Genarlow Wilson: A victim of Bible Belt "morality"?

Edger
User is offlineOffline
Genarlow Wilson: A victim of Bible Belt "morality"?

Unbelievable! Genarlow has already been locked up for over 2 years and now there's actually a straight faced debate on whether he should remain in prison for another 7 1/2? If this is news to you, read on.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/06/perverted_justice_updating_the_1.html

Washington Post- "Though America's history is littered with tales of perverted justice, few have captured the national spotlight like that of Genarlow Wilson, the 17-year-old sentenced to ten years in prison because he had consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old..."

None of the articles I've read mention Christianity as the culprit but considering the region, I wonder. I'm sure being black hasn't helped him much either.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This makes me very fucking

This makes me very fucking angry.  I fucking hate this state sometimes.

Who the fuck decided that a damn blow job was a felony?  Seventeen and Fifteen?  It's called horny teenagers.  Fucking fuck.  God damn this kind of shit makes me mad.

(end rant)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sickening... I can't get

Sickening...

I can't get over the fact that a 20 year old and a 15 year old is considered the same thing as a 45 year old and a 5 year old in many places in this 'land of the free' that I live...

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
At the time, Georgia law

At the time, Georgia law stipulated that it was "a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse," but a felony for them to have oral sex.

Now that's just f**ked up.  If she had initiated intercourse, it would have been a misdemeanor, but oral sex landed this guy in jail???

Had he forced her to do this, that's a different story.  However, SHE INITIATED THE SEXUAL CONTACT.  I think that makes a world of difference.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really can't express what

I really can't express what I'm feeling after reading that.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
It certainly is a

It certainly is a disgusting case.

Judge in Georgia says, "Adolescence and hormonal urges are criminal... no excuses."

Rational people in America feel their heart sink. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
The onset of puberty gives

The onset of puberty gives creates in teenagers a biological
 urge for sexual activity. 

Intelligent design, I guess. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Edger
User is offlineOffline
Today reason prevailed.

Today reason prevailed. Considering the public out cry I figured it would. The State of Georgia can still appeal. Doubtful.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/06/justice_served_the_genarlow_wi.html

It still must be a bitter-sweet time for Genarlow. With over 2 of what should have been the best years of his life wasted.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Update (original article

Update (original article here) :

Judge Cancels Bond Hearing in Teen Oral Sex Case

By BRITTANY BACON
June 27, 2007

Judge Rules That Wilson's Particular Sentence Makes Him Ineligible for Bond Release

Genarlow Wilson, whose 10-year prison sentence for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old when he was 17 was voided by a judge earlier this month, is not eligible to be released on bail while the state appeals his sentence, a judge ruled today.

The ruling, which came just days after investors announced they'd post a $1 million bond for Wilson, likely means Wilson will remain in jail for several more months. The Georgia Supreme Court is scheduled to hear his case in October.

The order, issued by Douglas County Superior Court Judge David Emerson, canceled the bond hearing that he originally set for July 5.

In his Wednesday ruling, Emerson cited a Georgia law that prevents trial courts from granting bail to people convicted of certain crimes, including aggravated child molestation, when the original sentence exceeds five years, as is the case with Wilson.

"As the court has no authority to grant an appeal bond in this case, there is no need for an evidentiary hearing on the defendant's eligibility for a bond," Emerson wrote in a three-page order.

Wilson's attorney B.J. Bernstein released a statement after the ruling saying she will file an appeal with the Georgia Court of Appeals.

Before Emerson's decision, Bernstein told ABC News that she was hopeful that her client would be released pending appeal because "this is a unique situation in which the court already has granted habeas relief and ordered Wilson free."

Bernstein did not immediately return a call Wednesday to comment after the judge's Wednesday ruling. Douglas County District Attorney David McDade, whose office originally convicted Wilson, was also unavailable for comment.

'Grave Miscarriage of Justice'

On June 11, Monroe County Superior Court Judge Thomas H. Wilson ordered Genarlow Wilson released. Judge Wilson had called the original sentence a "grave miscarriage of justice" in court papers, and replaced it with a 12-month misdemeanor sentence, plus credit for time served. According to the judge's decision, Wilson would not be required to register as a sex offender.

The one-time high school honor student and star athlete, now 21, had served more than two years of his mandatory 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex in 2003 from a 15-year-old girl when he was 17.

But just 90 minutes after the judge's June 11 ruling, Georgia Attorney General Thurbert Baker filed notice that he would appeal the decision before the Georgia Supreme Court. Baker said in a statement that the judge had overstepped his authority and that an appeal was necessary "to resolve the clearly erroneous legal issues created by the order."

Baker said in a news release that he would "seek expedited treatment of the appeal so that all legal impediments to Wilson's case can be resolved without undue delay."

Earlier this week, in anticipation of the bond hearing and in an effort to draw more attention to the case, prominent New York City investment manager Whitney Tilson and 10 others offered to provide $1 million in bail money for Wilson.

Tilson told ABC News that they deliberately offered an exceedingly large number because "it was meant to show how passionately we believe that every single day this young man sits in prison it is a continuance of this miscarriage of justice."

Today's ruling ensured that Wilson will remain behind bars as the controversial case continues, now without hope of early release on bond.

