
People can not be forced to be free and people can not be given genuine freedom. The people must desire and fight for their freedom. Any other way is doomed to failure.

Mmmmmm. That is a delicious platitude if I have ever read one.  Most Americans have never fought for any sort of freedom; yet, we seem to be doing alright in that area.  Did you read that in an American Civics text?

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've pondered something

I've pondered something like this before but put it in different terms.

Do we have the right to overthrow someone else's dictator?

What I'm getting at is  - How can we say that democracy is the right way for someone else to run their country? Without and absolute measure it's just our bias that we value the good parts of democracy and forgive the bad.

Overthrowing someone else's dictator is meddling with their government, something that we would resent if it was tried with ours.

I'm not saying that these are my personal politics. I'd like to see all theocracies and dictatorships dismantled. This is just a moral/philosophical question that I haven't found a completely suitable answer for.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to point out that

I have to point out that female circumcision is not necessarily a muslim practice.  It is practiced mostly in African countries. 

It is a very painful practice and is almost always physically and emotionally damaging.  I don't think any person has the right to inflict pain and torture on another.  Of course, my opinion is a western opinion. However, though we have a different 'wordlview' the facts remain the same and most women suffer because of that particular practice. Regardless of whether they accept it or not, they still suffer.  

That being said, the idea of imposing freedom on a person just simply doesn't make sense.  You can't 'force' a person into 'freedom'.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I would like to state

I would like to state that it is human right to be free, a universal right that a majority of the world agreed with, as such those right must be respected, even if it must mean that force has to be used on those that want to remove those rights, and impose their own irrational ideology. Force however should be the last resort, unless all other democratically, political and legal form has been exhausted, then and only then should force be used. Humans rights above all should be respect, even the right to religion, however that right to religion does not mean that they can impose their beliefs on children and those that do not follow those beliefs.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:     I

latincanuck wrote:
    I would like to state that it is human right to be free, a universal right that a majority of the world agreed with

If only the majority agree with it is is not universal.

Rights are simply concepts. They do not exist in nature, only in our minds and agreed societal standards.

Rights are like morals, Without an absolute moral authority there are no absoute morals - Wihout an absolute right giver there are not absolute rights.

In the end, you have the right to do anything you can do, everyone else has the right to stop you or to do things to you. Everything else is simply a social agreement. Americans have the right to free speech not because of some absolute right but because they have agreed as a society that everyone should have it. That right does not extend to people outside of america because they do not have the same social contract.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    freedom of speech is

freedom of speech is part of the universal rights of humans, as such these are rights given by the majority to all humans. Should we ignore the rights of others? Should we just say, hey it doesn't affect me so why should i bother? if so why do we bother dealing with other countries? why have NATO, why have Amenesty international? what is the use of having the concept of universal rights if we won't inforce them? why not just live in a world of abuse, ignorance in which irrationality rules and rational thinking is thrown out? I for one do not wish to live in a world in which the good do nothing to stop the bad. Which is why I have fought for the rights of others and will continue till i can no longer do it. For what is the use of my freedom if i cannot help others be free?

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:    

latincanuck wrote:

freedom of speech is part of the universal rights of humans, as such these are rights given by the majority to all humans. Should we ignore the rights of others? Should we just say, hey it doesn't affect me so why should i bother? if so why do we bother dealing with other countries? why have NATO, why have Amenesty international? what is the use of having the concept of universal rights if we won't inforce them? why not just live in a world of abuse, ignorance in which irrationality rules and rational thinking is thrown out? I for one do not wish to live in a world in which the good do nothing to stop the bad. Which is why I have fought for the rights of others and will continue till i can no longer do it. For what is the use of my freedom if i cannot help others be free?

I value freedom of speech and believe in defending it when it is threatened, even when it is not my own freedom being threatened or not my country it is being threatened in. What I will not do is pretend that my personal opinions are any sort of moral absolute. That is the way a theist thinks

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I completely agree

I completely agree with you on personal moral absolutes, i do not impose my personal morals on any one else. However universal rights are not considered personal morals.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
It's still only your

It's still only your personal opinion that those are universal rights. Universal meaning applying to everyone. Sure many people agree with you but it's still just opinions, there's nothing absolute.

