Penn & Teller - Bullshit: Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Dali Lama

meshblorg
meshblorg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Penn & Teller - Bullshit: Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Dali Lama

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4935138732025185923&q=bullshit+ghandi+duration%3Along

I'm aware that I may have incorrectly spelled their names in my topic. I don't care though 'cause they're shitbags.

This episode of Penn & Teller features Christopher Hitchens, an atheist who recently published and released the book "God Is Not Great."  He also wrote a book exposing the lies about Mother Teresa.

I enjoyed it thuroughly and I think you all will too.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kicking this... I've heard

Kicking this...

I've heard good things about the Dalai Lama from both scientists and lay people, so I'm wondering what's so bad about the dude...

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka P&T basically say

Iruka

P&T basically say that before China took Tibet it was a place where the majority were seriously opressed by the priest caste (lamas) and that it is likely that this is what they would want to go back to if they got Tibet back. I didn't feel they really prooved anything against the current Dalai Lama. Their case was much stronger against Mother Theresa.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Agnostic.  I

I agree with Agnostic.  I didn't realize how dark the other side of Mother Theresa was.  I'm definitely going to do some more research.

Thanks for posting this by the way! 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I bet the left and right

I bet the left and right theists in this country will completly miss the point, much like blacks and whites did with Malcom X's life.

Malcom X learned the same thing we all should learn. He idiolized his mentor, who turned out to be a womanizer and a political con man, no different that Mother Tarresa. Even if people wanted to believe in the good of the Lama or Gandi, they too were human, not super heros.

I myself often quote Jefferson. But I do not deny the bad he did as well. He owned slaves.  

The point of this half hour was to expose the illusion of worshiping heros, anyone, and they even poked fun at Hitchens too. "After a few more ciggarettes and a couple more drinks".

But, unfortunatly the politically correct people will say, "Dont criticise religion or these people".

People are people and do not diserve a pedistal because of a title or the clothing they wear. If we never questioned, we'd all jump off a cliff.

I also cringe when atheists say, "Penn, or Hitchens or Dawkins" are my hero. No they are not, and I doubt that they would want us looking up to them, I do think they merely want us to listen.

That half hour is an example of how humanity still needs to get beyond worship. Be it a celebrity, a political party, a leader, a nation or religious leader. If these people ask you to follow them then they damned sure should be open to question and scrutiny. If they want obdeiance, tell them to go look for another slave. 

BTW, thanks for putting this up. I never get to see the show.  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
There is an episode on The

There is an episode on The Bible, but it doesn't cover enough in half an hour.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I must watch this when I

I must watch this when I have time.

Biodroid
Biodroid's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

Iruka

P&T basically say that before China took Tibet it was a place where the majority were seriously opressed by the priest caste (lamas) and that it is likely that this is what they would want to go back to if they got Tibet back. I didn't feel they really prooved anything against the current Dalai Lama. Their case was much stronger against Mother Theresa.

Persoanlly I think their strongest point against the Dalai Lama's "Holier Than Thou" rep was that he was using the CIA to finance a guerilla training camp...so much for tha abhorrence of violence

PonkeyDon
User is offlineOffline
"I also cringe when

"I also cringe when atheists say, "Penn, or Hitchens or Dawkins" are my hero. No they are not, and I doubt that they would want us looking up to them, I do think they merely want us to listen."

Well said. The furthest I would go is admiring their courage. As I said on a YouTube thread somewhere, the beauty of independant thought is that your views don't have to be in lock step, or diametrically opposed to anyone elses. It is a la carte with room for your own ideas.

There is also plenty of dogamatism and egomania in the world of atheism, no more or no less than any other field though - especially online! Laughing

Question the religious on their articles of faith long enough and they will want to burn your house down. Faith teaches poor debating skills.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I already knew about Mother

I already knew about Mother Teresa's hypocracy, but now Ghandi and the Lhama have been brought down several pegs in my book as well.

Even Ghandi's own granddson said that Ghandi never claimed to be a saint and how true that is.

Lesson learned. No more hero worship for me.  

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

DewiMorgan
DewiMorgan's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Grandma tried to make a

My Grandma tried to make a documentary about Mother T. However, as I heard it, when my grandmother trekked across India to interview her, she was kept waiting, then eventually turned away without an audience.

So I'm biased against Mother T. However, in her defence for that occasion, she had been (incorrectly) informed by another documentary maker that my Grandma was out to make her look bad, so fair enough, maybe. In amusing karmic balance, the other documentary maker then made Mother T look really bad in his own documentary Laughing out loud

Wonder if it was Christopher Hitchens...

Not impressed by Hitchens' and Penn&Teller's accusations about any of the three really. I agree with the summary that they are all humans.

Christopher Hitchens didn't come off very well, but then he never does. Smiling I honestly don't think he cares, and I'm glad - he's way more fun that way.

T="theists who's posts are fun-to-read, truth-seeking and insightful". Your own T will be different, but Tdewi includes { Avecrien, Cory T, crocaduck, JHenson, jread, wavefreak }