Washington Times Editor in Chief Insults Atheists. hmm...are they....SCARED!!!???!!!!

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Washington Times Editor in Chief Insults Atheists. hmm...are they....SCARED!!!???!!!!

Revival time with the village atheist
May 25, 2007 (http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070525-124030-2881r.htm)

The jobs don't pay a lot, and you take most of your pay in self-esteem, but somebody is always trying out for village idiot or village atheist. Often they're one and the same.

Lately we've seen fresh pursuit of these positions, fueled by a rash of books about atheism, or more accurately, irrational screeds mocking those who have the faith the authors clearly envy. Atheists are organizing. They have their registered lobbyist now on Capitol Hill, and they're planning a revival meeting in Arlington in September.

No tents, no hymns, and there won't be sawdust on the trail, but big names in the godless firmament are nevertheless promised, including Prof. Richard Dawkins, the recognized Elmer Gantry of the movement; Christopher Hitchens, the author of witty books about his latest visions, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali, famously abused by Islamist thugs. Madelyn Murray O'Hair, the lodestar of the movement, however, is still dead. But there will be a screening of "The Life of Brian," the Monty Python tale that has become "The Passion of the Christ" for hip heathen; caricature artists "captur[ing] convention moments of your choice" (at $15 per moment), workshops on "secular parenting," and sessions on "how to organize, develop and maintain an Atheist Meet-up," which is presumably where skeptical singles meet, greet and gaze dreamily into each other's not-so-heavenly eyes.

Merely driving by a church to shake a fist at the steeple on a Sunday morning is no longer enough to make an atheist tingle. They're taking tips from the televangelists they affect to despise. Prof. Dawkins, the Oxford don turned shill for the thrill of believing in nothing, has an Internet site that Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker would have envied, with a button to click to contribute money to support proselytizing for the cult of unbelief. The professor, who sits in something called the Charles Simonyi Chair for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford when he is not jetting hither and yon to search for opportunities at Atheist Meet-ups, is trying to get his co-religionists to call themselves "Brights," as opposed to what one of his admirers call the "knuckle-dragging morons" whose lives have been touched by divine fire.

One of the most fervent evangelists is Christopher Hitchens, whose book "god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" is currently for atheists what Chairman Mao's Little Red Book was for the Chinese millions only yesterday. (Note that God gets only a small-g in the title; Hitch is an overflowing font of cleverness.) Hitch particularly despises the legacy of Mother Teresa, whom he calls "the ghoul of Calcutta," and when the Vatican opened proceedings to make her a saint he was invited to testify as a devil's advocate. Since such witnesses for the prosecution are no longer called "devil's advocates," Hitch volunteered to "represent the devil pro-bono."

The death the other day of the Rev. Jerry Falwell put another log on the fire of atheist orthodoxy. Not for the atheists the Roman admonition -- "nil nisi bonum" -- to speak only good of the dead. Hitch has said some of the meanest things about the founder of the Moral Majority, but not all. An editorialist in Arkansas, of all unlikely places, couldn't wait to throw a few rocks. Paul Greenberg, who displays his piety and unction daily in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, went on the attack before Mr. Falwell was even in the cold, cold ground of southwest Virginia. Declaring himself "a survivor of 2,000 years of Christian charity," the sage of Little Rock's Fourche Bayou bottoms likened the reverend to Susan Sontag and Noam Chomsky, and noting that Mr. Falwell "once participated in a civil dialog with spokesmen for homosexual Americans," sneered: "I can't recall him ever falling into decency again."

The atheists reckon they don't have much time. Prof. Dawkins warns that America, with its law, literature and customs rooted in Judeo-Christian religion, is slipping into nothing less than a new Dark Age, with only worthies like himself -- or maybe only himself -- standing between civilization and the abyss. The professor enjoys the reputation of a man who doesn't suffer fools gladly, suffering himself being a full-time job, but the wares of an apostle of despair are not easy to sell. When a debate opponent greeted him not long ago with hand extended for a friendly shake, the professor kept his hands at his side. "You, sir," he said, "are an ignorant bigot." It was a sally worthy of the freshman at the sophomore smoker.

Wesley Pruden is editor in chief of The Times.

===================================
Contact information:

The Washington Times
Washington Times

Washington Times
3600 New York Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002-1947
(202) 636-3000

When contacting the media, please be polite and professional. Express your specific concerns regarding that particular news report or commentary, and be sure to indicate exactly what you would like the media outlet to do differently in the future.

=====================================
I believe Mr. Pruden and the Washington Times owes atheists a public apology, and I have asked for such, and suggest you do the same.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
From the looney, moony

From the looney, moony times, should we expect anything else? The guy who owns the newspaper thinks he's the reincarnation of Jesus and donates to George Bush. Having insane people and yellow journalistic rags insult Atheists is probably a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Myung_Moon

The Times has a circulation of around 100,000, so does my local paper the Wichita Eagle with a much smaller population than D.C. It's safe to say nobody is really reading this article.

I also find it ironic that the author of the article won the H.L. Mencken prize in 1991.  Considering his hatred for Atheists will he return the prize that bears the name of one of the most famous American Atheist journalists?  Probably not. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
An apology by laying on a

An apology by laying on a guilt trip produces a lie from them. He is under no obligation to bow to us. I'd simply say if all he has is "Dem der gawdless people are gonna spread cooties"

My response would be, "Ok, prove it."

I'd throw Jefferson's quote about the birth and death of Jesus being magic at him and ask him if Jefferson was "unMerken".

I dont like pollitcall correctness and I dont think we need to silence them by shouting YOU HURT MY FEELINGS!

That is a nasty game that will eventually silence everyone.

Just point out the errors in his logic and ask him if proven wrong would he be willing to change his position.

That allows him to change his position without feeling forced to do so. A succession like that sticks much better than having them end up bitter about something they truely didnt mean.

e-mail for that author would help too if you could post it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Just point

Brian37 wrote:
Just point out the errors in his logic and ask him if proven wrong would he be willing to change his position.

I agree, but did he make any points? All I saw was his being nasty about people he didn't like. He had nothing rational to add to the discussion, just comparing the vocal atheists to people he dislikes. I'm not really sure what the response is to that.

I was considering sending him a letter, thanking him for making the religious right look even more bigotted than they did before he wrote his manifesto.  

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I dont like

Brian37 wrote:
I dont like pollitcall correctness and I dont think we need to silence them by shouting YOU HURT MY FEELINGS!

BTW I am behind this 100%. I am SOOOO not interested in joining the "you can only say things that I think are warm and fuzzy" PC idiots in the world. It can do nothing but harm us as an enlightened (if we ever become enlightened) society.  

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
OMG I'm so f'n pissed right

OMG I'm so f'n pissed right now I'm shaking.  I can't believe that bullshit was actually spewed out on a national paper.  I tried to call, but it's after hours here and I kept going in circles on their stupid voice prompt system.  Actually, I think it may have been a good thing that I wasn't able to reach anyone, I don't think I could have controlled myself.  I shouldn't have read this while I'm working, I know that now.

WTF is that about the authors envy the religious belief??  We don't envy jack about belief, we pity their ignorant minds.  And as for not speaking well of the dead when Fallwell died, I don't think they ever said a nice word about O'Hare when she was brutelly murdered with her son. 

Quote:
but somebody is always trying out for village idiot or village atheist. Often they're one and the same.
And yet the smartest people in the world have the lowest theist rate in the world.  Looks like we did find the village idiot, and his name is Wesley Pruden.