Pro-Atheism essay - Your thoughts?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

Alright, before you boast at me for anything, i'll just let you know that I'm only 15 and I do make mistakes. So, please, let me know if any of this is inaccurate.

WARNING - SOME OF THE BELOW IMAGES ARE DISTURBING DO NOT LOOK AT IF YOU ARE AT WORK OR AREN'T SHOCKED.

Since the beginning of man, the world has wanted to know the answers to lifes simple questions,
1) Why are we Here?
2) Where are we From?
3) Where are we going?

There have been hundreds, if not thousands, if not millions of different legends and beliefs. I'm not here to make a mockery of a single one, i'm going to hit them all.

For example, i'm going to start with a very simple religion, Christianity. If you do not follow Christianity, you are doomed to eternal hellfire, that is the which of satan's torture in which you will be tortured in ways not taught possible. Now, this is said to be the "lake of fire." But eternal suffering could be several different things for different people, for example, someone's torture would be having to suck satan's big fat dick every 2 hours, and other people's torture would be having to watch endless reruns of Barney. Everyone views suffering in a different way, and I think people take it way out of context. Now, based on Christian(When I say this I mainly refer to Catholics and Born Agains, but the principle is basically the same for all Christianity.) principles, if I don't follow the word of god, I am doomed to Hell. Even if I so much as doubt his presence, it is an unforgiveable sin and I will not be forgiven. Now, this is what I don't understand here...

If I can't be forgiven for not believing something, I shouldn't be forgiven? Lets say your friend says he made a million dollars and if you don't believe him you're not gonna get some of it. Naturally, you wouldn't believe him without hard evidence. Once you saw the hard evidence, you'd definitely believe that in some way he had acquired this much money.

Back on to the issue of "forgiving" sins. Now, the following pictures are real, historical things that occurred in past that you could've been forgiven by this all mighty god for...

Allowing, suggesting, or participating in the extermination of OVER 6 MILLION Jewish people?

Participating in a racist organization, such as the KKK, and segregating society from prospering?

Mass murdering people?

Suicide bombing buildings, thus tearing families apart?

[Not posting a picture for the next one, for obvious reasons]

Raping somebody?

--

There are countless more sins that you can be forgiven for, I could make a list all day if I cared to, but i'm not. Anyway, all of those you can still do, and get into this "Heaven" where the "Roads are paved with gold" by repenting and asking forgiveness for your sins?

Yet, disbelieving in the holy spirit sends you straight to hell, even though nothing has happened to humanity (physically) by your being a non believer? This makes no sense to me.

AND, even if you do pick the christian god, what if you're wrong? And the god is the islam one, here's a quote from the Quran.

4:168 Lo! those who disbelieve and deal in wrong, Allah will never forgive them, neither will He guide them unto a road,

4:169 Except the road of hell, wherein they will abide for ever. And that is ever easy for Allah.

This means that no matter what you did, if it was considered wrong by Allah, and you had been praying to Jesus, you're not going to be forgiven and let into heaven.

There are currently 21 religions that have more then 600,000 followers that follow them. The third most popular "religion" is Atheism (I know it's not considered a religion, however it falls under the category) with 1.1 billion followers, near HALF of which reside in China.

The Islam people have 1.3 billion people, so that means, if I was to follow islam and the quran, get into heaven, i'd have to live with the fact that the other 4.7 billion (estimation) people from this earth live in a lake of fire, eternal suffering, etc. Honestly, that would not be for me. Same thing would work for Christianity, and vice versa.

None of these religions have hard, solid evidence, in which these bibles have been proven contradictory. The bible has 377 contradictions, the Quran has 21. These contradictions make no sense to a LOT of people, and that's where there are offsprings of every religion, take Mormons for an example. I don't feel like dwindling deep into this subject because I don't really think you guys need me to.

The only reason people follow these beliefs is because of a fear tactic and false-misrepresentation. Now, i'm not saying there's no good in religion, i'm just saying that the bads outweigh the worse.

If there was one true god, and he existed with hard evidence, then there would be no more wars, or tragedy. There is no proof of satan, as well as no proof of allah, etc.

Some religions understand this stuff, like Buddhism, now, personally, I agree with a lot of the buddha's teachings, and I respect them a lot more, as they are rational, the only questionable thing I really see (now I haven't done much studying here so correct me if i'm wrong) is that buddhists believe in reincarnation. However, buddhism is a religion you don't need to take every bit to follow, that's ok.