If you use universal to mean everyone agrees on the rights then I'd say it's pretty clear thats not true. Fundamentalist muslims don't believe that free speech is a right. To them you have no right to make fun of Mohamed.

Sure the UN has agrees on certain rights to grant every human being but those only go as far as the authority of the UN. Just as the American constitution only holds true in America, the UN's agreed human rights only hold true for the countries that accept the UN's authority - which it is clear some don't. 

If you are claiming there are inate rights then I ask for evidence of this. Liking freedom does not give me the right to freedom, I like sex but having sex is not a right, someone would have to agree to have sex with me. We have freedoms because we have agreed, within our society, to allow eachother those freedoms.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
These rights are

These rights are agreed upon by 155 nations of the world, and as such have also legal bindings, hence why there are people that are charged with violations of human rights. Even from countries that do not agree with the idea of universal human rights can be charged and have been tried in violation of these rights. Now this is my personal opinion, that universal rights out weight religious rights in the regards of those rights. It also outweighs any dogmatic beliefs or rights, such from nations that have communists, facist or other non democractic nation, basically any nation in which the goverment is not elected by the people. Now it is up to those nations as well as the UN to enforce these rights, people can be like in those of muslim nations ignorant of those rights. As such it is up to other countries to enforce those rights.

However even if those rights may not be considered by other nations,it is call universal rights, because these are the rights that all humans should and do have being born human that the majority of the world has agreed to, if other nations agree or don't isn't part of the wording, but that these are the legal rights all humans have. I would personally add that no children can be indoctrined with religion or even learn about religion itself until the age of 16, at least then they can form their own identities and asumptions of religion. But that just me, i doubt that would ever pass.

Gallagher
User is offlineOffline
Yes, the children

Yes, the children indoctrination vexs me the most.  A person cannot vote until adulthood and that only decides how a country is run.  Yet from birth, they have been forced into a vote on their religion, with no alternates, to understand themselves and the whole of existance.

I don't think I worded it correctly, but you know what I mean.

I would LOVE a regulation that allowed it to be illegal to enforce your religious beliefs on your child.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Roisin Dubh wrote: Booclay

Roisin Dubh wrote:

Booclay wrote:
I've been asked this alot lately, and can't seem to come up with a very convincing response. Friends will always ask me "well what right do you have to impose freedom on people? If the muslims like sewing female genitalia together what right do we have to tell them that's not right? It's right to them; we just have a different worldview"

Well, I don't think any muslim women who are the recipients of said genitalia sewing think it's right at all. But I do know that there are some muslim women that do think it's right that they be forced to wear burkhas, or to be subservient to men. I would guess that the majority of people living under these restrictions would choose freedom, if allowed to answer without fear of retribution. You see lots of people escaping these countries where things like this go on, but you sure dont see many people clamoring to get in there and adopt that way of life.

What right would I have if I were a parent to deny my child a blood transfusion based on religious belief?

I would agree if these women were not indoctrinated by peer pressure. Most of these women arent doing this because of choice even if they think they want to. Most of these women either do it because their socieities have always done it that way and they were not exposed to other choices at a young age.

It is just as abusive as saying, "You will believe in Jesus or I will disown you".

This "What right do we have"? Certainly we should not project ourselves on our neighbor, but it cuts both ways. "What right does a man have to indoctrinate a child into blind submission without giving her the choice."

It wouldnt be practical for us to use force in stopping this, nor do I suggest it. But as a person who values individuality and knowing that people can have more than one choice, I not only see it as my right, but my duty to humanity to expand choices, not limit them.

"What right do we have" makes it sound like you are accusing us of Bush like emperialism, which is not what we do. Exposing people to things outside tunnel vision is not forcing anything on them but providing them with a voluntary oportunity to expand their thinking.

I doubt very seriously if a girl could understand multiple choices and had that education at a young age woudl CHOSE to mangle her privates. "No, we dont have the right to use force to stop this practice" but certainly we have a duty to those who dont know better to give them the oportunity to make voluntary choices.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Trying to put ethics into

Trying to put ethics into objective terms is tricky (and usually unsuccessful). 

Humans do not have the right to be happy, free, safe, or any other pleasant idea that many of us would die to protect. Humans are not due these ideas based on some mystical value that most people want to assign to our species. As someone stated before, human society agrees upon what they think are acceptable ethics and they enforce them in agreed upon methods. 