Legal Letdown Follows Short-Lived Joy

Wilson was disappointed, Bernstein told ABC News, when she initially broke the news June 11 that the state was appealing and he'd have to stay in jail until the bond hearing, rather than being released at that time.

"He already heard he had won, and people in prison were high-fiving him for his victory. I had to be the one to tell him that he had to stay in jail, and he wasn't going to get to go home with his mom," Bernstein said.

Wilson met the news of his release and subsequent order to stay in prison with mixed emotion.

"He was so happy about the court's order," Bernstein said. "When I told him he had to stay in prison, you could hear the disappointment in his voice. But he's trying to stay positive."

In his ruling, Judge Wilson wrote, "The fact that Genarlow Wilson has spent two years in prison for what is now classified as a misdemeanor, and without assistance from this court, will spend eight more years in prison, is a grave miscarriage of justice."

The judge added, "If this court or any court cannot recognize the injustice of what has occurred here, then our court system has lost sight of the goal our judicial system has always strived to accomplish … justice being served in a fair and equal manner."

Shortly after the June 11 ruling, Attorney General Baker filed notice that he would appeal the decision before the Georgia Supreme Court.

"We begged [Baker] not to appeal," Bernstein told ABC News. She was hoping to get Wilson out on bond, arguing that he does not have a prior record and poses no flight risk.

Bernstein told ABC News she's also fighting to ensure that Wilson's name is fully cleared.

"We absolutely do not want him to be let out with a sex offender registry, which would mean he couldn't live within 1,000 feet of a church or a school, or ever work with kids," she said.

The idea that he could leave prison as a registered sex offender is particularly troubling to Wilson, who told Bernstein he wanted to talk with young people about the potential legal consequences of their actions.

Bernstein argued in a June 6 hearing that Wilson's 10-year sentence and the requirement that he register as a sex offender violated the Constitution. Bernstein also noted that while the Georgia legislature last year changed the law under which Wilson had been convicted largely because of Wilson's story, he could not benefit from the change because the law did not apply retroactively to his case.

Oral sex between teens that once constituted aggravated child molestation and carried a mandatory sentence and sex offender registration is now considered a misdemeanor and is punishable by no more than one year in jail. The amendment also threw away the sex offender registry requirement in these particular cases.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Its the sex offender

Its the sex offender thing that gets to me.

This isn't the first time I've heard of someone getting put on or threatened with that list. It is way too vague of a term. I know here in Missouri at least you can be considered a sex offender for something like public indecency. So a flasher or streaker is just as bad as a pedophile?

I know people who were giving consensual oral sex when they were 12 and 13, its just something horny teenagers do. It'd be great if instead of trying to arrest them all we taught them proper safe sex practices and what not. 

I dont see why this case wouldn't be open and shut. This problem should be fixed before he has to serve anymore time.  

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: "When I told

Susan wrote:
"When I told him he had to stay in prison, you could hear the disappointment in his voice. But he's trying to stay positive."

This fellow is a far greater man than I. 

Vote with a bullet.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This was just completely

This was just completely insane. It should never have been brought to trial in the first place.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Justice is blind? Sure, as

Justice is blind? Sure, as long as you stay within the religious bounds of the area you live in.

How sad.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
-- The governor does not

-- The governor does not have pardon power in Georgia, but the prosecutor has the power to set aside the verdict. The prosecutor Eddie Barker, apparently waiting for an admission of guilt, has said "the one person who can change things at this point is Genarlow. The ball's in his court." --

It never fails... someone's Ego is at stake. 

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote: -- The

neptewn wrote:

-- The governor does not have pardon power in Georgia, but the prosecutor has the power to set aside the verdict. The prosecutor Eddie Barker, apparently waiting for an admission of guilt, has said "the one person who can change things at this point is Genarlow. The ball's in his court." --

It never fails... someone's Ego is at stake. 

From what little I know of the case, it sounds like the prosecutor has a hard on for Wilson (excuse the pun)

So, am I to understand that he won't set aside the verdict therefore Wilson is to remain in jail.  However, if Wilson admits his guilt, then the prosecutor will set aside the verdict.  And because he admitted guilt, Wilson will still rot in jail.  That makes no sense at all.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Justice

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Justice is blind? Sure, as long as you stay within the religious bounds of the area you live in.

How sad.

And we are all guranteed equal protection under the law ... to the extent which you can pay for it. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote: Susan

marcusfish wrote:

Susan wrote:
"When I told him he had to stay in prison, you could hear the disappointment in his voice. But he's trying to stay positive."

This fellow is a far greater man than I.

Vote with a bullet.

That is two posts now that you have put "vote with a bullit" that I know of.

I doubt very seriously that any of the co-founders of this site or even the vast majority of the members of this site advocate violence. If that "vote with a bullit" IS  a sarcastic statement it might be wise to put it in context as to not confuse people. Twice I have read that in completely seperate posts on different issues and thought "WTF?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marcusfish:  The "vote

Marcusfish:  The "vote with a bullet" comment is getting kind of close to the line on site Rule 2.3.

The RRS never advocates violence in any form.

Please do not use that phrase on this site.

We don't want to issue an official warning about this, but will if it happens again.