Another local post: Athiests, Christians, Agnostics

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another local post: Athiests, Christians, Agnostics

Okay here's another one I just found.

Any opinions?

This one said:

The Monotheist seems to be in the most difficult position, having both to defend the particular proposition they believe and to deny all other possible ones. The second part of that is possibly more difficult than the first since they are forced to deny an almost limitless set of possible propositions.

The Atheist is likewise in a difficult position in having to deny an almost limitless set of propositions of the form "God exists".

The agnostic, on the other hand, is in the relatively strong position of being able to deny specific propositions of the form "God exists" while not having to commit to denying a myriad of propositions of which they have never considered or even formulated.

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

qbg
User is offlineOffline
Problem: many agnostics are

Problem: many agnostics are atheists, thus suggesting that the atheist part is incorrect.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The Atheist is

Quote:
The Atheist is likewise in a difficult position in having to deny an almost limitless set of propositions of the form "God exists"

Once again, class.  All together:

The burden of proof is always on the claimant.

The burden of proof is always on the claimant....

Now... write that on the board a million times.

Atheists are in the business of recognizing the simple fact that there's no reason to believe in any of the ten trillion trillion billion gazillion to the ten trillion trillionth power number of things for which there is no proof.  The thousands of gods man has invented are just a few of these things.

No proof, no belief.  Simple.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
The Atheist is likewise in a difficult position in having to deny an almost limitless set of propositions of the form "God exists"

Once again, class.  All together:

The burden of proof is always on the claimant.

The burden of proof is always on the claimant....

Now... write that on the board a million times.

Atheists are in the business of recognizing the simple fact that there's no reason to believe in any of the ten trillion trillion billion gazillion to the ten trillion trillionth power number of things for which there is no proof.  The thousands of gods man has invented are just a few of these things.

No proof, no belief.  Simple.

You gave me an idea. I wonder what would happen if we made every theist write lines for a week.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You gave me an idea.

Quote:
You gave me an idea. I wonder what would happen if we made every theist write lines for a week.

The International Chalk Shortage of 2007? 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ooo! If we buy stock in

Ooo! If we buy stock in chalk before the event we hit two birds with one stone! Or at least, wing one and nail the other.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
and we could um... chalk

and we could um... chalk our success up to understanding logic?

ugh... this has gone far enough... we've got too much on our slate already...

We really should just erase this whole episode...

start with a tabula rosa...

Books about atheism