response to this quote -

mmonte4
User is offlineOffline
response to this quote -

whats your response to this quote:
theres not a huge chasm between science and scripture, but between traditional church doctrine and scripture

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess I'd say scripture

I guess I'd say scripture can be interpretted to mean anything you really want it too due to it's lack of founding in evidence.  So yes, you can twist much of scripture to conform to current scientific ideas.

However, with new evidence, science changes, but the scripture stays the same.  Yet people will still say the scripture's words can be twisted to mean the new scientific ideas!

Much like a weather man who says there's a 70% chance of rain tomorrow, their bases are covered.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
mmonte4 wrote: whats your

mmonte4 wrote:
whats your response to this quote:
theres not a huge chasm between science and scripture, but between traditional church doctrine and scripture
First, I'd have to ask what scripture. After all, the Qur'An and the Bible both are called the scriptures. Second, I'd point out some parts where science and the scripture don't work together. Such as when the Qur'An says that mountains protect areas from earthquakes (they don't, and they're actually caused by earthquakes) or biblical the Flood.