However, "cafeteria" christian's, catholics, jews, or even muslims would have a hard time if they didn't follow the infallible word of their god.

If god is all loving like he says he is, none of the above would happen.

Being a Nonbeliever is the best bet, because if the gospels of jesus christ were actually true, then you didn't mock the lord by believing in another deity, thus you would apologize and talk about the flaws you saw with the other ones and that proof has been shown and you are now a full believer.

This would be the most logical best bet.

Now, i'm gonna tackle pascal's wager here, he says that you have a 50/50 chance if you believe, that is wrong. Here's why.

Lets say there are a thousand religions in the world (there are far more)

50/1000 = 0.05

Your religion has a 0.05% chance of being correct, and if you didn't follow it right, according to most of these books, you're screwed. If you didn't believe in anything, you're not screwed. Thus, proving pascal's wager inaccurate.

--

I thank you for reading, and I hope you can correct me on any problems I made, as I will be submitting this as an essay paper once classes are back in session.

Written by Joseph Bull, may not be copied, reproduced or transmitted without the proper consent of Joseph Bull.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Nick
User is offlineOffline

Good points.

Hitler killed people like Anne Frank for being Jewish... But the Christian God would damn her and her entire family for an ETERNITY of Hellfire and suffering for it.

Now, tell me... Which is more evil? Eye-wink

Wilson: "We were afraid that if you found out you solved a case with absolutely no medical evidence you'd think you were God." House: "God doesn't limp."

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

Nick_Poling wrote:
Good points.

Hitler killed people like Anne Frank for being Jewish... But the Christian God would damn her and her entire family for an ETERNITY of Hellfire and suffering for it.

Now, tell me... Which is more evil? Eye-wink

That's exactly what i'm trying to say.

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

Why would god make masturbation a sin if he was going to create tissues and lotion?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

applesforadam wrote:
Why would god make masturbation a sin if he was going to create tissues and lotion?
You don't need tissues and lotion...

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

*dripping sarcasm* :smt031

DrFear
User is offlineOffline

the nazis and the 9/11 hijackers did what they did not because they expected to be forgiven, but because they believed it was the will of god/allah. same with the KKK and most white power organizations. they do what they do in the name of god, and believe it is god's will, and that the word of god backs them up (which it actually does, to a certain degree).
Manson...well...he just believed it was the will of The Beatles and that the almighty word of The Beatles backed him up (which it totally didn't).... Eye-wink

Fear is the mindkiller.

Flawed_Existence
User is offlineOffline

I believe that a good way to conclude any paper such as this would be to quote the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Ahh. I love Nietzsche. Hehe Laughing out loud

As for any corrections to your paper, all I would do is reread it and correct some of the grammatical and punctuation errors. Good luck!

-Flawed Existence

Gott ist tot! Gott bleibt tot! Und wir haben ihn get?tet!
-Friedrich Nietzsche's "God is Dead" quote in the original German.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

I urge you to remove the pieces that can be construed as opinion by your teacher.
Definitely include the pieces concerning religious influences upon historical events without interjecting your conclusion. It works for Dawkins and Carrier because they are established. lol. When we do it, it's viewed as hate and the facts are ignored.
Cite the wars and crimes against humanity referencing the relevant religion without straying to another with similar qualities. For instance, don't correlate Hitler with Bush. It's okay to do so in a chat forum, in my opinion. However, I'm not looking for a grade.
Rather than 'pro-atheism', use the 'anti-theism' approach. Perhaps include that a completely atheistic society, devoid of religious influence, has never been seen on Earth. This could include reasons from your own logical conclusions. Such as, religions constant use of evangelism and proselytization of the ignorant masses. e.g. catholic missions in the new world.
Cover just the facts, with the source of the statistics, in the part about 'which religion is correct' and Pascal's wager.
Other than those things, it is well-intentioned. I applaud your, dare I say, audacity for approaching the subject in a school setting. Remember that we must maintain the 'scientific approach' to religion lest we become a similar ideological monster.
In the end, if your teacher is an objectively motivated educator, your grade will determine your success. Try to treat the grade with the same objectivity and you'll undoubtedly be a fantastic writer.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.