Why dont atheist need something to believe in?

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Why dont atheist need something to believe in?

I cant think straight today. Im quitting smoking and my head is not right lol. Anway on to the question. I was arguing back and forth with some coworkers about religion. I told a coworker the reason I think religion exist is so people can feel better about reality. Reality being you live and you die and you dont go off to some magical place in the clouds. I was presented the question that i really had no idea how to answer. The question was something like: If I think that people need something to believe in just to feel better why is it that an atheist does not need to believe in anything? I was not sure how to answer so Im bringing the question to all of you! Thanks!

JWMaher
JWMaher's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm comfortable not knowing

I'm comfortable not knowing the answers to all of life's questions.

Just like there was a time in my life when I couldn't find the volume of a sphere or explain pot odds in Texas Hold 'Em, I didn't make up an explanation to tide me over.  I have patience that the answers will all come naturally (without a leap of faith), and have no shame in saying, "I don't know." if something is outside the scope of what I currently know.

David Cross: So I was watching this one show where - there's a guy on stage and he pretends he has contact with the dead and people are watching.
Audience Member: Crossing Over.
David Cross: No, not Crossing Over. It was uh, church.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe in lots of

I believe in lots of things...just not magic.  LOL

Good luck with the no-smoking thing!  I keep trying to quit too. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: I believe in

jce wrote:

I believe in lots of things...just not magic.

Can you explain that a bit more to me? Im not sure I quite understand.  

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure that a lot of us

I'm sure that a lot of us would like to believe that we continue to exist after death, but we prefer to live, think, and act grounded in reason and logic. It is illogical to believe in something for which we have seen no evidence, be it god, heaven, or hell, so we give up the comfort that they might afford us so that we may live our lives making the best, most logical decisions possible.

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: I

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
I told a coworker the reason I think religion exist is so people can feel better about reality. Reality being you live and you die and you dont go off to some magical place in the clouds. I was presented the question that i really had no idea how to answer. The question was something like: If I think that people need something to believe in just to feel better why is it that an atheist does not need to believe in anything?

Sounds to me like you meant to say religions exist because some people need the hope of an afterlife in order to deal with their mortality, not all people.

I do not need the promise of 72 virgins in some speculative afterlife to keep me happy in this life. 

-HCG

p.s. A while back on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart said something to the effect of: "72 virgins?  Tell you what I want, 71 virgins and some Gatorade."

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: Can

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Can you explain that a bit more to me? Im not sure I quite understand.

Sure!  When I am not being a smart-ass, I believe in the power of humanity and it's ability to invoke change for the better.  I believe knowledge trumps everything.  I believe, as the so-called, most intelligent beings on this planet, that it is our responsibility as humans to take care of it and everyone and everything on it.

When I am being a smart-ass, I believe in beer.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for fixing that up

Thanks for fixing that up for me. I told you I cant think straight today. Tongue out

And thanks JCE for that explanation.  

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If you look at the

If you look at the Christians, they paint a bleak picture of the world. I don't blame people for wanting to cling to something if they believe everyone is potentially evil, already damned. Taking religion away from them is removing a huge piece of their humanity in the process. If your humanity and your view of the world isn't dependent on certain "ifs," there's little motive to cling to those "ifs."

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist DO believe in

Atheist DO believe in things, just not supernatural things.

I believe continuing to learn and grow is a good thing. 

I believe that if I do a good job, I will usually be rewarded in some way. 

I believe if I take good care of my kitties, they will be happy and healthy for as long as possible. 

I also believe that if I don't pay my taxes, the IRS will come after me.

Atheists do believe in things, it's just that beliefs are reality-based.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all the answers

Thanks for all the answers everyone! Im not sure why I couldnt just answer it myself. I showed him some of the answers here and as it turned out he just was not accepting any answer. I guess I shouldnt have bothered with him if no answer is good enough. Tongue out