That's it.  

Brian37 wrote:
"What right do we have" makes it sound like you are accusing us of Bush like emperialism, which is not what we do. Exposing people to things outside tunnel vision is not forcing anything on them but providing them with a voluntary oportunity to expand their thinking.

This is the very heart of the discussion I think we are having.

The OP was talking about imposing freedom upon people. This suggests that we would be forcibly removing one set of ideals and replacing it with our own. Our current social contract frowns upon doing this (even though our country has done so since its inception). 

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallagher wrote: I would

Gallagher wrote:
I would LOVE a regulation that allowed it to be illegal to enforce your religious beliefs on your child.

Just what we need, the government having yet another reason to interfere with the daily lives of its people.  

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
So from what i can tell the

So from what i can tell the general response here has been that it's not in our right to "enforce" freedom on people, but we do have the right to free people from their tunnel vision -- to show them other options.  So let's say i travel to an african nation with a muslim majority.  Would you all agree that it's ok for me to show these people that they don't need to sew  labia shut (of course this wouldn't work, i'd be kicked out or even killed by the men before this ever occured), but it's not right for me to make an attempt at setting up a system whereby i try to stop the men from making the females sew their labia shut?

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Booclay wrote:

Booclay wrote:
but it's not right for me to make an attempt at setting up a system whereby i try to stop the men from making the females sew their labia shut?

'Right', for the most part, is purely subjective. The fact that you think something is right or wrong is SOLELY dependant upon what social ideology you were raised under. So, is it 'right' for you to free people from torture even if you have to use violence to do so? Absolutely! But this is based on the fact that you come from a people who's social contract guarantees a persons safety from harm.

The people who have power will always use it to supress those who do not ... in an effort to secure their power over them. Is this natural? I think so. Is it right? Depends on what you think 'right' is.

Now, there is a school of thought that suggests certain ethical boundaries can be universal / objective. I can't remember his name right now, but a philisophical scholar went to great lengths to prove that some ethical claims could be identified as 'right'. It was a long process involving how well the claim withstood argument from any person in any civilization. One of the ethical principles he thought could withstand and logical scrutiny from anyone in the world was freedom from being harmed by others.

[EDIT: Hugh Mercer Curtler : Ethical Argument, Critical Thinking in Ethics]

Heinous Berzerker
Heinous Berzerker's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:

"

'Right', for the most part, is purely subjective. The fact that you think something is right or wrong is SOLELY dependant upon what social ideology you were raised under. So, is it 'right' for you to free people from torture even if you have to use violence to do so? Absolutely! But this is based on the fact that you come from a people who's social contract guarantees a persons safety from harm.

The people who have power will always use it to supress those who do not ... in an effort to secure their power over them. Is this natural? I think so. Is it right? Depends on what you think 'right' is.

Now, there is a school of thought that suggests certain ethical boundaries can be universal / objective. I can't remember his name right now, but a philisophical scholar went to great lengths to prove that some ethical claims could be identified as 'right'. It was a long process involving how well the claim withstood argument from any person in any civilization. One of the ethical principles he thought could withstand and logical scrutiny from anyone in the world was freedom from being harmed by others."

I think you just summed up what everyone else was trying to get at but couldn't. I believe that it is an inalienable right for all people to say what they want and do what they want as long as it does no harm to others. On the other hand, words can be as harmful as violence in some instances, in fact, they are the precursor to violence a lot of the time. There is no easy answer to freedom.

People in America think they are free, but we are one of, if not THE,  most legislated and regulated populations the world has ever witnessed. Try hitchhiking in Washington state, try converting your garage into a 4th bedroom in suburban Texas without a permit, try hunting in just about any state to feed your family without a license. We, as Americans, can join the Army at 17 and go over to Iraq and kill people in the name of democracy (or a quart of oil), but can't buy beer OTC until we turn 21.

"Who, like some evil Atlas, turned the world upside down upon their shoulders, and made shams and delusions into absolute truths, and absolute truths into inviolate heresy?" Elliot Merrick, True North (this may be a misquote, but is close, I don't have th

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
well said marcusfish

well said marcusfish